test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Change In Command

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited February 2015

What does it tell us about the development team that we have to pour booze into them.. :P
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • jjdezjjdez Member Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    helgmorn wrote: »
    Sector space, with less warping, OH YES!!!!!!!!!

This is good, good indeed.

Because that was one of the key bugs that needed some attention. Ugh

I mean sure, great they are doing things to improve QoL, but man the order of importance in the eyes of the devs seems to be inverse to that of the players. Go figure.
  • raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, this is an interesting development. Hope this means more stuff and things to make the player base happy.

On that note...for those of you who are raging or getting on the new EP's aft about changes to the game and already crying foul for 'ignoring PvP' or this that and the other thing...and also to the Dev team...Keep in mind the words of this guy. (Time stamp is 23m 42s into the video in case it loads up to the start).

He's not even talking about STO and I do not think he plays Star Trek Online. But what he says has bearing on us as much as anything else.

We know what we don't want pretty much but do we know what we want and can agree on it? Cause some days it seems like we are the most fickle MMO playerbase on the net...and I play World of Tanks on the 360 when not in STO and we got more agreement there than I see here some days.

To the Dev team, keep in mind what we say we DON'T want. Not what we want. See above as to why I think this.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hopefully this will bring some sort of fresh air to STO, but i'm still skeptical even with Geko still calling the shots what goes in most aspects of STO.

PvP do needs a overhaul revamp, of course this will not change overnight... new PvP maps needed to made to replaced the original maps which is terribily made compare to most PvE maps, especially the PvP Ground maps... of course the newer STO team members don't know the original code for the older PvP maps so they have to make new maps to replace the current ones. do i expect a massive patch or a entire season dedicated for PvP? no... but they can slowly release a few content for PvP once in awhile to show that they care for the PvP community which is something they never done, of course some Pure PvE Fanatics will argue that PvP do have updates like PvP Dilithium Reward Nerf's, Shuttles Copy N Paste Maps, Kar'ret Map with Fixed spawn points from a Dev's that spend his free time working on, Cross factions PvP again with Copy N Paste Maps in which they kill off KvF PvP so they can have their Fake Peace so they can abandon the development of the KDF faction... these what Pro-Fed Anti-PvP fanatics called massive content updates to PvP.

As for the other thing i want to see changed in STO is a balance between factions, i would like to see the KDF have more faction exculsive ships especially at T6 not only for the Klingons but also i like to see new Orions, Gorn, Nasicaans, Ferasen, Lethean, etc... because at this moment the KDF only have 2 oppose to 6-7 of the Fed Side which already have more T6 ships than the KDF and Roms combined.

As for bugs, they have to be dealt with more priorty, it seems most of the time Cryptic when after making something new, they decide to make another new sets of abilities, gimmicks, whatever while leaving the previous stuff they came out still bugged that will either take a very long time to get their attention or decided not to fix it at all.

While i'm only slighty hopeful that this new ExProducer could make an impact... as of which only time could only tell if it will be a positive or a negative one. but i don't see things changing when it comes to PvP, KDF or Roms as long Geko is still Lead Designer of STO which over the years he has been shown his Pro-Fed bias.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    pvp is worth development time because by just existing at all, it puts a major incentive on spending money to buy the best ships, buying the most keys, loging in and spending the most time grinding, getting the best gear, upgrading everything to gold mk14, just the best reason of all to make a totally done character. nothing in pve can incentive putting that much effort into developing a character, and it seems crytic is hell bent on making players stay loged in as much as possible, dragging out all these grinds to the extent that they have.

its the only content in the game that truly requires maxed out characters, skill maters too but you need the gear foundation or you cant compete. every pvp match is content that creates itself, each match is different. of ANYTHING they could do, with pvp they would get the most return out of the least development time put in. not only that, it infinitely renews itself, no mater how much time and effort is put into a pve episode, its only fresh a single play through.

if the team put .1/10th of their dev time into pvp, they could get more out of it then a year's worth of episodes.

People already buy lockbox keys and all that. So the question is -what does it cost to make the people that spend money now to spend that money, and what does it cost to make good PvP that more people spend that money?

