test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Elite Dangerous coming soon. What is Cryptic doing to keep players at STO???

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    Does everyone remember all the hype for Star Citizen? That was an epic flop.
    I do not believe you mean Star Citizen. That game does not even come out until next fall - assuming it is not pushed back even further; as it was originally coming out in the spring of 2015.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Neat videos. The abridged one was funny.

But ... it's just not "Star Trek". And for what STO is as a game ... it's more Star Trek than the videos posted are showing me.

Besides, I think my video card would commit seppuku, then explode, causing a tornado fire in my PC case if I tried to play ED, so I'll stick with what I have :P

Good luck to everyone playing ED. Have fun :)

I agree actually, and completely. It's not the MMO Trek fans want or need. STO is the MMO for Trek fans. As much as I feel is wrong with it, the only reason I even care there are things wrong is because it's a Trek themed MMO. If it were generic space MMO 1.0, I wouldn't give a hot pile of donkey droppings what happened to it. I'd have packed up and left, forums and all.

As to the graphics though - they look good, but not terribly intensive to be honest - if your PC can handle the un-optimized cesspool that is STO's graphics engine, it can probably handle ED with ease. STO's engine can bring dual 980s to their knees in some situations. Almost nothing else out there can do that at sub-4k resolutions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    immudzenimmudzen Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    In the end I won't switch to Elite for the same reason I did not switch to EVE. I HATE forced PvP. I play games to relax. If I want to be mentally challenged I could have just stayed at work and kept working on hard math problems. I don't find PvP relaxing in any way at all. I tried EVE for a little bit and even in high sector space there where people that would suicide kill newbies. Sure concord would show up and blow them up but that did me no good at all.

From what I can see even if you set the slider in elite all the way to the PVE side you can STILL be attacked and killed by other players. I am interested in a PVE space game and right now STO seems to be about the best option for that. Sure there are lots of features I would like STO to add but the alternatives are just not competitors for me at least.

Nothing Elite or EVE does makes it a competitor to STO for me unless they had a PVP off button. PVP in most MMOs just does not work. The classes are just not balanced to fight against each other and PVP ends up being dead fairly quickly. if you make a PVP focused game then you don't have that issue but then you also drive away PVE people who don't like the entire PVP culture.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Didn't I see this exact thread yesterday?

Why, yes, I did. Fancy that.

These are drastically different styles of games catering to different tastes, and STO still has the weight of the actual Star Trek IP. Cryptic doesn't need to do a damn thing. The folks who actually do potentially need to be worried are CCP and Egosoft, not Cryptic.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    I don't think most of you doomsayers really get it. Most of the players on STO aren't here because its a space Sim. They're here because its Star Trek. Where else can you not only take command of one of your favorite ships from the show, but customize it as well? Where else are you gonna face down Klingon birds of prey and romulan warbirds? Hell, you can even recreate some of the most epic Trek battles with the Foundry. Somehow, I doubt any of the previously mentioned games can even offer that.

That is pretty much it.

There is not point in Gamers trying to convince the Trek Role players that there are better games out there.

There has always been better games out there. Eve is so much better then STO its sad.

Bottom line the RP crowd is the RP crowd and there not going anywhere. They will continue to eat what ever it is Cryptic shovels in there trough.

Also as others have pointed out Star Citizen isn't a thing yet... ED imo makes SC a pointless game, There is only room for one twitch style Eve Clone and I would say ED has that covered.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    Recently I saw the trailer for Elite Dangerous which is coming real soon,and it looks really great.
    The bit that particularly appealed to me,was about 400 billion star systems or planets to explore and find. I looked at the patch notes for it,and there are alot more tweaks and fixes than STO.
    Alot more bugs are sorted out too.
    CRYPTIC,please wake up and smell the coffee,and get something drastically done about STO,the bugs, server not responding alot, rubberbanding etc.
    Cryptic need to stop living in a world of denial all the time,or it will mean many players leaving STO. Get the game sorted out properly and no half baked jobs.
    Communicate with the playerbase and update them regularly.
    Less players on here means less money for cryptic/pwe. think about it.

All you're doing is screaming "THEATER!" in a crowded fire.
  • Options
    originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Didn't I see this exact thread yesterday?

Why, yes, I did. Fancy that.

These are drastically different styles of games catering to different tastes, and STO still has the weight of the actual Star Trek IP. Cryptic doesn't need to do a damn thing. The folks who actually do potentially need to be worried are CCP and Egosoft, not Cryptic.

