test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game's totally unplayable

Comments

• synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    your use of definitive articles suggests to me that you have not considered the actual breadth of "the lag issue" and thus have not realized that it's actually several otherwise unconnected things.

If you forgot... the Cryptic post had a list of possible causes not just one.

Between tests by casuals to hardcore players & eggheads and eventually an admission by one of the Cryptic leads, multiple causes have been found that fall on Cryptic whether it be their server or their crappy-code client-side. Players have re-verified, reinstalled, used proxies, updated their drivers, rolled back their drivers, reinstalled their drivers, tweaked their internet settings, tweaked their security/firewall settings, tweaked their task manager, bugged their ISP, bugged CogentCo since some of them actually work with/for for them, and probably another handful of different things to try to handle this on their end...to no avail.

I don't know why this discussion has gone to client-side vs server side when the evidence points to it being something that Cryptic has more direct responsibility for. Whether they p00ped in the dinner bowl or p00ped in the stew, either way the meal is most likely ruined by something they did.
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Saying it's not Cryptics fault per se, does not mean it suddenly is client side.
    It is likely to be inbetween connections budging up.
    edited May 2015
    fatman592 wrote: »
    This is it exactly. Casuals would never notice lag because they are never in instances that have 5-20 ships bristling with buffs and traits to keep track of. And that's fine that they experience no lag so their preferred play style is unhindered. But to turn around a claim it's not a Cryptic issue, that it's the user's fault, is a faulty assumption based on an incomplete experience of the game.

If someone can produce a video of a lag-free run with at least 1 Command ship in their party and a host of other top-end powers, I'd say they have something to their claim that "the problem is on the user end". Until then, the evidence conclusively points to Cryptic.

Anyway, I apologize to the OP for derailing your original question (though usually that's how it goes in General Discussion). My point was mostly that it's likely Cryptic's fault for the inability to log on. I had that briefly a couple weeks ago and it was fixed within a couple days (S10 release). If it's an ongoing problem, your best bet is to make a thread in the Bug Reports section.

The song selection in those vids had me crying! LMAO
  • jaymclaughlinjaymclaughlin Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    synfoola wrote: »
    The song selection in those vids had me crying! LMAO

:D:D:cool:
    animated.gif
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    A player can play long hours and still remain "casual" in the sense that they don't min max or even fly high powered builds.

True. The big issue is definitely certain powers/mechanics in queued events or even dense instances.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    True. The big issue is definitely certain powers/mechanics in queued events or even dense instances.
    One thing that seems like a definite maybe are those "passives" that get shared with the team.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,433 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ozy83 wrote: »
    Because there isn't one physical big server handling everyone's information...
    In fact, there is. Unlike most MMO companies, Cryptic owns exactly one server farm, reportedly located outside Boston, MA. There is indeed "one big server" handling all the logins, which is why when the login server is down, you can't log into any Cryptic game.

(It's also why if you have an account to play STO, you also have one for CO and NW, even if you never play those games. I haven't touched any of my NW accounts for something over a year, because I don't care for the control schema and can't change it - but they still exist.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mrchapel7575mrchapel7575 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    your not the only mine does the same thing and I am about to give up and the idea that because there aren't a dozen threads means nothing, it just means most are submitting tickets and get no help or intelligent answer. so give them time they will be on here, oh and btw I have quit spending reall money until this is fixed
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sitting on Nimbus Three inside the pirate's fort... I experience lag when my boff team goes all out... and also random SNRs... just sitting there with no engagement.

then I go play oh... ISA and the lag gets... it gets bad
  • laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    For now the client has resumed working, but I won't keep my expectations high anyway, no one says it won't fail again, but it's a good start.
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
    edited May 2015
    Okay, I see the disconnect here.

I know that some of you love to play those queued actions - but they're not all there is to the game. I've been playing for years now, and still haven't done all the story missions.

So while the lag you're experiencing trying to run ISA may frustrate you, it does not make the game "totally unplayable" - at worst, it may make your favorite bit "unplayable", but that bit is not the whole of the game.

