test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

5 minutes between forum posts beyond reasonable...

Comments

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    imruined wrote: »
    To whom ever is responsible for decision making, in relation to the forums :

I have every expectation that you believed you had reasonable cause to establish a 5 minute delay between forums posts, and I understand such delays are intended to avoid spam posting etc...

Irrespective of those reasons, a 5 minute delay goes well beyond anything that could be considered a reasonable duration to wait.

1-2 minutes would be far more appropriate, and still achieve the same goals of avoiding spam posts, without causing undue frustration and delay for legitimate forum users.

I'm usually quite understanding of why decisions are made, however, this decision beggars belief and ask that 'The Powers That Be' revisit this decision and reduce it to a far more reasonable level.

To the community :

Please do not turn this into a flame war, or another 'I Hate Cryptic' lynching, as it will only give Cryptic more reason not to make this change, a change that is beneficial to all forum users...

Et tu, Brute?! :D

As i said elsewhere, I have the feeling it may just be a temporary thingy. And even if not, putting at least 5 minutes of thinking into our posts, could actually improve the quality of them. :) And, speaking strictly for myself, there's really nothing so important I have to impart on the world, that it can't wait another 5 minutes.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    gregkanegregkane Member Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    js26568 wrote: »
    At the risk of kicking up a hornets nest of rage, I don't think this 5 minute thing applies to everybody.

I think your right, until my recent cryptic/sto/idiot on forum bashing i dont think i had any cooldown, wonder if i can pay dil to reduce it
  • Options
    haskanaelevahaskanaeleva Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Et tu, Brute?! :D

As i said elsewhere, I have the feeling it may just be a temporary thingy. And even if not, putting at least 5 minutes of thinking into our posts, could actually improve the quality of them. :) And, speaking strictly for myself, there's really nothing so important I have to impart on the world, that it can't wait another 5 minutes.

its just enoug time to forget what you are doing, and make youreself a sandwich.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    js26568 wrote: »
    At the risk of kicking up a hornets nest of rage, I don't think this 5 minute thing applies to everybody.

Can you verify this? Or is it just speculation?
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    gregkane wrote: »
    I think your right, until my recent cryptic/sto/idiot on forum bashing i dont think i had any cooldown, wonder if i can pay dil to reduce it

No, I have no history of being any kind of disturbance here. I am as quiet as it gets. I have to wait, too
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Can you verify this? Or is it just speculation?

Apparently posting from a mobile gets around it. my mobile phone is old enough to be a museum piece in Japan so I cant test it, but...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    timelord79 wrote: »
    No, I have no history of being any kind of disturbance here. I am as quiet as it gets. I have to wait, too

Cool beans thanks for clearing mayb just a new thing added :)
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    Apparently posting from a mobile gets around it. my mobile phone is old enough to be a museum piece in Japan so I cant test it, but...

Hmm, if true, it's probably cookie-related then... Interesting. :D
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »

Nope im on mobile in work (were quiet today)
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    the only good thing is there is no such restriction when you edit your own post and that's just as well as you might be able to correct those silly spelling errors ( sorry typos ) before anyone sees them.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    the only good thing is there is no such restriction when you edit your own post and that's just as well as you might be able to correct those silly spelling errors ( sorry typos ) before anyone sees them.
    Thank you for pointing that out to *them* :rolleyes:;).
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There was too much negative commentary on the forums so they had to take special steps to ensure harmony. By having people post less, even if they could not convince us to stop saying bad things, they couod at least limit the number of bad things said, which creates harmony, or "hexie" as it is called in putonghua.

So you mean something like:

“Players in game are concerned: Incoming forum participation values @concerned customers reduced to ~70% of current forum values”?

I hope not because it would help the game as much as

“Advanced Difficulty: Hitpoint values @ Level 60 reduced to ~70% of current Holodeck values”

did.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    Thank you for pointing that out to *them* :rolleyes:;).

Loving the Sig there. :D

[Edit: Swapping from Chrome to IE didn't help either - worth a shot]
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, I could probably do it, but the problem is I only actively monitor Ten Forward, the dev tracker and whatever threads I post in, and you can't moderate the dev tracker. :o

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    Loving the Sig there. :D

[Edit: Swapping from Chrome to IE didn't help either - worth a shot]
    Thank you, and interesting... :D
    When I've got time I'll go and take a look.
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And when people learn to post responsibly and stop flaming, attacking and insulting, I'm sure this 5 minute thing will be removed. Amazing how a handful of people can ruin it for the rest of us.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    And when people learn to post responsibly and stop flaming, attacking and insulting, I'm sure this 5 minute thing will be removed. Amazing how a handful of people can ruin it for the rest of us.
    It's a public forum.. ^^will never work.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I didn't even notice. But then I am in the habit of considering what I say carefully before posting it.

So I won't mind if it stays. It's everyone repeating the same points over and over anyway, being a couple of posts short won't change anything.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Merge.

Complaints about the timer, understandable. But we don't need a dozen or more threads about it.

More merges are likely
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Merge.

Complaints about the timer, understandable. But we don't need a dozen or more threads about it.

More merges are likely

I think so long as people are allowed to complain that's something, quite a number are feeling like there's an attempt to silence the forums over what is seen as very bad PR and game design, so I appreciate you're not closing the threads. It's not like this timer for 300 seconds is going to change anything anyway.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It just comes down to listing 5 minutes worth of their mistakes instead of just one item.

I am not going to post less, I am going to post more - didn't DR teach these people what happens when you try to whip people into control?

If you are un-sure what to post about, here is some inspiration to go off on:

- Deleting the reputation passives people had earned

(this was to prevent the power creep gecko had said didn't exist later replaced by super power creep in Dil Rising, seems like "policy" is a term for what day it is)

- Deleting exploration, we are using that thank you

- Various nerfs, tour the galaxy, doff upgrinder, colonization chains, 200% dil to Dil Rising, vendor trash nerf etc. etc.

My personal favorite is t5u, crafting and upgrading being all copy-paste with no effort to it.

Yet somehow we ought to throw millions of dil at it...?

A 2500 ship is 250,000 x 1.5 dil - how is it they expect people to re-buy their old gear for more than the value of a top ship?

Hilarious
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I'm just happy we don't have to pay (yet) for our forum posts :D.
  • Options
    huntingdon1701huntingdon1701 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's frustrating if you post during your lunchbreak at work. It's not like I post a lot, but I do have to do it quickly so I can get back to work.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It is self defeating. Because of this post, I now will probably read a couple of posts that I could have contributed to; possibly helping someone or at least having a good discussion, but now I cannot and likely I will read it, think "I could tell him how to do that but I can't post and I dont want to sit here for 3 more min". The weird page after editing is not very attractive either, BTW.

All the timer does is aggravate players.
    If someone is spamming, a bot is more than "happy" (or just mindless) to wait it out to post again. And if I cared I could probably hack around the limit, but atm, my care-o-meter about STO is falling at a rapid rate.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If you feel the need to help someone, you could always just message them directly
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between posts.

ROFL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    If you feel the need to help someone, you could always just message them directly

...despite pwe/cryptic doing their best to hide the pm link.