test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Elite Dangerous coming soon. What is Cryptic doing to keep players at STO???

Comments

• crowley875crowley875 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    And as for 400 billion star systems...yeah, right. More like 5 or 6 missions with different art, over and over and freaking over.

No, thanks. I'll stick with STO, despite its issues.

Just this.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I love Star Trek (I know, *that* is like screaming "MOVIE!" in a crowded theater). But how much has my Phantom still to do with Trek any more?! I mean, if another PvE space game came along, offered similar functionality, player housing, etc, and all sans Geko, who knows?!

If you watched TOS only and encountered TNG the first time -what does Picard's Galaxy have to do with Star Trek?
    If you haven't watched DS9 before, what does DEep Space Nine and the Defiant have to do with Star Trek, and what's up with this weird changelings and reptilian warriors?

Star Trek Online is not just Star Trek "as it always used to be" - it starts with the basis and expands from there. It's not the definite expansion and continuation - just one, and maybe not the best one could imagine - but it's the one we have. Where there's actually a place for Captain meimeitoo and his crew, because there wasn't a Captain meimeitoo on any Enterprise or Deep Space Nine.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • banmefgtbanmefgt Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
    edited December 2014
    jornado wrote: »
    Yeah, I started playing some of the old DOS Trek games again recently for that very reason.

It's actually silly when you think about it, that a near 20 year old game like ST:25th can do better Trek with completely outdated everything than a game with the full weight of 21st century technology can. Come to think of it, I don't think there has been a really authentic Trek game since Final Unity came out.
    ST:25th was not a sandbox game. It was an awesome adventure game.

Sure, you could fly anywhere and provoke a fight with Romulans, Klingons or Pirates - but there was no exploration other than the one that was scripted.

And that is why it worked so well as a Star Trek game. You experienced real stories, like you were accustomed to from the franchise.

While the Star Trek backdrop may be a sandbox exploration for the characters of the show, for the audience and the fans, it is experiencing a particular story line with moral and ethical dilemmas or just bog-standard conflicts.

If you wanted to make a sandbox game that felt like Star Trek, you would IMO have stuff like Q messing with you occassionally, finding an Earth-Like planet that went wrong somewhere and you have to figure out how you can fix it (with or without breaking the Prime Directive) - spontaneously, nothing can repeat itself. There is only one planet that based its society on a bad novel. Only one omniotent being will muck with your time stream to teach you a lesson about an action from your Academy time you regretted.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • curedmencuredmen Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Last chance to pre-order at special price
    Elite: Dangerous - Mercenary Edition

Released December 16th

https://store.elitedangerous.com/eur/

400 Billion Star Systems. Infinite Freedom. Blaze Your Own Trail

Take control of your own starship in a cutthroat galaxy.

In the year 3300, across the vast expanse of an epic, full-scale recreation of our Milky Way, interstellar rivalries flare as galactic superpowers fight proxy wars.

Some may know you as an ally; others will call you a pirate, a bounty hunter, a smuggler, an explorer, an assassin, a hero... Fly alone or with friends, fight for a cause or go it alone; your actions change the galaxy around you in an ever unfolding story.

Start with a small starship and a few credits, and do whatever it takes to get the skill, knowledge, wealth and power to stand among the ranks of the Elite.
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    atlantra wrote: »
    After 10 minutes of that video they won me over already. Sorry STO. I wanna play Elite dangerous!

It's like 'Freelancer' times 1 trillion! Ohhh man So awesome! I'm throwing money at the screen!! Elite is what STO should have been in terms of exploration. Wow, just wow. Going to watch the rest of that video now. :D

Its made by the same guy as Freelancer and Starlancer, Chris Roberts.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,434 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    hojain2020 wrote: »
    I pasted a star trek logo on the top of my screen and now play ED. Less gambling more fun. And all for 5000 zen or 25 r and d packs ;-)
    You no longer play STO at all? Then why in the name of the Great Bird are you wasting your time here? Go play your deep-space trading/shooting sim. Enjoy yourself. I promise not to come into any online forums ED has and tell you how stupid you are for liking something I don't, okay?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    zipagat wrote: »
    Its made by the same guy as Freelancer and Starlancer, Chris Roberts.

Unless Chris has jumped ship then he is doing Star Citizen, it's David Braben that's in charge of Elite Dangerous.

ED is just Elite Frontier redone with todays tech, there's a few new gimmicks but it's pretty much the same game play.

Fun part will be when the gankers and griefers get in game, if you risk not having insurance then chances are you will be flying a sidewinder with little money when they get you.
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    You no longer play STO at all? Then why in the name of the Great Bird are you wasting your time here? Go play your deep-space trading/shooting sim. Enjoy yourself. I promise not to come into any online forums ED has and tell you how stupid you are for liking something I don't, okay?

And why may I ask aren't you grinding Argala like a true believer?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • bobosmrade1bobosmrade1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    its not a doom post,its a cryptic wake up post

Its a doom post.
    Cave Troll vs Forum troll
    Know the difference
    It could save your life...
    rushatsi wrote: »
    pvp? whats dat?
    Pervert vs. Pervert!:eek:
    edited December 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

Whats with the hostile attitude granpa? Game is due to lauch 16th December, in two days. Your welcome to ED:s forums, stay as long as you want. :D

Do remember to market STO in there aswell, mkay?
  • defcon1776defcon1776 Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Looking over the Elite Dangerous, it looks interesting. However, what I noticed that was glaringly absent from STO is merchandising. STO hats, STO wearables (maybe even high tech), heck even mousepads. :cool:

Edit: I would buy a hat and tshirt and possibly a hoodie!
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." Q
    Join the 44th Fleet. [FED and KDF] Apply Online: startrek.44thfleet.com
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    curedmen wrote: »
    Whats with the hostile attitude granpa? Game is due to lauch 16th December, in two days. Your welcome to ED:s forums, stay as long as you want. :D

Do remember to market STO in there aswell, mkay?

Well as much as I am annoyed with Cryptic I have to say I can't blame some of these folk from not wanting to play ED just to annoy you. lol

Seriously though ED has a LONG way to go before its the same caliber as what is already out there.

When you get sick of trading fish... come on over to EvE... Eden is waiting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
    edited December 2014
    Well as much as I am annoyed with Cryptic I have to say I can't blame some of these folk from not wanting to play ED just to annoy you. lol

Seriously though ED has a LONG way to go before its the same caliber as what is already out there.

When you get sick of trading fish... come on over to EvE... Eden is waiting.

Intresting, there is nothing to annoy me on this thread. Lol
    and i do love fish a lot. I might even try EVE at some point, now that i have ordered new joystick, computerchair and decent table just to play ED. :D
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If you watched TOS only and encountered TNG the first time -what does Picard's Galaxy have to do with Star Trek?
    If you haven't watched DS9 before, what does DEep Space Nine and the Defiant have to do with Star Trek, and what's up with this weird changelings and reptilian warriors?

Star Trek Online is not just Star Trek "as it always used to be" - it starts with the basis and expands from there. It's not the definite expansion and continuation - just one, and maybe not the best one could imagine - but it's the one we have. Where there's actually a place for Captain meimeitoo and his crew, because there wasn't a Captain meimeitoo on any Enterprise or Deep Space Nine.

You're kidding, right?! The Galaxy class flagship from TNG is only one of the most iconian Trek ships ever!

As for the rest, all these shows offered different things/ships, yes. And heretofore Cryptic based its ships on those canon models. They seem to be heading towards a more 'fantasy' model ship line now, though (for one, because they're rapidly running out of canon ships, I reckon). I'm not saying that is bad; or that I even dislike it. But my point is, when a game develops towards non-Trek, other non-Trek games could more easily take its place, is all.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited December 2014
    and i do love fish a lot. I might even try EVE at some point, now that i have ordered new joystick, computerchair and decent table just to play ED. :D

That's cool the sim stuff sounds like fun.

I hope ED does really well... if like most online games it flounders for the first year or so.

Jan 13 is the next Eve Expansion... Followed by Feb 17... and then March 24... and then April 28th....

Well you get the idea. Once you play a game run by proper developers its hard to turn back. To early to know how Braben and the gang will do... its there first online mmo style game. I do hope they offer a great game... it will keep CCP on there toes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That's cool the sim stuff sounds like fun.

I hope ED does really well... if like most online games it flounders for the first year or so.

Jan 13 is the next Eve Expansion... Followed by Feb 17... and then March 24... and then April 28th....

Well you get the idea. Once you play a game run by proper developers its hard to turn back. To early to know how Braben and the gang will do... its there first online mmo style game. I do hope they offer a great game... it will keep CCP on there toes.
    You guys should keep your Eve versus ED fight on the Eve or ED forum. It has nothing to do with STO. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    You guys should keep your Eve versus ED fight on the Eve or ED forum. It has nothing to do with STO. :)

Sadly. Cryptic/STO put the game in such a sad state. That I'm willing to bet more then EVE and ED will be talked about on the forums.

Basically, it's STO players talking to each other about a better alternative. If anything it should be a warning to Cryptic, to wake the hell up.
    edited December 2014

Wheres the fight granpa? Maybe you should go and buy new glasses and then come back to forums.
    edited December 2014

Sure it does... anyone reading this that likes game play more then role play should be interested in both. Or pretty much any other game online right now.

Rift / Archage / GW2 / EvE / POE / Heck even EA with TOR

All examples of better game play and better run MMOs. ;) Hey I didn't start the thread. Like someone said earlier where all in the same fire and "Theater!!!" I'm sure most players have at least one of the above also installed and I'm sure there is a handful of other good examples. I think where all spending more and more time over there rather then here in general.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2014
    You're kidding, right?! The Galaxy class flagship from TNG is only one of the most iconian Trek ships ever!

As for the rest, all these shows offered different things/ships, yes. And heretofore Cryptic based its ships on those canon models. They seem to be heading towards a more 'fantasy' model ship line now, though (for one, because they're rapidly running out of canon ships, I reckon). I'm not saying that is bad; or that I even dislike it. But my point is, when a game develops towards non-Trek, other non-Trek games could more easily take its place, is all.
    I believe his point was that CBS did not stop with TOS. They kept advancing their IP even if the loyal fans did not initially understand why they would do that. TOS had the Connie, and refit Connie, and all those movies yet CBS decided to go with TNG and a non-Connie-looking Galaxy Class - and there was a lot of backlash about the Galaxy on the BBSs when it first aired. And later in another direction with DS9 and Voyager.

Whether you like Cryptic's designs or not they are just doing exactly what CBS does: inventing new IP to try and find new ways to make money. That is what CBS does with every single license they sell to someone. That is what they are doing with STO, and what they are going to be doing with Timelines and Alien Domain.

At the end of the day it is some of the fans who are too set in their ways to accept that CBS has been adding and changing its IP through 5 decades, 6 TV shows, many movies, and hundreds of novels, comics, and games.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014

They weren't kidding. There were epic fights between Trekkies and Trekkers. Same happened when other series came out. Look at the JJ stuff. It's no different with STO than it has been with any of it in the past.
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I preordered this game the other day and am really enjoying just the combat tutorial, plus it will have voice attack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlU8abkdJU0

What STO player wouldn't love to tell the computer what to do or even ask it questions? It's an absolutely epic feature.

ED game harkens back to the good old days of space flight sims. In some ways it's a lot more detailed than a game like STO can ever be, and in other ways it's nowhere near as detailed. I personally love space flight sims and wish STO was developed like ED but the two games are completely different and there's no comparing them.

But yeah come Tuesday (or Wednesday depending on launch day issues) I'll be getting my federation rep up and attempting to get to Sol. I just have to find a good boom mic to pair with my sennheisers.

There's nothing wrong with playing multiple games, and STO has nothing to worry about from ED. They're nothing alike. I play quite a few games: STO, Civilization 4 and 5, Crusader Kings 2, Path Of Exile, Mount and Blade Warband, Rome Total War, Medieval 2 Total War and many others. I'm adding ED to the list come Tuesday and naturally it will consume the majority of my game time because it's new.

STO has to worry more about it's own dumb decisions than new space flight sims.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    Elite Dangerous coming soon. What is Cryptic doing to keep players at STO???.

Having playable Starcruisers/Capital Ships instead of flying coffins... Oh, and you don't need to rebuy them when you got ganked by other players. And you don't get ganked by other players.

But to prevent the later you can switch to single player mode AFAIK.
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Still a beta work-in-progress (not finished yet) game, but looks very good so far. Seems very expensive to play too. There are no safety measures in place either like STO has. Youtube video tells it like it is. I like at STO is setup. True the Game Engine here needs to be updated to compete with these newer higher tech games. But those are not Star Trek base.

Star Chart always seems to be the same in those types of game like it based on X/Y line pattern. I like the way STO is setup on the MAP makes it easier to navigate to their approach.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
    edited December 2014
    coolheadal wrote: »
    Still a beta work-in-progress (not finished yet) game, but looks very good so far. Seems very expensive to play too. There are no safety measures in place either like STO has. Youtube video tells it like it is. I like at STO is setup. True the Game Engine here needs to be updated to compete with these newer higher tech games. But those are not Star Trek base.

Star Chart always seems to be the same in those types of game like it based on X/Y line pattern. I like the way STO is setup on the MAP makes it easier to navigate to their approach.

What? you navigate in STO? BWAHAHAHAHA, i hope it was a joke! LOL:D
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I might play it if its F2P. However I will more likely need a new computer as well, since mine is several years old.

Lastly its not Star Trek, so I will keep playing this game. As I still love and enjoy it. Granted it has some issues, but what game don't.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    edited December 2014
    farmallm wrote: »
    I might play it if its F2P. However I will more likely need a new computer as well, since mine is several years old.

Lastly its not Star Trek, so I will keep playing this game. As I still love and enjoy it. Granted it has some issues, but what game don't.
    It is like GW2: buy the box to play and then use the MT Store for other purchases.

The System Requirements are 2.0 gig Quad Core, 2 gigs Ram, Direct X 11, and GTX 260/ATI 4870 card.
  • otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Having tried the combat demo of ED, I generally like it. Nice graphics, very good sound effects, nice music.

The learning curve is high thou. Takes quite some tweaking to get the controls set just so.
    Takes a lot getting back to the dogfighting ways from the good old days of X-Wing and TIE Fighter games, but getting there slowly.

Being so used to the way ships handle here on STO is very different to how ships handle in ED. In STO there is no dogfighting, but in ED, there sure is a lot of that, looping in behind your target, makeing sure the shots hit, avoid asteroids and so on.

Will ED be a contender for STO?

Hard to say really, since ED seems to be more of a space combat simulator, whereas STO is not.
    I would say that ED is an indirect competitor, the only thing that ties STO and ED is that both are space based games...
    edited December 2014
    You mean iconic. :p

And yes, of course. Unless it where the 80s again and you were a big TOS fan. And then someone says there is a new Star Trek show, and you get to see the Galaxy Class starship for the first time and see a bald Captain and the only guy from the old cast is ancient and only a guest star that talks with an Android that for some reason has pale-white skin unlike all the Androids in the original show. :p
    I think "non-Trek" is an argument for something like an Elachi ship, but not something that looks like an oversized flat Defiant or a Prometheus continuation. It just cannot hide it's Trek heritage.
This discussion has been closed.