Install Arc
Options

How do you want it Cryptic?

Comments

• Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    vegie0 wrote: »
    But still, Taco Fangs showed us the Door... Im sorry, that is not something any of us had trouble with. As it is stated earlier, he showed us the door, so it wouldnt hit us in the TRIBBLE on the way out.
    You think he metaphorically did so - I maintain he just stated a fact, and accepted it as such, no door involved whatsoever

There's no good reason to take it as an insult at all, seriously - and given the choice, I'd rather not take it as an insult than take it as one anyway
    Of course he was, hence the Cryptic tag to his post and his graciously long post explaining company position.

So riddle me this, why is an EA posting on the customer satisfaction, service, company policy etc?

He posted as a Crytpic team member, period.

No skin off my nose though, next garbage pile will be sugarcoated by Taco, thanks for helping them flesh that out.
    Of course he's a member of Cryptic; that is not in question. But my point is that everything he does is not because the company is telling him to do so; he did this on his own, and we should appreciate that
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    People are angry, devs have retreated, the few that pop their heads in are being beat on for no good reason.

Taco is pretty civil on the forums, he gives you real answers, answers you might not like but it is what it is. He has a department, he doesn't get to choose what areas he does or the direction the game goes. He doesn't ignore your questions about skill points because he is a prick, its literally not his department.

The best part of this game is the environments, they've only gotten less buggy over the years, Boff movement is improved, texture and graphic quality is up.

There are devs that should be communicating about our concerns, but they aren't. We know who they are, but raging at the incorrect people doesn't help. The fact that those devs almost never post on those forums, much less never discuss anything is the reason the game is in the state it is.

These are the people throwing power ups and coin collecting in ground battle zones, making mind numbing grind the norm and just spitting out TRIBBLE that doesn't belong in STO. And while there are ways for them to do what they do in a Star Trek way, they simply can't be bothered.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think people are taking Taco's statement a little out of proportion (read: strawman).

I believe Taco merely means to say, the Dev team are open to suggestions, but they won't plead for you to stay. You have the right to leave at any time.

People see what they want to see in many cases. He wants to see this so that is what he sees (devs telling everyone they can just leave) and leaves the context of the statement out. By tonight it will have taken twists and turns and it will be completely misused.

Anyhow I take most of what I read with a grain of salt and have not found any actually evidence other then players say so that Geko is as people paint him as either. Its counter productive to their goal of you know building a game and having enough people play and pay for stuff to keep said game alive.

People get mad because they want the game to be exactly like they picture in their heads. Unfortunately there are eleventy seventy million different takes and slants on things and they are just building one game not eleventy seventy games. For the most part the game is good and it entertains me. Like any other product when it stops being entertaining I stop well paying them money and go find something else to entertain me. Perhaps 2 years later I will turn back to said item and find they have added something else to entertain me.

Anyhow my biggest beef is the q systems which admittedly I dont use as much as the rest of the game but it seems wrong in its current form because of the issue of the autofail and potential in pugs for griefers to mess up stuff. Yet the q system is a system built for casual pugging (hence the quick play feature being the first thing your presented with upon opening it up) . If they dont change the q system that is fine I just wont use it very much lol /shrug

I will use it for fleet marks or maybe I will switch to some kind of system patrol but i kind of find those patrols very borring.. Anyhow whatevers really :)

The rest of the delta stuff is balacning which they are doing over time as they progress (this is normal) and bug fixes which despite what people think is probably the hardest part and some bugs just can't be fixed because they can't find the true cause

...sometimes they think they are fixed but they only found one partial cause so it breaks 2 days later (this too is normal and its impossible to have something 100% bug free especially in an mmorpg which are in general held together with string and paper clips lol)
  • Options
    illyrian2008illyrian2008 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    askray wrote: »
    I just LOL'd at this. Very nicely put :P:P:P

I just LOL'd at this reply, very nice when you pals stick together :P

Not that I would expect anything else from SUPER moderator.
  • Options
    vegie0vegie0 Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    I am not saying Taco was or is correct in everything he says or does.
    Regarding his post in this thread, I strongly disagree.

But I won't put Taco on the same level on which I put Geko or "the invisible man" D'Angelo. Because I might disagree with Taco from time to time, but he has done nothing to deserve the disgust I feel towards his bosses.

Im glad you still like him, but I was told to get out, I am sharing that with my entire fleet. We play a lot of games and make use of TS3. We love this game, but we need to be aware that we are not needed. With that statement, it almost clarifies our position.

We are nothing more then Piggy Banks according to that. I will however if he recants or clarifies that we are appreciated, then fine, ill share that with them too. But as it stands now, we are preparing for this game to die. Because we are not wanted. I hope for the best, but my friends and I are not going to expect a lot, when we are free to leave.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    not Really.

Geko Chose On Multiple Occasions To Be A Condescending Prick Towards His Customers.
    Taco, On The Other Hand, Delivers Some Outstanding Work And Interacts With The Community On A Regular Basis - In A Mostly Good Way.

He Tends To Speak His Mind From Time To Time, But I Can Respect That. As Opposed To Geko, D'angelo Or Others.

There Certainly Is A Difference Between Taco And The Pure Evil That Is Geko. Xd

+1

/120
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Im glad you still like him, but I was told to get out, I am sharing that with my entire fleet. We play a lot of games and make use of TS3. We love this game, but we need to be aware that we are not needed. With that statement, it almost clarifies our position.

We are nothing more then Piggy Banks according to that. I will however if he recants or clarifies that we are appreciated, then fine, ill share that with them too. But as it stands now, we are preparing for this game to die. Because we are not wanted. I hope for the best, but my friends and I are not going to expect a lot, when we are free to leave.
    Dude, would you stop for a minute and actually think about this? I'm trying to tell you he didn't say 'get out', just that he made a statement, and that we shouldn't take it as such

I'm sorry for the wording, but your intractable-ness with that particular bit has gotten to me
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    trek21 wrote: »
    You think he metaphorically did so - I maintain he just stated a fact, and accepted it as such, no door involved whatsoever

There's no good reason to take it as an insult at all, seriously - and given the choice, I'd rather not take it as an insult than take it as one anyway

Of course he's a member of Cryptic; that is not in question. But my point is that everything he does is not because the company is telling him to do so; he did this on his own, and we should appreciate that

And what exactly do you have to bolster that claim except your wishful thinking?

He could have discussed the art, graphics or environment.
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited November 2014

You have every right to be aggravated. For many reasons.
    I can only tell you that Taco tends to be one of the good guys. That may be a classic "good cop" thing, but I believe in his honesty for multiple reasons.
    He just comes off as an honest guy.

But if you do not believe me, that is your right - especially in the light of Cryptic's latest ****ing ups.
    In my opinion though, Geko and D'Angelo are far, far, far, far more responsible for this mess.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I cant help you. If you refuse to look at it from both perspectives, you choose to. I see him in ONE post, tell us we can leave TWICE!!!! Seriously, that can NOT be anything but an insult. I dont car if it was directed at 3% of the population or 93%... it is telling us that the individual captain does not matter. You are here by insignificant. Could he have ment it differently? Maybe?

But until HE or some other CRYPTIC TEAM member comes in and clarifies, we have what HE said. Which is that we can leave. You can not speak for them. Only they can say.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Dude, would you stop for a minute and actually think about this? I'm trying to tell you he didn't say 'get out', just that he made a statement, and that we shouldn't take it as such

I'm sorry for the wording, but your intractable-ness with that particular bit has gotten to me

Then he needed to make a clearer statement, didn't he?

Better yet, he should keep his artsy-fartsy self from making such statements as forums are volatile.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    And what exactly do you have to bolster that claim except your wishful thinking?

He could have discussed the art, graphics or environment.
    Common sense? He is a human being, and he's payed to do work... none of which is related to this thread. Even damage control, as you might see it, isn't part of his job (or duty to Cryptic)

And yet he came in anyway, trying to cool heads. I appreciate that, even if it's fallen on mostly deaf ears

And edit; the 300 seconds has been changed to 120. Cool :)
    I cant help you. If you refuse to look at it from both perspectives, you choose to. I see him in ONE post, tell us we can leave TWICE!!!! Seriously, that can NOT be anything but an insult. I dont car if it was directed at 3% of the population or 93%... it is telling us that the individual captain does not matter. You are here by insignificant. Could he have ment it differently? Maybe?

But until HE or some other CRYPTIC TEAM member comes in and clarifies, we have what HE said. Which is that we can leave. You can not speak for them. Only they can say.
    I do see both perspectives - I simply don't believe that being told we can leave at any time (a reality) is an insult, period. Taco saying it doesn't change that, and I'm hoping you can see the same; we don't need his clarification to make that determination
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Not good enough.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I can only tell you that Taco tends to be one of the good guys. That may be a classic "good cop" thing, but I believe in his honesty for multiple reasons.

But if you do not believe me, that is your right - especially in the light of Cryptic's latest ****ing ups.
    In my opinion though, Geko and D'Angelo are far, far, far, far more responsible for this mess.

There are no good guys, there is company policy, privately he probably is nice and honest but publicly he is one of the faces of Cryptic.

Chalk it to good man in a bad cause if you like, makes no difference in the end.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I just LOL'd at this reply, very nice when you pals stick together :P

Not that I would expect anything else from SUPER moderator.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQOWHmP6P5U

Note: I would link the actual video however it has nudity and as such, wouldn't be allowed on the forums and for those that don't want to watch it - It's the I'm Super thanks for asking! Video from South Park's movie.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    edited November 2014

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar, I respect that you want to give him the benefit of the doubt. Which is why people like you I show some measure of faith twords, your Opinion is not forged in iron. And you believe it is OK to be angry, that is a sign of a truly calm person. I hope you are right, I would like some more measure of proof, perhaps he could come in and clarify that he was angry, or that we took it wrong.

You should stay on the forums, you dont strike me as a Cryptic Fan Boy, you strike me as somebody that just likes the game. Kudos to you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Not good enough.
    It was still needed imo; both to contain the influx of hate (which we don't need more of), and to prevent the oft-happening several dozens of threads for the same topic at the reveal of something/anything new
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Common sense? He is a human being, and he's payed to do work... none of which is related to this thread. Even damage control, as you might see it, isn't part of his job (or duty to Cryptic)

And yet he came in anyway, trying to cool heads. I appreciate that, even if it's fallen on mostly deaf ears

I do see both perspectives - I simply don't believe that being told we can leave at any time (a reality) is an insult, period. Taco saying it doesn't change that, and I'm hoping you can see the same; we don't need his clarification to make that determination

Yes, your hero in a shining armour didn't get the reception he so richly deserves.

He came to control damage for his boss, nothing else or he wouldn't post on official Cryptic account.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Once again, taco cannot fix these bugs so :P

I agree, we need better tools. Even smirk thinks that. What we REALLY BADLY NEED is the report button. The system works fine and dandy but the button was removed. Why? Honestly we don't know and we've asked for it back and it's not happening. I've even offered the code for it (because I've used vbulletin for years) but nope heh. This one little object would make a huge difference in our day to day operation. It'd make it a lot easier to handle the forums when it's just us 3.

It would be nice to have a report button but they get abused too and it would be nice for mods to be able to edit the bad bits of a thread out and reopen threads but that is also very time consuming but part of the forum issues here are due to lack of tools.
    You have a lot of freedom on this forum that you guys don't realize. I've seen and worked on forums that dealt with communities as large as this be a lot more of a tight rope to walk on. You post one bad thing about a dev or the company and BOOM out the door you went.

Of course with this lack of tools comes a lot more latitude. Try posting on SOE forums this is a very interesting experience and they are well known for their over the top excessive moderation (I call it kamakazee moderation). SOE moderation is actually very funny lol. Anyhow most of what happens here would have had people banned by the bucket load just because of their moderation methods. :D

In most cases on those forums I am pretty sure if their devs posted as players they too would be banned lol.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Yes, your hero in a shining armour didn't get the reception he so richly deserves.

He came to control damage for his boss, nothing else or he wouldn't post on official Cryptic account.
    ...why does it always come back to this?

Just because I'm defending them, defending reasonable facts and statements, doesn't mean that I say/think/claim that they can do (haven't done) no wrong. It's not that clear-cut; very little is that clear-cut

He posts on official Cryptic account because that draws attention to what he's saying; otherwise he'd be just another voice in this hateful thread, and he wouldn't be heard. Which wouldn't get much of anywhere, just as I seem to be doing, because of blindness...
    Oh right, any piece of polished *** with STO logo on it is A-OK in your book.

I sincerely hope you get lots and lots of them.

Naturally, if we were singing praises to your Precious then 3 sec delay would be too much.
    See above this quote - being on their side doesn't mean I'm a fanboy. That's one who sees the image, not works with the reality of things (of how I see them admittedly), of which I do the latter
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    It was still needed imo; both to contain the influx of hate (which we don't need more of), and to prevent the oft-happening several dozens of threads for the same topic at the reveal of something/anything new

Oh right, any piece of polished *** with STO logo on it is A-OK in your book.

I sincerely hope you get lots and lots of them.

Naturally, if we were singing praises to your Precious then 3 sec delay would be too much.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Smirk isn't his boss and actually NO developer is required to post on the forums. If you want them to not post at all ever again, by all means folks. Keep up the flaming and insults towards them. You won't see a developer here again after awhile and then you'll complain they don't come on the forums. But yet..who's fault is that?

And yes, that's a blunt but very fair answer. Don't like it? Too bad. I'm tired of trying to be nice here and since my opinions are still my own that is what it is.

The ONLY people required to be on these forums are the Community Managers. They forward all information to Cryptic and they do with it as they please. Sure, they get blog posts from dev's but they can do that in an e-mail and still never touch the forums.

Yep, lets keep attacking dev's because they post their opinions or try to help explain things... because that JUST TOTALLY WORKS! :rolleyes:
    ummax wrote: »
    It would be nice to have a report button but they get abused too and it would be nice for mods to be able to edit the bad bits of a thread out and reopen threads but that is also very time consuming but part of the forum issues here are due to lack of tools.

Of course with this lack of tools comes a lot more latitude. Try posting on SOE forums this is a very interesting experience and they are well known for their over the top excessive moderation (I call it kamakazee moderation). SOE moderation is actually very funny lol. Anyhow most of what happens here would have had people banned by the bucket load just because of their moderation methods. :D

In most cases on those forums I am pretty sure if the devs posted as players they too would be banned lol.
    I got banned a few times at the SOE forums hehe. So yeah I know how they are ;)
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.

• Options
    patrokoluspatrokolus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If the majority of the forums is unhappy with certain changes made then it's likely that the majority not in the forum feel the same way. I am in a fleet with 200 casual members. The fleet is basically inactive since DR, if I am lucky 2-3 people login, before it was regularly 10-15 members online.

But what I don't get, if Cryptic Devs (and Mods) would play the game themselves, would they not come to the same conclusion that it is too much of grind now? I havent found anybody in-game so far which is excited to grind 150k XP per spec point or spend so much Dil/EC to upgrade to Mk XIV Epic.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You have a lot of freedom on this forum that you guys don't realize. I've seen and worked on forums that dealt with communities as large as this be a lot more of a tight rope to walk on. You post one bad thing about a dev or the company and BOOM out the door you went.

I have to agree. We're getting a lot of leeway when it comes to voicing disparaging things about the Devs. That has always surprised me. :) And, much as it pains me to admit it, allowing us to do so is to Cryptic's credit.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Smirk isn't his boss and actually NO developer is required to post on the forums. If you want them to not post at all ever again, by all means folks. Keep up the flaming and insults towards them. You won't see a developer here again after awhile and then you'll complain they don't come on the forums. But yet..who's fault is that?

And yes, that's a blunt but very fair answer. Don't like it? Too bad. I'm tired of trying to be nice here and since my opinions are still my own that is what it is.

The ONLY people required to be on these forums are the Community Managers. They forward all information to Cryptic and they do with it as they please. Sure, they get blog posts from dev's but they can do that in an e-mail and still never touch the forums.

Yep, lets keep attacking dev's because they post their opinions or try to help explain things... because that JUST TOTALLY WORKS! :rolleyes:

Funny, they appeared after the flaming and forum bombardment, not before.

You? Nice? Ahahaha, good one, thank you for clarification.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    patrokolus wrote: »
    If the majority of the forums is unhappy with certain changes made then it's likely that the majority not in the forum feel the same way. I am in a fleet with 200 casual members. The fleet is basically inactive since DR, if I am lucky 2-3 people login, before it was regularly 10-15 members online.

But what I don't get, if Cryptic Devs (and Mods) would play the game themselves, would they not come to the same conclusion that it is too much of grind now? I havent found anybody in-game so far which is excited to grind 150k XP per spec point or spend so much Dil/EC to upgrade to Mk XIV Epic.

Um...I've been a player since beta, I play as much as possible considering I have a full time job, and a family now, So roughly 2-4 times a week, I have numerous friends that actually still play STO so I know how the game is :P Also I've already given my opinion on crafting before. Just not in the "lets torch the world" kind of line.

• Options
    edited November 2014

(I dont think that is fair, the anger here is that we were told in no uncertain words where the door is to leave. We did not force him to make that statement. He did that of his own free will. Please see that this makes us upset, I am, and most of my friends are waiting for some kind of respons... Something... Anything to clarify that this is not what Cryptic believes.)

(Yes your opinions are your own. How did you take his message? Can you honestly say it is not the smallest bit offensive?)

(We are not so much attacking, atleast I am not. I want an appology, as I see that I am owed one for being told to leave. That means no matter if I quit or not, I am not important enough to matter.)

Please see it from the side of those offended. You have closed threads for less offensive things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I think this is proof you're wearing the hate-colored glasses right now

They always listen, reading the forums on and off as they can, occasionally responding to bug reports and other such issues (the dev tracker keeps track that way). They're not required to post at all (no matter what, including flaming like now), but they still do of their own free will.

I appreciate it
    Please see it from the side of those offended. You have closed threads for less offensive things.
    vegie0, I acknowledge that you are offended... but in that, you're believing that you were shown the door, when you never were in the first place, but continue to believe that you have :/ The issue simply isn't with the statement Taco made
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    edited November 2014

*looks at the dev tracker*

Nope...dev's have never been around on the forums until flaming happened....

I don't remember talking to dev's before a few weeks ago. I think you're a little jaded on the subject dude.

• Options
    edited November 2014

I guarantee you that most people here would be banned and have a bucket load of warnings within 24 hours of posting if you posted there like you do here.

On top of it they have this wierd system where you can get in trouble for participating in threads and not reporting things. So If i quoted a guy who quoted a guy who got banned I got a warning for not reporting the guy who the other guy quoted.
This discussion has been closed.