Install Arc
Options

Delta Recruitment

Comments

• Options
    longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited March 2015
    davideight wrote: »
    i mean, by now everyone must have realised that right?!

I applaud you and actually wonder that people assume even worse and more sinister reasons than that.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why are people complaining about this? For the longest time people were saying this game is alt unfriendly...thy do something to make it alt friendly and people complain that Cryptic hates our main toons?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Why are people complaining about this? For the longest time people were saying this game is alt unfriendly...thy do something to make it alt friendly and people complain that Cryptic hates our main toons?

Until we get the next few blogs nobody knows if this will or won't be an alt friendly thing. Personally I already have lots of neglected alts but will still be taking this time to make a new one just to see what the revised storylines are like. And, for all we know this is the first stage of Cryptic trying to set themselves off on an alt friendly course.

I also would not expect this event to be a one off and will almost certainly be repeated every few months as a recruitment promotion event.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015

How does this make the game alt friendly? The always just over the horizon Spec points are still bound to character. The R+D grind still takes months to over a year, bound to character.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    I really don't see how that's what is happening here. Your new toon created during this event gets a Delta mark next to their name and some additional stuff to do during the story arcs, but it's not like giving them the Super Soldier Formula and turning them into Captain Federation.

And something I noticed:

"and completing these goals will see them rewarded with equipment, Marks, and other rewards beneficial not just to the Delta Recruit, but to all characters on the same account."

I see bind-to-account stuff, and having one Delta in your roster will allow all of your other toons to get Dil drops for ship kills during the special event.

And AFAIK, I'll probably just use the free toon space as another farming mule between events. Remember people, this isn't WOW where you HAVE to have the latest shiny things in order to be allowed to play. It seems the closest comparison to WOW is this line:

"Finally, during the first six weeks of the seven-week Delta Recruit event, there will be server wide goals that only Delta Recruits can contribute to, but by accomplishing these goals, they unlock bonuses for the entire server for the whole of the next week of the event! "

Anyone remember the server-wide donation efforts to open up the gates of AQ, anyone?
    nowhere does it say that you will get an account-wide dil for kills bonus. it suggest that the team will get the bonus.
    furthermore, the 'equipment, marks, and other rewards' arent said to be account-bound or whatnot. it simply says the 'other rewards' will be 'beneficial' to your other toons. what does that mean?

some suspect it means that the delta toon will in some way advance your other toons by trickling down xp or holding some 'mastery traits' that benefit alts or whatnot. so in a sense you are strongly incentivised to make the new toon your new main toon. an augmented t6 uber toon to rule them all and make all toons that came before them obsolete. that is the fear, and given cryptics behaviour it isnt a terribly unfounded fear at that.
  • Options
    sanokskyratsanokskyrat Member Posts: 479 Media Corps
    edited March 2015
    Wow so many people DIDN'T read the post. Just the headlines and first few words it seems.
    1368747308047.cached_zpsl4joalbs.jpg
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    How does this make the game alt friendly? The always just over the horizon Spec points are still bound to character. The R+D grind still takes months to over a year, bound to character.

R&D grind . . . The grind that really requires little effort to get to level 15?
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    nyx219nyx219 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited March 2015

I'm not really sure how it makes it alt unfriendly. With that train of thought, the KDF & Rom sides are alt unfriendly (hey, we cant use our Fed toons in those, can we?) I'm considering Delta Recruits more along the lines of a new faction with a specific arc than anything, like the others. Ergo, it's fine by me. Will the account-wide perks be the be all, end all of player effectiveness? Probably not, much like the Deprogrammed trait my Roms have doesn't make it a vast wasteland of unfair perks between the factions just because only Roms have it. Does it really make a difference to have that trait to begin with? I dunno, but I have it on them and my other alts do just fine without it.

And to be bluntly honest from a casual playing perspective AND a BTDT gotta-get-'em-leveled perspective, I'm not seeing much of a difference between my alts leveling now versus before. I don't sit & grind away on them day in & day out, they're taking just as long to level now as they did before. Some days I feel like playing a specific toon only, some I hop around between a few. I do a few PUGs, I carry on to the next mission in the list, I DOFF, etc. I don't try to grind them up to 60 a week, that's absurd. 3 of my 8 are 60s, the rest are around 55 at the lowest, and up. My pace has never changed despite the claim of the game being alt unfriendly now.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    R&D grind . . . The grind that really requires little effort to get to level 15?

