test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Battles channel (Got Canon?)

Comments

• tyriniussstyriniusss Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    We had a DPS limit of 5-6k because we wanted a challenge in the old elite STFs.
    But this limit was lifted as with DR advanced STFs were difficult enough so we didn't have to gimp ourselves in that regard. If we start facerolling the content again we will most probably have a limit again.
    It's a bit hard to stay where we stand now that not everyone is at lvl 60 and stuff is buffed/nerfed/unnerfed all the time.
    Currently it seems to me that some of us have to scale back a bit for advanced STFs already. We'll see how it looks at elite, but I fear most won't be able to do that in canon loadouts.

Seems to me the three difficulties are: super easy/easy/super hard with nothing challenging for non min-maxers, but we'll see...

You can use whatever abilites, traits and rep powers you want. There is also no restriction in Equipment rarity/mark.
    The Channel are tweaked as the game changes. The goal is always: Challenging games in Canon loadouts.
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Covering one point you didn't, the rare equipment guideline was only in place very early on (but it remained in the OP for far too long, so I totally understand the confusion), we later started switching it up on some of our builds for higher end gear that would allow us to look more screen accurate while doing a reasonable amount of damage. I was mostly using rep/fleet energy weapons and rare torpedoes, myself.

We've only started to see the repercussions of the latest Advanced nerf -- teams that would've failed optional before Thursday are now getting them with time to spare. I'm personally not happy about that -- we could've kept old builds around and played Normal with anyone who didn't think they were ready for Advanced yet. I mean, how many times did I say "let's do Normal, this ship isn't ready for Advanced" over the past few weeks?

I suspect we'll need to have a damage cap again soon enough. (I just hope they don't nerf it even farther...the gap between Advanced and Elite is already too excessive.) Either that or we'll have to start targeting Elites. Korfez seems doable enough, we've gotten close. Hive looks absolutely dreadful, though, even for the mix/maxers.
  • deatthhawkdeatthhawk Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    OMG, can't believe I've just discovered this thread! When I was levelling up my main character I tried to build a few ships 'canon', including a defiant and promethius!

Shortly afterward I discovered to my disappoinment how the game really worked.

I would love to get involved in this! My HEC is begging for a canon loadout! Handle is @deatthhawk.
    edited November 2014
  • wingsoftartaruswingsoftartarus Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    So, we actually ran a few Delta Patrols last night in T2-3 ships, one with a lone T4, and it was...ridiculously fun.

On a side note, fitting a ship with upgraded retro phasers may cause you to want to jam a screwdriver in your ear. You have been warned.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have a character who is kitted with every color of phaser known to man,... heheeh.... I kinda like the skreee sound actually.

I've actually gotten kinda annoyed when using ships that run just orange phasers in Mirror. It makes it harder to distinguish between my weapons fire and enemy weapons fire. so all of mine use at least 2 colors now.

Melati: true rainbow, she actually has 7 beam colors
    Beltran: mixed flavors of disruptor
    Eridian: standard and Xindi phaser(orange and teal)
    Chuft: mixed Polaron
    Drexela: plasma(mixed Rom plas and standard)
    7 of 13: rainbow phaser, IIRC; standard, Xindi, 8472, and TOS. makes a nice pseudo rainbow
    Carnlan: mixed Tetryon, not good for pseudo rainbow but you CAN see differences. one version of Tet is purplish instead of blue
    Rappaccini: mixed phaser, I think mostly orange and 8472, might hace a Xindi one, not sure.
    Sekkoth; mixed AP, red, angry red, and orange
    Diaula; mixed plasma
    Emani: mixed plasma
    Soheth; recently switched from pure RomPlas to pure Thoron beams, she jumped from a Faeht to an Aelahl, and I decided that her DBBs wouldn't work well so I took the thoron beams I'd been collecting and used those instead
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • trizeo1trizeo1 Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Greetings Captains 07

So just wanted to put up here what we did last night as it was a lot of fun :D

After most of us got our MIN run ins, some of us wanted to do MIA... just cause. We went in it with 1 sci vessal which I flew (STB FLAG SHIP NOVA). Your standard 2 left/2 right 1 floater run. The first six rifts was our side was closed relatively easy with Captain Sol runining intererence for me. After about the 5 min mark the left side got overwhelmed and we just could not kill or close any rifts with the amount of ships that were on map. We did need a 2nd sci vessel but we just wanted to try it out. Hopefully we can try again here just to see if we can do MIA in canon loadouts.

