What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do You like the new forums?

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Oh god no! I hate it! and i can't unsee what i just saw it's horrible make it stop!!!
    Wow, this is...well, looks like someone used Microsoft Word 2013 and copied the look. I hope there are changes for this in the future, makes me not even want to view the forums at all...and maybe that is their plan.

I still have a tinfoil hat going with that one...that PWE wants to drive away anybody but the fanbois that love the fluff. Hell, I just noticed this morning that hitting quote no longer takes you to the bottom of the page to the quote - you have to scroll down there manually. Lolwut? Did they think they weren't getting enough complaints about the forums or something so they had to add more TRIBBLE?

edit: LMFAO...c-r-a-p...is a filtered word? Are these kindergarten forums?
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Oh god no! I hate it! and i can't unsee what i just saw it's horrible make it stop!!!
    Navigation is a pain, no Page Next at the bottom for example (seriously?).

The way things are quoted is awkward (boundaries are near invisible).

I miss a New Activity view option without including ALL games on Arc (so I can easily just read current topics of Star Trek Online specifically).

Also, a preview of the original post before entering a thread was a nice feature.

All of this. The new features are kind of nice, but I feel we've lost way more than we've gained, including the dev tracker.

Edit: Hmmm.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    dalolorn wrote: »

I miss a New Activity view option without including ALL games on Arc (so I can easily just read current topics of Star Trek Online specifically).

Also, a preview of the original post before entering a thread was a nice feature.

All of this. The new features are kind of nice, but I feel we've lost way more than we've gained, including the dev tracker.

With no devtracker in place, it makes it more difficult for folks to complain that the devs aren't posting here. Problem resolution through obfuscation....
  • Options
    edited June 2015

With no devtracker in place, it makes it more difficult for folks to complain that the devs aren't posting here. Problem resolution through obfuscation....

Eh, I suspect Heinlein's razor might be applicable here...

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    Are these kindergarten forums?

Was this a rhetorical question?

HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Meh don't really care one way or the other
    Meh, I don't really care either way. I've used Vanilla in the past, and it doesn't steer me one way or the other.

I will say that Vanilla is damn expensive, so it better be worth it. I'm sure it is for PWE as they probably got a deal to have it implemented in all their games.

One thing I'd like to see is to have the page numbers both on top AND on the bottom. It's annoying to have to scroll back up in order to change the page...

Edit: It's very strange that I'm listed as a Neverwinter User as I've never touch the thing.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    Eh, I suspect Heinlein's razor might be applicable here...

With these forums, I'd say it gets more into Heineken's Draughtkeg. :win
    shpoks wrote: »
    Are these kindergarten forums?

Was this a rhetorical question?

It's just a trip seeing all the words that end up being filtered...can't even imagine what the age limit they set it at for some of the words to be filtered like they are...meh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21mRarusEmc
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    I only voted for the worst option as there wasn't a better "moderately-bad" choice (as opposed to a straight up "it's bad" choice).

My biggest gripe is the fact that the new forums still do not have a default widescreen format, or a sort of selective resolution format (that adjusted the width of posts according to a user-selected resolution size) to make up for all the MySpace-like glitz and glamor that is now possible with each post and to make use of all this dead space to the left and right of each post. I really do wish they did have full and widescreen options that can be toggled in the user settings.

As it is, it feels like I'm still back in the late 90s or early 2000s when it was only full-screen standard for forums until widescreen monitors gradually became common enough to start allowing for widescreen or resolution-based forum scaling. I wouldn't be complaining as much if there was a tasteful game-themed background for each game-specific forum like some of NCSoft's or Blizzard's game forums, but here, with about 5-6 inches of dead dark gray space on either side of a post on a large monitor, it makes the forums feel "cheap". If Vanilla is as great as the Devs are making it out to be, please prove it by theming each game forum to their respective games.

I also miss the ability to preview a thread just by hovering the cursor over the thread title, so you could guess as to whether the thread was worth checking out (legitimate non-rant discussion) or just a waste of time (rant-filled openers).

As well, I'm also annoyed that they don't have readily available font color and resizing options built into the text editor, and that it requires 3rd party addons and script editors just to make visible. Again, if Vanilla is all that it's cracked up to be, it should be capable of doing what the old forums did but better. Restrict the level of font resizing so you don't have size 50 letters in an opening rant. Allow some color options to emphasize points or make certain posts easier to read (such when posting layouts or equipment).

I could care less about ungodly-sized signature images or animations, but all the hyping of what Vanilla can do isn't lining up with what's available to us vs what was available to us in the old forums.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Okay, I'm slowly warming up to these forums. Slowly. Very slowly. Still needs a lot of work.
  • Options
    kavase wrote: »
    One thing I'd like to see is to have the page numbers both on top AND on the bottom. It's annoying to have to scroll back up in order to change the page...

You mean like this?

Untitled_zpsbx2fz4qx.png

You can set this up youself by following the instructions posted inthe following thread

some handy forum tools

I hope that helps make the forum easier for you to use. It certainly made it nicer for me.

To be honest, when I clicked on that link I hoped it would go without having to install third party software to fix their mess for them.

• Options
    markjames1markjames1 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    I hate the new forum. Badly designed up to 75% empty black screen at high resolution. Missing core features and unable to view new star trek posts making the forums rather useless as a forum.

This. This is how I feel exactly.

star-trek-london-captains_zps420d10b3.jpg

These Are The Voyages...
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    wildweasal wrote: »
    What is your opinion of the new Fourms

the old forum was dated and tired, and much in need of some updating.. but i fear these are not the updates we were hoping for.. just yet. there has been some great ui injections created by some talented forum users, and while they certainly make the place somewhat nicer to visit, their tweaking of things can only go so far. i hope those talented few are given a little more reign and allowed to influence a deeper change to the forum.

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/12557727/#Comment_12557727

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/12558761#Comment_12558761

the above links contain information for ui injections and instructions on how to use them.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User

You mean like this?

Untitled_zpsbx2fz4qx.png

You can set this up youself by following the instructions posted inthe following thread

some handy forum tools

I hope that helps make the forum easier for you to use. It certainly made it nicer for me.

To be honest, when I clicked on that link I hoped it would go without having to install third party software to fix their mess for them.

Wholly concurred. It's not our job to fix their mess.
  • Options
    gibsonunderscoregibsonunderscore Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    It's not bad. Not winning any awards, but it'll do.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Well, I guess signature images have limits. Would be nice if there was some notification about it... :p
  • Options
    anyonkaanyonka Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    It just takes a bit of getting use to.
  • Options
    minababeminababe Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I absolutely can't stand it. Everything seems harder to make out. What's up with all these website developers who think it's perfectly fine to have everything in a tiny font? Also, quoted posts are virtually indistinguishable from regular text.
    My Foundry Mission--Name: Falling Star | Mission ID: HQIH36HAW | Faction: FED
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I'm not really a fan of the new forums thus far. I'm hoping it's just a case of - I don't like change - but it just seems like a downgrade right now.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    I hope the lag on the forum is soon a thing of the past. It has not been fast since the move here, but i figured that was because of the various sections being moved around. However it's been a week and its time to get this forum and its quirks fixed
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    Do what you want koji. The players that wrote that software were being nice when they decided to share it with the rest of the community. You can use the software to make using the forum easier until PWE fixes things, or you can refuse and sulk, while chewing on your dissatisfaction with the forum like regurgitated stale vomit.

I'm grateful we still have people here willing to help their fellow players out.

Did you see me attacking the people who made your plugins? You've missed the point by a mile. In the end, third party software or no, it's still all a result of PWE's TRIBBLE Web design. It shouldn't have to fall upon the shoulders of users to fix what PWE got wrong.
    minababe wrote: »
    I absolutely can't stand it. Everything seems harder to make out. What's up with all these website developers who think it's perfectly fine to have everything in a tiny font? Also, quoted posts are virtually indistinguishable from regular text.

I can only gather that they're still using screen resolutions from the 1990s.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Do what you want koji. The players that wrote that software were being nice when they decided to share it with the rest of the community. You can use the software to make using the forum easier until PWE fixes things, or you can refuse and sulk, while chewing on your dissatisfaction with the forum like regurgitated stale vomit.

I'm grateful we still have people here willing to help their fellow players out.

I don't care. I don't want to use 3rd party software. I am going to keep voicing my opinion that these forums suck until they get the message. If I have to keep voicing my opinion for years, that's their own dam fault. PWE made this mess and it falls on PWE to fix it.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    Did you see me attacking the people who made your plugins? You've missed the point by a mile. In the end, third party software or no, it's still all a result of PWE's TRIBBLE Web design. It shouldn't have to fall upon the shoulders of users to fix what PWE got wrong.

I didn't miss anything. You didn't say anything about not wanting to use third party software. you said
    Wholly concurred. It's not our job to fix their mess.

which says to me that you'd rather sulk and wait for PWE to get around to making changes than improve your experience with the help of those members of the community skilled in improving the forum.

If you walked into a club with broken seating, a jukebox that skips on every other song, and an ugly puke green wallpaper, would you expect the "community" to fix it up or the owner?
  • Options
    silverskyhigh2silverskyhigh2 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    I would say there are still stuff that needs to add or be fixed before people get use to the new fourms, but there is one add-on that they need and that is the next page or select page number at the bottom like they do at the top. at least you don't have to click on an icon to start a quick comment.
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    yeah, wtf is this thing anyway, vanilla. not even any chocolate sauce to pour on it
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    TBH, I don't really care. Previous one was good too. This one is good too. I had a little problem with Noscript disabling the login script, but now it's all fine and dandy...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User

You mean like this?

Untitled_zpsbx2fz4qx.png

some handy forum tools

Oh so very much this. It should not be the responsibility of forum members to make the forums usable.

Also why is it that whenever I try to leave a comment that the last comment I made is pasted at the top of the new message? Attempting to remove it messes up the formatting of the new message.

Looks like reddit is now the best option for keeping up with STO.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    Who told you that you couldn't voice your opinion? As long as you follow the forum rules you can voice your objections... However there eventually does come a point where you have to accept changes that you don't like or you start you start sounding like a nutter and people stop taking anything you say seriously.

PvP'rs haven't just accepted "changes they don't like" (game-breaking gear and powers). Foundry authors haven't just accepted the terrible search interface for missions. We keep talking about it because both of those are problems that need fixing and won't get fixed if we just shut up and "accept changes we don't like."

Would you call me a nutter if I went to that club koj mentioned, and reminded the owner every day as I came in that I can't sit down because the seats are broken?
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    taffyrailwaytaffyrailway Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Every issue I have with these forums has been mentioned by others previously, although I would like to make a special note of whomever thought it was a good idea to put pagination links at the TOP of a thread(??) and the other (possibly same designer) who thought removing the underline on links and making them the same color as text was also a good idea (at least make them a different color!).

But hey, you know, at least it's not as bad as Discourse.
  • Options
    m1cha3lh31nzm1cha3lh31nz Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    No, I don't like it and when it came out first It did not like me too. There was absolutely no way to login for posting.
    Maybe that was not intended, but updates that won't work are not good promotion!
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    In general I am not loving the layout. Too many categories and too much clicking to try and find them all. It might be time to take the forum down to 6-8 total categories.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.