test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Elite Dangerous coming soon. What is Cryptic doing to keep players at STO???

Comments

• jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I'm just gonna Copy Paste

Honestly, I always felt that any sandbox space sim is closer to Trek than STO is.

Heck, even a space based 4x game like SE5 with some Trek mods running is more Trek than STO is.

The only thing those games are not is character based RPGs - and honestly, since everyone is the same rank, everyone does the same exact TRIBBLE, half the population picks the same damn accolades to display, and even the smallest bit of sandbox that we really had (exploration, yes it sucked, but at least it was lipservice) is gone, any game whatsoever that allows you to make your own choices in any way shape or form, and is set in space, is more Trek than STO, in everything but the paintjob, and phoned in voiceovers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I would guess that most of the religous STO players arent twitch gamers. ED is an FPS with full 3D movement and aiming, while STO target player gets lost in an exploration nebula.

But most isn't all, and there are a lot of twitch-capable players here because of few alternatives. There is going to be a noticeable decline, no doubt about it. I can say that because there has already been a decline even without ED, steamcharts tell the story there, and it is going to accelerate when there is a decent alternative. Think the queues are bad now, just wait.

ps--It's too late for Cryptic to do anything about it, when they think they already did something with Delta Quadrant and Neelix.

Keep guessing.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jornado wrote: »
    Honestly, I always felt that any sandbox space sim is closer to Trek than STO is.

Heck, even a space based 4x game like SE5 with some Trek mods running is more Trek than STO is.

The only thing those games are not is character based RPGs - and honestly, since everyone is the same rank, everyone does the same exact TRIBBLE, half the population picks the same damn accolades to display, and even the smallest bit of sandbox that we really had (exploration, yes it sucked, but at least it was lipservice) is gone, any game whatsoever that allows you to make your own choices in any way shape or form, and is set in space, is more Trek than STO, in everything but the paintjob, and phoned in voiceovers.

But STO is not trying to be a Space Sim, so comparing it to one is pointless, that's like me saying Super Mario does not feel like Call Of Duty, because Mario is not trying to be a FPS
    GwaoHAD.png
  • tigerblade99tigerblade99 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited December 2014

The next time I die in Eve I'm going to have CCP do my "Video Eulogy". Those guys make very aspiring videos. :D
    edited December 2014
    But STO is not trying to be a Space Sim, so comparing it to one is pointless, that's like me saying Super Mario does not feel like Call Of Duty, because Mario is not trying to be a FPS

Replying to your original self-quote I got a bit turned around since you sort of do a flip flop between the first paragraph and the rest.

I was replying to the first paragraph which simply states that you don't see any Trek in it, not your paragraph on genres, which actually seems at odds with the first point you make.

Sorry for the confusion.

Edit: And then you go to cite a linear story shooter as a point of reference, bringing you back to your first paragraph but completely ignoring your "different genre" point - hence why it was difficult for me to form a cogent reply. That post is all over the place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think this is a better trailer as it's all ingame and show exactly what the tension and concept can provide for the player :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaLJTGHkj8
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Thinking that the arrival of a new game is going to somehow suddenly spur Cryptic into action when everything that is going on here is having little effect is certainly wishful thinking.
    Elite Dangerous is an open world simulator sandbox with a heavy emphasis on trading. Since it isn't story driven, it's a different kind of game from STO, some people will be interested, some won't, but since it doesn't have a Star Trek theme, ED will have no impact of any great significance, it will be a distraction not a substitute.
    Elite Dangerous certainly looks interesting but it remains to be seen whether there are any safeguards to prevent its PvP aspect from turning it into a griefer's paradise. While the majority of PVPers are honorable decent people who want games to be enjoyable for everyone, there will always be those who find their game most enjoyable when they know they are ruining someone else's enjoyment and if ED provides too much accessibility for this kind of behavior it may ultimately have limited popularity.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    its not a doom post,its a cryptic wake up post

No, pretty sure it's a doom post...
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
    edited December 2014
    Replying to your original self-quote I got a bit turned around since you sort of do a flip flop between the first paragraph and the rest.

I was replying to the first paragraph which simply states that you don't see any Trek in it, not your paragraph on genres, which actually seems at odds with the first point you make.

Sorry for the confusion.

