Install Arc
Options

Game's totally unplayable

Comments

• Options
    synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    No one denies that there are problems on Cryptic's end. All people tried to do was point out that not everyone is impacted to the same degree and there can be causes of lag that are things Cryptic has no control over.

It's not rocket science.

Nope...no one denies it...
    jonsills wrote: »
    Well, Ferrari, I can assure you that I, at the very least, have not experienced any of the issues you have.

I'm starting to think maybe this old desktop of mine is magical or something - folks carry on as if the server itself is constantly crashing, the login server never works, and the old tray bugs have gone totally uncorrected. Meanwhile, I'm cruising along here, nary a glitch in sight, managing to play the game without issue as though the server weren't crashed at all. Am I tapping into some parallel-universe version of STO?

Or then again maybe the problem isn't with Cryptic at all...

And that's just one. Are you seriously going to contend that there aren't numerous posts of this type on these forums since the issue started?

Mmm...popcorn...
  • Options
    zeatrexzeatrex Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    All I hear from you is arrogance. You are upset cause the game isn't working perfectly for you and your frustrated that its working for us peons.
    Um no, you are not reading my post.
    I am pissed at:
    THE PEOPLE STATING THAT THE LAG AND ISSUES THE GAME IS HAVING IS ON THE PLAYERS END.

I will type that in capital letters, maybe then you will actually take a moment to read it and probably understand. If this isn't the point to my past post, you will want to do 1 of 2 things:
    1. Read slowly.
    2. Learn English.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    So correct me if I'm wrong here.... since Cryptic has posted that there are a couple of issues causing lag for some in the game, that means that there are never, ever any possible reasons why there could be lag otherwise? None at all?

First of all, you don't know the number to this "some" you speak off. It can be 90% of the player base in the game, like you with that mind of yours that believes only few people are having the issue because they don't activity come on this forum to post about it.
  • Options
    christianmacchristianmac Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    frankly I don't see the point of these threads....Cryptic has acknowledged and made a statement on the problems and have even admitted that there are some that are on them and that they are working on it.

That being said is there are some issues which are attributed to Cogent, the ISP that sends game data to us that they are also working on.

Therefore the fact that people keep wasting their cyber breath on an issue that has been addressed.

here is a definition for you:
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Of course some could mean 90% of the players. It could mean 99.99%. It could also mean 1%. That's not the point.

You didn't answer the question I posed to you.
    Your question doesn't faze me and I will tell you straight out I have no reason to reply to you. Someone already posted a link to a post a dev made about the issue being their problem. Just that post along totally rules out what was stated on here about all this being the players problems.

Which was my point the whole time, now that someone proved my point, and that I am on the right.
    I'm, for the rest of you that keep going on that it is on the players side the problem, or that want to make up now that you never stated it was probably on the players side - you can kindly go f**k yourselves. My point was proven, I'm on the right, the rest you need to know when to quit.

Yuu aren't a fanboy but you just had to bring out that it was probably on the players end the problem like a true fandog you are - now that you know that it is on your precious company's side, you may stop your ignorance. Congratulations, out conversation is over and you still a fanboy.
  • Options
    crappyturbocrappyturbo Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    zeatrex did Cryptic say that they had some problems? Yes

Does that mean that ALL the problems are because of Cryptic? No

Several friends and I have the same game. One of them constantly crashes to desk top and the only difference is that he has MS Flight Sim X and none of the rest of us has that program so there is a conflict some where between those two and the conflict is just because of the presence of the two programs on the hard drive for some reason.

A side note that friend just found out that using TR-116's in the Defera mission Out in the Cold as a klingon character gets dropped on a regular basis. He switched out the weapons and the drop connects seem to be happening at a slower rate. 6 drops in 20 minutes 2 after switching out the weapons.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Several friends and I have the same game. One of them constantly crashes to desk top and the only difference is that he has MS Flight Sim X and none of the rest of us has that program so there is a conflict some where between those two and the conflict is just because of the presence of the two programs on the hard drive for some reason.

A side note that friend just found out that using TR-116's in the Defera mission Out in the Cold as a klingon character gets dropped on a regular basis. He switched out the weapons and the drop connects seem to be happening at a slower rate. 6 drops in 20 minutes 2 after switching out the weapons.

