test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Something's really wrong with the Benthan Assault Cruiser

Comments

• kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Cars are an important part of human society. A video game based on Star Trek is not. It's entertainment.

I think cultural historians and any scholar who values the importance of popular culture would disagree with you. Video games have been a hugely important part of human culture during the last 35 years. They define childhood. They now bridge generational divides in families. They also allow virtual travel as an alternative to physical travel with all of its dangers and environmental effects. They are experiential components of most Western and many non-Western cultures.

You can't dismiss pop culture. Pop culture is mass culture. Mass culture is an incredibly important part of human society.

Anyway, I won't let you operate on my teeth, but feel free to play my foundries.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Anyway, I won't let you operate on my teeth, but feel free to play my foundries.

Teeth grow back if I ever mess up.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    But c okay when it's the playerbase. They're the Real(tm) Star Trek fans.

When Cryptic is guilty of it, they obviously don't pay attention to detail or watch Star Trek.

Morally, they're both just as bad but from a business perspective, when a company does it's worse because they are being paid to do it, the customers are not.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Maybe who ever applied the model to the ship, was listening to Star Trekking a little too much...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

edited December 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Maybe who ever applied the model to the ship, was listening to Star Trekking a little too much...

But this ship finds the reverse with default comfort. That seems to be the opposite of that song.

Still, shoot to kill, shoot to kill...

That is consistent with STO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't think there is, personally. If it's an easily forgettable ship (even as a lockbox ship), then I really can't fault them for not paying attention.

I hold them to the same kind of standard I hold other players. If the players have to actually go back with a fine-toothed comb to nitpick? Sure, report it and maybe get it altered.

But to expect Cryptic to pay attention when everybody else didn't (up until now) is hypocrisy. Even if it's a lockbox ship.

Really wasn't nitpicking, or going over anything Cryptic related with a fine toothed comb.

Just watching some Voyager episodes during some unexpected downtime. Discovered that the ship in game, (that I own btw) flies backwards and pointed it out.

At no point did I say that Cryptic doesn't know their TRIBBLE from their elbow.

Don't wanna turn this into another "Poor Cryptic's gettin picked on again." situation, because it's not.
    But with a lockbox ship flyin TRIBBLE backwards, they could expect a little Good-natured ribbin. It's actually kinda funny.

I'm hoping they will see the difference between this and a flame post. Unless they are that uptight that they don't like their mistakes pointed out to them.

Not every post requires the activation of the defense force.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I too hope cryptic sees this thread as humorous and not an attack.
  • jjdezjjdez Member Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Thank goodness I unlocked "Back Her Off!" in my Pilot specialization tree!
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't think there is, personally. If it's an easily forgettable ship (even as a lockbox ship), then I really can't fault them for not paying attention.

I hold them to the same kind of standard I hold other players. If the players have to actually go back with a fine-toothed comb to nitpick? Sure, report it and maybe get it altered.

But to expect Cryptic to pay attention when everybody else didn't (up until now) is hypocrisy. Even if it's a lockbox ship.

That's amusing. I wouldn't ever hold a dev to the same as a player. Especially a dev team that barely plays the game (except Taco, he's cool). Their job is to create items and get them working ingame, our job is to have fun playing it resulting in their financial improvement.

Using us as beta testers the entire time is pretty unprofessional but for it to be us to pick up a fault like a ship that's going backwards (even if forgettable) is pretty poor QA. TBH it's not hard to give the material from Voyager about the Benthan ships a once over to check it's all good, something that obviously didn't happen...

I don't expect them to be miracle workers, but I do expect a minimum level of professionalism. Something that is frequently lacking.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • nobscunobscu Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    From the intelligence report.
    Do not, however, assume their guarded civilization makes them backward.

Yeah, about that ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    nobscu wrote: »

Yeah, about that ...

Obviously the devs knew about the Benthan ship being backwards and are laughing that it took us this long to realize it.
    edited December 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Obviously the devs knew about the Benthan ship being backwards and are laughing that it took us this long to realize it.

Not sure that is obvious. This part is just a sweet bonus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2014

?!?

This is not some indie studio. Having the ship backward is a simply put embarrassing display of poor quality work. Nothing more, nothing less.

(honestly I personally don't really care, but to marginalize such a basic error :rolleyes:)
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited December 2014
    nobscu wrote: »

Yeah, about that ...

lol! noticed something else. in vis a vis they home planet of the Benthans is Bentha. that blog says Benthos.
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lol! noticed something else. in vis a vis they home planet of the Benthans is Bentha. that blog says Benthos.

It's things like this that make me think the players need to go through every little detail in STO and post a massive list of corrections along with submitting them to CBS to ensure it happens faster than the current turnaround time for most things that have yet to be fixed. :P
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
    edited December 2014

Anyone know if Benthos and Diet Coke make the bottle implode into subspace?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jjdez wrote: »
    Thank goodness I unlocked "Back Her Off!" in my Pilot specialization tree!

lolz! hahhahahahahaha !
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    We've gotten the model's orientation backwards.

What we know of as the front, is really supposed to be the back....

Was watchin Vis a' Vis the episode that featured the model.

See for yourself go to time stamps: 28:53 and 29:33

http://youtu.be/Y_71cytGRjE

You are correct. The Benthan ships didn't sit right with me ever since I've seen them in the game. They seemed wrong somehow but I couldn't put my finger on it. I just chalked up to my own bias.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Not saying it isn't a possible oversight, but it was apparently an oversight that nobody paid attention to up until now. Clearly, it was not that noticable.

We aren't the ones creating the game. Not many of us rewatched voyager more then once. I wouldn't guess anyone would remember a ship that shows up 2-3 times for 2-6s at most on screen.

Its not hypocrisy to point out that people making money of the recreation of such ships in a game should have at least watched the few seconds of screen time the ship got.

To be honest a mistake like this makes me doubt they even work off stills. As in any of the stills it would have been just as obvious which was was forward... or at the very least left it unclear in which case anyone doing there job would have found a clip. lol

I'm sure the beathen is one of the lightwave models they have recieved from CBS. They just copied the file and perhaps updated a few things on it here and there... its cool that they are reusing the models from the show... its not cool that there so lazy as to not have even looked at how they where used on the show.

Anyway this thread has given me a good chuckle... I can now close the STO forums for another week or so while I play more fun games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    All I can say is wow.............. and I thought I was anal-retentive
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    wildweasal wrote: »
    All I can say is wow.............. and I thought I was anal-retentive

never underestimate star trek fans. the only reason star trek isn't classified as a religion in most counties is none of them agree on anything. :P

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    never underestimate star trek fans. the only reason star trek isn't classified as a religion in most counties is none of them agree on anything. :P

What surprises me is that it took us this long for this to be found out.
  • kalder77kalder77 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Just to help cryptic....maybe they dont have access to youtube...

So...the ship come to you. you can perfectly see where the head and a** are !

too lazy to add in game benthan pic with same angle but feel free to modify to better help Cryptic.

Thanx you everyone....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Badaboom
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hmph. It'd been years since I watched Voyager, and I haven't flown a Benthan Assault Cruiser myself, but I suppose it would make sense that the blue balls would be below and behind the main fuselage. Is there a Voyager Technical Readout or somesuch that clarifies why the Benthan craft have blue balls and what purpose they serve? At a guess, it looks like they were intended to be the equivalent of more conventional nacelles on other Star Trek starships...
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    After watching this episode again we might have never seen how a real Benthan looked like.
    It was never made clear whether it was Steth or Daelen who was a Benthan, or if neither or even both of them were.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Benthan
    Bridger.png
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Actually the 5 view from Drex Files on that site shows pretty clearly where the Impulse engines are (yellow blobs at the back).
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    Perhaps the devs did it on purpose. Keep you guys on your toes.

My money is on a graphical error, similar to a reporting bug.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif