Install Arc
Options

Crystalline Entity Event [3/5 - 3/26]

Comments

• Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Do you need all these shinies to take down NPCs? You see that I'm right when I say PvE community is acid, selfish and ignorant of game mechanics.

Really? Seems that the only ones who get all up in arms and cry foul are PVP. I will not bend a knee to PVP's. If they (Dev's) want to keep balance in PVP then create a set of arena type gear just for PVP if WOW can do it and Never Winter can why not Trek?

And in the world I came from, PvP-exclusive gear is a "crutch" that is taken when devs can't balance their own game. Personally, I don't want to have to grind out a set of PvE gear to grind out a set of PvP gear - on the off chance I ever decide that I want to PvP...

Therefore, proper balancing for PvP and PvE is a "must". What sucks is the "dual standard" of PvP (aka shooting at player-numbered and player-skilled ships) and piles-of-HP-and-no-skill NPCs. Tetryon beam, you know, that "oft neglected Science BOff power, is actually very balanced in PvP combat, but when sent against a ship with 17x the shields of a player, well, the effect is barely noticeable. It's been said before, and I'll reiterate it here: NPCs need to be built more like player ships with multiple low-damage weapons, skills stuck on a "faceroll spacebar keybind" automated activation sequence to be subnuced away or timed around, etc. etc.

Then, you won't hear complaints of the hyper-powerful Borg shield neutralizer opening up one-hit-kill torps. You won't hear "power X is useless outside of PvP and it can't be balanced for both worlds". Heck, you might not even need to see "disables only affect players for 5 seconds while it's supposed to affect NPCs for 10 before their resists kick it down to .5 seconds"...

But I digress. Seeking confirmation: This torp will be 100% affected by the exact same 75% shield damage reduction that all other torpedoes face? I see much confusion on the subject (just because damage is enhanced by +energy consoles and the resultant damage type is classified as "energy" therefore bypassing kinetic affecting consoles like the Rademaker's reflector does not mean that it is going to damage shields like "energy" does)
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    caelrasstocaelrassto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Another quick suggestion:

Make the damage Proton. Then it's buffed by some of the Dyson set stuff, but that's it. Boost the damage to make it useful.

That'll resolve the AP favoritism issues. PvP balance issues, I'm not qualified nor interested to debate.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Lol, the BO change and adjustment to avoid one hit kills was a big issue because according to them because there shouldn't be one hit kills. Then the devs got amnesia.

The LOL part you left out was cutting the damage so much its a worthless skill in PvE now

Basically it had to be designed for PvP only to balance it

It should have got a Verses player fix bit it didn't it just got a PvP fix and a big PvE NERF
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    LOL I smell a new mini-game. He who can keep his FP active the longest wins.
    Or can pop a second reflection ability in time (Voth ship or Adv. Obelisk).

But yeah; more or less a Russian roulette + Ping-Pong using FP/FBP and a Crystalline Torpedo.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    dareau wrote: »
    But I digress. Seeking confirmation: This torp will be 100% affected by the exact same 75% shield damage reduction that all other torpedoes face? I see much confusion on the subject (just because damage is enhanced by +energy consoles and the resultant damage type is classified as "energy" therefore bypassing kinetic affecting consoles like the Rademaker's reflector does not mean that it is going to damage shields like "energy" does)

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=22606541&postcount=63
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Says that the usual batch of kinetic defenses (Kinetic only resist consoles, Rademaker reflection console, etc.) won't work.

Tooltip screenshot reads "torpedoes are high damage projectiles that are effective against ship hulls, but shields absorb most of the impact".

Hence the whole "seeking confirmation" bit... ;)
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    dareau wrote: »
    Says that the usual batch of kinetic defenses (Kinetic only resist consoles, Rademaker reflection console, etc.) won't work.

Tooltip screenshot reads "torpedoes are high damage projectiles that are effective against ship hulls, but shields absorb most of the impact".

Hence the whole "seeking confirmation" bit... ;)

The first part of Bort's post states the tooltip isn't correct...then he answered that particular question, giving the confirmation. Er...
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Can we have plasma torpedoes be boosted by plasma energy consoles now that uber-broken AP is getting it?

Two 360 arrays and now a torp that uses the same consoles on top of a proc that players can control both the chance and severity of? Really?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Can we have plasma torpedoes be boosted by plasma energy consoles now that uber-broken AP is getting it?

Two 360 arrays and now a torp that uses the same consoles on top of a proc that players can control both the chance and severity of? Really?

This, writ large.

Regardless of the Torp's balance / utility, for some reason AP seems uniquely favoured. Assuming all procs were equal (debatable) going AP allows you to run an extra 360' beam and now an energy-console-boosted torp. No other damage type allows this.