What part of this:
    zeatrex wrote: »
    I am pissed at:
    THE PEOPLE STATING THAT THE LAG AND ISSUES THE GAME IS HAVING IS ON THE PLAYERS END.
    You do not understand?
    I'm not angry at the company.
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    New provoking theory: The people that are claiming to have no problems at all are playing this game too casually to even notice the problems even if they're surrunded by them.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2015
    when my fleet does missions we see this lag in all 5 players...Its like a slide show type of lag frame by frame

our fleet team is from all over the country 2 of with are 15 miles from cryptic HQ is SF

Were in communication with each other all all 5 members experence this lag mainly space content like infected or Kit or cure Advanced space

When we do ground we see a lot less lag and it is not as severe like BHE

Also none of us experenced this type of constintsnt lag until that first tuesday patch 5 or 6 weeks ago...Thats when it started to be noticed by us
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Blah, blah - now trying to not look like the fanboy.
    Get over it.
    No one in this thread said the problems were all on the players end. If your emotional and mental facilities weren't compromised from the stress you are suffering because you can't cope with people disagreeing with your opinions in polite discussion on a forum you'd know that.

The issues with the game aren't black and white, either or between Cryptic's end and the players end. There are contributing factors in-between causing problems.
    My whole reason for coming in this thread is because someone did mention it. Now if you didn't read every post, post for post, I will not get it for you. After I stated that it was not on the players end, more came out stating it could be with supposedly "technical facts" on why it could be. Which is pretty much BS because Cryptic already stated they are the problem.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I can read just fine and I gave you an example of a problem on a players end that the developers of either program could not have forseen which MIGHT be a very small part of the problems here.

I for one have had 2 drop connects in the last 6 months and lots of rubberbanding but I also accept that some part of the problem might be unforseen interactions between programs on the players side.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Still didn't answer the question.

Since Cryptic has posted that there are a couple of issues causing lag for some in the game, that means that there are never, ever any possible reasons why there could be lag otherwise? None at all?

Please, regale us with your technical superiority.
    There was a time when the game didn't lag at all, then the patch.
    A game that didn't lag at all, all of a sudden from one day to the other - Star Trek: Lag Online.

And you are still here, arguing. It's freaking amazing.
    Would you please give it a rest, you know why I rained down on you so don't try to have a conversation with me about something that has nothing to do with the situation that you were already proven wrong.

Now you are passing the level of being an annoying fanboy to a troll.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well, Ferrari, I can assure you that I, at the very least, have not experienced any of the issues you have.

I'm starting to think maybe this old desktop of mine is magical or something - folks carry on as if the server itself is constantly crashing, the login server never works, and the old tray bugs have gone totally uncorrected. Meanwhile, I'm cruising along here, nary a glitch in sight, managing to play the game without issue as though the server weren't crashed at all. Am I tapping into some parallel-universe version of STO?

took the words right out of my mouth, saved me the bother of posting. LOL :)

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I am NOT defending Cryptic but trying to express a point of view that is not ALL problems are because of Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Your country, your state, your cty, where ever the hell you are makes you lucky.
    Don't try to be smart, it shows you as the total opposite.
    But you didn't prove anything wrong as I don't deny there are issues on Cryptic's end causing problems for people. That's not the point.

You're entire argument boils down to "Cryptic said there are issues on their end, so that means that every single player is impacted as much as I am and there are never ever any other possible explanations for lag".

That's not "technical expertise", it's a poorly made supposition and when people called you on it, you got defensive and resorted name-calling.
    Read the post where you were defending them, the 1st post you made in reply to me on this thread, even going as far as going all technical in later replies on why it's our problem in a way - I'm not getting the post for you. Then keep telling yourself you weren't defending them. You can now contradict your stating because someone linked that Cryptic is the problem and totally blow you out of the area.

The fact of the matter is, it is not our problem, it never was.
    Cross, strikeout, period, final.

This is the last reply you are getting from me, I'm done with your trolling.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Putting my QA hat on, I have a wacky thought.

We've been thinking about lag as related to carrier pets, traits, powerful weapons, and now the TR-116. (This may also tie in with DOff/rep.)

What if it's not any of those things DIRECTLY?

What if the lag is caused by the server verification of rewards/drops?

Every time something dies, the server has to verify and decide whether to drop loot and it runs a second roll to decide whether to drop a lockbox. There was a lag issue when everything (including targetable torpedos, I think) had a chance to drop lockboxes.

It just hit me that the lag could be caused by the server running kill verifications and deciding whether or not to award loot/lockboxes on kills.

All of the big lag culprits seem to involve faster kills. Even some things like carrier pets which never issue rewards may involve faster kills and more items killed.

Most of the lag I have seen has been tied to things like the consoles at the artillary stations in the Deferra ground zone which seem to take longer than usual to register that I've selected one of them. But in a sense, "press F" interacts represent a form of kill as well. Things like the Starship traits may also have some sort of backend kill counter even if the chance to drop loot is set to 0%.

I think maybe kill credit verification could be a factor in what's causing the lag. Maybe also computationally expensive targeting dicerolls.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    No one in this thread said the problems were all on the players end.

Actually, yes...one did or at least implied it in this thread. I quoted in my last post. And they're far from alone since this issue started. And honestly, you've skirted this line along with many others more than once since then with the "not affecting me, so..." line of reasoning.
    Still didn't answer the question.