If I've told you once, I've told you a million times - hyperbole is literally the worst thing ever! And exaggeration is a million times worse!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dam what is up with the lag today ive never seen it so bad. lag in this game gets worse every week
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    If I've told you once, I've told you a million times - hyperbole is literally the worst thing ever! And exaggeration is a million times worse!

But isn't this hyperbole? And how can hyberbole be the worst thing ever and exaggeration is a million times worse? Either hyberbole is literally the worst thing ever or exaggeration is a million times worse is true, but they both can't be true.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Cryptic can introduce all the fancy, expensive, Lockbox BOFF abilities and Kit Modules all it wants. But it doesn't mean **** when a number of times in combat that you are:

- Repeatedly smashing an ability that is supposed to be available but doesn't activate - Hooray for UI Lag!

- You activate an ability but it does nothing and just goes into a cooldown. YAY!
    XzRTofz.gif
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Was planning on buying a Pilot ship for my Tac.

But I haven't been able to log onto my Tac in days because I keep getting Crash to Desktops, even with Safe Mode/verify files. I did manage to get in once or twice, but then crashed again within minutes of playing.

gg Cryptic. You're victims of your own "success."
  • cabezadetortugacabezadetortuga Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    But then if you can log in, you'll just have to put up with the lag. Clicking boff powers and they don't fire, or if they do, nothing happens and your power goes into cooldown. Or you rubber band across half the map. Or you think you tossed a gravity well on the spheres but fail the mission soon after because you apparently misfired once you turned attention back to the transformer.

If you're lucky you'll experience just one of those, but usually you'll get all of them at once. The game is unplayable unless you don't play STFs.

^This is very much a description of my experience in STO lately.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited May 2015
    I'm sorry to hear that you are still having problems, but look on the bright side. It's not a problem that is affecting other players. If it were there'd be dozens of angry threads made by other players on the forums instead of just your threads.

The forums here are only a small representation of the active player base. The Reddit forums have 3x the active users are there are dozens of threads around the problem afflicting many who try to play the game.
    And btw it's really childish to start another thread in this section just because the first one was moved to the section you should have posted it in in the first place.

Who made you the representative of the player base. I didn't. My wallet didn't. neither did the 150+ members of my fleets who have left this game for others in the past 6 months.

So Mods or Trendy if you see this thread please merge it with the OP's first thread which was moved to Support > PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues > Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues.

Since you're all self-righteous in your defense of what's happening, can you explain why the games exec-producer has admitted to these problems, and has acknowledged that they're trying to figure out why they're occurring? Or maybe you've not noticed the 4 lengthy lag-tastic videos produced by the DPS channels highlighting and showing the problems in a very 'real' fashion?

Just because your lucky enough not to have problems doesn't mean you're knowledgeable about those of us who do.

So please focus your busy-body attention back to things you know about.
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The forums here are only a small representation of the active player base. The Reddit forums have 3x the active users are there are dozens of threads around the problem afflicting many who try to play the game.
    so i go over to the reddit forum and they tell me there are 79 captains online reading the forum within the last 15 minutes. i guess that means there's only 26 reading them here then? :)
    edited May 2015

No. ;)

Now you're a troll.
    edited May 2015
    stf65 wrote: »
    so i go over to the reddit forum and they tell me there are 79 captains online reading the forum within the last 15 minutes. i guess that means there's only 26 reading them here then? :)

Ahh. Numbers - there are 11 online now here. 67 on Reddit.

Math is Hard ;)
    edited May 2015
    Could they both be true if we put one or both in Schroedinger's cat box?

Personally, I prefer this interpretation of the theory. It is amazing how much things can change by just changing the perspective.
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ahh. Numbers - there are 11 online now here. 67 on Reddit.

Math is Hard ;)
    that's a cute trick, considering this forum doesn't show how many are online.
    edited May 2015
    Could they both be true if we put one or both in Schroedinger's cat box?
    Schroedinger's cat box may or may not need its litter changed; the quantum states are superimposed until we collapse its wave function through observation.

