What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crystalline Entity Event [3/5 - 3/26]

Comments

• Options
    zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I like this torpedo. It'll force current antiproton users who don't use torpedos at all to take a second hard look at their builds. It could add some much needed variety to the game. Plus it looks like a crimson photon on steroids. :)

I wonder how it will look in high yield and spread.
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Wonderful news, ty for the blog.
    Kinda surprise the torp wasnt [WideArc]. Dunno, had a feeling it may had:rolleyes:. I mean, AP doesnt really need any more crit modifiers:eek:

Lets hope the CE will be fixed when the event will start. Otherwise it will be a mess :(
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Nice torp. Fed Sci and Rom Eng will definitely be running this, possibly KDF Eng also.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Tell me that torpedo is not happening. Tell me I'm having a nightmare.

People running AP need it to help compensate for running both those beam turrets in the back.
  • Options
    riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    One torp to rule them all. The must have item for any antiproton damage junkie.

Well if an AP boat launches a heavy payload of that thing.

http://i.imgur.com/8GicseC.jpg

they're in for a shock.
  • Options
    myrnwynmyrnwyn Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well if an AP boat launches a heavy payload of that thing.

http://i.imgur.com/8GicseC.jpg

they're in for a shock.

Will that actually work though? This torpedo ostensibly doesn't do kinetic damage.
  • Options
    drachenfelesdrachenfeles Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Tell me that torpedo is not happening. Tell me I'm having a nightmare.

I'll second that

PS there were plenty of interesting ways of designing crystalline torpedo to be, you know... crystalline

PPS if it will proc like regular kinetic torpedo (and description suggests it) it's even more ridiculous than it sounds
  • Options
    heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    No it's not. It can't be.

6630 base if you equip 5 tactical +AP consoles. Not counting CrtD rates.

It's not happening.

Torps are never buffed by energy weapon consoles. That's why you have to have seperate consoles for either plasma EW or plasma torps. As far as I can tell, this thing won't be buffed by any of the torp consoles except for the general ones, so I wouldn't freak out too much.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    heavensrun wrote: »
    Torps are never buffed by energy weapon consoles. That's why you have to have seperate consoles for either plasma EW or plasma torps. As far as I can tell, this thing won't be buffed by any of the torp consoles except for the general ones, so I wouldn't freak out too much.

please read the torpedo description again, with comprehension this time
  • Options
    myrnwynmyrnwyn Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited March 2015

You might want to go back and read the tooltip image in the blog. It's the nanopulse weapon of torpedoes.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have so many mixed feelings about that torp.

On one hand, useful torp! I love it! yay!

But then it's like, instead of making kinetic damage better against shields, let's just make torps into energy damage.

But then it's like, I'm okay with that as long as torps become useful.

But then it's like, it's only 1 torp and not any of the others so I don't know if this is a new pattern or a single isolated case or what.

After that it's like, someone on the dev team is a hardcore AP user to make it match with AP boats.

But then I'm like, dammit I hate you because I want to use something other than AP and not feel like a gimp.

But then it's like...you know what I don't even know where I'm going with this anymore. Whatevs
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    myrnwyn wrote: »
    You might want to go back and read the tooltip image in the blog. It's the nanopulse weapon of torpedoes.

Huh. Okay, either that's an oversight in the tooltip, or this is really broken.
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    with the recently fixed neutronic ts3 in mind i can't come around to get the impression that this torp will, again, top it all.
    better do something about it before it gets released! fix one way too op thing just to release the next.... gettin old, don't u think?!
    may better stick to kinetic cutting beam to get an impression of a more of balanced hybrid f.e.?!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    it's not simply OP it screams: there is only one way to play this game, my way, I play AP, I make AP overperform anything else and not by an inch, by a friggin mile! fear me and obey me!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I'll second that

PS there were plenty of interesting ways of designing crystalline torpedo to be, you know... crystalline

Something like a large shard (destructible, does a hull heal when it hits) would be interesting.
    This just strikes me as silly power creep.
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Given the 20-hour cooldown, I have to ask myself whether I finish the previous CC Event to gain the previous DOff prize, or scrap it in favor of earning this new torpedo prize.

Any thoughts? I'm likely going with the torp...
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    tucana66 wrote: »
    Given the 20-hour cooldown, I have to ask myself whether I finish the previous CC Event to gain the previous DOff prize, or scrap it in favor of earning this new torpedo prize.

It's up for 3 weeks, and only takes 2. Do both. That's what I did for the last one on my Orion. You can even have both active at the same time.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Unless it has a fire rate comparable to a beam array, then it will likely be a net DPS loss relative to a well modded FAW'd beam in the same place.

What would have been interesting is if the torp did kinetic damage that scaled relative to the AP damage output of the build.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    tucana66 wrote: »

You have 21 days to do 14 missions, not even counting the few extra days based on the 4 hours left over from the 20 hour cool down. You can probably do both. I know I can
  • Options
    carpfishercarpfisher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Is this torp going to behave like the Hargh'peng, with its inability to be affected by high yield/spread?
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Huh. Okay, either that's an oversight in the tooltip, or this is really broken.

I'd say this is far from an oversight. There has never been a torpedo of this kind before. If this thing does indeed get a boost from antiproton tactical consoles, I see it becoming a staple of antiproton builds.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Oh, this'll be a great way for my Alts to earn marks for their Reps, not to mention get tons of Dilithium Ore.

Cool. Thanks!

The only "down" side is that there are so few XP points to be made during a CE run.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    No it's not. It can't be.

6630 base if you equip 5 tactical +AP consoles. Not counting CrtD rates.

It's not happening.

Its worse then that if it stacks with concentrate firepower III. It will be like having 10 beam overloads to a targets shields over 20 seconds.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    It would be nice to hear from Trendy some info like, if the game treats it like a torpedo, is it reflected by the Rademaker's console or Feedback Pulse. Cause if it ends to be what I think, it's going to end bad.
  • Options
    rodiclonusrodiclonus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    swamarian wrote: »
    People running AP need it to help compensate for running both those beam turrets in the back.

You mean all 3? AND the KCB?
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This is only really going to help DHC/torp/turret people.

DBB/Omni may use it if it turns out to have decent DPS, but that's an extra set of abilities to fit in.

Beam Array users, which are probably the most common, aren't going to have much use of a non-arc torpedo.
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So this torp is essentially a giant single antiproton cannon with narrow arc that can only fire every 8 seconds or so?

What the hell is the point? Why not just use a regular AP DHC?
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Just tell me it's a nightmare and end this...
  • Options
    mattaukettmattaukett Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Now that torpedo really is looking OP in the extreme for anyone running an AP build, be interesting to see how long it takes for someone to get a 100k Crit of one of those things (or higher - I'm sure someone's going to be taking that as a challenge :cool:).

Only downside is it feels like we're bouncing from grindy event to grindy event at the moment without much of a break to recover (yes I know its an MMO and the payout is nice on this one, but it would be nice to just be able to play the game for a couple of weeks without having to grind out a particular aspect repeatedly).
  • Options
    spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hehe, I thought it said anti-photon torpedo.

I hope it comes pre-nerfed.

Since torpedoes suck in this game anyway, will anyone equip this?
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock