What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How do you want it Cryptic?

Comments

• Options
    aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Interesting. Cryptic/pwe can blame the players, accuse people of cheating, put out a release with documented game breaking bugs BUT they will work with us if we can be civil?

Civility works both ways, you can't release vaguely worded letters accusing your players of cheating, and anyone who says they weren't of being a liar, and demand you be treated with respect and even deference.

You don't release software with documented game ruining bugs reported by players and ignored, and take four weeks to even try to fix them; and then tell players you are ready to work with them if they can identify problem areas without anger. All in the name of civility, old chap.

You don't demand communication when you give none. When people complain about it you set a timer to prevent people from posting more than once every 300 seconds.

Yes, civility is a two way street. Some people could be nicer posting. Cryptic is first and foremost among those.

Exactly. This much times infinity. How dare ye come to the forums and preach to the choir when your business has much to practice on it's own. A very 'hypocrpytical' statement there Mr. Smirk.
  • Options
    giveroffacialsgiveroffacials Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    aoax10 wrote: »
    Exactly. This much times infinity. How dare ye come to the forums and preach to the choir when your business has much to practice on it's own. A very 'hypocrpytical' statement there Mr. Smirk.

Love the sig photo!
    Space the final frontier. These are the voyages of [your name here] on a five year mission to gain one level after the delta rising xp nerf.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    specopssec31specopssec31 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Keep things civil. Don't hurl insults or slurs. At staff or other Forum users. Don't blame a culture or group for something that has no basis in such an accusation. Don't attack in order to be heard.

We value player feedback and we want to hear from our players, all of them. We simply ask you to help us work together, not condemn each other for wanting different things, or our teammates for doing their jobs to the best of their abilities.

As we approach the holiday season, let's work to make things better for all of us here in the STO Forums, and in-game.

~CaptainSmirk

To make things better for all of us here cryptic/pwe should

*stop lying to players (there is no xp nerf...)
    *not only value Player feedback, also listen to it and act accordingly
    *make game changes for the players, not for PWEs wallet

At the moment, in my opinion, STO is like a empty, scuttled hulk of a ship with most of the escape pods already launched, waiting for the final quantum torpedo to hit. And I am not even sure if I will miss it all that much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    To make things better for all of us here cryptic/pwe should

*stop lying to players (there is no xp nerf...)
    *not only value Player feedback, also listen to it and act accordingly
    *make game changes for the players, not for PWEs wallet

At the moment, in my opinion, STO is like a empty, scuttled hulk of a ship with most of the escape pods already launched, waiting for the final quantum torpedo to hit. And I am not even sure if I will miss it all that much.

Yeah its that bad in the game now that everyone is KDF now. We wanted equality for our faction so this was their answer :)
  • Options
    dius1981dius1981 Member Posts: 500
    edited November 2014
    To StoneLoki,

To try and answer your question, the best way you can help to post feedback and continue to work with your fleetmates to keep things moving forward for the betterment of STO, I recommend the following.

Your OP is well written and not inflammatory at all, IMO. Keep writing like that. It is a clear and concise question and shows that you want to work with staff, mods and devs alike, to work to better STO for all.

Bravo and my thanks for wanting to do so.

Best thing any member of our forum can do is learn the TOS and the layout of these forums to help keep reports and discussion in the right locations, and with the right intentions. To build up, not to tear down.

Bug Reports go to the Gameplay Bug Reports section, not General Discussion, etc. If you post in the wrong area, your message may get lost in a sea of other posts.

In-game issues affecting your account are best handled with tickets and the Support page. As well as issues that are only happening in-game, such as chat violations (make sure these are reported via in-game ticket with date & time so our CS team can view chat logs). Be patient and descriptive when submitting these tickets as they are handled by a staff other then who handles the forums.

Try your best to focus your discussion and not attack. Especially not the staff members trying to help, or a staff member who has nothing to do with the issue at hand. For instance the last week has seen a lot of discontent over bugs directed at TacoFangs who works in Environment Design. That is not going to lead to a fix, and will only result in potentially alienating a friendly and caring dev who enjoys interacting with the players.

Keep things civil. Don't hurl insults or slurs. At staff or other Forum users. Don't blame a culture or group for something that has no basis in such an accusation. Don't attack in order to be heard.

Remember that every situation is as different as every game out there. What worked in WoW doesn't work in SWTOR.

Also remember that the various staff members who work on STO do love Star Trek, myself included, and many of us played STO before we worked here. This forum is a prime example of the many varied and nuanced views and versions of what it means to be a Star Trek fan. Not all of us love it for the same reason, or look at the history of the franchise in exactly the same way.

Variety is the spice of life, and that is what makes Star Trek so appealing. It is literally a representation of a Universe full of IDIC (Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations) and STO pools all of these franchise branches into one cohesive pace for us all to get together to enjoy them, together.

It is fine to not like something, in-game or out. It is fine to state that. Where we have to draw a line is when that difference in taste or of opinion is turned into a weapon to attack those who like something someone else dislikes.

We value player feedback and we want to hear from our players, all of them. We simply ask you to help us work together, not condemn each other for wanting different things, or our teammates for doing their jobs to the best of their abilities.

As we approach the holiday season, let's work to make things better for all of us here in the STO Forums, and in-game.

Thanks everyone,
    ~CaptainSmirk

This is pretty much BS...

Even with constructive / non constructive feedback. PwE ignores players concerns and will do what ever the hell they want to do, regardless.

SKILL POINTS ISSUE anyone ;)

My advise, scream / shout & rage.
    PwE will either listen and not act, or not listen and not act LOLz.

Makes little difference anyway you cut it.

D,
    OMEGA ARMADA & House of Beautiful Orions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please keep the QQ to a minimum.
    >>>PUNISH THE FEDs<<<
    >>>Positive Feedback from a PvE HERO<<<
  • Options
    specopssec31specopssec31 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    dius1981 wrote: »
    This is pretty much BS...

Even with constructive / non constructive feedback. PwE ignores players concerns and will do what ever the hell they want to do, regardless.

SKILL POINTS ISSUE anyone ;)

My advise, scream / shout & rage.
    PwE will either listen and not act, or not listen and not act LOLz.

Makes little difference anyway you cut it.

D,

Doesn't really matter if users shout & rage or silently suffer whatever grind and nerf coming up next. I think this game is beyond redeemable already.
    Most people accepted that devs simply do not care if you enjoy playing this game, if PWE orders to color all fed ships pink they will do it, no questions asked.

The only way to repair things would be to implement a thing like the council of stellar management in EVE, basically a democratic representation of players. But I doubt this would work in ST:O because they simply would not listen even to them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    illyrian2008illyrian2008 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited November 2014

(/long post/)

My God, you have gall.

Bug report in proper format after bugs have been festering literally for years unattended?

Nothing inflammatory, like you would even grace this forum if it wasn't trice burned over.

And best of all is don't blame a culture or a group? So you deny there is "Asian grinder" game model, best of all are you claiming that People's Republic of China isn't a one-party totalitarian state?

No, please enlighten me, I was born and lived in communism until my teenage years but obviously you know more of communist modus operandi. Then again I don't get my paycheck from such a place so I don't have to defend it.

And final insult to injury, we should work together?

What "we"?

You at Cryptic messed up, you fix it, there is no we.
  • Options
    varekraithvarekraith Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    To StoneLoki,

To try and answer your question, the best way you can help to post feedback and continue to work with your fleetmates to keep things moving forward for the betterment of STO, I recommend the following.

Your OP is well written and not inflammatory at all, IMO. Keep writing like that. It is a clear and concise question and shows that you want to work with staff, mods and devs alike, to work to better STO for all.

Bravo and my thanks for wanting to do so.

Best thing any member of our forum can do is learn the TOS and the layout of these forums to help keep reports and discussion in the right locations, and with the right intentions. To build up, not to tear down.

Bug Reports go to the Gameplay Bug Reports section, not General Discussion, etc. If you post in the wrong area, your message may get lost in a sea of other posts.

In-game issues affecting your account are best handled with tickets and the Support page. As well as issues that are only happening in-game, such as chat violations (make sure these are reported via in-game ticket with date & time so our CS team can view chat logs). Be patient and descriptive when submitting these tickets as they are handled by a staff other then who handles the forums.

Try your best to focus your discussion and not attack. Especially not the staff members trying to help, or a staff member who has nothing to do with the issue at hand. For instance the last week has seen a lot of discontent over bugs directed at TacoFangs who works in Environment Design. That is not going to lead to a fix, and will only result in potentially alienating a friendly and caring dev who enjoys interacting with the players.

Remember that every situation is as different as every game out there. What worked in WoW doesn't work in SWTOR.

Also remember that the various staff members who work on STO do love Star Trek, myself included, and many of us played STO before we worked here. This forum is a prime example of the many varied and nuanced views and versions of what it means to be a Star Trek fan. Not all of us love it for the same reason, or look at the history of the franchise in exactly the same way.

Variety is the spice of life, and that is what makes Star Trek so appealing. It is literally a representation of a Universe full of IDIC (Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations) and STO pools all of these franchise branches into one cohesive pace for us all to get together to enjoy them, together.

It is fine to not like something, in-game or out. It is fine to state that. Where we have to draw a line is when that difference in taste or of opinion is turned into a weapon to attack those who like something someone else dislikes.

Thanks everyone,
    ~CaptainSmirk

We tried being civil. People have been pointing out stuff for years that's still broken. They've pointed out stuff on tribble that still isn't fixed. You've knowingly released broken content. You've ignored the feedback until people started throwing bombs. And even now, you're only doing damage control. I see little to no action with regards to bugs and gameplay issues. Only pretty and snarky words.

I'll only consider trusting you again if you actually concentrate on bugfixing, gameplay and balancing. A pure bugfix/balance season would go a long way to showing you really are serious about this.
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    My God, you have gall.

Bug report in proper format after bugs have been festering literally for years unattended?

Nothing inflammatory, like you would even grace this forum if it wasn't trice burned over.

And best of all is don't blame a culture or a group? So you deny there is "Asian grinder" game model, best of all are you claiming that People's Republic of China isn't a one-party totalitarian state?

No, please enlighten me, I was born and lived in communism until my teenage years but obviously you know more of communist modus operandi. Then again I don't get my paycheck from such a place so I don't have to defend it.

And final insult to injury, we should work together?

What "we"?

You at Cryptic messed up, you fix it, there is no we.

I agree with everything except that part about China and Communism.
    See, I really doubt that has a place in this debate. Chinese party politics are hardly involved in the Asian grind model. South Korea is known for it, which is not Communist. There reallly is no correlation there in my opinion.

This debate only distracts from the urgent matters.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    @Smirk:

I respect you for coming out and posting. The negative feedback might be overwhelming right now, but Kudos for that.

Still, I have to admit that I don't buy your arguments.
    In short: you had it all. By "you" I mean Cryptic. The forums were always rather toxic, but never to this extent. Just go to the Bug Testing section and you'll find well thought out feedback in the right format.

There is an ongoing escalation and polarization in this community, though. The majority is being disgruntled, while some holdouts are fiercly defending Cryptic - in some cases even with very good arguments on both sides.
    This is your doing (talking about Cryptic in general again).
    You do have one of the most passionate, loyal and - I say it! - dumb fandoms on earth to milk. Trekkies are known to love their Trek, and Cryptic seems to think they can sell everything as long as they write "Star Trek" on it.

That works only to a certain extent. Nonstop trying to find the limits of that strategy will, in the end, ruin you.
    And rightfully so.
    I am not saying you shouldn't be focused on money. You are a business, so that's fine.
    I am just afraid you are selling out this game's future by milking what is left of Trek love in us, just to realize in a few months that sales are breaking down and you are beyond the point of no return.

Surely there is a strategy behind all the stuff happened with DR and therafter. Maybe you can even pad Geko and D'angelo on the backs right now, because you get more money then ever, while the player numbers still are in decline.
    You'll get money from the whales, sure. But as soon as the number of "ordinary" players sunk below some critical mass, the whales are going to follow. There is no reason for a whale to be a whale if there are ONLY other whales around.

So, we can surely keep stuff civil. But you have to see that you guys yourselves managed to make this forums even more antagonistic then ever - which is an enormous feat in itself.
    Cryptic is the main driving force for escalation. Every patch day is feared by us at this point. What will you break? What will you nerf? What will you take away?
    Is this the kind of attitude you want from your community?
    You lie (XP nerf). You warp the facts (Japorigate). You use smoke and mirrors (yet another XP nerf) and cheap tricks (300 seconds) to silence the guys paying your bills.

So yeah. You really should preach to your bosses, Smirk, before preaching to us. With all due respect.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    stonelokistoneloki Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm right there with you on them taking things away. When the rep system was reworked I was extremely upset, I took a long break from sto at that point then returned when I could be more civil about it. I upset a lot of Fleet mates because I simply could not let it go at the time, and I knew then that staying was only hurting those around me.

At that time it didn't make sense, people were screaming about power creep, and how it was all about the rep system, which in reality it wasn't. But that was a point, and it was used to remove a power system in this game that made them no money. If you can become so much more powerful with all those reps and all it took was a little grinding, well to not bank on that is a problem, so they changed it.

Now some of the most powerful space traits are ship based, ships you must pay for, and now it makes sense.

I wouldn't have any problem with that, if it wasn't stated then that they were trying to STOP power creep. This now proves that it was a movement surrounded by financing, which I again wouldn't have any problem with if they had said that in the first place.

This thread was started to get some real communication in place, you see that most of the fans of this game that post here just want honesty, I think you will find that simply being upfront would save a lot of time and hassle for everyone involved in it.

No smoke, NO mirriors, just tell us the way it is, we will appreciate it a lot more than the current line we are hearing.
    2p1n3_by_rainrivermusic-d6fyhfm_zpsemwlec9g.gif
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2014
    OP - Post to the forums. Make your posts polite, and legible (punctuation and breaking up walls of text are important skills), don't insult anyone (devs or players). Sadly, after that, you have no control over what others do. And in general, it's what others do later in a thread that gets the thread closed.

Also note that closed threads are not invisible threads. I often read through a thread only to find when I go to reply, that it's already been closed. So the initial feedback is not necessarily lost.

equinox976 wrote: »
    They do not care what we think, here is a quote of the link you supplied:

They clearly have NOT listened (they have never even bothered to listen to feedback from tribble - people using their own time to help clean the devs bugs up) and it is clear from the above post, that the developers do not see the players as the people who should decide how the game runs (you know... the people who pay their wages and keep the servers running...), they simply see the idea of creating a game that the players want, as some kind of foreign novel idea.

Kickstarter funding has shown that the biggest and best games are made when people are involved in the game making process, making a game for the people who pay for it, rather than to stroke the dev's own ego about what 'they' think would be best.

Its clear that what the devs want and what the players want are polar opposites (particularly of late). And they would do well to remember, that it is the players who pay for the game - no players - no game - no job.

As you are quoting me, I feel the need to respond. We absolutely do listen. (I have a list of Voyager Interior bugs I'll be working through, that all came from the forums) Your feedback is valuable, and we take it to heart. My point in the portion you quoted, is that we are the people paid to make the game. This is not design by committee. We are a company, who makes a product. We try to cater our product to our consumers. However, each of you consumers has the absolute right, at any given moment, to choose whether or not to continue using our product.

Again, that does not mean that your feelings/ideas/feedback on our product are worthless or ignored. But what it means is that on any given issue we are going to hear 1000 different responses, many of which contradict each other. We will then weigh all of that info, along with anything else that is pertinent to the issue, and make our own choices that WE feel are in the best interest of the game.

If you disagree with our choices, please let us know. If you severely disagree with our choices, you are free to stop using our product at any time.

ummax wrote: »
    Its possible to give constructive criticism without it devolving into some sort of slur.

Leave out any judgement calls for one thing and relay information objectively and leave any personal emotion out of it.

so dont use words to label people or cryptic be civil and explain the actual problem. Its not really hard.

Its on both sides of the "argument" here and remember if you want to be treated with respect you need to also behave in a respectful manner.

For instance referring to the company according to your bias towards well their country of origin its not a good way to get your point across.

People calling others "whiners" and using words like "troll" , "apologist" to describe someone who does not agree with you is not good. Using phrases like "self entitled" these are all judgement calls and words to describe people based on some perception you have (like stereoytping according to country of origin).

Leave all that out along with any words that are more emotional responses then actually anything else you probably are gonna do okay. Threads get closed often because they start to devolve into name calling of some sort.

ALL OF THIS!

mavfin wrote: »
    Actually, that's a big misconception in MMOs. Usually, the forum population is less than 10%, often less than 5% of the playerbase. So, there is no 'speaking for the majority' on the forums.

Last I heard, our forums are around 3% of our in game population.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    dius1981dius1981 Member Posts: 500
    edited November 2014
    Hey Taco,

What about the pink elefant in the room...

Skill Points grind Issue - Will this ever be addressed?

D,
    OMEGA ARMADA & House of Beautiful Orions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please keep the QQ to a minimum.
    >>>PUNISH THE FEDs<<<
    >>>Positive Feedback from a PvE HERO<<<
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hey Taco,

D,

apparently there are 1000 different opinions on that matter, so they need time to weigh.
  • Options
    stonelokistoneloki Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »

If you disagree with our choices, please let us know. If you severely disagree with our choices, you are free to stop using our product at any time.

That's the god honest truth here, like it or not and many will disagree if you dislike it all that much why are you still around.

We as a community on the forums have a right to say something, we always will, however to completely disrespect the people doing the work will get us nowhere.

I have beefs with the game in its present state, many of us do, and I am seeing more and more that the solution to this is simply state your concerns, keep stating them, but do it in a way that may indeed get some results.

And if at the end of the day you can't stomach what they have done take a break, as long as it takes, return, if you still don't like it no one is forcing you to keep playing.
    2p1n3_by_rainrivermusic-d6fyhfm_zpsemwlec9g.gif
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    And in general, it's what others do later in a thread that gets the thread closed.

Which begs the question, why must the decent people pay the price for someone's trolling/inflammatory comments?

Not to ***** on moderation, because Askray and Bluegeek are volunteering their time, and I greatly appreciate their efforts to keep civility in the forums. But I feel that our volunteer moderators need more effective moderation tools.

The Forum ToS needs to be revisited and updated, so Mods have greater legal power to isolate single posts and delete them when they are in clear violation of the ToS. Also, the ToS needs to protect forum users from unfair censorship, and allow us to voice legitimate concerns regarding the game, Customer Service, the forum, etc.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Cryptic does listen, although until the past 3 weeks we were beginning to wonder. I've been here for all of the major launches of the past 4 years. In each and every case, there were issues. DR IMO broke the record for the largest clusterfrak in the games history. Almost all of the problems impacted a players quality of life in the game, and either by intentional design or ineptitude Cryptic has lost a significant number of players. The devs have admitted that some of the results of their labours did not have the intended effect they were looking for.

But then again, Tribble isn't true QA. Not for an MMO. Holodeck is the real QA environment, and I'm ok with that.

Indeed. Even if you want to quibble about numbers, drops, what's provable, and so on the point remains that DR as the biggest update/expansion yet (ie. in terms of development and lead up [since the dyson sphere the DQ has been foreshadowed), maybe not playable content) could have had a much more constructive impact. It (together with the new systems) could have made STO bigger and more engaging (in terms of playable space and gameplay, not just UI systems), rather than middling around the status quo (which I think is the most reasonable "review" of DR.)

Part of that is bad design (NPC health, crafting requirements, XP rate, UI overkill, and so on) but its also to do with how that design has been handled at other levels. I'm not one to ask that the demands of a forum be taken at face value (because there's other things going on one besides feedback) and the patch notes have generally been more helpful than otherwise, but they definitely need to try to hit closer to the mark with their big releases and respond to dysfunction more quickly (not in the sense of the Tau Dewa **** up but more the turn around for intuitive balance tweaks, like with crafting inputs and NPC health, which should only require a relatively small application of abstract reasoning).

They may eventually update their way to a more playable/enjoyable game, but through the frustration of sub-optimality they lose a lot of interest and enthusiasm, if not net players. More rapid changes may introduce greater risk, but being perpetually seen as indecisive may be worse for their role as developer.

