Install Arc
Options

Game's totally unplayable

Comments

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,334 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    You're being civil. I cannot afford to be, these white knights are being ridiculous and TRIBBLE to the nth degree, I'm sorry to say.

Everyone can afford to be civil. When one chooses not to be it only reflects bad upon the one being uncivil.

A large part of the problem is that people use different definitions . The OP mentioned being unable to login and others brought in lag and SNR.

In the case of the OP, following his report in the bug section, may very well be related to his use of steam as launcher.

The "admission of guilt" which many seem to refer to is aimed at lag due to unforeseen interactions of specific traits/powers. Especially the command powers seem to be at fault.

For everything else one needs to use a proper bug fixing SOP (standard operating procedure for those unfamiliar with the term). That means providing the developers/techs at cryptic with something to work with other than "hey, it does not work. <insert tantrum here>"

Even if the probable cause if not client side data provided helps to pinpoint the problem and rule out possible other factors which interfere.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    saxmanusmcsaxmanusmc Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Since Delta Quadrant opened, the ability lag and rubber-banding has progressively gotten worse. I know I am not the only one who experiences this. I was running an ISA just the other day and the entire team was lagging so much that we failed because no one could pop off their abilities.

What I have personally noticed though is that it seems to be more pronounced in ISA than in some of the other STFs. In CE surprisingly I do not have much issue. The Iconian STFs are a hit and miss.

It really is frustrating and it is getting old. It needs attention from the Devs.
    FA Janin Delwynn - Fed Tac Officer
    FA Dion - Romulan Engineer Officer
    FA Zophie Delwynn - Fed Science Officer
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    saxmanusmc wrote: »
    It really is frustrating and it is getting old. It needs attention from the Devs.
    It is getting attention from the Devs. Trendy posted this on Friday:
    They're currently playing with fixes and going through internal testing. It'll probably hit Tribble at some point for live analysis. ETA unknown still though.

Until then the easiest thing to do is just play sub-50 characters who do not have the Traits which are causing the issue. If you avoid the areas were 50s+ hangout and do not use any of the Traits causing the issue you can have a relatively easy play experience.

I know it is pain to not use the character you want to use, but it is a work-around until the Trait issue gets resolved.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    saxmanusmcsaxmanusmc Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

Until then the easiest thing to do is just play sub-50 characters who do not have the Traits which are causing the issue. If you avoid the areas were 50s+ hangout and do not use any of the Traits causing the issue you can have a relatively easy play experience.

I know it is pain to not use the character you want to use, but it is a work-around until the Trait issue gets resolved.

Yeah been trying to do this. I need to just focus on my delta recruit I guess. I just have so much fun though with my Sci captain part gen/torp boat build...lol. When the lag is manageable that is....:eek:
    FA Janin Delwynn - Fed Tac Officer
    FA Dion - Romulan Engineer Officer
    FA Zophie Delwynn - Fed Science Officer
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    That is the prerogative of those who will judge my character. But I cannot in good conscience respect some of these saboteurs' opinions who do not show any inkling of empathy towards their fellow players currently incapable of enjoying their paid for entertainment. Thus far, from what I've observed, these "saboteurs" have demonstrated willingness to actively confuse the issues and they've provided real incentive to the powers that be to not act at all. Disappointing really. And, to top it all off, they went as far as putting the blame on the victims. Their feedback is not even remotely helpful as they aren't subject (probably don't want to be) to the same conditions in order to see the lag/rubberbanding reproduced and therefore proven to exist.

They can do whatever they want, free will and such, and the forum doesn't have to be a place to forge friendships. But I cannot help but find that sort of behavior purposely ignorant, distasteful and sightly deceitful.

So yes, I'm going to lose my cool sometimes; I will also, sometimes rudely but honestly call them out on it. Tough!
    So... instead of stopping to consider that the other posters are in fact trying to help, you have decided to label them "deniers" and treat them like the enemy...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I mean seriously look at this person's comment.

It's been demonstrated some of the lag is caused by the new command ships and specialization trees. Cryptic advertised and sold these problematic products, customers putting faith in the company. But a number of players cannot enjoy these products.

This white knight's conclusion the issue is that it's all hyperbole and exaggeration... Where is the solution? This person arrogantly (or ignorantly?) argues that players should avoid using these defective products that players bought in good faith for the purpose of playing this game. But nooo, it would be blasphemous to say Cryptic needs to do something about it.

If this poster's logic doesn't hurt your brain I do not know what will.

Actually his response is that while it may be true that some of the game is unplayable. The whole game is not "totally unplayable. And then proceeds with a merry and parental example of exaggerating hyperbole.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    feiqa wrote: »
    Actually his response is that while it may be true that some of the game is unplayable. The whole game is not "totally unplayable. And then proceeds with a merry and parental example of exaggerating hyperbole.
    Yeah, if the OP was a thesis, the thesis statement would be "This game is totally unplayable."

As has been demonstrated multiple times in the thread this is NOT true. There are issues, but most people don't have the same scale of problem that the OP has.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

Thanks for posting this. It's about the only tiny thread of hope left of this broken state of the game - IN the manner I play it IE: Special Task Force Missions. I'm all grinded out of getting stuff that's at this point and for Months (K/FFA STF) completely broken due to lag, and I know it's not on my end considering how widespread the issue is.

I'm also going to refuse to be bothered by posters who are pitifully trying to start arguments over other people's serious problems regarding the state of the game as is experienced by them. No need of ignore buttons or ignore lists when its so transparent.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Helping? rofl. Sure, arguing against the reported lag's existence is very helpful.

People have been "helping" in this fandom for ever .

KDF have issues ? Not their problem .
    PVP? Same answer .
    Foundry? Same answer .
    Dill / EC / Doffing / Tour of the Universe / old STF's / nerfs left, right & center? Same answer .

Well either that or flinging the old "entitled" one more time .

... ppl's issues are routinely ignored, mocked and dismissed for a variety of reasons , many times for no other reason but to provide an opposing view, turning ppl's issues into sport ...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    People have been "helping" in this fandom for ever .

KDF have issues ? Not their problem .
    PVP? Same answer .
    Foundry? Same answer .
    Dill / EC / Doffing / Tour of the Universe / old STF's / needs left, right & center? Same answer .

Well either that or flinging the old "entitled" one more time .

... ppl's issues are routinely ignored, mocked and dismissed for a variety of reasons , many times for no other reason but to provide an opposing view, turning ppl's issues into sport ...
    Well, the easiest way to get other players to mock you unsympathetically is to overexaggerate the problem you claim to have. Trying to claim that NO ONE can play the game as it is right now is a big statement... with little supporting evidence.

Like I've said before... there are issues. BUT these are not the sort of doom and gloom level issues the OP is trying to claim they are.

Also, the devs aren't dumb, they can tell the difference between a real problem and hype. Adding hype just confuses the issue.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    stonelokistoneloki Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What it comes down to is the game has MANY issues. Can that make some people feel like it is unplayable? Yes. Will others hold their banners high and say just weave around whats broke and play anyway? Yes.

From a point of view for some this game is broke and unplayable, for others they are so star eyed it will always work even if they can't play portions of it.

This isn't something to fight each other about, this isn't something the playerbase has caused or anyone posting their problems on the forums. This is a problem with the game, and its a real problem that needs to be fixed.

People need to stop focusing on who is right and who is wrong and start focusing on making sure its fixed.

I honestly doubt this game has many seasons left in it, people may argue that to death but if all that's left is a laggy mess again people will move on, leave, and how many more players are going to join, rejoin, or spend a penny if they don't think its ever going to work right?

This is a problem with the game, no matter what side of the fence your on it has issues, issues dating back to beta for some, and that's not changing.
    2p1n3_by_rainrivermusic-d6fyhfm_zpsemwlec9g.gif
  • Options
    emt27emt27 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    was a daily player... stopped playing a year ago due to boring grind, server crashes, lack of kdf attention... Started downloading patch, then decided to check forums while I waited... guess I should of came here first...

so sad that game has been destroyed, broken, gone in some sort of tangent that only Q could have thought up...

well I will try to log in after patch, but... well we will see
    Say something relavant or hold your tongue
  • Options
    emt27emt27 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    yep... crash... can't even load... good job devs... c if you can work out some of the bugs in a month or two... like just loading the game
    Say something relavant or hold your tongue
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Also, the devs aren't dumb, they can tell the difference between a real problem and hype. Adding hype just confuses the issue.

