What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Delta Recruitment

Comments

• Options
    captainmikeccaptainmikec Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So new characters created during this event will have perks that make my characters of years obsolete.....
    It's not right and very poor planning on part of the person that came up with this.

I'm not grinding a new character out, and making my old one obsolete doesn't exactly encourage me to play.

I encourage a concept rethink, make existing characters able to join this event.
    Old players deserve the same consideration as new ones.

I'm all for new fun events, but existing players/characters should be considered.
    "Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
    -General Chang
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So new characters created during this event will have perks that make my characters of years obsolete.....
    It's not right and very poor planning on part of the person that came up with this.

I'm not grinding a new character out, and making my old one obsolete doesn't exactly encourage me to play.

I encourage a concept rethink, make existing characters able to join this event.
    Old players deserve the same consideration as new ones.

I'm all for new fun events, but existing players/characters should be considered.
    Where in the blog does it say that older characters will be obsolete? Show the rest of us exactly where it says that. If you can't show us, then your fear is baseless.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015
    Here is what has me twitching

Pandora's box is now open what Evil will come out of it

PvP-Example

A new device that reduces damage from surgical strikes by 75% bound to the new delta character

PvE-Example

A new device that reduces the Borg Tachyon beam attack by 75% bound to character

Instead of just dismissing our old character like SWG/sony did cryptic could make our old characters so obsolete with devices /consoles/traits like this combined with game mechanics to basically attempt to make all of us veterans make new characters

This would also get rid of our lock box ships and all character bound things we have gathered over the years

Pandors box is open lets see what comes out of it

Brace for impact !
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    crimsonlenacrimsonlena Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Cryptic really should throw a bone to Veteran players because who are they kidding? This is to give new players a quick, and "special snowflake" entry to the game.

Just give Vets the ability to flag their Main Capped Officer as a Delta, or at least retroactively make Deltas of every existing Character below Admiral 1.
  • Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Would I have to have a Delta recruit in the same faction as my main in order to get the perks, or can I have one Delta that's KFD for example and even my Fed & Rom toons get perk'd?
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Where in the blog does it say that older characters will be obsolete? Show the rest of us exactly where it says that. If you can't show us, then your fear is baseless.

Chill, you know what this place is like friend. Mountains out of molehills. And I still don't get why enticing new players into the game would be a bad thing.

The information we have is scarce but from what I could see the 'perks' are as follows:

- A parallel story that benefits ALL characters on an account, which looks to me like extra goals in missions we have already rather than unique content. In other words you need to press F a few more times. Whoopie.

- That inherent bonus trait that earns Dil for every kill, which extends to the entire group. That tells me a vet who's just queued with a Delta Recruit can enjoy the same bonus. And of course if it's actually any good it'll get nerfed into a pointless trickle.

- Completing the faction arcs earns you the bonus ship trait, damage immunity when you trigger a heal. Probably handy in PvP but pointless in PvE, and in fact I'd say any newbie would need such a trait to even survive long enough for a decent match.

- Everything else, extra EXP, marks and gear rewards. Pretty much pointless for the vet who already has tons of everything.

This recruit thing is precisely that, helpful perks for newbies. Opinions could change as more information is available, but as always it's better to wait for fears to be confirmed before turning on the waterworks.
  • Options
    cody0893cody0893 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Delta recruitment is the worse thing about delta........... here lately i fin my main toonb and was rapping up my third to a respecfull rank and abil level. With this new saystem all other toons are a waste and thats lame just for you devs to sale more lock box's this is fracking nuts worsae worse worse ideal its is just as bad as my grammer

PLEASE RETHINK THIS IDEAL CRYPTIC
    They killed your Alt's now they want your main
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Content Soleing Based On One Toon Is Nuts Then They ARE Going To THAT Way WITH Ships As Well So All Other Toons Will Be Obsolete They Have Killed Your Alt Now They Are Going For Your Main
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    valenn1 wrote: »
    I actually like the idea it's a decent promotion, and sorry, i cannot see how old chars are "punished".
    a) it seems they benefit from the unlocks archieved by delta recruits
    b) free charslot !!!
    c) account wide unlock of stuff (at least a [usefull] starship trait)
    d) the bonus for delta recruits will go away after the event

I agree on that IF that’s the case and what’s going to happen. When reading the blog one may find those points in it and take comfort in it. However past experience with Cryptic has shown a lot of disappointment with vague text and weird descriptions so trust is as low here as it could be.

