test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

5 minutes between forum posts beyond reasonable...

Comments

• Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    People were posting 17 times faster than intended.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    If you feel the need to help someone, you could always just message them directly

The point of forums is for questions and answers to be public, and people can search for their issue to see what was said about it in the past, etc. Having a gigantic "you cannot post again" delay just invalidates the forums as a useful tool. And there I go again, 3-4 more posts I can't comment on for saying this.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    The point of forums is for questions and answers to be public, and people can search for their issue to see what was said about it in the past, etc. Having a gigantic "you cannot post again" delay just invalidates the forums as a useful tool. And there I go again, 3-4 more posts I can't comment on for saying this.
    I feel sorry for you :o, we now really have to prioritize which thread deserves a reply. Not that my reply / replies are in any way insight- or helpful. :D
  • Options
    frlancrfrlancr Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I think so long as people are allowed to complain that's something, quite a number are feeling like there's an attempt to silence the forums over what is seen as very bad PR and game design, so I appreciate you're not closing the threads. It's not like this timer for 300 seconds is going to change anything anyway.

It's not a perception that they're silencing people THEY ARE. Many have had their posting privs revoked completely. 3 days now and counting. People that presented opinions that differ from Cryptics "Best release EVAR" party line have not been moderated, nor edited, nor warned, or cited or anything. They simply had their accounts FLAGGED so they can't post anything without a mod reviewing it for content first. That's what it says. The reality? 3 days and counting of silence. Nothing is reviewed. They dump it all into the "ignore" bin. Why? Because this is far less public than BANNING 100s of people that disagreed with Cryptic's very poor choices recently.

It's not a perception. The folks being silenced can't even let you KNOW they can't post anymore. All very hush hush, all very swept-under-the-rug.
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    frlancr wrote: »
    It's not a perception that they're silencing people THEY ARE. Many have had their posting privs revoked completely. 3 days now and counting. People that presented opinions that differ from Cryptics "Best release EVAR" party line have not been moderated, nor edited, nor warned, or cited or anything. They simply had their accounts FLAGGED so they can't post anything without a mod reviewing it for content first. That's what it says. The reality? 3 days and counting of silence. Nothing is reviewed. They dump it all into the "ignore" bin. Why? Because this is far less public than BANNING 100s of people that disagreed with Cryptic's very poor choices recently.

It's not a perception. The folks being silenced can't even let you KNOW they can't post anymore. All very hush hush, all very swept-under-the-rug.

Since when did this start happening? News to me O_o
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Since when did this start happening? News to me O_o
    You may want to look at STO reddit.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Because NOBODY CAN POST about it! That's why!

You can find people affected on other media sites, just not here.

It happened 3 days ago. Didn't you wonder why the sudden turnaround of 3 days of discussion, issues regarding cryptic's choices, and then suddenly the next morning all that was gone and there were 5 fanboi posts praising cryptic on this forum instead? Nobody could reply. Nobody could post.

Massive censorship in a way to hide that anything was censored.

Kind of like their 5 minute posting cooldown, it is intended to hide what's really going on. Absence of complaints means absence of problem, right? That's how Cryptic sees it these days.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Looks like someone made an alt account to bypass a banning

Lol, if cryptic banned everyone who disagreed with them, the forums would be a ghost town.

Compared to other forums, this one is pretty laid back in terms of complaining only time they really step in is when people go overboard and break the rules.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    No. There was no ban. There was no reason. NO rules were broken. No threads were moderated. No citations issue. This was NOT a banning. This was a mass-censoring.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Because NOBODY CAN POST about it! That's why!

You can find people affected on other media sites, just not here.

It happened 3 days ago. Didn't you wonder why the sudden turnaround of 3 days of discussion, issues regarding cryptic's choices, and then suddenly the next morning all that was gone and there were 5 fanboi posts praising cryptic on this forum instead? Nobody could reply. Nobody could post.

Massive censorship in a way to hide that anything was censored.

Kind of like their 5 minute posting cooldown, it is intended to hide what's really going on. Absence of complaints means absence of problem, right? That's how Cryptic sees it these days.

Honestly because I've been here a long time but I've never known that to happen. I'll check out STO Reddit then, And thanks for the heads up folks because that's just darn low.

Don't suppose anyone has a link?
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    alpharaider47#7707 alpharaider47 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The 5 minute timer could be an opportunity for them to sort through posts and mute those that they disagree with, on whatever grounds it is that they are using to do this.

Have to admit, that would be rather crafty of them.
    sFfAcbR.jpg
    STO Beta Test and Launch Veteran
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Neo:

vivenneanthony had all posting privs removed for posting this:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1275131

A review that covered several bullet points for DR and gave it a negative overall review. Vivenneanthony can no longer post AT ALL. You'll note something interesting if you look at that link. Vivenneanthony is NOT banned. Nor is the post moderated or censored -- because there's no justification for it. There's no reason for it. Cryptic just didn't like what Vivenneanthody had to say, so they shut him/her up for good.