I didn't know that all it took to become a troll was to refuse to shut up just because another poster told you to. Half the battle, right?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited May 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Personally, I prefer this interpretation of the theory. It is amazing how much things can change by just changing the perspective.
    the funny part is that Schrodinger used the example as a way of explaining why he thought quantum uncertainty was a flawed concept. The key flaw lies in the definition of "observation".... Quantum states get observed by pretty much everything all the time... thus they would collapse immediately and not linger in an unresolved state.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited May 2015
    the funny part is that Schrodinger used the example as a way of explaining why he thought quantum uncertainty was a flawed concept. The key flaw lies in the definition of "observation".... Quantum states get observed by pretty much everything all the time... thus they would collapse immediately and not linger in an unresolved state.

True, the cat is its own observer which means that it can never be in a live and dead state at the same time. The experiment would have to be revised to replace the cat with a piece of metal and the poisonous gas with some acid. However, having a piece of metal damaged and pristine is not as impressive as having a cat alive and dead at the same time.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    True, the cat is its own observer which means that it can never be in a live and dead state at the same time. The experiment would have to be revised to replace the cat with a piece of metal and the poisonous gas with some acid. However, having a piece of metal damaged and pristine is not as impressive as having a cat alive and dead at the same time.

Hrmm, I always just went with him not liking cats. Cause it could have been anything...rat, mouse, beetle, etc...but no, it was a cat! Even as a thought experiment...it was a cat.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Go make a thieving city elf, the savior of Thetas, like I did. When the game was problematic.

It becomes a two way middle finger.:D
    edited May 2015
    Even then it would be "observed" by gravitational interactions with nearby objects... and the Earth. Actually.... everything in the universe interacts with other things via gravity...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited May 2015
    Even then it would be "observed" by gravitational interactions with nearby objects... and the Earth. Actually.... everything in the universe interacts with other things via gravity...
    However, the gravitational interaction would be identical in either state.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited May 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Okay, I see the disconnect here.

I know that some of you love to play those queued actions - but they're not all there is to the game. I've been playing for years now, and still haven't done all the story missions.

So while the lag you're experiencing trying to run ISA may frustrate you, it does not make the game "totally unplayable" - at worst, it may make your favorite bit "unplayable", but that bit is not the whole of the game.

Glad you finally see the disconnect since it was explained to you weeks ago when you were denying the legitimacy of players complaints back then since it wasn't happening to you personally...and then in this thread even after dev confirmation of these problems was posted the previous week.

Those queued actions represent a good portion of end game progression for many players, especially those who don't want to do the story content over and over. Many of these players, including myself, bought the ships contributing to this problem which has been shown in the Wizards youtube vids and finally confirmed by a big wig.

If beaming down to an away mission were somehow disabled due to something on Cryptic's end, thereby jacking up half of your story content and then someone said, "Well MYYYyyy Romulan captain is beaming down just fine. So maybe since it's only happening to pure Federation captains, of which I have none of, maybe the problem isn't Cryptic at all, HmmMMMMM?", I'm curious as to how you would react.

So now that the problem has been laid out in different ways and the deniers have little to nothing backing them up, it's "Well, go use/do something else then. It's not that big of a deal". It was big enough of a deal for you to spend time defending/denying when you had nothing to lose compared to the people who spent money and were rewarded with sub-optimal to nigh-unplayable portions of the very reason they spent their money in the first place. Would you just shrug your shoulders and finally attempt STF queues or patrols with your story content disabled?

In my opinion the deniers on these forums, throughout this situation, haven't been the "voices of reason" that they'd like to think they are. They've been smug & condescending with virtually no reason for it as has been proved from on high while trying to school the "entitled whiners & crybabies" how to properly behave. This is a Cryptic TRIBBLE-up somewhat similar to the TRIBBLE-up with the Dyson destroyers...paid-for ships hampering the players experience which is the exact opposite effect of what they were paying for. Except now, the ships can ruin other players experience just by being on the same map.