Consoles which boost torp and energy weapon damage are a good thing; they encourage diversity and support players who want canon-style builds. But why pick AP and not Phaser / Disruptor / Plasma...?
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hey guys!

The tooltip shown in today's Dev Blog is approximately the same item that will be rewarded, but the fine details are still undergoing one last tuning pass. It was supposed to be done before the Blog was published, but unfortunately we failed to hit that deadline. We'll try and get an updated/final tooltip into the blog as soon as it's available (should be today).

That's a really good way to look at it. With a few additional unique variations:

- Does not benefit from Weapon Power
    - Does not suffer from Range drop-off
    - Benefits from Torpedo Combo Abilities (Torpedo Spread, High Yield, etc)
    - Enhanced by any items/bonuses that are "+Antiproton Damage" but not "+Beam/Cannon Damage"
    - NOT Enhanced by +Torpedo Damage items/bonuses
    - Deals Antiproton Damage, so is not subject to the same Strengths/Resists as a standard Kinetic Torpedo (this includes the Rademaker console that was asked about, though a standard Feedback Pulse WILL reflect this Torpedo)

Also, aside from all of that, it's really freakin' pretty. Seriously - you guys should see this thing in action, it's gorgeous.

Incidentally, are we ever going to get "unique" torpedoes that we can slot two of on a ship; sort of like the retrofit phasers where we can slot one in front and one in the rear?
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ok, I'll bite just this once...

Please explain your thoughts on how this is so different from a Beam Overload, or a cycle of Canon Rapid Fire, or a Phaser Lance, so as to render it game-breakingly unbalanced.

Given that it synergizes perfectly with energy weapons, and only antiproton at that, in a way that no other Torpedo into the ENTIRE game does, how can it possibly not be unbalanced?

Pretty much a huge slap in the face for all of us who try to mix other energy weapon types and torpedoes, such as Phasers and Quantums or Disruptors and Photons etc, as we are "forced" to make tradeoffs, while this new torpedo will require none whatsoever.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I haven't done the Crystalline Catastrophe event since the anniversary event started because I saw bug reports on the forums of it being broken.

And right now players are still reporting various issues with the event and indicating it's still completely broken, and in 3 days we're gonna have a special event for it?

The main issue players seem to be having is that right now the CE event isn't giving out any rewards at all. No rep marks, dilithium, or anything.

I hope you guys can get the CE PVE event fixed the day the special event for it goes live, otherwise you're probably gonna see lots of reports of players not getting their daily Crystal Shard item for the event project. I hope ya'all are prepared to extend the event if that happens.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Cryptic's favoritism of AP is so obvious...the best example of it I can give is the 9001 things they've done which aren't AP. Oh wait...

/facepalm

...well, I guess if one completely ignores reality then it is a completely justifiable complaint.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Almost forgot.

About that Crystal Shard non-combat space pet from the very first Crystalline Cataclysm event.

The second time this event ran someone asked about the pet and someone from Cryptic (possibly the previous community manager pwebranflakes) said you guys were gonna find a way to make it available again. Well that was well over a year ago. I love the pet and would like to get it for characters that weren't created until some time after the first event.

I also have noticed that each time this event, and the mirror universe invasion event, run you offer a new reward and the older rewards can't be obtained anymore.

So I have a suggestion. Take all of the previous CE and mirror universe event reward items/doffs/etc., put them in a box, and sell them in the Lobi store.

I regret getting the Zephrem Cochran Shotgun on only 1 character during the last mirror invasion event. At the time I just didn't feel like running the event each day on all 11 characters I had then (my Talaxian captain makes 12) and I would like a chance to obtain those previous rewards some how some way. Even if it means I have to open lock boxes to get some Lobi for them. :)

P.S. To the players: I just don't get you people. Since DR launched a lot of you have been complaining that advanced and elite difficulty is too difficult and now we have a chance to get a new unique torpedo launcher and everybody is complaining it's too OP. What's up with that? :confused:
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    P.S. To the players: I just don't get you people. Since DR launched a lot of you have been complaining that advanced and elite difficulty is too difficult and now we have a chance to get a new unique torpedo launcher and everybody is complaining it's too OP. What's up with that? :confused:

Newsflash to Cryptic: Other energy types than AP rumored to exist!
  • Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Don't worry guys.

This torpedo will be the first to completely synergize with EPtW (+All Energy Damage).
  • Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    swamarian wrote: »
    Something like a large shard (destructible, does a hull heal when it hits) would be interesting.
    So the torpedo would look/act like a miniature version of the CE's shards? That, sir, is a brilliant idea. I would also suggest that the art team look into crafting a 'crystalline' hull material option that could be an unlock for running X iterations of CC(A)... however, proper implementation thereof has as requisite the oft-sought idea of fleshing out the ship tailor so that the various rep visuals would be unlocked there instead of being attached to items.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Uhh......the person above my post you quoted was the one saying Cryptic favors Anti-proton damage. I said nothing at all about energy types in my post so I'm assuming you meant to quote that other person.

The thing I find funny is that people were complaining about some Neutronic torpedo being too OP then Cryptic changed it recently and now some people are complaining about it being nerfed and how useless it is.

Same thing with this new torpedo. People complaining it's too OP before we even have a chance to obtain it. In a couple weeks if Cryptic has to make adjustments to it people will be complaining about it being nerfed.

Honestly. Some of you people need to put sand down your pants so the crabs feel more at home. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Newsflash to players: Other energy types than AP rumored to exist!

Antiproton
    Fluidic Antiproton
    Voth Antiproton

vs.

Disruptor
    Plasma-Disruptor
    Spiral Wave Disruptor
    Bio-Molecular Disruptor
    Polarized Disruptor
    Elachi Crescent
    Nanite Disruptor
    Elite Fleet Disruptor

Phaser (+Retro & Andorian)
    Bio-Molecular Phaser
    Phased Biomatter
    Elite Fleet Phaser

Plasma
    Romulan Plasma
    Caustic Plasma
    Corrosive Plasma

Polaron
    Dominion Polaron
    Phased Polaron
    Protonic Polaron
    Thoron Infused Polaron
    Vaadwaur Polaron

Tetryon
    Phased Tetryon
    Polarized Tetryon
    Destabilizing Tetryon
    Piercing Tetryon
    Refracting Tetryon

And what's up with that 2pc Obelisk providing that boost only to AP? That 2pc that requires giving up AMP in favor of a worse boost...hrmm. Oh well, it's not like Disruptors/Phasers have anything near that which doesn't require giving up AMP...oh wait. Well, it's not like Disruptors, Tetryon, Polaron, Plasma also have some Strength boosts that AP doesn't...oh wait. Well, there aren't any Disruptor/Phaser/Plasma console weapons or the like...oh wait. Course, this will be the first Projectile weapon that has any synergy with Energy weapons...oh wait. Well, this Crystal torp will be the first Projectile weapon that does other than Kinetic damage...oh wait.

It's not that Cryptic favors anything, it's that players favor something and cry that Cryptic doesn't favor what they favor.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Antiproton
    Fluidic Antiproton
    Voth Antiproton

vs.

Disruptor
    Plasma-Disruptor
    Spiral Wave Disruptor
    Bio-Molecular Disruptor
    Polarized Disruptor
    Elachi Crescent
    Nanite Disruptor
    Elite Fleet Disruptor

Phaser (+Retro & Andorian)
    Bio-Molecular Phaser
    Phased Biomatter
    Elite Fleet Phaser

Plasma
    Romulan Plasma
    Caustic Plasma
    Corrosive Plasma

Polaron
    Dominion Polaron
    Phased Polaron
    Protonic Polaron
    Thoron Infused Polaron
    Vaadwaur Polaron

Tetryon
    Phased Tetryon
    Polarized Tetryon
    Destabilizing Tetryon
    Piercing Tetryon
    Refracting Tetryon

And what's up with that 2pc Obelisk providing that boost only to AP? That 2pc that requires giving up AMP in favor of a worse boost...hrmm. Oh well, it's not like Disruptors/Phasers have anything near that which doesn't require giving up AMP...oh wait. Well, it's not like Disruptors, Tetryon, Polaron, Plasma also have some Strength boosts that AP doesn't...oh wait. Well, there aren't any Disruptor/Phaser/Plasma console weapons or the like...oh wait. Course, this will be the first Projectile weapon that has any synergy with Energy weapons...oh wait. Well, this Crystal torp will be the first Projectile weapon that does other than Kinetic damage...oh wait.

It's not that Cryptic favors anything, it's that players favor something and cry that Cryptic doesn't favor what they favor.

How many energy types get two 360 arrays?

And now gets a torp that runs off the energy consoles?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    How many energy types get two 360 arrays?

And now gets a torp that runs off the energy consoles?

How many Fed ships have cloaks compared to KDF ships? Obviously Cryptic favors the Klingons!
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited March 2015

How many Fed ships have cloaks compared to KDF ships? Obviously Cryptic favors the Klingons!

...LOL... I love Virusdancer....

...Sweet Jebus man, I can't stop giggling over these two posts...

:D

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    theforefathertheforefather Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Will all levels get the mk XIII torpedo or is it scaling? I really hope it is the mk XIII so I have something to hold onto when I get to max on my klink
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2015

KDF is still playable?
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Please explain your thoughts on how this is so different from a Beam Overload, or a cycle of Canon Rapid Fire, or a Phaser Lance, so as to render it game-breakingly unbalanced.

Well, the biggest thing I see is that Torpedoes in STO have always been about burst damage, the type you want done when the shields dropped and you wanted to get a big boom. To offset that, you had to worry about what consoles you wanted to use, did you want more energy then kinetic or vice versa.

Now you can literally stack 5 consoles of AP and not only boost a DBB boat with 2 - 360 degree omni-beams all benefiting from beam overload and FAW, but the consoles now boost your torp too.

So basically I can use BO or FAW to fry someones shields to nothing, pop a HY to TS torp into them as normal, but now I don't have to worry about splitting consoles between energy and kinetic, just need one type to boost them all.

SO basically any ship out there that uses any other type of torpedo needs to decide how to balance out their tactical consoles. AP users can TRIBBLE all that and just buff it to hell and high water with one console type... ever.

The torp itself seems basically balanced. It's that you took away any balance when you said "you don't need other types of consoles any more... just one of them".

Imagine the same thing in a plasma vape build where you only needed one console to boost not only plasma energy but a plasma torp (say like the romulan triple shot torp). And AP is right up there with Plasma in borderline OP.

I'm not shocked that you made this thing... I mean for years Cryptic has proven that they live for power creep with a cycle of nerf just before the next big thing comes out to get everyone excited about the next OP item.

What shocks me is you honestly ask "how can this be OP?"

Compared to BO or FAW or CRF it's not. COmpared to how everyone one else needs to boost their torpedo damage using other consoles that AP users won't it'll be a monster of a torpedo.
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am a little happy and upset. This torp IS going to be a very powerful one for anyone running AP. That is good for me, because since the game is now focused only on DPS, I have an AP build.

The reason I am a little upset is because they keep doing something like this. They come out with a single weapon like a torp that does really good, but is not game braking (except for PVP players that don't know how to adapt to it) and they nerf the hell out of it after a lot of players get it.

I am not talking about the broken things that needed to be fixed, but the things that didn't need a fix. Heck, look at BO. The second time it was nerfed, it was clearly not needed. It was working perfectly. Now it only does about the same damage without getting a crit that it did before it was given 100% crit.

This one will almost certainly be getting nerfed after the event is over. Only a matter of time. But till then, it will be a very useful torp to have on an AP build.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    cbob312cbob312 Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Great I can finish my queues from last time.
  • Options
    starwheelerstarwheeler Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    this torpedo look like a replica of the tricobalt torpedo wich at lvl XIII give 5397.8 kinetic damage so not sure i will like it but we can dream lol !will dps make a difference?
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    To be fair, some of those weapon types are lockbox only, or have pretty crappy procs (Thoron-Infused Polarons notably).

As well, some like Caustic Plasma are Rom-only, and I think there's a Disruptor with a Plasma Proc that's KDF-only.

What would really help out is if all the Reputation Beams were Omnis (or Arc cannons), as well as the initial unique Mission Reward weapons. Certain Beam Arrays awarded by Missions should instead have a one-time Omni reward version (replays only grant the other Omni if available or regular Array versions), since their Mods are generally almost as useless as the mods on Omnis (Acc/CritD/Dmg etc), and can be made VR just by adding the [Arc] tag. Besides, almost no one uses reward weapons due to their relative uselessness Mod-wise. An [Arc] tag to upgrade the Arrays to Beam Omnis would at least give them a second look.

Specifically:
    Polarized Tetryon
    Piercing Tetryon
    Plasma Disruptor
    Dominion Polaron
    Caustic Plasma

Even if it's just one Omni of each, at least that's 4 more types. If we include the Delta and Rom weapons as Omnis; that's 2 Tetryon choices, 2 Plasma choices (though IIRC, Caustic Plasma is a Rom-exclusive), and 2 Polaron choices. If the Proton weapon is also made an Omni; that's a unique non-standard weapon type.

If necessary, Cryptic could also make both Phaser types from "Everything Old is New" have a one-time Omni variant; one regular Phaser Omni (preferably the CritDx2 version rather than the Accx2 version) and one Retrofit Omni version (the CrtH/Dam version with the equally obnoxious SFX) for a Phaser-based Omni or two as well (and if two, would leave KDF with one possible Omni Disruptor type while everyone else gets 2 variants; which is par for Cryptic). Only one Mission Reward Omni can be equipped alongside a Crafted Omni of course (so you can't equip the Two Reward Omni Tetryons, for example).

Not only would they make those weapon types a bit more useful, but would also help out those working their way up; with some of them possibly being the only pre-level 50 Omnis available, which can now be upgraded if the player is willing.
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015

Shields have an innate 75% resist to kinetic damage, such as from torpedoes. If the damage type is antiproton, it will bypass that innate resist and deal full damage to shields, making massively more powerful than any other torpedo in the game. I assume this is what he's thinking about.