Read that a few times. ;)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,376 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Look, the plain fact is that the OP has engaged in blatant hyperbole. The game is not "totally unplayable"; in fact, even the queued events aren't "totally unplayable", else there wouldn't be thread upon thread complaining about how people don't know how to play them.

There are issues with some of the STFs. The correct way to deal with them is to point out the specifics, preferably on the bugs thread, and get those dealt with; whining that "the whole game is unplayable" will merely lead many to tune you out, as the statement is clearly false on the face of it. (You may only ever play STFs; it does not therefore follow that everyone only plays STFs, nor that they are the whole of the game.)

One would think Trekkies would be down with using simple logic. Perhaps my standards are too high?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If all the OP does is play ISA or can't log in, then yes, the game is totally unplayable.

If all you do is run foundry missions and ERP on Risa, the game is playable.

Understand?

I have no idea why people get so offended that any post offering an opinion, is somehow "speaking for the community" or addressing the entirety of the game. The plain fact is that there's ample evidence of this Dev acknowledged problem. The only hyperbole around here is the level of epic idiocy it takes to be offended by a person's experience.

So if you don't experience the lag, great. Accept that you have nothing constructive to add and see yourself out of the discussion.
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Fatman's completely right in his idea, even if I don't play PvE unless strictly necessary for gear. However game's unplayable when I do things like ISA, or PvP matches that kind of everytime are laggy as hell. If you think ISA is bad, imagine 10 or 20 players fighting each other, it gets a cluster**** :P
    It always was, but in S8 it was funny, not broken and gameplay was fluid, to say the least.
    Nowadays it cannot be played, hence PvP queues dead. Ker'rat still survives and doesn't have many issues as most of the times it's you versus someone else, hit and run things. If you wanna PvP, you must have friends from times past to host privates.

I'm no casual player, and in nearly all of the things I try to do, lag and FPS stalls kick in like a truck.
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Of course it's unplayable.

Space SFTs: killed
    REP: Killed
    Cpt. Skill points: added for a few days and then killed
    UI: killed
    Game balance: killed
    Ship Classes: killed (y, this game is uber-DPs only)
    BOffs: Killed
    Doffing: recently mostly killed
    Xchange: still bugged.

The only thing that actually seems to work are elite ground runs, ignoring the UI bugs and suddenly missing abilities.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,376 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    fatman592 wrote: »
    If all the OP does is play ISA or can't log in, then yes, the game is totally unplayable.
    No. The game as a whole is not "totally unplayable."

Analogy time again: The Department of Transportation is working on your local freeway. Traffic is backed up for miles. Surface streets, on the other hand, are wide open. But you like the freeway. Therefore, your car is completely undriveable?

I suppose basic logic is too much to expect.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    jonsills wrote: »

I guess it depends on from which perspective you view it from. From my point of view with the issue's that cryptic have admitted they're having, the fault that my ISP say they'll have fixed by the end of June then as long as I don't run anything that involves running as a team, then apart from some rubber banding I'm sector space and social zones everything else runs fine. So that pretty much leaves me with single player content. Which defies the logic of playing an MMO does it not?
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    fudgemonkfudgemonk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm pretty sure this is costing them customers. I haven't played since the release of s10 and I'm not the only one. Game is still unplayable almost a month later.......
  • Options
    sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited May 2015
    jonsills wrote: »

Analogy time again: The Department of Transportation is working on your local freeway. Traffic is backed up for miles. Surface streets, on the other hand, are wide open. But you like the freeway. Therefore, your car is completely undriveable?

I suppose basic logic is too much to expect.

The way STO is right now, it's the Highway, the Service Roads, and the main streets that are all clogged up. Some of the side streets, alleyways, and dirt roads are fine though...