The question most peeps would like to have answered is: “Will our current toons be in any way limited compared to Delta Recruits once we achieved the account wide unlock of the Delta Recruit’s rewards?”

I wonder if anybody at Cryptic & PwE has the honesty to answer that question in more detail or if they even care.

Generating a mysterious marketing hype with such blogs is a joke. Leave that to Apple! At least they are the ones with the quality products.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    only the new toons can carrie certian gear and get certian reward yes there is some shared but over all its the shaft with currentmain toon worse system ever........watch next only certian toons can buy certian ships and no i am not talk about factiion either further limiting players i.e makeing the game over complicated dribble
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Cryptic...is about like those refs. They hear the home crowd, they know they likely made a bad call, and yet, a few weeks or a couple months, they'll make another one. They are oblivious to the reaction they receive, much like the refs.

In reality, they don't care in the least. To them it's not a bad call. It's a business plan.

Given the momentously bad calls they have made, especially in the past year, I totally wouldn't put it past them to play an April Fool's joke of this magnitutde. It's just what they do! :rolleyes:

I too see this as a "business plan"... , one that came out of either :
    " how can we get more players ?"
    or
    "how can we get more replays ?"
    or
    "how can we make a lot of new content without actually making a lot of new content ?"

... and then someone dropped this idea ...
  • Options
    eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If PW just wanted to help new player, they simply should do some step back:

1) restore hourly events: it was fine when we had several events (included the mirror universe) changing hourly

2) reduce grinding, if you want people developing more toons.

and if PW want more happiness

3) allow mixed (fed and kdf) teams

4) give the option to repack lockbox and special ships (good also if it's just an account bound pack)... I think players would pay this like once we paid for respect tokens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    I too see this as a "business plan"... , one that came out of either :
    " how can we get more players ?"
    or
    "how can we get more replays ?"
    or
    "how can we make a lot of new content without actually making a lot of new content ?"

... and then someone dropped this idea ...

And it's not a bad one, if it's done right. Make it easier to level a new character? Much needed given the level of endgame grind at present.

Whether this is a genuinely good opportunity for new characters / players or not will depend on the rewards offered. If (as the blog could be read) the rewards are all in terms of making it easier to prep a new character - more XP, more Dil to help with gearing costs - plus an account wide trait unlock, that's actually really good and not locking out old alts at all.

Personally? Whether I bother with this event will depend on what those rewards are. If the trait is another one to leave mothballed, I probably won't bother.
  • Options
    tlaloconeinfptlaloconeinfp Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    farmallm wrote: »
    I rather wait to get more info on this event then bash it or say its good. I hope we get a new species to use?

Yes. Maybe a Krenim Temporal Empire character! If ya say: At the release of DR we were told by the devs that the Krenim Empire has been smashed by a 'new' enemy(now we know the Vaadwaur is that new enemy).

But Do NOT forget they had/have or can construct/recontruct a time-weapon vessel-seen in VOY: Year of Hell(episodes1 &2)

But this time they are good guys too, they in the end of 25 th century allied with section 31+ kdf intel+ romulan intelligence had come to a bad conclusion: they gonna loose war against TEH AICONIANS! So they send back agent to the past( to STO time 2410) to chane teh future and to 'train' deltra recruitment here, to have a better chance to win agianst TEH AICONINAS!
    :D
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The question most peeps would like to have answered is: “Will our current toons be in any way limited compared to Delta Recruits once we achieved the account wide unlock of the Delta Recruit’s rewards?”
    The blog says they won't have a Delta Symbol (∆) after their name. That's enough for me, to make old toons feel...lesser.

Unless it's removed after the event I suppose. Another complication to the "should I switch mains" -question. What if I switch mains to get that triangle and then it disappears after the event?

