What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Open Question: Name ONE thing wrong with Delta Rising

Comments

• Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    OP is stacking the deck, loading the questions, and setting up a false argument before anybody can even respond.

Dare I ask, in response, for the OP to name JUST ONE thing wrong with Hitler?
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Difficulty has become unbalanced. the ability to take two to three typhoons in Mirror Incursion then damn near getting vapd by a vaadwaur frigate.. yeah some serious imbalance
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    OP is stacking the deck, loading the questions, and setting up a false argument before anybody can even respond.

Do you really need to invoke Godwin's Law this early in the thread?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited November 2014

He peed sitting down.
    I AM WAR.
  • Options
    talaxia1talaxia1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    My one thing is experience points. I have 14 characters but because of how little xp we get and how long it takes to get it I am forced to focus on my main. I never used to regret having lockbox ships on alts but now i wish I had given them all to my one main.
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Its turned STO into a massive grindfest, negating alt toons to a distant memory.
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Do you really need to invoke Godwin's Law this early in the thread?

You might think so, but no.

It's actually a valid example in this case. I could have also said "Ebola" or "name JUST ONE thing wrong with Joseph Stalin."

The point being to take a terrible terrible thing, an equivelant of our DR, and to be FORCED to acquiese to the devs and grovel by saying there's only one single thing wrong with it.

The sad thing is, it has been done too many times and has become a sign of a poor argument, which is unfortunate because IMO it was actually valid in this case.

It's a loaded/unfair question. It's a fallacy. He might as well have asked us if we've stopped beating our wives yet (regardless of your answer, it pre-supposes you were already to begin with).

And, P.S. Don't give me grief on the wife beating example. I'm not mysoginistic. It's a common example of this kind of fallacy taught in logic and philosophy classes.
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    What gets to me is the enormous HP buffers critters now have.

I didn't like hitting through walls of HP to defeat opponents in Guild Wars 2 and it was an especially huge turnoff in dungeons when that became exponential. I don't play Guildwars 2 today because of that. By contrast, Neverwinter encounters typically strike a good balance as to the damage/enemy HP ratio well enough to make combat viscerally satisfying.

Right now, STO is not hitting the mark at all. Even with mostly Mark 14 Epic-upgraded gear on one of my characters, I haven't seen much feasibility in accomplishing the content the Devs touted "You will be able to do this with that", making the whole upgrade process feel like a costly and unsatisfying exercise in futility. Upgrading to Mk XII seems worth it, but upgrading quality seems much less so - especially for the costs involved.
  • Options
    janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Delta Rising itself wasn't too bad (wasn't great... a poor second to Legacy of Romulus in adventure and ability to hold interest). But for me, the biggest single problem with Delta Rising is what's occurred since: the devs constantly chopping and changing XP, skillspoints, rewards systems so that we don't know from day-to-day what will do what. There was ZERO need to change skillspoints at all... it's just Rivera and D'Angelo being unable to cope with the fact that DR wasn't the money spinner they thought it would be. And they're killing off the game in some deluded doomed quest to force everyone to play their uninspired grindy DR content.
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The fact that endgame is still and will always be about personal advancement and acquisition of power through grinding or paying cash.

Pre-DR was exactly the same, except that the endgame plateau was easy to reach and there was nothing left to do. Now the new plateau is much higher and harder to climb, but that just throws the pointlessness of it into sharp relief. Reaching that plateau will reveal that there's nothing there. No endgame. No accomplishment. No exploration. No world-building. No territory control. No staying-power.

Instead of crafting an endgame where players can really achieve something meaningful to them and feel fulfilled by their activities, Cryptic have chosen to double down on making players toil or pay for treats and toys.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    It's actually a valid example in this case. I could have also said "Ebola" or "name JUST ONE thing wrong with Joseph Stalin."

The point being to take a terrible terrible thing, an equivelant of our DR, and to be FORCED to acquiese to the devs and grovel by saying there's only one single thing wrong with it.

Yes, because things like Hitler or the atrocities made by his party in World War II, or the very real horrors of the tragedies we're facing right now regarding the Ebola Virus, or the oppression and broken families created by the policies of Josef Stalin are the exact same thing as questionable decisions made by developers in a Star Trek video game.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    vegie0vegie0 Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well one Thing...

The feel of World of ********. To be honest the game just feels so Fantesy with Delta Rising. Although that might not Qualify since it has been going that way for a long time. You see the final boss fight in Delta Rising might help clarify.

You start the fight, he summons Rock Monsters... I mean minions... I mean... other Vaudwaar... yeah... then you fight him down and he summons Spider Demons... I mean... Star trek Parasites... err.... maybe some kind of Space Spider? :D? Then he comes back again with you and your WHOLE away team fighting him for a good 5 minutes... then he dies cursing you with his last breath to reveal the Treasure Room behind him. Wait thats not right, I mean the Command center, with all his technology secrets D:?

Yeah, it just feels like you need your Mage Robes with +10 to Manna and Casting... I mean, Science tool Kit with +10 to Particle generators and Insulators :D?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Needless to say, I think the Devs took the wrong turn at Albuquerque. Instead of giving us something meaningful to do at end game, they just doubled the time to get to end game without really giving us something to do.

They FUBAR'd on that one.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited November 2014

The sad thing is, it has been done too many times and has become a sign of a poor argument, which is unfortunate because IMO it was actually valid in this case.

It's a loaded/unfair question. It's a fallacy. He might as well have asked us if we've stopped beating our wives yet (regardless of your answer, it pre-supposes you were already to begin with).

And, P.S. Don't give me grief on the wife beating example. I'm not mysoginistic. It's a common example of this kind of fallacy taught in logic and philosophy classes.

What I'm trying to do is find a common theme among all of the discontent, and present that as a starting point for which the Devs can start to address.

Yes, it's a loaded question, but no, it's not a fallacy (I'm not creating a thesis here). In attempting to narrow down a single theme, other important issues may be omitted. I'll try my best to locate a theme that hits as many points as possible.

I can send you a PM if you're curious as to what I intend to do.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    kerfokerfo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014

The problem is, the point of this post isn't about a single thing wrong with Delta Rising. here's why:
    I have a plan in mind, but I need some input.

You are allowed ONE answer. I will discount multiple answers, or multiple posts.

Name ONE thing that you think is wrong with Delta Rising.

The point OP is trying to say he's going to do something (Could be a gathering of data and contacting some dev on what the community finds wrong in 1 go? Who knows). Not only that, the reason he says "one thing" is so there's not a convolution of repetitive responses. In other words, he wants people to name various things wrong, but not everyone to keep saying the same thing over and over and over, which people are doing. They're posting and not reading what's already been posted.

He also didn't want people to name various things in 1 go, this is so other people have a chance to speak their mind. That is why it's 1 answer for every 1 person. Hope that clears it up.

(Edit. OP posted right before I did. lol.)
    STO forum term definitions for newbies: Piloting Skill: That thing you do where you fly around and avoid big scary green plasma balls of death. Pressing F and spacebar may also relate to skill. Taco: A very sacred thing. Do not speak I'll of the Taco or things will happen. Terrible things! Humor: Something not found here. Don't bring it. This forum is serious business. Fun: Something illegal. Don't have it and don't bring it
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Content made unplayable & time gated all based on the assumption that players will flock to an over expensive and over complicated chance based upgrade system .
  • Options
    ferrolhoferrolho Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    What you see here now is what exists for some time in Neverwinter. For some time Legendarys

have existed for the sole purpose of making you reach the top rank of weapons and artifacts (and

now off-hands, belts, cloacks and you can bet there will be armor sets in the future), by dumping

money into them and squeeze as much money they can from the players. They stated

somewhere that these new items where a success, so it was just a matter of time until this spreads to other games.

And now you have tremendous gear gaps between players.

It's still prettty recent, these changes, but you will see, it will become worse.

To answer your first question: Gear Gap.
  • Options
    kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Name ONE thing that you think is wrong with Delta Rising.

This a trick question?

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    only one?!?! naah... that's just impossible :P :rolleyes:...

to keep it short:
    - disable part of ionic turbulence, which even doesn't affect npc's lmao...
    - no way to get my fleet t5's/rare ships to fleet t6. i'm looking at about 60+ ships that just got outdated (i won't upgrade a single one xcept the b'rel i did), more than 20 lockbox and lobi ships i'll probably never fly again :mad:

i would have payed for (third time on certain ships!!!)... but they decided to be <letyaimaginationgo>...
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The lack of Janeway.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The use of dilithium as the currency to upgrade which is non- canon. Seriously, where is all that dilithium going? Is it feeding the refugees of a war? Is it helping to save the universe from the borg? is it magically disappearing into the weaponry if so wouldn't it boost the weapons power much much higher than that?

smh
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Open Question: Name ONE thing wrong with Delta Rising
    Tovan Khev still won't leave.

I HAVE ELEVEN OF HIM. :mad:
  • Options
    vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Pure laziness by Cryptic in its implementation of another failed opportunity for Cryptic to do something great. Given the chance by modders to get their hands on this game they could turn it around under 3months, that is fact. That will never happen and is only a pipe dream.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The XP/Leveling process was nerfed. Then it was nerfed again. Then they said "hey, we've made a change but don't worry, it won't affect the leveling speed or XP"

But they lied, it was nerfed.

So the theme is: Skill Points and Leveling. Nerfed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    nephilim83nephilim83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Voice acting directed by fanboys who were apparently too star struck to ask for a second take. Tim Russ is a natural, but the rest of the gang sounds like they were reading the script for the first time. There. I said it. Like all of STO, DR's voice overs are cringeworthy.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    nephilim83 wrote: »
    Voice acting directed by fanboys who were apparently too star struck to ask for a second take. Tim Russ is a natural, but the rest of the gang sounds like they were reading the script for the first time. There. I said it. Like all of STO, DR's voice overs are cringeworthy.

I don't know. I thought Ethan Phillips sounded like he was having fun reprising his role as Neelix.
    ExtxpTp.jpg