Anyone can succeed through iteration. But to be good at your job you need to mostly succeed through original effort.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    karriqkarriq Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ill be blunt. First thing what companies like PW do - earning money. And they always trying to make some more. Its totaly okay. Its how world works. But something wrong is going on for sure. Releasing unchecked, untested and crawling with bugs content. Puting lies into patch notes (for example. patch notes says bug with spliting grouped players in delta is fixed. But its not.) PW released new content - okay. I need to spend some money on upgrade tokens and t6 ships? Done. I have no any problems with that. But... some things dosnt work. some is glitching and etc. Its obviously makes people mad. Plus there is a some pretty qeustionable changes in the game. So player paid for one thing, and got another. Its makes player mad(c)Captain obvious. Yeah i know. Your EULA made by best lawyers. And pw will not be punished for not doing their job properly. But what wrong if some guy, who spend some moeny and got some.. questionable product wants to blow some steam in this froum? Its only thing what he can do about it anyway. So why not?
  • Options
    vegie0vegie0 Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Well... That is that then... Nothing to see here. Move along... Yeah it is this mentality that drives people to leave the game, I am sorry but when you have a release like Legacy of Romulus, that was hugely successful in my opinion, and had enormous populations in game for months... I mean it was hard to even get online. Now you have Delta Rising, which was made with all the right intent but failed in practice. Let me demonstrate how "I" a lowely user am able to observe this.

The servers are super easy to get on... No wait times. (Maybe they upgraded?)
    The Intention of making a new way to GRIND... Not a great idea, yes it makes us play a LOT more. But it ultimately causes more issues then it solves. I judge that by the Ques going from OMG full, to just about barren... even the Delta Quadrant looks rather crowded, but its mostly AFK players. (Could there be a lot I am not seeing? Sure!)
    The Retaliatory Nerfs to the ability of players to reach end game content... This again was done to make us play more. But it really just made us bored. Seeing as the amount of content is not sufficient to keep us from repeating the same thing... over, and over. (Could this still be under Tweaking? Absolutely!)
    Now for wastes... Should you make a dance club, which from my perspective was an attempt at distracting us from the horrible lacking in content and utter failure of the new EXP system... I feel it was time that could have been put elsewhere, while im sure it was being designed and rendered long before Delta Rising was released... It still could be looked at as time that might have been better used making more ship interiors, more ships, more areas for combat and exploration. Really anything... (Could this have not distracted the development process? Could this just be something done in the spare time? Sure!)

But when you combine all of these things, you get a gigantic problem that can NOT be ignored, even your own stance is that of "Like my game or GET OUT". Im afraid that this is not what should be done, you see... we as a community pay your bills. We as a community are shrinking due to recent changes. Now has the game suddenly become lack luster? Yes and no. We obviously still LOVE this game, we appreciate all the fun it has given us. We demonstrated this with our financial support. You really dont have competetors either... I mean Star Citizen is a pipe dream, and ED is not coming out for a while. I urge you to read over the statements with a grain of salt. As you seem to think we hate this game. We love it, we just hate where it has gone recently. Nothing has changed with your consumers, we still have money to spend, and time to give. Something with the game has changed. Lowest... Common... Denominator...

Also, I am not winning any prizes for Spelling here....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    @tacofangs

(i know that you are just one of the guys working on the game and you are probably one of the guys who is doing a good job... but...)

How many of your customers have said "yes, thats what we have been waiting for" when you guys lowered all the rewards and made the game unplayable to most?

There are game breaking problems in STO because the developers have done decisions that are clearly not in the interest of the product or its customers.
    And after many weeks meanwhile we as customers don't have the feeling that we are been taking serious by the developers.

We don't get any info about the problems. We are getting told about improvements while the reality is looking absolutely different. -> see last weeks patch which made the xp reward problem even worse.
    We meanwhile have the feeling that the developers are lying to us for the fact that what they announce and what we finally can find the game appear to be totally different.

Every week the players are facing new terrible news about the game. New nerfs... higher difficulties... lower rewards... more bugs. And while the developers instantly jumped on the Japori exploit... shut down everything... did emergency fixes etc., we are meanwhile waiting for anything to happen on these game breaking issues that we face day by day in this game.
    Day by day, week by week we are getting disappointed.... no reaction from the developers... no fixes... not even mentioning the issues anywhere.

The customers... WE... are left alone in the dark by the devs and our concerns are not really being taken serious.

Just alone when I read stuff like
    Known Issues:

Gold and Ultra Rare Duty Officers do not correctly improve Success and Critical Success chances on assignments.
    Gamepads and Joysticks are not functioning as they previously did before the launch of Delta Rising.
    Caitian and Ferasan tails do not appear when wearing Club Wear.
    i have to ask myself "is that your only concern?" "are that really the only issues while the forum is on fire and the PVE queues empty?".
    Really... that does not how us how much you guys listen to our concerns... that does not show that we as customers are been of any importance to cryptic.
    That is pretty much a slap into the face to every player who logs on and read these patch notes.
    They reflect how much cryptic cares about the customers and where the priorities are set.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    vegie0 wrote: »

But when you combine all of these things, you get a gigantic problem that can NOT be ignored, even your own stance is that of "Like my game or GET OUT".

Or rather "We can't please everyone." There are >7 billion people and you could concievably poll them on their view of STO (assuming you could present it comprehensively enough to generate informed opinions as oppoesed to a multi-lingual "What the **** are you on about.") However I'll bet that ~7 billion people will give you an answer that cannot be reconciled against what cryptic wants their game to be (as a developer trying to create a product that a certain group of other people want to play) and what its possible for it to become. At that point of incompatable interests people should exercise their right to chose NOT to play this game. Forcing themselves to keep grinding away isn't beneficial to them nor is forcing cryptic to compromise their plans for STO likely to make a better game according to its own interests.

Though we may all hope to be one big happy, corporate, family, there are cases where going our seperate ways is in everyone's best interest. While that may be regretful to many, sad to some, and filled with more bile than a medical disposal site to a slim minority of others it (as with any relationship, and mind you I'm trying to be technical, not soppy) is something we should be mindful of in coming to terms with just how much we differ from a given developer.

STO will be as (when you get right down to it) history shapes it. The Dev's will try to manage it as best they can but that's a very limited process on all accounts. Deciding for yourself how much you want to be a part of that is only natural. Feedback I'm sure is helpful, but as in the case of ~7 billion other humans it shouldn't be assumed (particularly by the forums) that such feedback entitles you to a patch note. Give it when compelled, but if things still don't change just be mindful of your own interests (because that's simply healthy human behavior).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited November 2014

As you are quoting me, I feel the need to respond. (Yes, I am quoting you, you need to see what you tell us. And I am glad you responded. Saved us all time. I sincerly hope you redact your leave the game comment...)

We absolutely do listen. (I hope so, I really do, now you need to read what you write... it might make a lot of people mad)

However, each of you consumers has the absolute right, at any given moment, to choose whether or not to continue using our product. (This was not a good thing top say, tells us to get out if we don't have good things to say... Seriously?!?!?!)

Again, that does not mean that your feelings/ideas/feedback on our product are worthless or ignored. (This made me feel a bit better, till I read the part where I can get out again... Really? Are you listening if you are telling us to leave if we dont like what you did? We are your consumers, not poverty cases... We pay the bills here... The fact you dont see that hurts my feeling. We clearly love the game, your statements here make us feel like this is a Job, not something you love.)

We will then weigh all of that info, along with anything else that is pertinent to the issue, and make our own choices that WE feel are in the best interest of the game. (This, so much this, but will the game exist without us? Will you survive without the Vegie? Yep, im not that special... But will you survive a mass exodus of say 20% of the players? Probably not...)

If you disagree with our choices, please let us know. (We are doing that, here... aparently we are not supposed to. Atleast that is how it feels now. Since we can just leave...)

If you severely disagree with our choices, you are free to stop using our product at any time. (Very BAD, this upsets me and will upset others, please redact this and say it was a "Heat of the Moment" thing. I am sad when I lose a customer, and more sad when I lose a friend. Althought from your standpoint we should almost be the same. We love this game or we wouldn't be so volcal, Do NOT question our passion for all things Star Trek. Again... BAD...)

ALL OF THIS! (Yes... All of THIS)

Here Swatop, you didnt get to read the Important parts of Taco Fangs response. We currently have our answer. Its time to let it play out. I personally dont want the game to die. I want it to suffer a bit till they make it fun again. Then I will come running back with money and time in hand. But we obviously dont have a say.

Edited for an easy read. Re edited for easier read
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Here Swatop, you didnt get to read the Important parts of Taco Fangs response. We currently have our answer. Its time to let it play out. I personally dont want the game to die. I want it to suffer a bit till they make it fun again. Then I will come running back with money and time in hand. But we obviously dont have a say.

Edited for an easy read.

Gahhh, the blue font is unreadable!
  • Options
    swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Edited for an easy read.

Well, I guess Star Trek used to be a great experience for nearly 50 years which atm is at a turning point.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Gahhh, the blue font is unreadable!

Yeah sorry about that, But I wanted you to catch the stuff that kinda answered us. I hope he redacts that statement. It is really bad. But let us hope, maybe the game will change. It is why I haven't gone and gave all my stuff away and deleted the characters. I still wish to play, just not right now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    swatop wrote: »
    Well, I guess Star Trek used to be a great experience for nearly 50 years which atm is at a turning point.

God I hope not. Things like this will kill the game. Just now we wait to see if the Developers back up eachother and say "Greatest Release Ever", or if they intend to say, "Maybe we should do a few changes... maybe we should make it so the grind isnt so bad, maybe we should put out some polls... like we did with Legacy of Romulus???"... Maybe the hardships the game will soon face will influence change. Star Trek is a wonderful Idea, exploring the galaxy and making peace, using conquest as a last resort, or conquering your enemies. Making the world better as you see it. But here we are, seeing a Dominating force, seeing something we can not control. It always feels dangerous from the passenger seat. Just now the Driver told us, to either buckle up and deal with it, or get out and walk.

Good lord how many will rally behind that and WALK.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    illyrian2008illyrian2008 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Smirk and Taco playing good cop / bad cop routine on the forums.

I sincerely doubt we would be graced with so much activity if fat wasn't in the fire.
    (snip)
    (snip)

Yes, because feedback really has impact.

Taco to community: STFU or GTFO

Thank you Taco, glad you guys have a company policy towards customers all fleshed out.
    (snip)
    Last I heard, our forums are around 3% of our in game population.
    (snip)

Last I heard your "product" isn't even 3% of mmo market.
  • Options
    giveroffacialsgiveroffacials Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    OP - Post to the forums. Make your posts polite, and legible (punctuation and breaking up walls of text are important skills), don't insult anyone (devs or players). Sadly, after that, you have no control over what others do. And in general, it's what others do later in a thread that gets the thread closed.

Tacofangs,

There's the problem. Most of the forum community doesn't feel like they have been told the truth and certainly not respectfully. First Stephen D'angelo politely called a large group of players cheaters, and those who said the punitive action was taken against who weren't in that group, liars who were trying to get out of the penalty. Was any of that really true, NO. Was that respectful? What does it look like is valued more?

On top of that game crushing bugs, which still haven't been fixed, are seemingly ignored while Cryptic can pull off same day bug fixes for rewards being too high. huge XP changes are implemented with little or no warning. What impression does that send to players?

When people complain forum posting is limited to once every 300 seconds. Yet communication from Cryptic to players seems to still be almost nil. Does that sound like players opinions are values and acted upon?

I have nothing against any developer personally however, AS A COMPANY, Cryptic/PWE gives the distinct impression it doesn't value it's player base, not even enough to be truthful and respectful in it's communication.

The recent changes have completely refocused the game and hurt some players more than others. Players with multiple toons are extremely impacted especially by the "stealth XP change". Players have been pretty clear about how opposed they are to these changes and very little has been done, and in some cases we feel like we've been lied to. Does that sound like our feedback is valued?

You and CaptainSmirk can post all the messages you want about how badly players behave and how we need to be more civil, but the current firestorm began with heavy handed actions by Cryptic/PWE and until Cryptic employees start following their own advice and start treating players the way they want to be treated I don't see the situation getting much better. In fact I see the situation getting much worse, and when I check back in a few months I'll see what happened.

I cared about this game, I cared enough to make a forum account for the first time in years to try to get it fixed. I've failed, I've been worn down, I am mothballing my characters and taking the rather substantial amount of money I spend somewhere else, probably SWTOR. All I'm waiting for is the 100,000,000 in auctions I have on the exchange to close.
    Space the final frontier. These are the voyages of [your name here] on a five year mission to gain one level after the delta rising xp nerf.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    brantregarebrantregare Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hey Taco,

D,

There is NO ELEPHANT... it is certainly no pink!

What we see as crass grinding is in actuality a fun enhancing mechanism.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I think people are taking Taco's statement a little out of proportion (read: strawman).

I believe Taco merely means to say, the Dev team are open to suggestions, but they won't plead for you to stay. You have the right to leave at any time.
This discussion has been closed.