Edit: And then you go to cite a linear story shooter as a point of reference, bringing you back to your first paragraph but completely ignoring your "different genre" point - hence why it was difficult for me to form a cogent reply. That post is all over the place.

Yeah, its from another thread so kinda makes no sense..

Let's start over, hi my name is NeoakiraII and I worship Gul Dukat
    GwaoHAD.png
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah ... sorry they don't even know/care what's going on in their own game ("Queues are not empty, it's a bug") ... why would they care about another game :P ...

Everything is awesome, just sit back, relax and enjoy smelling your own farts ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, its from another thread so kinda makes no sense..

Let's start over, hi my name is NeoakiraII and I worship Gul Dukat

Hi, my name is Jornado, and I can totally understand your worship of the Legate.

I do not dispute that they are fundamentally different games with different target audiences, albeit with at least some overlap.

I merely posit that I find more Trek in almost any sandbox type space game that I currently see in STO, and completely understand if your opinion differs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The problem with this idea is that the Star Trek universe isn't empty. Sandbox only works well when the universe starts out empty.
    It's flattering that you appreciate my work. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    rsoblivion wrote: »
    I think this is a better trailer as it's all ingame and show exactly what the tension and concept can provide for the player :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaLJTGHkj8

That was scray. All that for some darn liquor? LOL. Not worth the risk... Fun, but very insane.
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    are you trying to say you've worked on trek mods for whatever SE5 is?

what is it, anyway?
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited December 2014

Which are yours, if you don't mind me asking?

Keep in mind I still prefer SE4 most of the time - less buggy on my tablet - despite the less glamorous tactical combat.

Edit: Is the Steam version the same as the original retail all patched up? As in, does it crash as much randomly?

what is it, anyway?

Space Empires 5. 4x game, think Civilization in space, but with a lot more depth to delve into. Civ 5 make take you 40 hours for a game, I think I've put over a hundred into a few SE games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hi, my name is Jornado, and I can totally understand your worship of the Legate.

I do not dispute that they are fundamentally different games with different target audiences, albeit with at least some overlap.

I merely posit that I find more Trek in almost any sandbox type space game that I currently see in STO, and completely understand if your opinion differs.
    There is that, if you really want the feeling of exploration and just going out there into the Galaxy, STO isn't the game for it. I follow the Scott Manley youtube videos, the guy's an astronomer as well as a gamer so he gets right into it and seeing the game in his videos it does look pretty impressive.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited December 2014

My thing with sandbox space games is they feel like any generic Sci Fi game, it needs more for me to feel trek, Trek has some unique things other IP's don't have.

STO lacks one major thing which is why I used ME in that post because I can make choices that affect my Crew, and story, where in STO it does not matter the out come is always the same

It would be nice if I made a choice and lost a BO....or I made a choice and punched the Gorn ambassador in DS9 dominion story, then later in the Dyson story he remembers, and punches me back to be even.

At least STO is trying now compared to when it first came out.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Picked ED over the gambling not looking back. To scratch my gamble itch i just check my local races bookie lol.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
    edited December 2014

STO lacks one major thing which is why I used ME in that post because I can make choices that affect my Crew, and story, where in STO it does not matter the out come is always the same

Yeah, I started playing some of the old DOS Trek games again recently for that very reason.

It's actually silly when you think about it, that a near 20 year old game like ST:25th can do better Trek with completely outdated everything than a game with the full weight of 21st century technology can. Come to think of it, I don't think there has been a really authentic Trek game since Final Unity came out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, I started playing some of the old DOS Trek games again recently for that very reason.

It's actually silly when you think about it, that a near 20 year old game like ST:25th can do better Trek with completely outdated everything than a game with the full weight of 21st century technology can. Come to think of it, I don't think there has been a really authentic Trek game since Final Unity came out.

Don't even get me started on that.

I remember when I was a kid playing TNG game on Sega Genesis, and was like this is awesome, now I wonder how that game would be with today's technology

I miss the 90's sometimes
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited December 2014
    Don't even get me started on that.

I renumber when I was a kid playing TNG game on Sega Genesis, and was like this is awesome, now I wonder how that game would be with today's technology

Ever played Final Unity? It's worth getting a copy somewhere if you haven't - IIRC it might even be on some abandonware sites.

Not only is the story awesome, it has all the TNG main cast, and you can actually resolve the whole game non-violently if you try.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2014
    Ever played Final Unity? It's worth getting a copy somewhere if you haven't - IIRC it might even be on some abandonware sites.

