test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

5 minutes between forum posts beyond reasonable...

1235»

Comments

• Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Hardly. I speak out against things I think are wrong, I don't hold my opinion back publicly. There are times when I've posted in the mod area or even via emails saying more, but I am no one's boot-licker. I was dealing with the community quite awhile before I joined up as a mod so no, people that are all about cryptic and how pwe can do no wrong are not all we're looking for. We want people that know the tools of the trade (understanding vbulletin 3.x branch is a huge plus), know that you need to make judgement calls, and can prove you're not going to go on a crazy deletion spree :P

I do get that, my post was made more in a manner that considering what has happened with the forums and is still going on I don't have much faith in what's going on with anything. Blocking people's ability to post when they've done nothing wrong, putting in the timer and closing threads for no reason and now looking for new mods?

I just don't have faith right now, that's what it comes down to. Truth is if they start allowing people to post again and actually confront the current issues like, dare I say it, like I'd expect a professional group to do, I'd feel better about it.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I do get that, my post was made more in a manner that considering what has happened with the forums and is still going on I don't have much faith in what's going on with anything. Blocking people's ability to post when they've done nothing wrong, putting in the timer and closing threads for no reason and now looking for new mods?

I just don't have faith right now, that's what it comes down to. Truth is if they start allowing people to post again and actually confront the current issues like, dare I say it, like I'd expect a professional group to do, I'd feel better about it.

To be totally honest, we've been discussing new mods for awhile. Nothing has been posted about it because we were doing behind the scenes "shopping" (as it's early and I can't come up with a better term) for ones.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    To be totally honest, we've been discussing new mods for awhile. Nothing has been posted about it because we were doing behind the scenes "shopping" (as it's early and I can't come up with a better term) for ones.

Methinks the word you're looking for is "vetting".

To quote a particularly cranky German: "I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you." is I think a good assessment of where a great many of the remaining players are at. It's one thing to be disappointed by unannounced changes to systems. It's something far, far worse to expect going in that everything I am being told is not accurate, and that what I am about to experience is framed in the context of "play this how we want you to play this, at the pace we want you to play this or else" instead of "here's the game, have fun!".

Perhaps that's an overly cynical way of putting it, but there is next to zero faith in Cryptic from me after DR. None. I see a new set of Tribble notes, the first thing I wonder is "well, what thing did they make more of a tedious grindfest this week?". I see a post by Smirk and I think "lets see how the concerns of more than a few folks gets minimized or ignored this time".

The locking down of ALL forum discourse to the point of abandonment in frustration by some does nothing but feed that cycle.
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    frlancr wrote: »
    If you believe any word of what you just typed Neo, you're nothing but a yes-man fanboi. None of that was even remotely true. Did you bother to read the link? The people punished have crossed no lines.

Did you even read the forum rules when you signed up? It was required reading and you had to check a box saying you agreed. There are warnings. There is a point system. Posts can be edited by mods. Content can be removed if it breaks the forum rules.

NONE of this is the issue. None of this has been implemented, in the least. It's as childish and petulent as "I don't like your opinion, you're banned" and nothing even REMOTELY like what you describe.

He always has been, nothing new there, he's as constant as Cryptic is...
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited October 2014

As for freedom of speech this has been said a thousand times and will continue - that only applies to government not to companies.

Hi! Thank you for replying!

I realize that Freedom Of Speech only applies in specific situations. What makes things difficult is the fact that Americans are used to being able to complain, and have their voices heard... and from that action.

In Asia, you do not speak out if you do not like something. You accept it as is. You are told that this is how the game/product/service is. You accept it, or you do not. However you keep your silence on the matter and DO NOT challenge the authority.

By extension "customer service" is there to deal with machine glitches, server issues and the occasional CC hiccup. If something is wrong with the game: so be it. They aren't there to ensure you enjoy the game. You will enjoy the game as it is intended to be enjoyed. Complaining? Does no good as it will be ignored.

So going forward, folks should consider this as the game continues to evolve under PW's guidance. PW wants the game set up a specific way so it makes them a specific revenue. If people don't like that... if they really truly object to the way the game is expected to be played... they will take their money elsewhere.