Since Cryptic has posted that there are a couple of issues causing lag for some in the game, that means that there are never, ever any possible reasons why there could be lag otherwise? None at all?

Please, regale us with your technical superiority.

Regardless of his tech superiority, you're trying to goad him into attempting to prove a negative when the evidence that this is yet another one of Cryptic's half-azzed deals (now backed by an admission from a head honcho) is heavily on his side. The possibility indeed does exist that it could be something on his end...but the probability is leaning towards Cryptic.

And, even if this is a solely (which I doubt due to suspicions that proved true from Salami's post) a Cogentco thing, then it's about perception which is still going to fall on Cryptic whether people think it's "fair" or not. People got tired of SWTOR's use of Bitraider as an updater and its ungodly nigh-permanent hang and walked, including myself. Directly it was Bitraider's fault, but it was just another straw on the Camel as far as the players were concerned.
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bros please try to... moderate yourself, this is getting out of hand. One hour on War Thunder and when I come back I see 5 pages of arguing.

Keep it... civil. We're all annoyed by the lag, I am as I can't even start up the whole thing, but the fact that I'm not the only one who can't get in game, at least, makes me think I'm not a lone wolf.

Really, come play War Thunder with me for a while, it's fun lol.

Yesterday trendy visited me in spirit of cooperation, I'd rather not see him today in spirit of closing down :P
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    took the words right out of my mouth, saved me the bother of posting. LOL :)

Then you might want to read these words from the Cryptic Studios team. Honestly, I'm thinking about making a new post so people can actually see it before going into these discussions:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=23621141#post23621141

There are three large issues that are impacting performance right now, and they're all under investigation.

We're having some odd network issues, not including DDOS attacks, and you may have seen trendy collecting traces along with other information from players. This data is being passed off to our network engineers who are working to solve this issue.

A bug that caused major FPS issues went live with Season 10 and wasn't discovered until Friday. We have a fix that's already on tribble and will go live this week.

We did some profiling on our heavier maps and discovered that some player powers are incredibly expensive on our gameservers. It will take some time to identify them all and rebuild them in a way where they are functionally identical to you, but far less expensive for the gameservers. This is a change that will take time but will trickle out as we identify the offending powers and make fixes.

This is a pretty big deal to us and we have a fair amount of people across a wide array of disciplines working to get this resolved. I apologize for the inconvenience and my delay in posting something about it. Nothing nefarious about the delay, it's simply a busy time over here post release.

The poster you quoted has stated previously that they weren't doing STF's where Salami's third paragraph would be felt the most by those players, including myself.
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dgdolph wrote: »
    New provoking theory: The people that are claiming to have no problems at all are playing this game too casually to even notice the problems even if they're surrunded by them.

This is it exactly. Casuals would never notice lag because they are never in instances that have 5-20 ships bristling with buffs and traits to keep track of. And that's fine that they experience no lag so their preferred play style is unhindered. But to turn around a claim it's not a Cryptic issue, that it's the user's fault, is a faulty assumption based on an incomplete experience of the game.

If someone can produce a video of a lag-free run with at least 1 Command ship in their party and a host of other top-end powers, I'd say they have something to their claim that "the problem is on the user end". Until then, the evidence conclusively points to Cryptic.

Anyway, I apologize to the OP for derailing your original question (though usually that's how it goes in General Discussion). My point was mostly that it's likely Cryptic's fault for the inability to log on. I had that briefly a couple weeks ago and it was fixed within a couple days (S10 release). If it's an ongoing problem, your best bet is to make a thread in the Bug Reports section.
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Now that is very true but it doesn't necessarily apply to casual players. Avoiding content one doesn't like doesn't make one a casual player.

Okay, instead of the word 'casual' replace with the phrase 'non-queued event crowd'. Is that acceptable?
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    fatman592 wrote: »
    This is it exactly. Casuals would never notice lag because they are never in instances that have 5-20 ships bristling with buffs and traits to keep track of. And that's fine that they experience no lag so their preferred play style is unhindered. But to turn around a claim it's not a Cryptic issue, that it's the user's fault, is a faulty assumption based on an incomplete experience of the game.

If someone can produce a video of a lag-free run with at least 1 Command ship in their party and a host of other top-end powers, I'd say they have something to their claim that "the problem is on the user end". Until then, the evidence conclusively points to Cryptic.

Anyway, I apologize to the OP for derailing your original question (though usually that's how it goes in General Discussion). My point was mostly that it's likely Cryptic's fault for the inability to log on. I had that briefly a couple weeks ago and it was fixed within a couple days (S10 release). If it's an ongoing problem, your best bet is to make a thread in the Bug Reports section.

No worries, you're right on that. There's nothing bad in speaking of topics that are connected but not proper of the thread. It just has to be done civilly.
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.