test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Elite Dangerous coming soon. What is Cryptic doing to keep players at STO???

Comments

• jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    alonar wrote: »
    These kinds of arguments are some of the dumbest ever put forward. Tell me why someone would chose to play only ONE game, are you that lame that you cant play more? It's almost as bad as Star Trek vs Star Wars, or Marvel vs DC, I LOVE them all.

But the answers are obvious - Star Trek wins, and Marvel LOLs at DC all the way to the bank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    These kinds of arguments are some of the dumbest ever put forward. Tell me why someone would chose to play only ONE game, are you that lame that you cant play more? It's almost as bad as Star Trek vs Star Wars, or Marvel vs DC, I LOVE them all.

Same reason many ppl abandoned their alt: too costly to keep all going. So, with only a couple of hundred to spend each month on games, I'm not gonna play them all. Understand it now?!

So, if that game comes along in PvE variety, guess who will be abandoning the man and his insane upgrade system?! :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Wow, you guys spend actual money on this game?? Why?
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    @meimeitoo: just watched that episode on Voyager the other day. Funny sig :)
    edited December 2014

So you can keep playing for free, maybe?! :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited December 2014

Because it looked fun.

I ask the same question whenever someone says they bought an Assassin's Creed game, and get the same response.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm not allowed to play more than one game now?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,454 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    its not a doom post,its a cryptic wake up post

Why is it a "Wake up" post?

So there's a new game coming out that is more of a modern version of Wing Commander Privateer without the Kilrathi. So what? There's always going to be a new game. Heck... there WAS going to be a Stargate mmo, but even with all the anticipation and hype, the company went under and took the game with it. Which sucks. I wanted to check that one out.

ED is not going to be a STO killer, just as all of the so called "WoW killers" failed to dethrone WoW. The only real threat to STO is if another Star Trek MMO, a real one not a web browser Facebook game, comes out.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    Recently I saw the trailer for Elite Dangerous which is coming real soon,and it looks really great.
    The bit that particularly appealed to me,was about 400 billion star systems or planets to explore and find. I looked at the patch notes for it,and there are alot more tweaks and fixes than STO.
    Alot more bugs are sorted out too.
    CRYPTIC,please wake up and smell the coffee,and get something drastically done about STO,the bugs, server not responding alot, rubberbanding etc.
    Cryptic need to stop living in a world of denial all the time,or it will mean many players leaving STO. Get the game sorted out properly and no half baked jobs.
    Communicate with the playerbase and update them regularly.
    Less players on here means less money for cryptic/pwe. think about it.

what has ED got to do directly with STO game play? nothing, so why is it in general for.. oh right a more receptive audience... still not a valid reason :P.

why has it got nothing to do with STO, because if it wins or looses that fight against sto, it wouldnt make any difference to the devs or the game itself.

additionally there is only 1 doom thread allowed, read the fct.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    curedmen wrote: »

After 10 minutes of that video they won me over already. Sorry STO. I wanna play Elite dangerous!

It's like 'Freelancer' times 1 trillion! Ohhh man So awesome! I'm throwing money at the screen!! Elite is what STO should have been in terms of exploration. Wow, just wow. Going to watch the rest of that video now. :D
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Well, loks nice, its a subscription model??.. anyway, i'll be playing STO still, i have Dragon Age Inquisition, adavance some missions, then back STO, used to do the same with SWTOR...

STO it and will be my favorite game, the rest are secondary...
    Before making a decision, you should watch the abridged trailer.

Looks almost like a totally different game. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited December 2014
    @meimeitoo: just watched that episode on Voyager the other day. Funny sig :)

Hehe; thx. :) I enjoyed seeing the Pralor return in Delta Rising too.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Ground AND Space AND Trek IP.

Give me all three, and I'll jump.

Bonus points if it's not F2P.
  • zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Nothing will kill STO because everything is awesome.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,434 Arc User
    edited December 2014

My roommate bought the game during beta. Those slow sequences where all you can see on the screen is lines? That's the gameplay. The exciting bits with ships zooming and swooping around? That's just a cartoon. Nothing to do with the actual game.

I'm tempted to try it because certain aspects remind me of an old space-trading sim I used to play on my C-64 back in the day (will the market for Blue Wool still be high when I get to the target planet? Or will someone have beaten me there, and now I'll have to sell at a loss so I have room to pick up those valuable crystals there?), but there's no way it'll ever make me stop playing STO, any more than starting STO made me give up CO.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited December 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    My roommate bought the game during beta. Those slow sequences where all you can see on the screen is lines? That's the gameplay. The exciting bits with ships zooming and swooping around? That's just a cartoon. Nothing to do with the actual game.

I'm tempted to try it because certain aspects remind me of an old space-trading sim I used to play on my C-64 back in the day (will the market for Blue Wool still be high when I get to the target planet? Or will someone have beaten me there, and now I'll have to sell at a loss so I have room to pick up those valuable crystals there?), but there's no way it'll ever make me stop playing STO, any more than starting STO made me give up CO.
    Yeah that's why I recommend that people watch the abridged trailer. the official trailer seems like what the ED devs wish the game was instead of what it is.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited December 2014
    Yeah that's why I recommend that people watch the abridged trailer. the official trailer seems like what the ED devs wish the game was instead of what it is.

This does an adequate job of explaining it without PR.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • donowickdonowick Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited December 2014

LOL and you have to pay for it lol sorry that doesn't compare to STO lol :)

Nice video :D
    edited December 2014
    donowick wrote: »
    LOL and you have to pay for it lol sorry that doesn't compare to STO lol :)

Nice video :D

lol yeah you do have to pay for it lol but unlike STO since lol you are an actual customer LOL you aren't quite as ill treated lol, at least if they follow LOL the model that most lol subscription or purchase MMOs lol actually do.

Basing an opinion either on the official trailer, or the Plinkett-esque one linked, is actually kind of dopey.

But hey, judging by your vocabulary, that's just gonna go over your head anyway. LOL

Edit: And I did have to pay for STO actually. There were free games out then too, but STO had what I wanted so I dropped money for the Digital Deluxe and the monthly sub. If a game has what you want, and isn't going to force long grinds down your throat with a pay gate bypass built in, there's no harm in paying a one-time fee for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There is no doubt in my mind that if you are the type of player who loves Eve you will also love ED - ED is a slightly more advanced version of Eve, IMO. If you like to keep track of fuel in your ship, and number of missiles, and needing to remember to put your landing gear up and down before you can land at a station or warp, then ED is probably a game you can get into.

It is all sandbox simulator. There are no story missions. Your goal is to make credits and buy bigger ships and more advanced gear - and some of the good ships run into the millions of in-game currency; but luckily there will be a store you can use to buy them with real money if you do not want to wait months/years to earn those millions. You can haul cargo for money, you can mine ore for money, you can bounty hunt for money, you can pvp, etc. If your ship is destroyed you start over, unless you buy insurance. It is essentially the same as Eve.

So I will say it again: if you currently like Eve you will probably like ED. If you are not a fan of Eve then ED will be of little enjoyment to you. There is no story, no missions, you simply fly around and try to earn credits.

The game will costs $60.00 and does not have a Subscription, like GW2. The additional money they make will come from their MT Store.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • cem3212cem3212 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I've been looking at Elite Dangerous (ED) a bit & it does look promising & fun. It definitely looks appealing, but I need to learn more about it. Depending upon ED's model I'll probably play it to test it out for at least awhile then decide not worth the investment of time &/or $.

Star Citizen looks most promising & advanced, but it's SO FAR away I'm not even considering it, let alone I wont invest any $ into it yet. I admire that vision, but not those prices.

I wont abandon Star Trek Online (STO), it's still a fun good game, but every since earlier this year with Cryptic's removal of the dilithium store & some of those items purchased prior to the patch removing the store then those items having limitations placed upon them post I haven't bought anymore Zen. Let alone this coercing of "move your Zen or it will expire" attitude I don't find welcoming either. Again though, STO is still a good game despite it's faults. It offers a lot for free players & paying alike which, hopefully, will only improve.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Why should pwe/cryptic do anything at all?

Those who desire to play ED will do so. Those who wish to continue playing STO will also do so. I realize this may be blasphemy and heresy of the highest order here, but...

...Some people will play both. At the same time. It is called, "multitasking".(Gasp! The Horror!)

Why do threads like this always assume I can play one or the other but not both simultaneously? Why do people persist in trying to make the Internet all about absolutes all the time?

Sure glad I left all the high school lunch room drama behind thirty four years ago. :D

I suspect some people feel they have been wronged somehow by pwe/cryptic. 'The fault lies not in our stars, but in ourselves.' As way to "get some payback" on pwe/cryptic, these sorts of threads pop up prophesying doom for STO. They've popped again and again since beta. Yet somehow STO staggers on. It's not the greatest Star Trek game of all time! Of all time! But it is Star Trek. Which I have enjoyed since 1968, when a very small boy watched Kirk kick the TRIBBLE out of those nasty Klingons on a black and white 15" TV. Which had rabbit ears proudly displayed on the top. I strongly suspect if the servers shut down forever tomorrow, I'd probably go on enjoying Star Trek.

I have no problem with people wanting to 'punish' pwe/cryptic. Lord knows they deserve it sometimes. But could people please do it some place other than the forums? By going away quietly? Without announcing a melodramatic departure worthy of the worst sort of overacting to anyone within earshot? Because I can only care so much about other people before I get really bored with the hysterical histrionics and move on.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Cryptic is not going to do anything - which is the same thing they did when GW2 came out, and SWTOR before that, and some players on the forum stated all their customers were going to run off to those games. :)

ED is a Sim rather then an RPG. It will be great for people who like that style of play - but just as STO is still here even though Eve is around it will still be here when ED, and eventually SC, comes out.

Lmao. STO is still here because it went free to play and it has loyal fans. Eve is an expensive game to play, and extremely time consuming when it comes to getting anything done. Say what you will about STO, but it still takes less time to grind s out a rep here than it does to do enough research and training in eve to be able to do anything useful or fun. Eve is the true grindfest.
    edited December 2014
    jornado wrote: »
    This does an adequate job of explaining it without PR.
    watched up to around 10m and... while it does look like a cool game, I don't feel like trying it. Especially after the part where he flies up to a resource extraction point and wastes whoever was there first. (not sure if it was an NPC or player.)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited December 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    Lmao. STO is still here because it went free to play and it has loyal fans. Eve is an expensive game to play, and extremely time consuming when it comes to getting anything done. Say what you will about STO, but it still takes less time to grind s out a rep here than it does to do enough research and training in eve to be able to do anything useful or fun. Eve is the true grindfest.
    You will not get any argument from me on that. :) The longest I could ever bring myself to play Eve was 2 months. I have gone back several times to try it out again but cannot play it for more then a month.

I have been in the Beta for ED a little over a month now and I am already tired of it. Grind-sims are just not my thing.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Does everyone remember all the hype for Star Citizen? That was an epic flop. It doesn't even run on any basic PCs, you actually have to have something fairly close to top of the line just to start it up. I can all but guarantee that this next piece of garbage will disappoint just as much. And no, players will not be leaving all their other space games to play it, and certainly not the STO fans.

I don't think most of you doomsayers really get it. Most of the players on STO aren't here because its a space Sim. They're here because its Star Trek. Where else can you not only take command of one of your favorite ships from the show, but customize it as well? Where else are you gonna face down Klingon birds of prey and romulan warbirds? Hell, you can even recreate some of the most epic Trek battles with the Foundry. Somehow, I doubt any of the previously mentioned games can even offer that.
  • originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I will be here for STO till the end because I am not an ADHD sellout because a mmo is going through a rough patch. You like ED so much? Good for you, No mans sky looks to clobber it. Enjoy.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Neat videos. The abridged one was funny.

But ... it's just not "Star Trek". And for what STO is as a game ... it's more Star Trek than the videos posted are showing me.

Besides, I think my video card would commit seppuku, then explode, causing a tornado fire in my PC case if I tried to play ED, so I'll stick with what I have :P

Good luck to everyone playing ED. Have fun :)
    edited December 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    Does everyone remember all the hype for Star Citizen? That was an epic flop.
    I do not believe you mean Star Citizen. That game does not even come out until next fall - assuming it is not pushed back even further; as it was originally coming out in the spring of 2015.
    edited December 2014
    Neat videos. The abridged one was funny.

But ... it's just not "Star Trek". And for what STO is as a game ... it's more Star Trek than the videos posted are showing me.

Besides, I think my video card would commit seppuku, then explode, causing a tornado fire in my PC case if I tried to play ED, so I'll stick with what I have :P

Good luck to everyone playing ED. Have fun :)

I agree actually, and completely. It's not the MMO Trek fans want or need. STO is the MMO for Trek fans. As much as I feel is wrong with it, the only reason I even care there are things wrong is because it's a Trek themed MMO. If it were generic space MMO 1.0, I wouldn't give a hot pile of donkey droppings what happened to it. I'd have packed up and left, forums and all.

As to the graphics though - they look good, but not terribly intensive to be honest - if your PC can handle the un-optimized cesspool that is STO's graphics engine, it can probably handle ED with ease. STO's engine can bring dual 980s to their knees in some situations. Almost nothing else out there can do that at sub-4k resolutions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.