We then went into Azure with a team of 4. We planned it where we would split up to 2 different points then meet up at the lowest value target. We had a pug but I mentioned the plan and we got the optional! Azure is NOT your grandpa's Azure... you do have to distract the Tholians while someone saves the trapped ship. But the important thing is we finished it with flying colors.

After that we did Korfez. We planned and ensured that we knew what we had to do. We all made sure that it was our VERY BEST build that we could muster up as we knew we had to bring our A game. The first part WE KILLED without breaking a sweat. As we got to the 2nd map... that's where it all fell apart as it was a map we didn't see yet so we got disorganized and lost that one but it was a good effort by all and I'm sure we will try again but only in a full STB team. We have already made it to the last phase the 1st time I ran it but lost it but again was surprised we made it to the last map.

After that we decided to do ISA. We KILLED it and the parse numbers showed. I came in last with 11k and went all the way up to 22k and we did it all in 5 mins. It reminded me of the old ISE's... wasn't 2 mins but yeah.

After that we tried HSA. We started from the top and worked our way down. We got the 1st optional with 1 min to spare but lost the Unimatrix part because more than 2 of us died at one point. We did keep going and by the time we killed both Uni's we had 11 mins left which tells me we could have finished it if we made it to the queen.

So going back to ISA... As much as we killed it, for me, it was NOT fun as it brought me back to the days where things just dissapeared. I did mention that the DPS cap was lifted but was to be changed if we started to steam roll the missions. I think it will depend on which mission we do as ISA you prolly need a min of 7 - 9k dps but HSA you do need a min of about 12 - 15k. STB is a place that STILL IS NOT for those who want to team roll things but we are still in the testing phase with all the new powers and such. BUT what is/was apparent in those missions is we worked as a team and we either won together or lost together but in the end had fun doing so.

I could not be more thrilled to be doing all this though than to be doing it with the Captains in STB. We have a GREAT community feeling of helpfulness as well as just great in channel chat which makes STO, for me, a place I do not mind coming back to day in and day out. There is a grind?.... I found that the STB Captains have helped each other out and by doing so has put the fun in the so called "grind".

Thanks again to the Captains last night who were with me in the missions... HAD A BLAST!

Captain Trizeo signing off 07
    edited November 2014
    CombatLogReader—Infected Space[5:14]— Dmg(DPS) —Solona 7,367,786(23,690) Kinanra 7,055,066(22,468) Casper 4,346,610(13,976) Ruriora 3,876,658(12,505) Trizeo 3,527,213(11,341)

I'm so proud of my little T'varo torp/mine bomber. (And people thought canon loadouts/torp boats would have trouble in this expansion!)

Won't be running this ship in STB ISA runs anymore unless others want to tear through it (which I'm perfectly fine with as an occasional thing -- pushing your build can be fun, too), but it's nice to know I have something that can take on Hive Advanced and Korfez.
    edited November 2014
    Very impressive Kinanra! I really need to have a look at that build :)
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I like to thank the members of Star Trek Battles channel for helping Lieutenant Aydihe and her Miranda-class starship progress through the entire Mirror Invasion event. She is very much enjoying her Zefram Cochrane shotgun and looks forward to future voyages with you all.

On a related note, the defense and movement specializations for ships are HILARIOUS on a Miranda.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
    edited November 2014
    tyriniusss wrote: »
    Very impressive Kinanra! I really need to have a look at that build :)

Here you go:

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=kinanratvaro22k_8030

There is a lot of room for improvement, not even counting gear mk upgrades. I keep debating if I should switch the universal to tactical to have more uptime on APB and eliminate the need for conn officers, but it seems to perform fine as-is and can cluster enemies together itself for particle emission torp spreads, which is always nice.

I might switch it back to a DBB fore and experimental aft, that was actually the first parse I did with two arrays instead. I don't really keep both arrays in the firing arc, though, since the plasma torps fire off so quickly.
    I like to thank the members of Star Trek Battles channel for helping Lieutenant Aydihe and her Miranda-class starship progress through the entire Mirror Invasion event. She is very much enjoying her Zefram Cochrane shotgun and looks forward to future voyages with you all.

On a related note, the defense and movement specializations for ships are HILARIOUS on a Miranda.

Sorry I couldn't help last night, but I was on a mission to get V'Lel out of that damn donut ship!
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Sorry I couldn't help last night, but I was on a mission to get V'Lel out of that damn donut ship!

It's cool. Still got a group going in any case.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Here you go:

There is a lot of room for improvement, not even counting gear mk upgrades. I keep debating if I should switch the universal to tactical to have more uptime on APB and eliminate the need for conn officers, but it seems to perform fine as-is and can cluster enemies together itself for particle emission torp spreads, which is always nice.

I might switch it back to a DBB fore and experimental aft, that was actually the first parse I did with two arrays instead. I don't really keep both arrays in the firing arc, though, since the plasma torps fire off so quickly.

Hi! Nice build. I'm not sure if it'll break any synergy, but a 2-piece Adaptec MACO would add a 25% Bonus torpedo damage. Just my 2 EC.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Is it can(n)on to fly an Undine Nicor with biomolly-weaponry, like a biopedo launcher and biocannons in the front and bioturrets in the rear with purrhaps another biopedo launcher? If yes, then I would be in. :D
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
    edited November 2014
    sirokk wrote: »
    Hi! Nice build. I'm not sure if it'll break any synergy, but a 2-piece Adaptec MACO would add a 25% Bonus torpedo damage. Just my 2 EC.

Been considering it, I have the shield already. Not sure if I should go for the deflector or the engines and pick up the Counter Command deflector down the road for more torp boosting.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sirokk wrote: »

Actually its 25% strength increase, which translates to roughly 8% flat increase on a ship with 2 tacconsoles. Thats still plenty.
    edited November 2014
    I definitely gotta try something similar. I didn't do much with torps on the Romulan side. But as I own the Faeht I should definitely try. Are you using the Enhanced Battlecloak most of the time or do you decloak often to use your energy weapons?

With only a single attack pattern I'd certainly go CC Deflector, AMACO Shield/Engine. Run CCA for the Nukara marks. Quick and easy :)
    edited November 2014
    I try to take advantage of the enhanced battlecloak when I can, but I do decloak to fire the energy weapons fairly often. Usually I'll do an initial attack under cloak, fire off the destabilized torp, drop the mines (I have the hot pursuit trait), decloak to hit with plasma hyperflux from the singularity harness 3-piece, fire off the cluster, then cloak again as I'm repositioning for another volley with my fore torps. When I'm fighting the spheres in ISA and I've hit them with a grav well, I find even the split second of cloak loss from firing torps gets me more agro than I want without shields, so I usually just stay decloaked for that part. When we ran Hive, I was paranoid and stayed decloaked almost the entire time.

I actually want to try this setup on the Faeht myself. I basically copied my T'varo build to it at the launch of DR, but switched it over to cannons + torp and turrets + clustertorp for the story missions pretty quickly, and haven't tried it as a bomber since. Faeht gets to keep the CC but gets to have plenty of tac (or intel) along with it at the expense of one heal/defensive ability (and a second attack pattern for AP expertise makes up for that anyway). You lose the T'varo set bonus (+!0% projectile damage) and destabilized torp, but gain the lance and intel debuffs, so it'd be interesting to see how it compares.

Also, there's a bug/undocumented feature with the Aelahl's ship trait that makes mines spawn T'liss warp shadow decoys when they activate. It's pretty cool seeing a whole fleet of those warbirds flying around this ship.
    edited November 2014
    Here you go:

that's a lot like the build I was using. the biggest difference was in the eng skills. Mine had EptS1 and 2. but I suppose if you use the cloak more then EptS is less useful
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • thunderhawk101thunderhawk101 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Battle of Korfez, BEATEN By Kin, Casper, Orcus, Triz and Your's truly.

CombatLogReader—Battle of Korfez[21:30]— Dmg(DPS) —Casper 8,711,955(6,774) Orcus 4,774,663(3,712) Kinanra 4,597,071(3,577) Trizeo 4,335,235(3,376) William 3,989,126(3,092)

lol, let the '50k Deeps or gtfo' crowd suck on that one.
    erei1 wrote: »
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
    edited November 2014
    Greetings Captains 07

Just ran Korfez with a group of STB Captains. This was not our first attempt, for me it was the 3rd.... and well... we just KILLED it IMO.

It did help that we have had some previous experience as well as a full group going into it. We used teamwork and communication and well... it was just an AWESOME feeling to finish it. We did have to bring our very best builds but it was still canon loadouts.

I'd like to thank Captains Casper, William, Orcus & Kinanra for the team and the SWEET SWEET victory.

Captain Casper also parsed it and below is what he got.

CombatLogReader—Battle of Korfez[21:30]— Dmg(DPS) —Casper 8,711,955(6,774) Orcus 4,774,663(3,712) Kinanra 4,597,071(3,577) Trizeo 4,335,235(3,376) William 3,989,126(3,092)

I look forward to more great great battles like this one... TY and GJ Captains 07
  • borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Why disruptors and phasers only ?
    Why no park ? I use a tank ship, it suppose to park and absorb all damage.
    Why mandatory bak torps ?
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Because it is about flying ships like they were flown in the shows? You have watched the actual source IP for STO?
    edited November 2014
    Greetings Captains 07
    Is it can(n)on to fly an Undine Nicor with biomolly-weaponry, like a biopedo launcher and biocannons in the front and bioturrets in the rear with purrhaps another biopedo launcher? If yes, then I would be in. :D

My apologies... I didn't see your post regarding your question.

The answer is YES... you can fly ANY ship just as long as you have it's race specific weapons. A good guide to use is the weapons it orginally came with so to see if it indeed had torps.

Hope that answers your question and my apologies again for not getting back to you right away.

Another Captain asnwered but I'll also chime in as well...

The STB channel tries to duplicate screen accuracy with keeping the race specific weapons as well as the torps as well.. that is what they had on the shows as well as many documents stating their loadouts.

For the no parking rule... That is entirely up to the individual Captain. I have edited it say that you can park as there has been many times where a ship would park and shoot... one instance that comes to mind is when the Enterprise D took a defensive position between the Enterprise C and the on coming K'vorts. So if you feel you have enough defence sitting still you can do so as it was done on the shows.

I hope this answers both of your questions... feel free to ask anymore you may have as well as leave your handle's here or contact us in game for an invite to STB.

Captain Trizeo out 07
  • rerednawrerednaw Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Are any of the existing canon ships either T5U (free upgrade) or T6? Or are you folks running these with flat T5?

I'd also be interested in running my Connie...or Miranda. Dunno if a whole squad of those could handle the STFs with DR though...
    edited November 2014
    I'm using a combination of T6s, T5-Us, and T5s. I mainly used the T6s to play around with the intel abilities and get the traits, then went back to my canon ships, because Cryptic's designs (outside of the MatHa, which might be the best KDF design in the game now, and the Phantom to a much lesser extent) just don't do it for me. All are viable and I mainly did the upgrades because I got free tokens with the Delta pack, plus I like the whole progression element Mastery brings. Not saying the upgrades are worthless, the extra consoles and survivability are nice, but I don't think they're needed. Not for most of the Advanced missions anymore, anyway.