You know, I love(d) STO Space PvP But the truth is - particularly stuff like lockbox ships took the fun out of it. All the power creep to get the newest ship, or the newest console, and then only fly the few broken things and nothing else. All the Grind stuff (get these Special DOOF, get these Fleet Items or Set Items).
    It sucks the fun out of PvP for me. And that means if you want to "fix" PvP - you actually need to limit and reign that in. If you don't, it remains the broken mess it is, but if you do, there is less incentive to buy the OP TRIBBLE.

The game needs something like "Vanilla PvP" (aka Season 1.2 PvP aka "PvP with rose coloured glasses"). But where is the business model there? How do you monetize that effectively?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hello, I'm from Cryptic. I'm here to tell you that the next major update will be....

Removing Invisible Walls.

Stay tuned for future updates!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The sector space revamp will be very much appreciated. Can't wait to see that. :D
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    eltatus wrote: »
    lmao, they preffer to upgrade sector space than to fix PVP.

Sorry, but you already started bad Mr Ricossa.

What was the statistic Cryptic cited? Barely 3% of STO players having ever tried PVP once?

There's your answer.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    Overall, with the sentiment on the forums i don't envy anyone in charge at cryptic.

Which sentiment ... disliking both times D'Angelo was in charge, while almost giving up on the game (both times) ... sure guilty as charged ... he's probably a wonderful "Chief Technical Officer" but he *** ***, as "(Interim) EP" ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, congrats to our new Overlord, may he post more than 3 times in two years or so. :D

No, seriously everything about D'Angelo screamed "Leave me alone ! It's too bright out here".

Now, someone needs to promote Geko ... Ambassador to a remote island with no internet access maybe ? :P
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Now that Ive made my Doubting Thomas post, if they are going to do this, it better be good.

Im expecting more HEIGHT to the Galaxy, at least twice as high as the current shoebox height so that we're traveling horizontally across the galaxy as we pass each other. The Briar Patch should be a wall in space to either go around or go way above or below it. Proper Star Trek map representation, as best as can be replicated, with Neutral Zones that have MEANING. Or maybe there is no NZ this day and age? There should be comets that move around the galaxy in a predictable path and you have to catch up with it for some sort of daily. Or ate comets just within solar systems, I forget? A moving Nexus ribbon? It should feel like a fishbowl with a few objects constantly moving around in the galaxy that are there for looks as well as for dailys or missions or doffing.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Notice how all these guys claim to be big Star Trek fan's yet the game seems to be becoming nothing like Star Trek.
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    and the same veteran team that brought you Delta Rising is here to execute those plans

that fills me with DREAD!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    For some reason, reading this news about sector space, all I can think is "the walls are coming down around me"...
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Now that Ive made my Doubting Thomas post, if they are going to do this, it better be good.

Im expecting more HEIGHT to the Galaxy, at least twice as high as the current shoebox height so that we're traveling horizontally across the galaxy as we pass each other. The Briar Patch should be a wall in space to either go around or go way above or below it. Proper Star Trek map representation, as best as can be replicated, with Neutral Zones that have MEANING. Or maybe there is no NZ this day and age? There should be comets that move around the galaxy in a predictable path and you have to catch up with it for some sort of daily. Or ate comets just within solar systems, I forget? A moving Nexus ribbon? It should feel like a fishbowl with a few objects constantly moving around in the galaxy that are there for looks as well as for dailys or missions or doffing.

I doubt we're getting anything like that, they're probably just combining maps together.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    Gamma Orionis is in the Beta quadrant, look at the ingame map, top left cornor has a Galaxy map.

:confused: indeed, my statement is accurate. everything BUT the cardi sectors, and new gamma sectors, are in the beta quadrant.

meaning everything to the right of, and including the sirius sector, are all beta quadrant. only the 3 cardi and the 1 deferi block are in the alpha quadrant in this game.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    In other words, Season 10: RIP Doffing ....

How in the world did you come to that conclusion? (I'm not expecting a response. It was a rhetoric am question all.) But I will answer your unspoken question anyway.

Cryptic had location based DOFF assignments in the game already. Ever been to Allied Space in the Solanae Sphere? Locator based DOFF assignments are all over the place. That is how they will implent DOFF assignments in combined Sector Space.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    pvp is worth development time because by just existing at all, it puts a major incentive on spending money to buy the best ships, buying the most keys, loging in and spending the most time grinding, getting the best gear, upgrading everything to gold mk14, just the best reason of all to make a totally done character. nothing in pve can incentive putting that much effort into developing a character, and it seems crytic is hell bent on making players stay loged in as much as possible, dragging out all these grinds to the extent that they have.

its the only content in the game that truly requires maxed out characters, skill maters too but you need the gear foundation or you cant compete. every pvp match is content that creates itself, each match is different. of ANYTHING they could do, with pvp they would get the most return out of the least development time put in. not only that, it infinitely renews itself, no mater how much time and effort is put into a pve episode, its only fresh a single play through.

if the team put .1/10th of their dev time into pvp, they could get more out of it then a year's worth of episodes.

But what good is all that, if the majority of the player base has no interest in PvP???

Do you mean to suggest that Cryptic should force players to do PvP?
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    :confused: indeed, my statement is accurate. everything BUT the cardi sectors, and new gamma sectors, are in the beta quadrant.

meaning everything to the right of, and including the sirius sector, are all beta quadrant. only the 3 cardi and the 1 deferi block are in the alpha quadrant in this game.

Oh, I misread you, I thought you said 'are' in the Beta quadrant.
    I thought you got Alpha and Beta backwards.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    daveyny wrote: »
    But what good is it if the majority of the player base has no interest in PvP???

Because reasons.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Hmmm...D'Angelo has left...well, good luck to the new guy. He says he's been active with patch notes, etc, and posting them on the forum. Does this mean he's crypticfrost, coldsnapped, or none of the above?

Stephen Ricossa is the developer we know as Salamiinferno on the forums.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • eltatuseltatus Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    mewi wrote: »
    Hello, I'm from Cryptic. I'm here to tell you that the next major update will be....

Removing Invisible Walls.

Stay tuned for future updates!

LOL.. well said.. you nail it..

and we are suppost to welcome this new helm? Hell no..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    walshicus wrote: »
    Sector space is more important than PvP.

But let's not pretend there was anything he could have said that you'd be happy with. :)

:D made lol'ed so hard.... the worst: that guy is serious.... no words dude, no words. get a cookie and njoy dumb npc's lol....

so, new leadership, eh?! welcome to the sharkpool :)...
    P
    v
    P dudes, since YEARS!!! get it on... won't go further, would get unpolite:P!

for the record, here's what was talked about for years (of which NOTHING!!! happened..........):

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=233254

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=826171
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    Because reasons.

Heh ...

Oh, I forgot about those. ;)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • valen006valen006 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This is the problem with StO. First, the developers say they are Star Trek Fans but are not like Gen Xers and Baby Boomers who grew up on Star Trek TOS, Movies, TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise. If your developers came from this group they would be Star Trek first and game development second. Star Wars Old Republic comes from Lucas Arts which spins out of Lucas Film. They make a game that comes straight from the source. The developers have guild conferences. They take the game on tour. STO with the number of Star Trek fans should have strive to be the flagship game for Star Trek. AT a Star Trek Convention you should have more folks at your conference panel than Bill Shatner Speaking. In the conference panel, there should be a debate between guilds and players about the direction of the game. What works and what sucks. Voice overs we should have settled that a long time ago.

Since its the fifth anniversary I do not see any video promotion for the game. In closing to build this game you need to plug into the true base the trek fans at a Star Trek Convention the core of Star Trek.
  • gettorixgettorix Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I find it hilarious how many people start screaming that STO will not survive the change in leadership, or not survive the next update. People have literally been saying that since the first days of this game, and yet it is bigger, better, and more popular than ever.

Just enjoy it… It's just a game. And the game that keeps getting better, at that.

Also, while I certainly think that the sector space revamp is an amazing thing to do, it would be nice if PVP got a brush up. I'm not a PVP person, but I think it could add a lot to the game if it had a stronger PVP community.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I, for one, welcome our new ricossian overlords.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I also don't care for PvP, in a game I play because of Star Trek. I'd rather see QoL improvements, bug fixes, re-vamp of the old content, more story-content, more customization for ships, characters, Foundry improvements, exploration, less obvious grind... not particulary in this order, but, there.

Best of luck to the new guy at the helm.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Stephen D’Angelo gone already eh? That was quick...or not. I don't know what is considered a decent term as top dog in the gaming industry, but I'd guess they tend to last more than a year?
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Not that anything in the blog or this threads topic is actually about PvP...... :confused::rolleyes: