test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Geko, What Game are You Playing(If at All)?

varekraithvarekraith Member Posts: 198 Arc User
Because based on the most recent P1 podcast, it's clearly not Holodeck on STO.
http://priorityonepodcast.com/po200/

Just listen to him talk about patrols and exp. Listen. They don't square with what is actually going on in-game.
I never liked Geko to begin with, but this is a new low.
Congrats, I guess.
Post edited by varekraith on

Comments

• kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well if he's like me, he's not playing STO and hasn't been for a month because his trays reset every time he does something thus making the game and his fully decked out XIV ship completely unplayable.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    But they made a lot of money by making people re-buy ships and gear
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    well until the players offer up their own metrics, which most are questionable, I'm more inclined to believe Geko.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I love seeing blind faith, it's so heartwarming...
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Geck is either delusional, or answering to the big boss.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    well until the players offer up their own metrics, which most are questionable, I'm more inclined to believe Geko.

You don't need metrics to tell whether you like the game or not.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • nuqinuqi Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They use the 'fun' word a lot but talk about metrics, PWE-set targets and twiddling without fixing.

Don't be silly guys and gals... quit moaning and sort out your wrong-thinks... the best way to look at the sheer volume of dil+ec+specpoints introduced with crafting/DR is in 'bite-size' attainable bits. Whatever you do, don't do the total math... heck no... or if you do, do the math our way, with our slanted perspective. Sure the item costs gigaquadroubles in whatevercurrency but hey, no biggie, just focus on the small beans and how easy it is to take a fairy step. Sorted.

All this despite such a philosophy clearly translating into more repetitive playtime for fairy-step gains.

'Cos at the end of the day each of the 100-odd episodes (AKA 'content') has a 'replay' button as a friendly designer hint at how you're supposed to play the game. OK?

'Cos at the end of the day each of the 100-odd episodes (AKA 'content') has a 'replay' button as a friendly designer hint at how you're supposed to play the game. OK?

See? Three times is just nuts... and replaying over and over is superb 'fun' design... now go do the in-game content replay math.

Everyone should listen to this podcast. It's packed with hours-worth of words trying to rationalise insanity.
    0EaMZUq.jpg
  • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    kozar2 wrote: »
    Well if he's like me, he's not playing STO and hasn't been for a month because his trays reset every time he does something thus making the game and his fully decked out XIV ship completely unplayable.

^ true dat
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    nuqi wrote: »
    Everyone should listen to this podcast. It's packed with hours-worth of words trying to rationalise insanity.

:D

/thread
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Geko, just, if you can "make" a maxed out toon or is one is there to test that is just a tester that you don't have to be bothered on by anyone, and start doing some of the patrols, if you could play these for one month, for at least 2 hours a day, you will see what we mean... :(
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think they're just focused far too much on metrics without giving any though to the reasons behind the numbers.
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Watching numbers only goes so far though ... there is to much lost doing that, there is no passion in it, there isn't much soul to that kind of thing, some things need the human factor.

They had a perfect formula pre-DR though, regardless of what it looked like it was why we where here. no bug XP, no nerfs, just plain awesomes and stuff.

it's system was flat out iconic.
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Geko is a perfect example of what you get when you judge a game only by 'metrics' and not by actually playing it.

He, like the majority of the Dev team are so wildly out of of touch and clueless that it baffles the mind.

I don't think any of these guys ever actually play the game.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I wasted 82mb on my smart phone to listen to the last P1 (199) on my way back home from work. Was already pretty departed from my in game experience these days in sto. Think I skip 200 and I’m better off listening to German comedy. Good laughs as well but without any annoyance attached to it.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    edited December 2014
    I think there should be a Dev's vs PvP Players match. Just so they can see the nature of the beast. Oh and then make them do the Elite Borg Disconnected 10 times in a row with no God mode and only VR gear :)
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This is what I posted in the PO200 thread...
    I apologize that I only got to around 106 into the podcast before I just closed it and deleted it. I had no idea what game Geko was talking about. I had no idea what players he was talking about. The only person that probably had less of an idea what Geko was talking about was Geko himself. Normally I try to listen through the whole thing, well - I skip ahead to the interview because I don't care about any of the other bits, no offense - they're just not my thing. I just couldn't take it anymore...it was like he was talking about some episodic single player game rather than a MMO. I was doing fine and then that last 5 minutes or so that I listened to, I knew I had to stop or I would have joined the Trolldiers of the Apocalypse with their nonsensical ramblings...because the ol' brain would have just snapped and I would have gone off the deep end if I had listened to more. As is, it's probably going to take a week or two before I stop walking around with a WTF look on my face...

...and I'm not kidding. My face actually hurts from the WTF look that's stuck there now.

In the past there's been the back and forth, agreement and disagreement, thinking that he was out of touch on things...but with this interview...it was just WTF?
  • ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My advice to Geko would be: Listen to Branflakes. During this P1 episode he talked about a lot of good & wise things.

Baymax
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    But they made a lot of money by making people re-buy ships and gear

Yep they made a lot of money so it's the most successful expansion ever. :cool:
    Tza0PEl.png
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    varekraith wrote: »
    Because based on the most recent P1 podcast, it's clearly not Holodeck on STO.
    http://priorityonepodcast.com/po200/
    It's not clear. I'm not sure what's implying that he isn't, but his claim that he is playing STO should be more reasonable, seeing as how giving him the benefit of the doubt is the most logical path to follow in this situation.
    varekraith wrote: »
    Just listen to him talk about patrols and exp. Listen. They don't square with what is actually going on in-game.
    I never liked Geko to begin with, but this is a new low.
    Congrats, I guess.
    I heard that the patrols don't match what's in the game now, and they're getting patched to give more exp(which apparently is getting patched this week). What am I supposed to hear? :confused:
  • mossimo70fumossimo70fu Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    It's not clear. I'm not sure what's implying that he isn't, but his claim that he is playing STO should be more reasonable, seeing as how giving him the benefit of the doubt is the most logical path to follow in this situation.