Just 3 months, I suppose that's not much.

Partially filled spec trees are just as good as filled ones right? It's not like there's something special at the end and you can use all the points you've spent on all the trees you've half filled..
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Just 3 months, I suppose that's not much.

Partially filled spec trees are just as good as filled ones right? It's not like there's something special at the end and you can use all the points you've spent on all the trees you've half filled..

A month for level 15, three months for level 20 -- and that is without crafting anything!
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    A month for level 15, three months for level 20 -- and that is without crafting anything!

For one school doing 3 slots on the 20 hour project.
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We want you for US ehm UFP army... Yay, this is not a future what i wanted (Archer cry). My toon is not a dumb poor man from USA 19.century. Where are some exploration instead of endless massacre of native species (NPCs)? This is Star Trek, not Starship troopers. The worst Trendy's blog. Ok, show me that dryads (iconians) so finally i can BFAW them out of my monitor. What next? Uninstall STO.
  • Options
    jimazoid2004jimazoid2004 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I just wonder why it has to be NEW players to get these new stuff for Delta Recruits?! I am not creating a new alt just to gain stuff that i can't use on my MAIN ALT THAT I'VE BEEN USING FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS! I hope this is something that you plan to change to make long time veterans like me, who is a lifetimer, feel a part of this new part of the game.

At least have an option to add the Delta Recruits as a reputation project or something. If not, then I'll for the first time be sitting out on a new part of the game as, like i've stated, have no intention of creating a new alt JUST for this.
  • Options
    rjay1985rjay1985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    tmassx wrote: »
    We want you for US ehm UFP army... Yay, this is not a future what i wanted (Archer cry). My toon is not a dumb poor man from USA 19.century. Where are some exploration instead of endless massacre of native species (NPCs)? This is Star Trek, not Starship troopers. The worst Trendy's blog. Ok, show me that dryads (iconians) so finally i can BFAW them out of my monitor. What next? Uninstall STO.

Because this is a game...no one has an interest in diplomacy missions..they are boring. And stop with the Star Trek is not a war series TRIBBLE already! We all know the most popular Trek episodes and movies are the ones with battles and conflict heavy stories...Klingons, Romulans, Dominion, Borg, etc...
  • Options
    warpedcorewarpedcore Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I just wonder why it has to be NEW players to get these new stuff for Delta Recruits?! I am not creating a new alt just to gain stuff that i can't use on my MAIN ALT THAT I'VE BEEN USING FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS! I hope this is something that you plan to change to make long time veterans like me, who is a lifetimer, feel a part of this new part of the game.

At least have an option to add the Delta Recruits as a reputation project or something. If not, then I'll for the first time be sitting out on a new part of the game as, like i've stated, have no intention of creating a new alt JUST for this.

The article didn't say new players. It said new CHARACTERS. Everyone will be getting a new character slot to make use of this new event. Forget the prizes. Forget the rewards. Roll a new character to experience the new CONTENT. We don't get new missions very often. The fact that they are doing some sort of Temporal Cold War side plots as you go through the missions could be pretty fun.

Also, when you play through the missions, do it as a Crewman, with enlisted uniforms. They want new recruit for the war effort, not a newly minted Admiral Mary Sue. ��
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rjay1985 wrote: »
    Because this is a game...no one has an interest in diplomacy missions..they are boring. And stop with the Star Trek is not a war series TRIBBLE already! We all know the most popular Trek episodes and movies are the ones with battles and conflict heavy stories...Klingons, Romulans, Dominion, Borg, etc...

Yes, but not all good games and movies are all actional. I know, it is harder to write good dialogue instead of good battle. Who you are, if you say: "no one has an interest, We all know..." Did you saw the last STO pool about what the players wants more in STO, where the exploration won and story content was second? Btw personally i like ST episodes the Defector, Unification, In pale moonlight, Inter arma silent leges and 1st and Generations movies.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    warpedcore wrote: »
    Roll a new character to experience the new CONTENT. We don't get new missions very often. The fact that they are doing some sort of Temporal Cold War side plots as you go through the missions could be pretty fun.

You know, knowing how Cryptic like to sensationalise the smallest of things, I can't help but think that this alternate story is going to be the exact same missions but five minutes from the end of the mission some idiot is going to pop up on my screen and tell me to run over there and scan a plant because it may save the future. Then once I've scanned it I'll go back and do what I've done 15 times before with my other alts...

Unless they tell me that one of the perks of a DR alt is that maxing out his spec trees will instantly unlock them on my other 15 characters, I'm really not that excited.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You know, knowing how Cryptic like to sensationalise the smallest of things, I can't help but think that this alternate story is going to be the exact same missions but five minutes from the end of the mission some idiot is going to pop up on my screen and tell me to run over there and scan a plant because it may save the future. Then once I've scanned it I'll go back and do what I've done 15 times before with my other alts...

Unless they tell me that one of the perks of a DR alt is that maxing out his spec trees will instantly unlock them on my other 15 characters, I'm really not that excited.

ShouLdnt the feds and kdf get the Tovan Khev experience as well. Nothing like an NPC butting into every move you make. Oh god Roms will have Tovan AND the temporal agent harrassing them as they level
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    ShouLdnt the feds and kdf get the Tovan Khev experience as well. Nothing like an NPC butting into every move you make. Oh god Roms will have Tovan AND the temporal agent harrassing them as they level

Spoliers, Tovan Khev is the temporal agent.
  • Options
    grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015

That would just be cruel
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Nothing so far leads me to think that anything here has made the game more alt friendly.

Levelling isn't the reason that the game isn't alt friendly (well, 50-60 maybe). It's everything else after that.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Hypothesis here...new players get new stuff to help them feel like they have something to their name when they sit next to your 5-year old main (or my ~3.5 year old main). It seems like things like better dil gain and maybe xp gain are things like offering low financing rates on a car, a limited time deal to lower the threshold to ownership.

Or, if most of the new toons are made by existing accounts, more dil/xp/etc, whether just during the even or continuing after is a way to get more toons who have the dil/ec means and a sufficient level to compete in the queues.

Lastly, and let's be fair, if they made the delta recruit thing something even resembling a project, people would just complain that it was another grind.
  • Options
    borgified007borgified007 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Guys it's pretty obvious what this is. One part is creating more money sinks....new char new gear to get etc.

The big thing though is the metrics. Cryptic needs to show that people are running the content, all of it. Old or not, not just the new stuff. They are shoehorning ppl into running eps for metrics, pure and simple.
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    coupaholic wrote: »

That video is disturbing but so friggin entertaining at the same time.

I couldn't stop watching :eek:

Just tryin to keep track of everything he was eating.... :P

It IS very relevant!

Unfortunately, What's been seen, can't be unseen, It's going to haunt me every time I read these forums.

I Thank you for sharing. I think - :eek:
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Angels and ministers of grace defend us! Don't even jest !
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So what we have here is Delta Grinding II: Grind Harder. The summer event will be Delta Grinding III: Grindhard With A Vengeance. After that it'll be Play For Free Or Grind Hard, and it is always a Good Day To Grind Hard in the minds of the Devs.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Without insider insight onto why they did it this way, we can't say for sure one way or another if this is primarily intended to be a draw for new players, a push to pad metrics, or an incentive for preexisting players to replay content.

It'll certainly manage all three of those things if it performs well, but we can't be claiming the intent is "obviously" any one of those.
  • Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    davideight wrote: »
    its just easy to understand:

pwe needs you to create new chars.

cause new chars need more things than old chars.

and they try gating people into this with baits and least amount of work you could be drawn into this. so: same everything, give people acc wide items only obtainable in a limited window - get everyone to create at least one new char. (this char will need gear, will need dili for upgrades and will need a new ship maybe ...)

so step one: draw people into creating new chars, step 2: . , step 3: profit.

i mean, by now everyone must have realised that right?!

Joke's on Cryptic then! I'll just make a new mule/Contra Farmer out of the free character slot. :)

And anybody can add a ∆ to their name. Just copy/paste when you roll it, and no one's the wiser. ;)

So, roll a Delta toon for toon's sake, then switch to your main, and grind Fleet Defense STF to make the Dil rain.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    Joke's on Cryptic then! I'll just make a new mule/Contra Farmer out of the free character slot. :)

And anybody can add a ∆ to their name. Just copy/paste when you roll it, and no one's the wiser. ;)

So, roll a Delta toon for toon's sake, then switch to your main, and grind Fleet Defense STF to make the Dil rain.

How about you wait until the Delta Recruitment even blogs come out before deciding that the only use for them will be a "mule" as you put it.

I will be optimistic on what cryptic has planned.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png