test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Elite Dangerous coming soon. What is Cryptic doing to keep players at STO???

stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Ten Forward
Recently I saw the trailer for Elite Dangerous which is coming real soon,and it looks really great.
The bit that particularly appealed to me,was about 400 billion star systems or planets to explore and find. I looked at the patch notes for it,and there are alot more tweaks and fixes than STO.
Alot more bugs are sorted out too.
CRYPTIC,please wake up and smell the coffee,and get something drastically done about STO,the bugs, server not responding alot, rubberbanding etc.
Cryptic need to stop living in a world of denial all the time,or it will mean many players leaving STO. Get the game sorted out properly and no half baked jobs.
Communicate with the playerbase and update them regularly.
Less players on here means less money for cryptic/pwe. think about it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    crusaders4christcrusaders4christ Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    what exactly is Elite Dangerous? This is the first time I have heard about it? Mind shooting us a link.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    look it up. its www.elitedangerous.com
    Or just google it
  • Options
    curedmencuredmen Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    what exactly is Elite Dangerous? This is the first time I have heard about it? Mind shooting us a link.

https://www.elitedangerous.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm_0S9hNMMc

Launches 16th, next week.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Cryptic is not going to do anything - which is the same thing they did when GW2 came out, and SWTOR before that, and some players on the forum stated all their customers were going to run off to those games. :)

ED is a Sim rather then an RPG. It will be great for people who like that style of play - but just as STO is still here even though Eve is around it will still be here when ED, and eventually SC, comes out.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Typical doom post. Every time some new game or expansion comes, people ask if it will break the game. Obviously it has not...
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Typical doom post. Every time some new game or expansion comes, people ask if it will break the game. Obviously it has not...
    its not a doom post,its a cryptic wake up post
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well, loks nice, its a subscription model??.. anyway, i'll be playing STO still, i have Dragon Age Inquisition, adavance some missions, then back STO, used to do the same with SWTOR...

STO it and will be my favorite game, the rest are secondary...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    All aboard the Hype Train, CHOO CHOO! :D

Oh yeah, [X] game is coming out soon! Y'all better watch out now! The hype's gonna get ya! CHOO CHOO!
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I look at Elite Dangerous, and think about how that should crush STO.
    I look at Eve, and think about how that should crush STO.
    I look at Star Citizen, and think about how that should crush STO.
    I look at Dreadnought, and think about how that should crush STO.
    Heck, I look at Spore, and think about how it would crush STO if it were a modern MMO.

But in the end, none will crush STO because none have the Trek logo on them. The only reason anyone forks over money into this hideous system is because it is thinly wrapped in Trek names and looks. The only thing that could crush STO is another Trek MMO, or PWE's own stupidity. I am inclined to believe it will be the latter.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »

Aye, everything is awesome! ;)
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    Recently I saw the trailer for Elite Dangerous which is coming real soon,and it looks really great.
    The bit that particularly appealed to me,was about 400 billion star systems or planets to explore and find. I looked at the patch notes for it,and there are alot more tweaks and fixes than STO.
    CRYPTIC,please wake up and smell the coffee,and get something drastically done about STO,the bugs, server not responding alot, rubberbanding etc.
    Cryptic need to stop living in a world of denial all the time,or it will mean many players leaving STO. Get the game sorted out properly and no half baked jobs.

The thing about that game is (a) it's new, and hence buggier than STO during LoR's release turned up to eleven, and (b) it uses the Genesis engine to make those random star systems.

You remember the Genesis engine? The piece of technology responsible for the Third Borg Dynasty?

I'm no Cryptic fan; I loathe the upgrade system's price factor, and the ongoing skill points issues are freaking annoying, and I'm not afraid to tell them when they TRIBBLE up, but posts like this are really, really hilarious and for all the wrong reasons.

You want to know why there are so many bug fixes in ED? It's because it's buggier than a Louisiana swamp. The thing with STO is that all of the easy bugs have been fixed already; the only ones left are those annoying ones so deeply embedded in thousands of bits of code that fixing, say, the Tides of Ice completion issues broke it entirely.

ED just has a metric butt ton of easy-fix bugs on top of all the hard stuff.

And as for 400 billion star systems...yeah, right. More like 5 or 6 missions with different art, over and over and freaking over.

No, thanks. I'll stick with STO, despite its issues.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Cryptic will do nothing about it, devs are waiting for ED as much as the next person. THEY LOVE IT!
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    they will do nothing because ED is not Star Trek, period.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Cryptic need to stop living in a world of denial all the time,

It's not really a world of denial, it's a world of a licensed IP that will always have a built-in fanbase and therefore playerbase.

As long as they can get some of the massive world of Trekkies to pay insane prices, it's always an inverted Kobayashi Maru as far as the profits are concerned.

They could completely stop development now, and as long as they cut the staff down to just CS while continuing to use a shared systems team amongst their games, this game could probably remain profitable on life support for a decade or more.