Is there going to be a "Delta Recruit" title? Accolades for the "parallel story?" Replays of the parallel story? Anything at all to distinguish it from a toon created before or after? Its not all about rewards.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    The blog says they won't have a Delta Symbol (∆) after their name. That's enough for me, to make old toons feel...lesser.

Unless it's removed after the event I suppose. Another complication to the "should I switch mains" -question. What if I switch mains to get that triangle and then it disappears after the event?

Is there going to be a "Delta Recruit" title? Accolades for the "parallel story?" Replays of the parallel story? Anything at all to distinguish it from a toon created before or after? Its not all about rewards.

Ok I haven’t considered that and I understand. I only had interest in a hand full of titles in this game so I could live with it if some of my toons have to leave some out but also see that not everybody shares that attitude.

What I simply could not live with would be if the Delta Recruits would turn out to be some Tier 6 augments or anything having constant benefits in active game play over those chars I put my gaming lives work in the past 3 years.

They already came to that line pretty close with the Romulan faction. At least we got something for that in return back then with a cool expansion.

This thingy here just feel like some rushed new introduction without much game contend support to expect.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    To me, this entire event seems like desperation to get new players since all the veteran players seem to be leaving and not coming back after getting everything that they worked for nerfed to hell and back.

I know that I won't bother since it shows the players that Cryptic can care less about the players that has been around and care more about money.

I'll just let my account sit and rot until STO goes under. At least until there are major changes for the better on the way, and not more junk that is not needed.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Call me when there's actual science ships at the T6 level for Romulan and KDF as well as Fleet varients of all T6 ships. Then I might be bothered to level another toon because I'd have something to actually work towards. (Command cruisers don't count) Till then I'll be playing WoW with the money I'd use to buy zen ships. :D
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Who said anything about abandoning old characters? I certainly won't be. Call it a hiatus. Or putting characters I'm not playing anyway on hold for a little while...

...I will admit that limiting the 'Delta Recruitment' to a specific timeframe, especially if this is intended to be a one-time event, leaves me scratching my head...

...They're putting a little of the RPG back into the MMO. I see that as a good thing, unless the execution of it leaves me wanting.

The gist of this hits the nail on the head for me...without some RP elements of an RPG, it becomes a second job. Given that most of my alts were not top-of-the-line, even before DR, meant that most were not getting played, but the biggest turn-off has been a dearth of unique content rather than any other grind (self-imposed or otherwise ;)).

Also, seconded strongly on the implementation, although if I end up not playing the new character much after the event...no great change from how it was before.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Except for the shotgun, I don't use any of the event special gear/doffs. The episode rerun items I do use, and it seems they replaced that with this Delta event. As for the accolades, well, it doesn't affect gameplay and frankly, I only do them in a single toon because they are a a pain to obtain.

Addendum to prior post...the part about accolades seems relevant, given that since it's the same person (i.e. me) behind all toons on an account, I don't feel the need to unlock all of them X times over again...hence the quip about self-imposed grind.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    tobiashirt wrote: »
    Addendum to prior post...the part about accolades seems relevant, given that since it's the same person (i.e. me) behind all toons on an account, I don't feel the need to unlock all of them X times over again...hence the quip about self-imposed grind.

Accolades being account-wide would go a long way toward resolving the dilemma of old vs new toons.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Accolades being account-wide would go a long way toward resolving the dilemma of old vs new toons.

True, true...I guess for me, they are in my head. Are accolades viewable in a place other than a mission journal tab? I know I can display titles, and I presume those are tied to accolades I earned at some point in the past, in which case I case see a desire to advertise to the general onlooker that you've participated in an event/reached a milestone of some sort. (Everything I say is grain-of-salt territory... still in the boat of "the wise man knows that he knows nothing" even after 3 years)
  • Options
    vardariotaivardariotai Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ryuuenjin wrote: »
    In what universe is levelling so slow in STO? it takes me all of 4 days to get a character from 1-60 with enough time set aside for eating, sleeping, and other daily necessities.

I can do that with the old mirror events. I don't play games to min max or exploit the pvp. Pvp is even irrelevant with the storyline now which is stupid to begin with. Hell, with the old mirror event, I can get to 50 in shorter time than 4 days (yes, I'm referring to the time when max lvl is 50) Oh I hear lots of people whine they can only get 4 levels per run. It's not cryptic fault that you don't know how to play the old mirror invasion properly. Episode quests doesn't give as much exps. anymore. If they want to make episodes so boring which is what they have done, at least they should've make it less sufferable by still making it a 1 episode per 1 level. Or are you telling me you didn't know episode quests used to do that?
    What in particular is messed up about traits now than they were before? Back then you got to have 4 traits, all hardlocked to your character. You pick them and you're stuck with them. If you wanted you could be captain badass on either ground or space, but never both. With traits now interchangeable and having a wider number of traits you can slot you get even more possibilities opened up for yourself.

You answer my own question. Why would you want to make new characters when you can only swap traits at will? Simple answer, you don't. You don't know how to make a good character & that's your fault. I nver have this problem because I know how to set my char. from the get go. If I want a spacer, I would've give that char. all spacer traits, if I want a generic shooter char. I would've give that char all generic shooter traits. It's your fault for giving your char. bad traits. With the new traits system, you don't need to make new characters, you just switch traits. Your char. is a blank slate & that in itself destroys any reasons to make chars. The way you put it, you don't care about your characters anyway which if you want me to get technical, then why are you playing an rpg? Even if it's an mmo, you still got to play as if they matter to you. I prefer the old 4 traits, I get to explore with possibilities, I get to make expert chars & that's more fun than switching traits around just because you're board. If you want to make a free style char, you would've made an alien because now they force lock traits according to their species. Since you can add more traits into your char. than the default 4 now, all of your existing chars are the powerhouses of your account. Then, you wouldn't want to make any other chars so much because you have your best char who can melt anything.

The repurposing of the kits allows for better diversity on what you can bring on away missions. As for "making them specialists" you can do that via the skill points you allocate to your captain. Even if you were to spend all 100,000 points that you can allocate to the ground, you still can't max out every single ground skill there is. That right there is where your "specialists" line of thought comes in.

Again, you are answering my own question. You don't have any will or motives to make new characters anymore because you can pull skills out of kits & reshuffle them at will. You are not being a specialist, you're being a jack of all trade. At least back then all kits have fixed skills & you have to swap kits for skills you want to use. You have some reasons why you want to make an entirely different chars build around using that specific kit. And no, they revamped the skill points, it's tier locked now. I know this because why are they forcing me to fill up skill points on a skill set I don't even want to use so I can unlock the 1 I want to use, you used to be able to work around this & I did. After they change their skill point system, 3 of my chars have all of their skills reset & I have to put skill points on all of them over again.

Except the Omega and Maco sets came into the game long after the STFs were stripped of every bit of story. Your "attachment" to your sets comes from a misplaced sentimentality by assosciating them with something they weren't a part of in the first place.

You are missing the point, reputation means you don't need to play STFs or even care about them as much anymore. With reputation system, you only need to play them a couple of times & being rich enough. I have my sentiment because I actually work for it, and no, I remember the story for the borg STFs. The latter sets for Delta, Undine or Dyson is just there for the sake of being there. MACO & Omega at least comes with remods or shield buffs that you need to fight the borg anyway. I can still use my STF sets against the Voth, the Undine & everything the Delta quadrant, I don't have any reasons to use any of these sets because the game doesn't give me any reasons to care for them. At least for the MACO & Omega, the situation demands it's use. If you don't get this, why are you playing an rpg? If the new sets are useful, you would've want to make chars. all about using them, but they aren't, you'll end up running around with MACO most of the time & you'll just going to wear Dyson or Delta or Undine just to show off that you have them.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    tobiashirt wrote: »
    True, true...I guess for me, they are in my head. Are accolades viewable in a place other than a mission journal tab? I know I can display titles, and I presume those are tied to accolades I earned at some point in the past, in which case I case see a desire to advertise to the general onlooker that you've participated in an event/reached a milestone of some sort. (Everything I say is grain-of-salt territory... still in the boat of "the wise man knows that he knows nothing" even after 3 years)
    The accolades themselves, unfortunately no. But others can see your point total in your character info. And a new character can never get as high score as an old one, because of accolades that are no longer available.
  • Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    cody0893 wrote: »
    Content Soleing Based On One Toon Is Nuts Then They ARE Going To THAT Way WITH Ships As Well So All Other Toons Will Be Obsolete They Have Killed Your Alt Now They Are Going For Your Main

