What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Club 47 RE-opening

1235»

Comments

• emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    All gamers go through a continuous cycle of compression and decompression. Club 47 provides an area for that decompression.

Taco I love you to bits man, but the way the design of STO has slowly and insidiously evolved to burn out and bleed players for cash means that logging off is the best way to decompress.
  • shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ha ha ha!

Are we actually having a go at someone who decided they wanted to be a graphic artist rather than work in quality assurance?
    giphy.gif
  • yaveryyavery Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    rsoblivion wrote: »
    Well said, I agree that there will be people deriving pleasure from Club 47, and I'm sure it'll look pretty damn good considering your work on ESD already. The timing of it's release is just a little unfortunate. I'll definitely check it out, but could you kick the programmer's up the TRIBBLE to fix the bugs they are yet to post any information in reply to the masses of threads on the topics ;)
    Yeesh. . .

I am not a programmer. I know how to make things in 3d, and I know how to put those things into the game. NO programmer is required for me to do that. Our tools are established, and I can make a new map without diverting resources from anyone.

In the case of Club 47, I did have content design help from Commander Ander, who placed the NPCs, and hooked up some of the little tricks here and there. Much of this was on his own time, after he was already working on other scheduled work.

Again, No programmers, or systems designers were involved in the rebuilding of Club 47, save for consultation/advice.

I'm sorry everyone seems to feel that this was a tremendous waste of time.

The Club was always intended to be part of the ESD revamp. When we found we'd bit off more than we could chew for the initial ESD rebuild, the Club was the most reasonable thing to cut. In my eyes, ESD has not been complete until now.

No, the club does not serve a mission gameplay purpose per se, but imo it is still important.
    All gamers go through a continuous cycle of compression and decompression. Club 47 provides an area for that decompression. Roleplay is just as important to many people as combat is. Providing spaces for RP is just as important as providing spaces for mission content. The Club will also serve as a location to hold in game events.

People have been citing how empty the old club was as a reason why this revamp was pointless. I'd argue that one of the reasons it was empty was that it was terrible as a place to actually hang out. I'm sure there are other reasons, and I do not expect the new Club 47 to be packed 24/7, but I do expect it will see more use than the old Club did.

At the end of the day, the work is done. I'm not going to simply delete all of the work I did over the past month because it wasn't bug fixes I am incapable of effecting. The Club may not be for everyone. You do not have to use it. It's out of the way, and you never have to step foot in there if you so choose. However, I firmly believe there are plenty of people who will use it. People who will derive some enjoyment in the game, from the new Club 47. That, to me, makes it worthwhile.

I'm not a roleplayer or anything but the new Club 47 is awesome! It's touches like this that make a game great. Thanks to all who put work into it.
  • tewha7tewha7 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    You people do realize that a dev is not a dev is not a dev? Different devs have different expertise and work on different aspects of this game.

Lies. Also, nine developers can create a baby in a single month.
  • tewha7tewha7 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm sorry everyone seems to feel that this was a tremendous waste of time.

I think by now you realize we don't all think it's a wast of time, but I wanted to let you know I'll be logging in tonight despite being unusually busy just to see this new map.