Same person too, he or she needs a forum time out.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Same person too, he or she needs a forum time out.

No, actually it's somebody else this time, although the OP of the last thread showed up here, too.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited December 2014
    immudzen wrote: »
    In the end I won't switch to Elite for the same reason I did not switch to EVE. I HATE forced PvP.

Elite doesn't have forced PvP... you should take a closer look.

Eve for 8 or 9 months has had a great EP, and she has been working on pushing the non combat stuff in Eve. Eve is of course still a mainly PvP game... I will say though after the changes the last 6 months running around in a cloaked ship exploring and scanning relics and hacking data sites is a ton of non combat fun. Anyway its not nearly the cut throat den of villainy people make it out to be.

Like others have said though ya its EvE that is concerned about Elite and to a smaller extent SC. Last feature patch a few days ago upped the GFX a ton. (really looks great) and they added Manual flight controls as well as a UI overhaul, They also removed the costs involved with clones and dying. You still loose your ship... really though flying around in frigates and destoryers is no big deal you can make enough isk to replace one doing ONE pve mission in about 10 min.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Bravo! You've won the thread! And made me spit coffee all over my laptop, dammit! :D

I don't normally come here expecting to laugh. If there was a way to award you Rep Points for real, I'd do it.
    + 150,213 awarded to monkeybone13. It is the best I can do under the circumstances.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Classic /10
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I would guess that most of the religous STO players arent twitch gamers. ED is an FPS with full 3D movement and aiming, while STO target player gets lost in an exploration nebula.

But most isn't all, and there are a lot of twitch-capable players here because of few alternatives. There is going to be a noticeable decline, no doubt about it. I can say that because there has already been a decline even without ED, steamcharts tell the story there, and it is going to accelerate when there is a decent alternative. Think the queues are bad now, just wait.

ps--It's too late for Cryptic to do anything about it, when they think they already did something with Delta Quadrant and Neelix.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Bravo! You've won the thread! And made me spit coffee all over my laptop, dammit! :D

I don't normally come here expecting to laugh. If there was a way to award you Rep Points for real, I'd do it.
    + 150,213 awarded to monkeybone13. It is the best I can do under the circumstances.

Sweet. I got T5 rep now. :D

The forums have been ablaze since Delta Rising launched and someone comes on here and says "Hey dudes, check out this new game coming soon".

I don't know about anyone else but it's cold outside and I'm staying here where it's nice and toasty. :cool:
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Oh look, another Halo/Mass Effect Clone. Shocker.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That is pretty much it.

There is not point in Gamers trying to convince the Trek Role players that there are better games out there.

There has always been better games out there. Eve is so much better then STO its sad.

Bottom line the RP crowd is the RP crowd and there not going anywhere. They will continue to eat what ever it is Cryptic shovels in there trough.

Also as others have pointed out Star Citizen isn't a thing yet... ED imo makes SC a pointless game, There is only room for one twitch style Eve Clone and I would say ED has that covered.

I love Star Trek (I know, *that* is like screaming "MOVIE!" in a crowded theater). But how much has my Phantom still to do with Trek any more?! I mean, if another PvE space game came along, offered similar functionality, player housing, etc, and all sans Geko, who knows?!

Now, I'm not saying I prefer another game. I prefer Star Trek, even if Cryptic went bust. But the fact that I find myself window shopping for others even, that is quite telling by itself.

Obviously ED is not for me, because of PvP; but the prospect of a space game with millions of systems, starbases, and one that offers me places to rent/make my own, and a real economy (like in EvE), that thought excites me. I guess what trailers like these do, is underline what STO is lacking, is what I'm saying.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    donowickdonowick Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jornado wrote: »
    lol yeah you do have to pay for it lol but unlike STO since lol you are an actual customer LOL you aren't quite as ill treated lol, at least if they follow LOL the model that most lol subscription or purchase MMOs lol actually do.

Basing an opinion either on the official trailer, or the Plinkett-esque one linked, is actually kind of dopey.

But hey, judging by your vocabulary, that's just gonna go over your head anyway. LOL

Edit: And I did have to pay for STO actually. There were free games out then too, but STO had what I wanted so I dropped money for the Digital Deluxe and the monthly sub. If a game has what you want, and isn't going to force long grinds down your throat with a pay gate bypass built in, there's no harm in paying a one-time fee for it.