Not only is the story awesome, it has all the TNG main cast, and you can actually resolve the whole game non-violently if you try.

Yeah, which makes me wonder how a Telltale Star Trek game would be now :eek:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Which are yours, if you don't mind me asking?

Keep in mind I still prefer SE4 most of the time - less buggy on my tablet - despite the less glamorous tactical combat.

Edit: Is the Steam version the same as the original retail all patched up? As in, does it crash as much randomly?

Space Empires 5. 4x game, think Civilization in space, but with a lot more depth to delve into. Civ 5 make take you 40 hours for a game, I think I've put over a hundred into a few SE games.

what is it, anyway?
    1: what Jornado said.
    2: it's an empire level strategy game, you take on the role of emperor/president-for-life or whatever and manage however many planets and fleets you have.

3: the most recent patch for SE5 is 1.79. I'm not sure if that's on Steam since I don't use Steam.

4: I've written a few mods for SE5, but the most time consuming one has been version 2 of Warp 10. (version 1 was written by a fellow named Ekolis, and part of why he gave up on the idea was that he realized it was horribly balanced. I started over from scratch instead of trying to "fix everything".) Anyways, it has a bunch of races from the TV show and versions of their ships. I didn't create the shipsets, though I did modify them somewhat.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited December 2014
    4: I've written a few mods for SE5, but the most time consuming one has been version 2 of Warp 10. (version 1 was written by a fellow named Ekolis, and part of why he gave up on the idea was that he realized it was horribly balanced. I started over from scratch instead of trying to "fix everything".) Anyways, it has a bunch of races from the TV show and versions of their ships. I didn't create the shipsets, though I did modify them somewhat.

I'll have to give it a whirl - I typically have just used the ship sets and customized the tech trees and AI to run Trek SE5, and having less work to do to set up each game would be nice - although sometimes half the fun is in the setup....

And, totally nerdtastic of me, but I've added the Empire from Star Wars as AI into a few games - when it's down to my allies and me in a defensive war against the Empire and the Borg who are also bashing each others brains out, it's just pure joy in my eyes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I assume it is due to back then, video games had to rely on story far more than graphics and gameplay. After all, look at the first RPG games. Completely text based with zero graphics. It is likely a lot of the same people that were writing good text games also wrote the story for early generation rpg games with graphics. Now a lot of the games today are all style and no substance. There are some exceptions like Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect, but the majority are all about style.
    edited December 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    I assume it is due to back then, video games had to rely on story far more than graphics and gameplay. After all, look at the first RPG games. Completely text based with zero graphics. It is likely a lot of the same people that were writing good text games also wrote the story for early generation rpg games with graphics. Now a lot of the games today are all style and no substance. There are some exceptions like Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect, but the majority are all about style.

I'd even argue that all three of those franchises have started to value style over substance recently as well, with the latest Dragon Age being a notable exception.
    Yeah, which makes me wonder how a Telltale Star Trek game would be now :eek:

And yeah, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Telltale is the only company that I am aware of that I would trust with the Trek license in a big way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Cryptic is not going to do anything - which is the same thing they did when GW2 came out, and SWTOR before that

Interesting that you should mention SWTOR , as DR reeks form it ... , at the expense of quantity of missions .

18 in DR vs nearly 50 in LoR ... .

... at least for those of us who don't swallow Cryptic's "new standards" jive ...

As to what I expect Cryptic to do about it ... , well at one point I fully expect them to take another look at the Genesis engine -- that is if perpetual progression is going to become the new fad .
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I certainly am going to get Elite Dangerous. The fixes by Cryptic are kinda disappointing. They end up break things even more. Just see the Tide of Ice accolade.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I pasted a star trek logo on the top of my screen and now play ED. Less gambling more fun. And all for 5000 zen or 25 r and d packs ;-)
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'd even argue that all three of those franchises have started to value style over substance recently as well, with the latest Dragon Age being a notable exception.

I would say that Dragon Age: Inquisition is a transition towards more games having style and substance. Video game players are getting older and style is no longer a reason to get a game. We have gotten to the point where games are too realistic so players are no longer blown away by the amazing graphics or jiggle physics that a game has. Therefore for a game to be successful in the next few years, it has to have a decent story or some interesting gimmick.
This discussion has been closed.