I really don't see how that's what is happening here. Your new toon created during this event gets a Delta mark next to their name and some additional stuff to do during the story arcs, but it's not like giving them the Super Soldier Formula and turning them into Captain Federation.

And something I noticed:

"and completing these goals will see them rewarded with equipment, Marks, and other rewards beneficial not just to the Delta Recruit, but to all characters on the same account."

I see bind-to-account stuff, and having one Delta in your roster will allow all of your other toons to get Dil drops for ship kills during the special event.

And AFAIK, I'll probably just use the free toon space as another farming mule between events. Remember people, this isn't WOW where you HAVE to have the latest shiny things in order to be allowed to play. It seems the closest comparison to WOW is this line:

"Finally, during the first six weeks of the seven-week Delta Recruit event, there will be server wide goals that only Delta Recruits can contribute to, but by accomplishing these goals, they unlock bonuses for the entire server for the whole of the next week of the event! "

Anyone remember the server-wide donation efforts to open up the gates of AQ, anyone?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    I really don't see how that's what is happening here. Your new toon created during this event gets a Delta mark next to their name and some additional stuff to do during the story arcs, but it's not like giving them the Super Soldier Formula and turning them into Captain Federation.
    For some people that additional stuff is important.
  • Options
    allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited March 2015

It doesn't have to say it anywhere in the blog, but how poorly it is presented at this time makes people wonder. If it's the exact same story and the exact same content, then why do I need a new character to run through it? Is this a taste of things to come? If so, then yes old characters are being looked poorly upon because Cryptic is unwilling to let them obtain this content for whatever pathetic reason. If there is some kind of temporal shenanigans going on, why wouldn't our current/main/only character not be effected? What I want to know is, if we do go through and make a new character just for the sake of the new account wide trait, if we delete it, do we keep the trait or will it vanish with the deletion?

As I've said before, I detest alts. I have zero desire to make them or maintain them in any way. But I will hold my judgment on this "new" content until more information is out.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    It seems the closest comparison to WOW is this line:

"Finally, during the first six weeks of the seven-week Delta Recruit event, there will be server wide goals that only Delta Recruits can contribute to, but by accomplishing these goals, they unlock bonuses for the entire server for the whole of the next week of the event! "

Anyone remember the server-wide donation efforts to open up the gates of AQ, anyone?

I don't think that is an accurate comparison. You didn't have to roll a new toon to help open up the gates to AQ. Your older toons could easily participate in an equal way that new ones could. Cryptic is excluding existing toons that aren't Delta in this case and that is something Blizzard never did.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The accolades themselves, unfortunately no. But others can see your point total in your character info. And a new character can never get as high score as an old one, because of accolades that are no longer available.

I find anyone who is taking a moment to check my my accolade score very creepy. Getting into stalker territory here.

Since most of the "accoldades" are useless, many people only focus on the ones that actually give bonuses. If there is no bonus, I am not wasting my time killing 2000 Orions. And others - if I've done a mission 300X then there is something wrong with me or the game.

bottomline: no one really cares about accolades except a handful of completists who are the only ones event bothering with things like collecting all the Path to 2409's. And many accolades are just blue ribbons for showing up because the younger people need to feel special.
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    davideightdavideight Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    its just easy to understand:

pwe needs you to create new chars.

cause new chars need more things than old chars.

and they try gating people into this with baits and least amount of work you could be drawn into this. so: same everything, give people acc wide items only obtainable in a limited window - get everyone to create at least one new char. (this char will need gear, will need dili for upgrades and will need a new ship maybe ...)

so step one: draw people into creating new chars, step 2: . , step 3: profit.

i mean, by now everyone must have realised that right?!