I started STO when it started F2P and then became a lifer. I believe a trailer should show what it is really like not show something that you will not see in game. It might be a good game but I have played MMOs that are nothing but PVP. You end up with these people with deep pockets going around picking on lower level players and braging how good they are. I like your response to what I posted Shows me what kind of person you are. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    chiyoumiku wrote: »

Not sure if joking, or just *********.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I love Star Trek (I know, *that* is like screaming "MOVIE!" in a crowded theater). But how much has my Phantom still to do with Trek any more?! I mean, if another PvE space game came along, offered similar functionality, player housing, etc, and all sans Geko, who knows?!

Now, I'm not saying I prefer another game. I prefer Star Trek, even if Cryptic went bust. But the fact that I find myself window shopping for others even, that is quite telling by itself.

Obviously ED is not for me, because of PvP; but the prospect of a space game with millions of systems, starbases, and one that offers me places to rent/make my own, and a real economy (like in EvE), that thought excites me. I guess what trailers like these do, is underline what STO is lacking, is what I'm saying.

I think there are more people talking about ED this time around (new game coming I mean).

Honestly take a good look at ED... as I understand it PvP is 100% optional. Seems like they may do a good job of the co-op stuff as well. I know braben talks a lot about group stuffs to do ect.

I'm going to check out ED not sure it if will grab me honestly I started playing EvE again... and they have really made a ton of positive changes the last year or so. Not the least of which is moving there development cycle. They have great feature patches (on the order that Cryptic would call them expansions lol) every month or two now. They have also been fleshing out the PvE stuff... trying to make it more fun for new players particularly. When I went back I ignored my old toon and started a new one... with in a week I was zipping around low sec in a cloaked ship scanning and hacking with no combat... was fun. I did explore a worm hole which was a bit silly as it dumped me 30 some jumps into nul sec at one point... I did loose that ship. lol (I wouldn't have lost it if I didn't stop to steal a little from the local system holders haha) Really though replaced it easy enough.... The ship deaths that happen there from time to time are not a big deal the cost of ships is low unless your talking about the long grind ships that people don't often fly just for fun.

Anyway... lol ya check out the ED stuff I have a feeling it will be a lot more PVE focused then people expect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    You do not need to PvP in ED - though it is one of the quickest ways to make money. As I posted in another thread, most of what you will do in ED non-PvP is:
    Get a ship, buy some fish, plot a course to some planet that wants to buy fish. Fly there. Sell the fish, buy some fuel, buy some minerals they sell there, plot a course to some planet that wants to buy minerals. Fly there. Sell the minerals, buy some fuel and a new laser, buy some textiles they sell there, plot a course to some planet that wants to buy textiles. Fly there. Sell the textiles, buy some fuel, buy some grain they sell there, plot a course to some planet that wants to buy grain. Fly there....

And once in a while a Pirate might attack you for your cargo; or maybe your cargo might go bad. And once in a while you might take a bounty and go attack a pirate to make some credits - once you have a better ship/gear. Or maybe you want to go and fly around an asteroid to mine some ore. All with your ultimate goal to buy more weapons, a bigger ship, etc. And all the time hoping no one kills you and you have to start over.
    It is often doing a lot of tedious things and hoping something, like a pirate attack, will randomly happen to you.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    chiyoumiku wrote: »

... Wat? This isn't an FPS or TPS. It's a space sim.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I think there are more people talking about ED this time around (new game coming I mean).

Honestly take a good look at ED... as I understand it PvP is 100% optional. Seems like they may do a good job of the co-op stuff as well. I know braben talks a lot about group stuffs to do ect.

I'm going to check out ED not sure it if will grab me honestly I started playing EvE again... and they have really made a ton of positive changes the last year or so. Not the least of which is moving there development cycle. They have great feature patches (on the order that Cryptic would call them expansions lol) every month or two now. They have also been fleshing out the PvE stuff... trying to make it more fun for new players particularly. When I went back I ignored my old toon and started a new one... with in a week I was zipping around low sec in a cloaked ship scanning and hacking with no combat... was fun. I did explore a worm hole which was a bit silly as it dumped me 30 some jumps into nul sec at one point... I did loose that ship. lol (I wouldn't have lost it if I didn't stop to steal a little from the local system holders haha) Really though replaced it easy enough.... The ship deaths that happen there from time to time are not a big deal the cost of ships is low unless your talking about the long grind ships that people don't often fly just for fun.

Anyway... lol ya check out the ED stuff I have a feeling it will be a lot more PVE focused then people expect.

Hehe; well, you're a real PvP-er, so you could handle it. :) But the idea of possible avoidance of non-consensual PvP to be had, is even more exciting. :)

I should check out EvE again too, LOL. Lord knows CCP has been pegging me for ages on all my 3 accounts (yes, I was once really into it) to come back. I had some very fancy, expensive ships (mostly pricely rigged Tengu's, and my own carriers on alts to transport them).

Exciting times! :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    You do not need to PvP in ED - though it is one of the quickest ways to make money. As I posted in another thread, most of what you will do in ED non-PvP is:

It is often doing a lot of tedious things and hoping something, like a pirate attack, will randomly happen to you.

Sounds exciting! :) I must really go check it out. Thanks for the info.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Sounds exciting! :) I must really go check it out. Thanks for the info.
    Well, I have been doing it for over a month now and have not found it exciting at all; but it is your $60.00 so go for it! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I should check out EvE again too, LOL. Lord knows CCP has been pegging me for ages on all my 3 accounts (yes, I was once really into it) to come back. I had some very fancy, expensive ships (mostly pricely rigged Tengu's, and my own carriers on alts to transport them).

Exciting times! :)

New Rhea stuff. Video doesn't mention the manual flight controls or how cool the new map is. ;)

I feel a bit bad posting that on there forums but meh. lol

I know its so different from STO... I miss STO I do really. Its just the STO that is online right now isn't the STO I miss. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    immudzen wrote: »
    In the end I won't switch to Elite for the same reason I did not switch to EVE. I HATE forced PvP. I play games to relax. If I want to be mentally challenged I could have just stayed at work and kept working on hard math problems. I don't find PvP relaxing in any way at all. I tried EVE for a little bit and even in high sector space there where people that would suicide kill newbies. Sure concord would show up and blow them up but that did me no good at all.

From what I can see even if you set the slider in elite all the way to the PVE side you can STILL be attacked and killed by other players. I am interested in a PVE space game and right now STO seems to be about the best option for that. Sure there are lots of features I would like STO to add but the alternatives are just not competitors for me at least.

Nothing Elite or EVE does makes it a competitor to STO for me unless they had a PVP off button. PVP in most MMOs just does not work. The classes are just not balanced to fight against each other and PVP ends up being dead fairly quickly. if you make a PVP focused game then you don't have that issue but then you also drive away PVE people who don't like the entire PVP culture.
    My experience is that PvP in MMOs usually comes down to who has the shiniest gun. And in ED that means pay-to-win since you can buy upgrades from the cash shop.
    I guess what trailers like these do, is underline what STO is lacking, is what I'm saying.
    Did you watch any actual gameplay footage from ED?
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

when someone who likes it calls it tedious.... yeah....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Did you watch any actual gameplay footage from ED?

Yep, it looks like good graphics with actually decent performance. And an actual sandbox environment to venture around in. And a cockpit view - which as you may remember, is a frequently requested feature in STO. And not terrible AI. And did I mention sandbox?
    when someone who likes it calls it tedious.... yeah....

What's your point? Even when I liked what STO was offering me, I found the most commonly done endgame content a tedious means to an end.

We get it, you don't like it. And we all agree, it's not on the Trek license, and they didn't bother to try putting a Trek paintjob on it. Some might say that's a more honest approach to doing a space game than STO ever was.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited December 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    bs

From what i have seen it has nice movement mechanics, but STO has star trek and actual diversity in ship types amongst other things.

And even if ED was a credible rival then how do you suggest STO changes overnight? They have an existing engine and models to work with so it is not as IF they could change rapidly.

I think he is asking Cryptic/PWE to respond by making their game a lot better all the sudden.
  • Options
    wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I've been interested in it since seeing this article showcasing a guys pirating run http://www.themittani.com/media/getting-there-eventually-privateering-elite-dangerous

and as it stands, if it can deliver that quick ship combat casually, it'll likely replace STO as my casual space combat game.. It is more complex then STO, and I don't think I could handle getting into it any deeper then that while playing eve as well..... but If i can build up a ship, and then fund my fun times off of what I can pirate, then I'll be happy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU
  • Options
    flyingshoeboxflyingshoebox Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I’m messed with ed a bit in beta and a wee bit in gamma and while one day it may be a really fun right now it’s rough to say the least. It can be a fun but it falls much more along the lines of a simulator then what sto is. Think euro truck simulator meets dcs.
This discussion has been closed.