I heard that the patrols don't match what's in the game now, and they're getting patched to give more exp(which apparently is getting patched this week). What am I supposed to hear? :confused:

Big XP buff patch this week huh? Forgive me if I'm skeptical. Guess I can stick around a few more days to see how this plays out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Big XP buff patch this week huh? Forgive me if I'm skeptical. Guess I can stick around a few more days to see how this plays out.

Talking about a dev here who claimed there was no actionable feedback on the doff ui even though there was bucket loads of it. He's blind to his own ignorance.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Yep they made a lot of money so it's the most successful expansion ever. :cool:

I'd really love to know how well it's doing now. All those sales were leading up to and the first few days of DR, prior to all the nerfs! Now it could be quite a different story.

Sadly, it seems we have no one we can trust to tell us the truth, I don’t think I will ever trust anything Geco ever says, ever.

(And I do mean sadly, I'm not angry anymore. Perhaps I've given up hoping that they will ever fix this mess)
    edited December 2014
    You have every right to be skeptical. I'm not completely positive of it myself. But it does make sense to me, and I believe the claims that it will.
  • mossimo70fumossimo70fu Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You have every right to be skeptical. I'm not completely positive of it myself. But it does make sense to me, and I believe the claims that it will.

So what kind of number have been floated about this? I assume we aren't going back to the days of 1-2 missions per level. Even doubling XP it would be roughly 10 missions per level - seems lackluster but it might be a start in the right direction, but I doubt we'll see a doubling of XP rewards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2014
    So what kind of number have been floated about this? I assume we aren't going back to the days of 1-2 missions per level. Even doubling XP it would be roughly 10 missions per level - seems lackluster but it might be a start in the right direction, but I doubt we'll see a doubling of XP rewards.
    I don't think the '1-2 missions per level' bit has changed at all. It just doesn't include post-50.

Or at least I think. Haven't leveled a character before 50 since DR hit. :<
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    betayuya wrote: »
    Watching numbers only goes so far though ... there is to much lost doing that, there is no passion in it, there isn't much soul to that kind of thing, some things need the human factor.

That's what I've been telling them since the first moment they (Cryptic) mentioned their allmighty "metrics". They're just numbers. They lack the human factor, the way people feel about things. Feelings which as of late are very prominent on the forum as a direct result to their obsession with "metrics" and not reaching out and communicating with their playerbase.
    These boards have always had dumb and rough, but neither the first time around nor the second time (after the PWE assimilation of forum accounts) I joined the forum has it been so apathetic and scorched as it is for the past 2 months and going strong.

And Geko has always been in "Tralala" land regarding the game, IMHO. The only difference is that with D'Angelo he now has his "Robin".
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There's a major disconnect between the Dev that was speaking during the 200 P1 episode and the players of STO.

I have to question by what standards Cryptic is measuring the success of Delta Rising :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9_zKm2Ewaw must be playing on an unending loop at Cryptic ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • woozywyvernwoozywyvern Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't think the '1-2 missions per level' bit has changed at all. It just doesn't include post-50.

Or at least I think. Haven't leveled a character before 50 since DR hit. :<

Yep, I have recently returned and levelling to 50 (well at least to 37) its generally 1 to 3 missions per level.

Have no experience of post 50 though, kinda dreading getting there based on what I've read here. :(
    edited December 2014
    I'm just listening to it now. You've got the interviewer just gushing over the content saying it was "Amazing" at every opportunity (wow more Emperor's new clothes!) and then you have Geko taking the save lines offered by the interviewer. Offering up an excuse answer during the question is not good interviewing technique. If it was an interrogation it would be called a leading question.

Geko saying 50 to 60 is by design 35 hours of playtime. That cracks me up. The fact he thinks it's 45hrs to level 1-50 is also funny. It's about 10hrs during a double XP session or about 20hrs otherwise. The progression speeds should have been either totally rebalanced (as per every other damn MMO) or adjusted at least to keep a linear or even logarithmic progression. Shoehorning 35 hours into 8 missions was incredibly poor judgement.

@woozywyvern - Up to the end of the Fed's Romulan Mystery it's roughly 1 level per mission. Cardassian arc varies between 0.5 and 1 level per mission. Post Cardassian arc through to Dyson it's 0.5 levels per mission on avg. Dyson ups it back to around 1 to even 2 at some points.

Then it comes to DR where it's about 1 pixel per mission. Rivera (Geko) claims happily that DR missions give more XP by a large factor compared to the original missions. My alt's who are level 53 beg to differ. All gain more XP by completing missions prior to DR. I got all to level 50 during a Double XP stint and therefore they have a lot of excess missions...
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    edited December 2014
    Yep, I have recently returned and levelling to 50 (well at least to 37) its generally 1 to 3 missions per level.

Have no experience of post 50 though, kinda dreading getting there based on what I've read here. :(
    It's a longer path for sure. But do your DOFF assignments aggressively(Delta Quadrant assignments, as in, the new assignments that are only available in the DQ give double exp), run your patrol missions(rumor has it that they'll start giving more exp after this week's patch), and finish all pre-Delta missions and you should be more than okay.

Also, take a break and queue up once in a while. <3