Low tier ships can handle Normal without any real issues, it just takes a while. We could carry one, maybe two through the easier Advanced missions, but I don't think a full team of them will be possible anymore. I could be wrong, though.

---

Just to show what's capable of doing an Advanced STF, here's a build I threw together on my engineer's free level 40 Sovereign:

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=budgetsovereign_8030

I usually use much better gear than that, but it got through an ISA PUG just fine and parsed a little over 5k. No rep traits, no starship traits, no specializations that affect damage output, no doffs. It's not even the best free gear available. I'm sure a better pilot could push it higher. The highest player in that game was 7k, and we barely missed the optional. I don't think I'd take it into the other Advanced missions without a premade team, I'd never take it into some of them, but it shows that you don't need a higher end build to play Advanced post-nerfs. If I weren't planning on posting it in this thread, I probably would've farmed two more arrays for it, and it'd do better.

This isn't even really the best budget gear anymore, I picked it because I know it's available through the story or dirt cheap on the exchange, but uncommon mk XII gear is also cheap now, even some very rare gear is pretty affordable to new (or EC poor, anyway) players.
  • borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    trizeo1 wrote: »
    Another Captain asnwered but I'll also chime in as well...

The STB channel tries to duplicate screen accuracy with keeping the race specific weapons as well as the torps as well.. that is what they had on the shows as well as many documents stating their loadouts.

For the no parking rule... That is entirely up to the individual Captain. I have edited it say that you can park as there has been many times where a ship would park and shoot... one instance that comes to mind is when the Enterprise D took a defensive position between the Enterprise C and the on coming K'vorts. So if you feel you have enough defence sitting still you can do so as it was done on the shows.

I hope this answers both of your questions... feel free to ask anymore you may have as well as leave your handle's here or contact us in game for an invite to STB.

Captain Trizeo out 07
    Well that's why I ask. While it would be illogical to sit and shoot in an escort, my Immortal ship was designed with the intention of being indestructable while taking all the possible damage away from the team. It worked on PvP...we were winning to 2 or 3 points for the other team and it worked in PvE...nothing could destroy it except once when the Borg Queen managed that on old elite after an epic 1v1 fight.

I was considering this channel because I want some other play style than just DPS via plasma scimitar. I'm sick of the plasma cannon scimi thing everywhere.
    I have well balanced ships, I have a tank ship and I have a torp ship that can actually out-DPS even good players.
  • scooter1201scooter1201 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hello.Im looking into one of my ship setups for doing runs here I just need some info to see if my ship set up is up to par.I know you guys want to keep things cannon so is the gravametric torpedo acceptable to run?Its the only thing on it that may be in a gray area I remember seeing them on voyager so.Thanks in advance:)
  • papertoastypapertoasty Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hello.Im looking into one of my ship setups for doing runs here I just need some info to see if my ship set up is up to par.I know you guys want to keep things cannon so is the gravametric torpedo acceptable to run?Its the only thing on it that may be in a gray area I remember seeing them on voyager so.Thanks in advance:)

they did have one gravi torp made in the one episode.
    if it helps i run the new neuter torp and gravi torp on my mostly canon builds and no one has said anything, so id say go for because that torp rocks
    edited November 2014
    Well that was a fun little event. This afternoon we did a few of the old ground fleet actions.(that predate F2P)

First was the Big Dig(aka Romulan Temple). It might have been a good idea to make 2 teams of 3 instead of trying for 1 team of 6. Either way it was pretty quick and easy. The bugs that plagued the old version are gone and it's actually pretty fun now. I could tell you horror stories of how it used to be, but I'll spare you the agony....

Next was Breaking the planet. This time we had only five so we used a traditional team. As long as you stick together it works pretty well.

Oh and neutronic Grenades are killer, huge AoE and good damage. Great kit mod choice for these missions.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing