test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do You like the new forums?

Comments

• kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    Oh god no! I hate it! and i can't unsee what i just saw it's horrible make it stop!!!
    iconians wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... we got a few features we didn't have on the old forums, such as post reporting.

vBulletin does have that feature, that is in most versions of it that I've used. I have no idea why it wasn't operational in the ones PWE/Cryptic were using.

I have no idea why a lot of things weren't operational in the ones PWE/Cryptic were using. But at least this is a step in the right direction.

Only if you like walking backwards.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Yes i love it i had a nerdgasm!!
    Well... we got a few features we didn't have on the old forums, such as post reporting.

vBulletin does have that feature, that is in most versions of it that I've used. I have no idea why it wasn't operational in the ones PWE/Cryptic were using.

I have no idea why a lot of things weren't operational in the ones PWE/Cryptic were using. But at least this is a step in the right direction.

Vanilla still needs some work, but considering I couldn't even use the dev tracker from the old forums (it wouldn't let me go to individual pages on the dev tracker, making it worthless), no post reporting function (they had the gall to tell us to send in a support ticket for forum moderation), and no image support except for the Art forums...

... yeah, Vanilla is better. Not perfect. But the old forums were a bigger step backwards than this.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited June 2015
    Oh god no! I hate it! and i can't unsee what i just saw it's horrible make it stop!!!

Vanilla still needs some work, but considering I couldn't even use the dev tracker from the old forums (it wouldn't let me go to individual pages on the dev tracker, making it worthless), no post reporting function (they had the gall to tell us to send in a support ticket for forum moderation), and no image support except for the Art forums...

... yeah, Vanilla is better. Not perfect. But the old forums were a bigger step backwards than this.

Apparently you missed the part where they had to turn off access to the PM Inbox because of the major security fuckup involved. Also, there were threads disappearing left and right but could still be accessed if you knew how, and a lot of other comical bugs that still haven't been fixed. Also, there's the bit where you have to scroll back to the top to go to the next page, and clicking on a thread with new posts doesn't actually take you the new posts.

These forums are a trainwreck.

Apparently you missed the part where they had to turn off access to the PM Inbox because of the major security fuckup involved. Also, there were threads disappearing left and right but could still be accessed if you knew how, and a lot of other comical bugs that still haven't been fixed. Also, there's the bit where you have to scroll back to the top to go to the next page, and clicking on a thread with new posts doesn't actually take you the new posts.

These forums are a trainwreck.

I guess when you're used to a trainwreck forum structure, you just start comparing trainwrecks to other trainwrecks.

wtGZXmf.jpg

ExtxpTp.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,434 Community Moderator
    Meh don't really care one way or the other
    Well... I attribute some of the problems to the Forum Migration. That's quite a bit of stuff they're shoving over here and it probably gave the forum a hernia. Give it some time. We should have PMs back sooner or later.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    vakna4837 wrote: »
    Do you think this forum "upgrade" is actually an improvement though? I mean you can't even navigate to the next page of a thread without scrolling all the way back up to the top. It's like some semi-web design savvy person tried to modernise it with sleeker looks but due to a lack of coding knowledge made everything mechanically worse.

Literally everything about this new forum is a downgrade from the previous one. Where is the justification for moving? Shouldn't there be something that makes this better for justify spending the time migrating? Or do businesses do things for TRIBBLE and giggles these days?

The only thing wrong with this new forum is that PWE seems to have subscribed only for the most basic version of Vanilla. Star Citizen also uses Vanilla forum software. Go look at how sweet they have their forum setup. We could have something just as nice with a Star Trek theme if PWE wanted to do it.

I'm not so sure PWE is using the most basic version of Vanilla. I'm seeing features enabled that you only get for one of the more expensive subscription plans. Namely, dividing the forum up by game product line/language.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    I'm not so sure PWE is using the most basic version of Vanilla. I'm seeing features enabled that you only get for one of the more expensive subscription plans. Namely, dividing the forum up by game product line/language.

Hence my use of the word "Seems". Depending on what PWE signed up for and finally sets up, Vanilla can be set up as a very nice forum. Too early to tell this early in the merge/crossover. Which is why I'm only Meh. Could be a lot better... Could be a lot worse.

Hopefully it'll get better. Rome wasn't built in a day.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • radaikofromulusradaikofromulus Member Posts: 164 Arc User

Hence my use of the word "Seems". Depending on what PWE signed up for and finally sets up, Vanilla can be set up as a very nice forum. Too early to tell this early in the merge/crossover. Which is why I'm only Meh. Could be a lot better... Could be a lot worse.

Maybe they should re-poll a little farther into the future. I was critical myself, but I think only because of how bloated and in-friendly this setup is to users. I could be wrong but shouldn't a forum be somewhat intuitive?
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    Now that I can log in, I'll have to play around with it... the jury is still out, but for me,a forum is a form. The haters will still rant here, no matter what it looks like...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Now that I can log in, I'll have to play around with it... the jury is still out, but for me,a forum is a form. The haters will still rant here, no matter what it looks like...

CM

All of my complaints are about its functionality. While its dull gray colors are hideous, the previous forums had the same dull gray colors which also made them look hideous. Read back a few posts about what happened to PMs and so forth.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Does that mean we are all Nero, waiting to burn the forums down??
    I suk at the violin.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    this new forum is not bad. my main problem is the size of the signatures; they are too big; this is worse when these signatures are animated gif. this is really difficult to read the forum. 500 x 150 should be enough
  • earwigvr6earwigvr6 Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    They are awful.... Simply awful.....

Also I ahve hundreds of posts which seem to have vanished as it says 0 posts ?

Also I am NOT a Neverwinter user, even though it says I am ? lol///
  • blessedladyboyblessedladyboy Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    Can't find PvP forum?
  • ukcaptain420ukcaptain420 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Only thing that's bothering me is the fact I'm apparently a 'Champions Online User'.
    SCM - Infected(S) - DMG Out: 11,776,567 DPS: 114,224.70 (28.7% of Team) - Pinky@ukcaptain420
    I reserve the right to have a completely different standpoint depending on my mood.
  • ukcaptain420ukcaptain420 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Can't find PvP forum?
    PvP Forum

this new forum is not bad. my main problem is the size of the signatures; they are too big; this is worse when these signatures are animated gif. this is really difficult to read the forum. 500 x 150 should be enough
    Click your name at the top, then go to preferences, then signature settings, then 'Hide signatures always' or ' Strip images out of signatures'.
    SCM - Infected(S) - DMG Out: 11,776,567 DPS: 114,224.70 (28.7% of Team) - Pinky@ukcaptain420
    I reserve the right to have a completely different standpoint depending on my mood.
  • drakonlord56drakonlord56 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Whose Idea was it to use this crappy Vanilla forum interface? This has a cheap feel to it. The migration did not go smooth at all. It also took to long for the what we got. Two thumbs down, way down, in my opinion. :(
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    Can't find PvP forum?
    PvP Forum

Click your name at the top, then go to preferences, then signature settings, then 'Hide signatures always' or ' Strip images out of signatures'.

thx :)
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    No I don't. It took almost a week for my login to register over here and on top of that it's reading me as a Forsaken World user of which I played that game for five minutes and didn't like it. The forums themselves are nice but I don't think PWE ujnderstands much about them atm and really should have beta tested before they did this.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I like how everything is more consolidated and that we can actually embed video and such but give me back my signature dammit and NO I'm not a Champions Online User wtf!?
    signature.png
  • tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I hate these new forums.. first of all.. where is all the historic information? Where is my signature? Where is my post count? Where is my signon date? Where are all the various pvp build information? For that matter, where are the PvP forums? Only at cryptic can you do something like this and not get fired. I mean.. over a week downtime and we get this??? In any other corp, you would have needed to make a working copy of the forums that had all functionality enabled, had data migration (to that point in time) already moved over (and working out the kinks along the way), so that all information was actually moved over to it. But not at cryptic.. the easiest paycheck in the nation!

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    tfomega wrote: »
    I hate these new forums.. first of all.. where is all the historic information? Where is my signature? Where is my post count? Where is my signon date? Where are all the various pvp build information? For that matter, where are the PvP forums? Only at cryptic can you do something like this and not get fired. I mean.. over a week downtime and we get this??? In any other corp, you would have needed to make a working copy of the forums that had all functionality enabled, had data migration (to that point in time) already moved over (and working out the kinks along the way), so that all information was actually moved over to it. But not at cryptic.. the easiest paycheck in the nation!

Check your facts. This isn't Cryptic's work, This is Perfect World Entertainment's doing.

Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I consider myself to be a kind human being with empathy for most others, but I would smile if someone told me that PWE fired the person who made the decision to move the old forums to this new forum platform.

I appreciate everything that PWE and Cryptic do to continue delivering great Star Trek content to fans, but I am 100 percent certain this is the WORST forum design/platform I've ever seen.

I realize that many of us only speak up when we have a problem, so it seems like the majority of forum members are whiny haters with nothing constructive to say. I'm sure that kind of environment discourages PWE and Cryptic from wanting to focus resources on these forums. However, if players can't easily communicate with developers in something as simple as a forum message board then I'm worried the devs will have even LESS exposure to the problems that players are experiencing and the devs will be even LESS likely to address the bugs impacting players.

This new forum is an eyesore with terrible navigation and even worse functionality. I'm surprised no one at PWE or Cryptic stopped and said, "We probably shouldn't make the forums more difficult and frustrating to use since many players who use the forums are already frustrated about a problem in the game and want to notify us via the forums so we can address the issue."
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    Just takes a little getting used to.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    hojain2020 wrote: »
    Just takes a little getting used to.

Overall it wouldn't be bad if there was not a massive usability problem with paging.
  • Captain AmahinoCaptain Amahino Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I miss the mouse-over on each thread title which used to give a preview of the original post content.

Agreed, but quoting this highlights another missing feature, where the hell is the multi-quote???? And the multi-quote was severely limited...crippled in fact with a limit of three in the old forums. This isn't an improvement at all.

At least the avatar and signature issue seemed to have improved.
  • tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    tfomega wrote: »

Check your facts. This isn't Cryptic's work, This is Perfect World Entertainment's doing.

Who cares? They are one and the same in my book

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • strous1strous1 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Sad! Sad! Sad! Where is my Star Trek picture, not Neverwinter? Sad! Sad! Sad!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PnP Red Box DM & Player (74 - ?). NWN + SoU + HotU (4-03),
    NWN Diamond Edition, Neverwinter Nights Complete (NWN + NWN2).
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    Somehow the white text on dark backgrounds hurts my eyes even worse than the old forums.
    *Notes the new, random, seemingly arbitrary titles for some users.* Oh wow, the great march of horrible horribleness continues.