Apparently SOMEONE is paying still otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford all the voice-talent they've been hiring. Consider that as you ponder the situation!
  • Options
    thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    frlancr wrote: »
    It's not a perception that they're silencing people THEY ARE. Many have had their posting privs revoked completely. 3 days now and counting. People that presented opinions that differ from Cryptics "Best release EVAR" party line have not been moderated, nor edited, nor warned, or cited or anything. They simply had their accounts FLAGGED so they can't post anything without a mod reviewing it for content first. That's what it says. The reality? 3 days and counting of silence. Nothing is reviewed. They dump it all into the "ignore" bin. Why? Because this is far less public than BANNING 100s of people that disagreed with Cryptic's very poor choices recently.

It's not a perception. The folks being silenced can't even let you KNOW they can't post anymore. All very hush hush, all very swept-under-the-rug.

I'll call this a lie since most of the people who were overly critical were smart enough have made alt accounts. They use them to support themselves often enough anyways.
  • Options
    thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So basically I assume boot-lickers will be getting the job? I know that sounds bad but you guys need people who are friends to the community first and moderators second, that's a good approach to dealing with things, it's a drop in the ocean of what you need to do to get people supporting you again but recruiting a boot-licker isn't going to help matters.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, just don't have much faith right now...

Which community? STO forumers are not 1 community, there are several smaller divisions amongst us. Even anti-Cryptic people have differing opinions. People calling others names doesn't help.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've thought about volunteering to be a Mod, but I'm not so sure my wacky sense of humor would mesh well with what appears to be the current undertone of dealing with the wavering STO Community Spirit from PWE.

My post history isn't "angelic" but I've always tended to go for more of a humorous vein on the adult-side, rather than a confrontational one.

BranFlakes had to occasionally remind me that the age bracket around here runs from 8 to 80...

So I've learned to temper my 15-year-old "toilet" humor to be more appropriate for a wider audience.

I do a lot of "grumbling" about what's happening in my head and write up a paragraph or two, but after venting it in a post, I almost always hit DELTE rather than SEND.

The few posts that do make it though, almost always aim to be lighter in mood than what is usually the prevailing aura of the thread.

That's why the Official DOOM Thread is my favorite place to hang out.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    themarie wrote: »
    Hi! Thank you for replying!

I realize that Freedom Of Speech only applies in specific situations. What makes things difficult is the fact that Americans are used to being able to complain, and have their voices heard... and from that action.

In Asia, you do not speak out if you do not like something. You accept it as is. You are told that this is how the game/product/service is. You accept it, or you do not. However you keep your silence on the matter and DO NOT challenge the authority.

By extension "customer service" is there to deal with machine glitches, server issues and the occasional CC hiccup. If something is wrong with the game: so be it. They aren't there to ensure you enjoy the game. You will enjoy the game as it is intended to be enjoyed. Complaining? Does no good as it will be ignored.

So going forward, folks should consider this as the game continues to evolve under PW's guidance. PW wants the game set up a specific way so it makes them a specific revenue. If people don't like that... if they really truly object to the way the game is expected to be played... they will take their money elsewhere.

Apparently SOMEONE is paying still otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford all the voice-talent they've been hiring. Consider that as you ponder the situation!
    No no no no no!

That is NOT what I meant about there is no freedom of speech here. There are ways to complain, we've allowed complaints for years and we are still doing so, but starting to light the forums on fire does nothing but make a lot more work for us, makes us have to report people for bans etc. It does NOT actually lead to change. The people that think out their responses, that post thought out comments etc get things done. The forums are only one place feedback is gathered about changes, this and the spec points included.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No no no no no!

That is NOT what I meant about there is no freedom of speech here. There are ways to complain, we've allowed complaints for years and we are still doing so, but starting to light the forums on fire does nothing but make a lot more work for us, makes us have to report people for bans etc. It does NOT actually lead to change. The people that think out their responses, that post thought out comments etc get things done. The forums are only one place feedback is gathered about changes, this and the spec points included.

If this was the case we would not see situations where we the players are scolded for not following internal projections and metrics. This is twice now.

If this was the case someone would listen and FIX CERTAIN BUGS.

If this was the case we'd have an ENTIRE SEASON of internal quality-of-life bugfixes.

And finally if this was the case we would have far less grind in the game -- not even more.

Sorry to disagree with you, but my points are irrefutable. You DO remember the meltdown the last time we were told to play according to Dan's internal projections and numbers right? And there are bugs in the game that go unaddressed or reoccur depending on which code-branch the Devs decide to merge into production. And really, quite a few people are saying enough with the grinds yet here we are with another season of grindage to work through.