test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The forums: The gutter of STO?

18910111214»

Comments

• kittykaboomboomkittykaboomboom Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    you lot do realize that the Blog person is simply someone in the office who got dumped with the job, along with their normal work.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    you lot do realize that the Blog person is simply someone in the office who got dumped with the job, along with their normal work.

Not quite. Producing content is pretty high on the list of duties. This is going by the fact I'm in the process of applying for a similar role myself.

Content creation, which includes the blog, social media channels, promotions and livestreams makes up a decent chunk of the role - it also includes in-game content like flash mobs and parties. Other duties include customer service, chat/forum moderation and maintaining the store.

The job actually sounds great and something I want to get into. I suppose my time spent here wouldn't go to waste either, since I've a pretty good idea of what not to do now when trouble happens ;)

It also leads me to wonder what precisely the PWE version of the role intails.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    O... M... G...

That was so freaking awesome! That is exactly what I, and clearly a LOT of people feel is wrong with this game.

It is, isn't it!

Could not have put it better myself.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    While you are being totally honest, can you totally honestly tell me that this game is actually reaching for the potential it has as THE ONLY Star Trek MMO on the market?

When you think of a Star Trek experience, is what this game offers what comes to mind, or is what comes to mind something more.

Are you honestly happy with the game as it is?

Well?

Well yes, you want to reference Star Trek but I'll give you any sci fi mmo and still say there isn't anything like it. Sci fi, ground and space combat, mmo, f2p....good luck finding something better.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    vestereng wrote: »
    DR also broke the 5 years old premise of the game.

Everything was casual, not least the way in which you could fly any ship and career you wanted using whatever.
    You can still do that. There are difficulty levels. Everything except Battle of Korfez is available on Normal.

Don't play Advanced/Elite if you want to be all casual. It's unreasonable to demand that higher levels should not exist.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Not you cannot still do that.

Before was 1200 dil for playing maps fresh on level 50.

I am not saying you can't have maps for NPCs with more health if that is your thing. I am going to laugh at you and call you names for it, but if you really just want more health for the bots okay fine you can have that.

However, they said new-advanced would be exactly as elite was before.

That means just that, EXACTLY as before. Hands off our dil, don't touch the NPC health, remove the extra borg spawning etc, forced "optional objectives" the list goes on...

But more than anything keeping it casual means everyone plays in case you haven't checked the queues lately.

The concept for half a decade being people want to buy their favorite star trek ship, not necessarily a dps ship, might not be t6 or even all that great in its own right, but allowed because it's star trek fans and not gamers.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    vestereng wrote: »
    That means just that, EXACTLY as before. Hands off our dil, don't touch the NPC health, remove the extra borg spawning etc, forced "optional objectives" the list goes on...
    They did not say exactly.
    Advanced Mode – Formerly Known as Elite

What you used to refer to as Elite in our queued events and STFs is now known as Advanced. In the new Advanced versions of the queues you will see a similar level of challenge in the enemies that you are used to when the queues were labeled Elite. In addition, players with Captains under max level will find themselves bolstered up to level 60, the same level as their opponents. You won’t gain seats or powers you didn’t have, but your damage and other numerical values for your Captain and ship will be scaled up to match what you would do at this higher level.

Advanced does offer some new challenges as well. Many objectives that were optional in Normal mode are now required in Advanced mode. We hope you were paying attention during your playthroughs of Normal before jumping into Advanced. Beginning with the release of Delta Rising, failure to complete these formerly optional objectives will result in the immediate failure of the mission. Upon failure, you will receive a portion of the rewards that you would have received for completing the mission, so you still are rewarded for your time spent in the event

Advanced mode also brings with it one or more new optional objectives as well. This may be an objective to complete the mission in set amount of time, or some other goal that can be achieved. Failure to do these optional mission objectives will simply prevent you from getting the bonus rewards for Advanced mode, and will not result in failure of the mission.

Successfully completing an Advanced version of an event will reward you with even more Marks than Normal as well as Dilithium Ore. In addition, you will receive a package of Advanced Queue R&D materials, with a chance at getting some of the highly sought after Very Rare R&D materials.
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7006643-queue-revamp
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    . . . uh. . . ok. . . WHAT sucks? Without expounding on the issue you are protesting, it comes across as protesting the everything.

That's the point.

STO's very few good points are quickly overshadowed by the bad decisions made in core systems (XP, RNG abuse, balance, to name a few) that majorly impact the game as a whole.

Personally, I think "everything" in this game sucks right now.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They did not say exactly.

Advanced Mode – Formerly Known as Elite

What you used to refer to as Elite in our queued events and STFs is now known as Advanced. In the new Advanced versions of the queues you will see a similar level of challenge in the enemies that you are used to when the queues were labeled Elite.

More enemies at higher HP is not a similar level.
    In addition, players with Captains under max level will find themselves bolstered up to level 60, the same level as their opponents. You won’t gain seats or powers you didn’t have, but your damage and other numerical values for your Captain and ship will be scaled up to match what you would do at this higher level.

Which is a useless gesture seeing as the sidekick system doesn't actually help. This is apparent from watching Borg red alerts and fleet ques.
    Advanced does offer some new challenges as well. Many objectives that were optional in Normal mode are now required in Advanced mode.

Which are usually bugged, make no sense, are arbitrary as heck, and have pretty much killed the ques.
    We hope you were paying attention during your playthroughs of Normal before jumping into Advanced.

Again could see how this was going to end if they payed attention to the actual player base and not the elite DPSer fantasies about the player base.
    Beginning with the release of Delta Rising, failure to complete these formerly optional objectives will result in the immediate failure of the mission. Upon failure, you will receive a portion of the rewards that you would have received for completing the mission, so you still are rewarded for your time spent in the event

Which made them not worth the trouble and mostly abandoned.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    And...you're a toxic player who should be banned. You're gonna call somebody names and laugh at them because they have a playstyle they enjoy that you do not. Yeah...you really need to go away now.

There's no need to be a backseat moderator. This thread, for better or worse has done quite well on the whole, even to the point that Tacofangs posted in it. It might not be much, but if anything proves that good communications CAN happen and CAN work.

I'm not saying I agree with what Vesterang said, but I don't agree with what you said either by saying that Vesterang 'really needs to go away now' or just be outright banned. If you have a problem with a post that you feel might've broken a rule, then report it to one of the mods or Smirk, and move on.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    IMO it doesnt help if DEVs read the forums...whats more important is whether or not feedback is given to management. DEVs and community managers are employees like many of us. Change dont come from the workforce but from management. Brandon (former community manager) used to say that he used to give feedback to upper channels of what was going on the forums.

If you look at history...DStahl (former Executive Producer) used to be attuned to social media participating at forums as well twitter. Not criticizing presently but at least just showing an altermative path that used to work to communicate with playerbase.

The common feeling is that playerbase is being ignored not the fault of DEVs or anyone but just the whole communication system.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Then DON'T. Here's a wild though...don't min max beyond what the content needs and then have fun again. I play pathfinder society...a table top organized game. In that system, I can make characters that are SO broken that I could basically waltz into the most dangerous mission they have and solo it in under 1 hour (average game is 4-5 hours). Nobody who playes with me would have fun. I would not have fun. So you know what I do? I don't make that character. I optimize...but only in so far as I still have fun playing the game. I do the same thing here. I CAN ramp up my DPS to obscene high levels. I have the money for it. I have the know how. But I like crappy rainbow leech boat. I like my cannon fleet ship. They do enough for the content they play in so hey, guess what I'm gonna use these none min maxxed ships that I have fun with.

What an amazing person you must be, in one post you flame another and say they shouldn't tell you how you want to play the game. Then you quote my post and tell me how to play the game your way?

Your way isn't fun to me. I stopped min maxing long ago, but even being slightly efficient in this mess of a combat system isn't fun, the only way to have fun is to go full of idiot.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Game should stay casual because of the customers who already spent money based on that principle bought in.

Game is now running on a false premise of a pure dps wall that costs you 5 million dil.

I don't care for my own sake, I think if they weren't busy rushing everything out they might havce 2 minutes to think about what they are doing at some point.

Dead queues was a part of the master scheme?

There is no reason the game can't have both, you really just the NPCs to have more health just for you, hey no problem, all yours.

But they decided to up the difficulty and down the dil - after they said old elite would stay as advanced, killing it for regular folks...

Of course now they are in a battle with the community over their pride they hoping to silent it all out which of course works double with zero work involved, not even copy-paste.
  • QQ Member Posts: 252
    edited January 2015
    Closing this thread as it has become infested with Flaming/Trolling.
This discussion has been closed.