Games with no major IP license (*cough* Anarchy Online *cough*) have managed to adopt this model and remain cashflow positive for almost that long. No reason for PWE to do much more than milk the franchise except in cases they can expect huge day one metrics and sales.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It is an "implied doom" post. "If you don't do anything, the game is gonna fail, because everyone runs to this other game!"

Yeah, that happens all the time when another game is around that has even the most remote commonalities with STO.

Elite Dangerous is not an MMORPG. It's a space sim. you fly mostly smaller ships with small or single man crews, try to get rich trading, pirating, body guarding or bounty hunting.
    It's not a Star Trek game. It doesn't have Vulcans, Klingons, Romulans, Starfleet, Phasers, Photon Torpedoes, Quantum Torpedoes, Q, Borg, Betazoids, Changlins, Jem'Hardar, Cardassians, Defiants, Galaxy Class ships, Vor'Chas, Bird of Preys and so much more that is part of Star Trek.

I am sure some people here will want to check out Elite Dangerous. Some may stick with it, because they were always more interested in a simulation game, prefer flying your own privately owned armed freighter over a huge starship representing a galactic nation, and they were never that much into the Star Trek trappings.

voporak wrote: »
    I look at Dreadnought, and think about how that should crush STO.
    This is probably due to my personal preferences, but I think Dreadnought looks the most like a STO rival simply due its gameplay. It is also "tall ship combat", and they seem to have a neat mix of space magic in it like Star Trek Online. Unlike STO, the setting will likely work relatively well with the space magic they have. Though if it doesn't have to offer "story play" with PVE and all and becomes focused singularly on arena fights (like Star Trek Online PvP) the gameplay might turn stale, ultimately. That said, I think STO PvP fans should look very closely at that title, it could be what they always wanted.
    But... It's no Star Trek either. It will have to establish its own IP and that could prove challenging, and is likely not very helpful from a marketing point of view.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Sweet bird in the sky, why do people feel the need to do this? The fact that people pretty much spams ED on this forum pretty much drives to never play the game out of pure pointless spite.

I call for the names of the powers on high. Move this thread or let it die. Smirk, Askray, Geek of Blue, I call forth the power of one of you. Guardian Spirits of the Forums, STRIKE!
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Sweet bird in the sky, why do people feel the need to do this? The fact that people pretty much spams ED on this forum pretty much drives to never play the game out of pure pointless spite.

I'd argue that not trying out something you may be interested in just because of pure pointless spite towards some random person on the internet that you'll probably never see or meet in your life is equally naive as believing that it is ED that will bring STO down.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,414 Arc User
    edited December 2014

bs

From what i have seen it has nice movement mechanics, but STO has star trek and actual diversity in ship types amongst other things.

And even if ED was a credible rival then how do you suggest STO changes overnight? They have an existing engine and models to work with so it is not as IF they could change rapidly.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    lordmanzelotlordmanzelot Member Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Why hould elite crush STO?

Some will play STO some Elite some SWTOR and others play STO + Elite + SWTOR. It's a misbelief that the release of Elite will crush any game. Every game has target customers.
    Subscribed For: 2300+ Days
  • Options
    aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    At least with ED it shows what is true about the galaxy and that it's expanding. With STO, there are only so many quadrants to explore. ED has the right idea.
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    After looking at ED and SC i think neither game will have an impact on STO. If anything its Eve online that will compete with those games. And the players leaving STO have left already or are just logging in to doff and rep.
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    aoax10 wrote: »
    At least with ED it shows what is true about the galaxy and that it's expanding. With STO, there are only so many quadrants to explore. ED has the right idea.

I agree with this. I would try it if real exploring is in the game. Not just the same cookie cutter TRIBBLE in every quadrant.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Elite Dangerous, like Star Citizen, is often hyped on these boards as a "STO Killer". Which, of course, is nonsense.

Both being niche titles, I don't see them making a dent in STO.
  • Options
    ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    i'm not really intersted in flight sims of any sort i find them hard on me since i am locked into first person often and tend towards getting vertigo so you wont find me playing them. I am probably not alone in this. One is an rpg and the other is a flight sim.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Elite Dangerous, like Star Citizen, is often hyped on these boards as a "STO Killer". Which, of course, is nonsense.

agreed, now if ED or SC had a star trek licence things would be different...people play STO because of trek, not because it is a particularly good game.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited December 2014

There is probably a higher probability that MMOs create their own dents without other games touching them.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well, ED does have a talking dictionary/encyclodedia you can vocally interact with. :) The AI voice sounds a bit too close to Adele's accent to me.

And THAT'S the reason I will never play ED. Ever. :(
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited December 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    All aboard the Hype Train, CHOO CHOO! :D

Oh yeah, [X] game is coming out soon! Y'all better watch out now! The hype's gonna get ya! CHOO CHOO!

OMGERD that brings back memories... bad memories...
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    curedmen wrote: »

Too bad it's PvP, or I would tell Geko what he can do with his game. :D
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.