test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lunchtime Livestreams - Classic Romulan Missions

pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Catch any of the recorded versions of CaptainSmirk's last run through these Classic Romulan Missions, all leading up to the amazing Remastering of the Romulan Story Arc that will be released with our 5th Anniversary Event, coming 1/29 2015. While these classic versions will retire to the Cryptic Vault forever, the new remastered story arc will amaze you! Read up more about this remastering here!

Come get your first last look at these missions before they are Remastered in tomorrow's anniversary release!

The shows are listed below with links to our TwitchTV Channel with each show recorded separately.

Come say goodbye to these great stories before they cloak forever!

~CaptainSmirk

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Join CaptainSmirk for one last run of the Classic Romulan mission, Under the Cover of Night, and find our just how far one rogue operative from the Federation might go to sell Starfleet’s secrets to the Romulans! It’s a race against the clock to find this missing officer, and stop her, before she devastates the security of entire worlds.

The show begins today at 12PM PDT, and the recorded versions will be available to see posted here.

Click this link to be taken to our Twitch Channel.

~CaptainSmirk

Will there be free popcorn?

If not...what if I just randomly showed up at the PWE front desk? Can I haz at that point? :P
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Before they cloak forever?

Answer me this: Is this content being removed from the game? Other content as well? What will be taking its place?

If NOT, explain the tagline please.
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This was the original introduction of Franklin Drake. Kind of wish they'd rework it to act as an introduction for him again. (It's kind of weird that he just comes to you out of the blue now.)
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm not sure the removal of so many missions should be highlighted like that. But at least the download size of the game will be smaller. :P
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Well if they are pruning story content to force people to grind, I'll be pruning the game from my hard-drive. There isn't enough content in this game as it is, we can't afford to be removing ANYTHING without a direct 1-1 replacement.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    themarie wrote: »

Answer me this: Is this content being removed from the game? Other content as well? What will be taking its place?

There are new missions being built to better tie in the romulan side of things. They are for testing on tribble now.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited January 2015

This as well as several other missions are being swept aside due to them not really fitting in with some of the newer content. Some of the missions being removed are being revamped and made to look/sound/read better into the more "modern" STO story line.

Overall, I believe we're losing 11 Fed missions, Roms and KDF lose nothing, and only 4 of them are being revamped. Or at least only 4 are taking their place. I suppose that more than one element from some of the missions could be tied into the revamps. I won't know until they go live, but I believe they are on Tribble currently.

Ninja'd :P
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Well then.

Such a thing should be advertised better, less you know... ya'll start another player revolt? I mean that is what the community interfaces are for.

This is the first I am hearing about it, I saw it go by on Facebook without a word of explanation.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    That's right, there are plans for these stories and for the Romulans.

Keep an eye out for upcoming blogs about these stories, and get ready to enjoy some amazing work from our Dev team.

There are some Easter eggs in the 1/9 Tribble Release notes that can give you a hint to what is coming.

Make sure to check, and if you have some fun going thru these missions with your Fleetmates!

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well if they are pruning story content to force people to grind, I'll be pruning the game from my hard-drive. There isn't enough content in this game as it is, we can't afford to be removing ANYTHING without a direct 1-1 replacement.
    Really? There is a lot of talk about being "forced" to do something in this game, but I have never been forced to do anything in this game at all. Perhaps it is a perception thing, where some people perceive that Cryptic is forcing players to do what they want the players to do, however, that's just it, being forced to do something is a veritable illusion.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Keep an eye out for upcoming blogs about these stories, and get ready to enjoy some amazing work from our Dev team.

There are some Easter eggs in the 1/9 Tribble Release notes that can give you a hint to what is coming.

Make sure to check, and if you have some fun going thru these missions with your Fleetmates!

~CaptainSmirk

Yay, I found the easter egg that says they are removing 15 missions and do 4 new ones, for a total of -11 Romulan missions ! Surprise ! :P
  • Options
    edited January 2015

~CaptainSmirk

That's not advertising or informing the playebase. That's trying to provoke another ragestorm. Question is why would such a thing be done? Someone at HQ enjoy turning the forums into a vortex of flame?
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,871 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Overall, I believe we're losing 11 Fed missions, Roms and KDF lose nothing, and only 4 of them are being revamped. Or at least only 4 are taking their place. I suppose that more than one element from some of the missions could be tied into the revamps. I won't know until they go live, but I believe they are on Tribble currently.

Without spoiling, yes aspects from multiple episodes are being tied into new missions (though don't expect the 4 new missions to be nothing more than a cliff-notes version of the old story line, changes are made and not everything is being brought back.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The Classic Romulan Missions will be showcased in a series of lunchtime Livestreams to remember these amazing stories, and take a last look before they cloak!
    If they are so "amazing" then why are they being removed...?

Least you could do is turn some of the missions of the current Romulan Arc into optional Patrols/dailies. Removing content forever like that is just wrong, even more so with the fact that you're showcasing the old stuff.

Quality over quantity is good and all that, but you should still give players an OPTION, especially for the content that's been here since launch and for some people is, in a way, quite nostalgic. New stuff is certainly going to be shorter and certainly won't feature as many locations, visuals, encounters etc.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    As I said earlier, keep your eyes on the news page for upcoming blogs about this :)

In order to fit this into our schedule, I need to start today, but the more in depth info will hit the news page soon, so just be patient :)

As far as informing folks, the release notes went our last week and many who watch those like hawks already knew :)

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm surprised a large change in the content was only mentioned in tribble notes (which aren't on the front page) compared to other changes like the bridge officer icons which did get a front page posting.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    suaveks wrote: »
    Least you could do is turn some of the missions of the current Romulan Arc and turn them into optional Patrols/dailies. Removing content forever like that is just wrong, even more so with the fact that you're showcasing the old stuff.

Meh, I'd rather have a game like STO be able to edit itself (given that we can't just leave bad content behind in the inevitable sequel.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    hey Smirk, I asked a couple of times on the pts thread about the accolades from the missions being removed and if they will also be removed or relocated but either that hasn't been addressed or my questions have been swamped by the usual ohmergawducant posts.

Any word on if the accolades from the removed missions will continue to be obtainable somehow or are these now lost to new players or characters?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    eiledon wrote: »
    hey Smirk, I asked a couple of times on the pts thread about the accolades from the missions being removed and if they will also be removed or relocated but either that hasn't been addressed or my questions have been swamped by the usual ohmergawducant posts.

Any word on if the accolades from the removed missions will continue to be obtainable somehow or are these now lost to new players or characters?

I will have to see if I can get that confirmed either way and alert you to what is going to happen.

The dev team has been really great about porting those over in past remasters, but I cannot guarentee it will or wont happen this time. that is a choice left up to the developers.

If I get an answer though I will share it with the Community!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I'm surprised a large change in the content was only mentioned in tribble notes (which aren't on the front page) compared to other changes like the bridge officer icons which did get a front page posting.

I had to begin this series of broadcasts today, and some of the news hit the Tribble Release notes last week, but we have a blog about the fate of the Romulan missions scheduled for this upcoming Monday! :)

I know the anticipation is killing you, but hang in there and keep your eyes peeled for that blog very soon. All shall be revealed!
  • Options
    karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Join CaptainSmirk for one last run of the Classic Romulan mission, Under the Cover of Night, and find our just how far one rogue operative from the Federation might go to sell Starfleet’s secrets to the Romulans! It’s a race against the clock to find this missing officer, and stop her, before she devastates the security of entire worlds.

The show begins today at 12PM PDT, and the recorded versions will be available to see posted here.

Click this link to be taken to our Twitch Channel.

~CaptainSmirk

Actually quite messed up that you are celebrating taking out content and lots of it. First Delta Rising is nothing more than patrol missions and now you are taking out content from quite possibly the best expansion. I guess that is the pattern, new content is no more, just fluff and patrol missions. I am sure we will be paying more for something else soon.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    karcorner wrote: »
    Actually quite messed up that you are celebrating taking out content and lots of it. First Delta Rising is nothing more than patrol missions and now you are taking out content from quite possibly the best expansion. I guess that is the pattern, new content is no more, just fluff and patrol missions. I am sure we will be paying more for something else soon.

Um, these old missions represent "fluff patrols" far more than what's replacing them. Just look at todays playthrough, kill N squads in space, kill N squads in ground, then kill N squads in space again. Hey, there's some dialog in there somewhere, and way back when that was enough for a good mission, but after having played whats on tribble now there's really not much to complain about (Quality over Quantity.)

Its nice that some service is being paid to the old missions via this livestream (cool way to explore whats there, especially if you breezed by during your own playthroughs) but beyond that nod to the early days of the game I don't think we need to spare any more consideration.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    These old missions should be left in place like the old Patrols were. :|

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I will have to see if I can get that confirmed either way and alert you to what is going to happen.

The dev team has been really great about porting those over in past remasters, but I cannot guarentee it will or wont happen this time. that is a choice left up to the developers.

If I get an answer though I will share it with the Community!

Thanks Captain :D
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Um, these old missions represent "fluff patrols" far more than what's replacing them. Just look at todays playthrough, kill N squads in space, kill N squads in ground, then kill N squads in space again. Hey, there's some dialog in there somewhere, and way back when that was enough for a good mission, but after having played whats on tribble now there's really not much to complain about (Quality over Quantity.)

Its nice that some service is being paid to the old missions via this livestream (cool way to explore whats there, especially if you breezed by during your own playthroughs) but beyond that nod to the early days of the game I don't think we need to spare any more consideration.

I'm glad you advocate the removal of "fluff patrols" from the game. Maybe you'll back me next time I suggest the removal of Delta Quadrant missions that are 5 patrols bundled into one wrapper.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    I'm glad you advocate the removal of "fluff patrols" from the game. Maybe you'll back me next time I suggest the removal of Delta Quadrant missions that are 5 patrols bundled into one wrapper.

Hell no, this is a question of removing 11 fluffy missions in order to make way for 4 replacements that do a better job at the same [generally speaking] function (while incidentally bringing the FED mission progression more in line with the KDF and RR). What I see you and your ilk on about with regard to DR patrols is just removing content [or at least content requirements] for the sake of a simple preference for "not that please."

Are there more narrative driven DR missions on the table? Is there even a question of how the game's functioning? Nope, just the presense or absense of content that (while damn well serving a good narrative function) doesn't suit you.

Your opinion but I'll keep to mine, thank you.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for joining us for today's Livestream!

I will be livestreaming the episode of "Minefield" tomorrow at the same timeslot, and will post in this thread with news and updates from the show.

Plus to add some fun, we will be hosting some Trivia questions on our Twitter and Instagram accounts related to what went on in today's broadcast.

To make sure an include the Forums in this trivia challenge, here is your question!

What crazy thing happened in today's show behind Smirk?

Be the first to correctly answer here for an STO reward!

Answer here if you dare!

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    What crazy thing happened in today's show behind Smirk?

Answer here if you dare!

...This has something to do with the sudden references to cardboard homer doesn't it.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    ...This has something to do with the sudden references to cardboard homer doesn't it.

Close, but no. Although that information is handy...
  • Options
    johnniemesojohnniemeso Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    oh no,

though the stories were a bit silly and sloppily constructed, I will be sad if they are gone :(

remastering means they are just fixing it right? and not deleting them?