Taras: this is unprecedented for Cryptic and as far as I know has never happened before. DR was such a fiasco and had so much backlash from the playerbase (and no, I don't mean just raging or whining -- the majority of players are unhappy and for many varied and well-spoken reasons) that they cracked down -- and hard.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Neo:

vivenneanthony had all posting privs removed for posting this:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1275131

A review that covered several bullet points for DR and gave it a negative overall review. Vivenneanthony can no longer post AT ALL. You'll note something interesting if you look at that link. Vivenneanthony is NOT banned. Nor is the post moderated or censored -- because there's no justification for it. There's no reason for it. Cryptic just didn't like what Vivenneanthody had to say, so they shut him/her up for good.

Taras: this is unprecedented for Cryptic and as far as I know has never happened before. DR was such a fiasco and had so much backlash from the playerbase (and no, I don't mean just raging or whining -- the majority of players are unhappy and for many varied and well-spoken reasons) that they cracked down -- and hard.

Okay so I'm not the only one that thinks this is the first time then, that's something. I found the sub-reddit and I have to say this is utterly stupid. What gets me though is presumably they thought we wouldn't find out about this? I'd say we're one of the most well connected groups of players around.

When are they going to finally accept this kind of mal-practice doesn't work?
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Neo:

I know the forums are cryptic property, but has anyone offered any explanation of why they've started doing this? Also is there a specific pattern of players being banned from posting?
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Historically, if you're a bad forum member, a troll, a terrible person, you get banned. For simply speaking your mind in a legit manner? For simply discussing the pertinent issue of the day? There is no precedent to ban people for this. It's a sign they're losing control. They LOST control. They don't want you to talk about how bad the release was. Steam numbers and majority of players in the game show how unhappy people are, followed by accusing the playerbase as a whole of hacking/exploiting for playing the game as intended (but... just not in DR because we didn't like it as much), and then all of this? There's no pattern of this to show this is expected. I may have a low expectation from Cryptic right now, but this takes the cake! This is below even my wildest imaginations!

EDIT: The funny thing is they nearly got away with it, too. The muting was so hush-hush (and nobody muted could complain) that you and others hadn't been paying attention and noticed how empty the forum has been the past 3 days compared to the past month before that.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    We have been recruiting.

Feel free to PM as Tribute.

After a check of your Forum Posting History, I can let you know if we can bring you on the team :)

LOL! I'd apply, but my post history would probably get me kicked out. It's a shame really, it's like a future boss checking your Facebook history. Your own personal posts can be very different to how you would post if you were representing the organisation because you have to start thinking beyond your own opinion.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Good, it's about time, the inmates have been running the asylum for to long, it's time to give the guards back their guns.

The forums are a cesspool, and we don't need to insult each other or the devs to get our point across

I still see pretty critical posting being posted on the forums, and it's sure as hell not empty, but when you cross that line, yeah you should get a time out.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    If you believe any word of what you just typed Neo, you're nothing but a yes-man fanboi. None of that was even remotely true. Did you bother to read the link? The people punished have crossed no lines.

Did you even read the forum rules when you signed up? It was required reading and you had to check a box saying you agreed. There are warnings. There is a point system. Posts can be edited by mods. Content can be removed if it breaks the forum rules.

NONE of this is the issue. None of this has been implemented, in the least. It's as childish and petulent as "I don't like your opinion, you're banned" and nothing even REMOTELY like what you describe.
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This has been a long time coming. It's not so much Cryptic as PW that makes the unreasonable rules and all that.

Well... unreasonable by American market standards. We are just not used to how Asian-market companies operate. Freedom of speech is unheard of in many countries over there -- you do as you are told and you enjoy the content you are provided in the way the company intends for you to enjoy it. Complaints are unacceptable, protests are not tolerated and praise is expected. As I said: Enjoy it the way the company expects you to enjoy it or go elsewhere.

Frankly the market for game programmers, developers, coders and so on isn'ct quite what it used to be... so the folks at CRYPTIC proper know better than to complain. Plus if you get fired by powerhouse PW you have a stain on your resume!

What this boils down to -- unless someone comes along and buys the STO franchise from PW this is what we are stuck with. Either learn to put up with the bad in support of the good or find another American-market MMO to play. Something like Star Citizen or Seret World.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Good, it's about time, the inmates have been running the asylum for to long, it's time to give the guards back their guns.

The forums are a cesspool, and we don't need to insult each other or the devs to get our point across

I still see pretty critical posting being posted on the forums, and it's sure as hell not empty, but when you cross that line, yeah you should get a time out.

The ironic thing is, I'm spending more time on the forums and posting in more threads since they set the timer to five minutes. Before, I checked the few threads I follow and posted in them then left the forums for several hours and came back later to check those threads.

Now, I've got to do something in the five minutes I'm waiting to hit 'post' on the multiple tabs I've got open with replies typed up so I'm going exploring around the forums and finding threads I wouldn't have even noticed before and then end up wanting to post in them. So it may have slowed me down, but it's increased the total number of posts I'm making in a day and is forcing me to spend more time on the forums (if you consider what used to take 5-10 minutes now takes about 50). That seems like the opposite of what they were trying to achieve.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    rogerthomsonrogerthomson Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It would appear that Smirk either has no sense of humor, or knows nothing about the game he represents.

No, there isn't a 500 dil charge to post on the forums...but with a five minute time gate, its surprising that there's not.

Everything else with an arbitrary time gate has a dil button to "finish now"... So its semi-logical to assume it was just overlooked on the forums.

Is this maybe because people post here 17x faster then on other PW forums, or something?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    We have been recruiting.

Feel free to PM as Tribute.

After a check of your Forum Posting History, I can let you know if we can bring you on the team :)

So basically I assume boot-lickers will be getting the job? I know that sounds bad but you guys need people who are friends to the community first and moderators second, that's a good approach to dealing with things, it's a drop in the ocean of what you need to do to get people supporting you again but recruiting a boot-licker isn't going to help matters.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, just don't have much faith right now...
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Oh and I am not an apologist for either company. :) I have a specific connection to STO via a friendship with someone on the inside, or rather someone who used to work there on the inside. That person left because they were unhappy with how things were headed. I take what he said with a large grain of salt, because like I said: unhappy. HOWEVER -- I did my homework on Asian-market MMOs and I realize it is going to get a whole lot different around here the longer PW holds on to STO.
  • Options
    codewarrior316codewarrior316 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They just want post counts to mean something. It doesn't mean anything if you can post one right after another...
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    It's a public forum.. ^^will never work.

yup and i dont see the point in it. cooler heads wont really change anything when the next great flamefest starts up with the trolls rubbing their hands in glee always watching over their shoulders incase the mods have that fire extinguisher they are afraid to see :P.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So basically I assume boot-lickers will be getting the job? I know that sounds bad but you guys need people who are friends to the community first and moderators second, that's a good approach to dealing with things, it's a drop in the ocean of what you need to do to get people supporting you again but recruiting a boot-licker isn't going to help matters.

if the cryptic/pwe team want me on their voluntary mod team they have to show me they are serious about it and all they have to do is invite me to it, otherwise i will try help where i can without breaking the rules. im not arrogant enough to assume its a great idea, only their team will know if im just not the type or whatever and thats fine by me.

if only i were huh? imagine the utter contempt some of the forum community will have about that, i would be taking such a perverse delight in their disgust in private ofc :P i kid, i kid.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Hardly. I speak out against things I think are wrong, I don't hold my opinion back publicly. There are times when I've posted in the mod area or even via emails saying more, but I am no one's boot-licker. I was dealing with the community quite awhile before I joined up as a mod so no, people that are all about cryptic and how pwe can do no wrong are not all we're looking for. We want people that know the tools of the trade (understanding vbulletin 3.x branch is a huge plus), know that you need to make judgement calls, and can prove you're not going to go on a crazy deletion spree :P
    themarie wrote: »
    This has been a long time coming. It's not so much Cryptic as PW that makes the unreasonable rules and all that.

Well... unreasonable by American market standards. We are just not used to how Asian-market companies operate. Freedom of speech is unheard of in many countries over there -- you do as you are told and you enjoy the content you are provided in the way the company intends for you to enjoy it. Complaints are unacceptable, protests are not tolerated and praise is expected. As I said: Enjoy it the way the company expects you to enjoy it or go elsewhere.

Frankly the market for game programmers, developers, coders and so on isn'ct quite what it used to be... so the folks at CRYPTIC proper know better than to complain. Plus if you get fired by powerhouse PW you have a stain on your resume!

What this boils down to -- unless someone comes along and buys the STO franchise from PW this is what we are stuck with. Either learn to put up with the bad in support of the good or find another American-market MMO to play. Something like Star Citizen or Seret World.
    Actually, limitations on time between posts are the normal on forums. They do it for numerous reasons but it's not unreasonable, it's quite normal. Now is 5 minutes overboard? Honestly yes. I think it should be at max 3 minutes, but again that's my opinion.

As for freedom of speech this has been said a thousand times and will continue - that only applies to government not to companies.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113