edited October 2014
    Try this...

Download this wrapper
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4486028/STO/STO%20Delta%20Rising.zip

Copy this folder from the official version
    Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/StarTrekOnline

To this location in the downloaded Wineskin wrapper
    Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/StarTrekOnline

Let it patch like 4gb on start up... see if it works for you.... its been working for me.

You may have to right click and Open the app the first time, or have your Mac set to allow apps from anywhere because I can't code sign it... I can, but it would break the signature as soon as you dropped the other files inside of it.

Giving it a shot!
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited October 2014
    ... and it crashed. :P

Sigh. :(
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Damn it.......
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Damn it.......

Yep, said that in my best Jack Bauer impression, LOL.

When it crashed the first time, I thought it might have been because I had the graphics level set to max. Dropped it way down to lowest "medium" level (lower settings than what I ran the Mac version on)... crashed just the same.

And that's what's so weird. The game, for me, looks smooth... as smooth as it was before DR. Wouldn't know anything is different, until CRASH.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    And thanks, therealdoh123, for hooking me up with the wineskin and instructions. They worked great. :)
  • Options
    clingingmarsclingingmars Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Try this...

Download this wrapper

Let it patch like 4gb on start up... see if it works for you.... its been working for me.

You may have to right click and Open the app the first time, or have your Mac set to allow apps from anywhere because I can't code sign it... I can, but it would break the signature as soon as you dropped the other files inside of it.

it still asks me to install software? or copy/move files? and it won't let me open packages while in that menu? forgive my ignorance as I never messed around with Wineskin in the past.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    it still asks me to install software? or copy/move files? and it won't let me open packages while in that menu? forgive my ignorance as I never messed around with Wineskin in the past.

Now, it didn't work for me... but it did work for therealdoh123... so keep that in mind! :)

To set it up, I had to right click (or control-click, if you don't have the second mouse button on) on the regular STO Mac client, and "Show Package Contents" in that menu. That is where you will find: Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/StarTrekOnline.

Once you located this folder, take the skin you downloaded from therealdoh, and right click (or control-click). Hit up "Show Package Contents" again, and that's how you'll find: Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/StarTrekOnline.

Highlight the folder in the STO client, go to Edit>Copy. Go to the folder in the wineskin, and paste in the folder in the location indicated above. You must do THIS before attempting to open.

Therealdoh123 can correct me if I missed something. :)
  • Options
    iathoriathor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I was trying to tailor the Risian cruiser at the ESD ship tailor, and got almost constant crashes -- most of the time I couldn't run more than a minute or so before it died. No particular trigger action: happened while grabbing the 3D model to turn it, while scrolling through advanced patterns, while clicking repeatedly on the Randomize button, and while trying to set material.

I also noted another problem in the tailor, which may or may not be related: I couldn't set the ship colors successfully using the swatches. I could change the two color swatches, but the ship itself was unaffected, both in the tailor and in Sol System. The randomize button did change the colors on the ship model in the tailor window, however (as well as the patterns).

While I've been getting some crashes elsewhere in the game, this is by far the worst crash rate I've seen since DR was released; I can usually accomplish a fair amount between crashes elsewhere.

System info: late 2013 Retina Macbook Pro, Mac OS 10.9.5, display resolution set full-screen, 1440x900.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I tried therealdoh123's Wineskin wrapper, but it wouldn't even start up successfully for me (I did copy the STO contents into it properly, as far as I could tell). I could only see the wrapper process in Activity Monitor, and it didn't seem to be actually doing anything at all, it wasn't using any resources at all.

Could be an OS version issue or something (I'm on 10.9.5).
  • Options
    therealdoh123therealdoh123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sorry guys, I never expected it to work on every system... didn't do much troubleshooting, just got it working on my own. I'm using nvidia video, but I'm also running on OS X 10.8.5 ... I have not tested it on 10.9.x or 10.10.x

You may want to try some different graphics settings... some are more crash prone than others.

Here are some screenshots of my video settings
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4486028/STO/STOSettings1.png
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4486028/STO/STOSettings2.png
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4486028/STO/STOSettings3.png

It also doesn't seem to save my graphics settings right, and I have to change them every time I launch...

mhall85's instructions are right... its just copying and pasting a folder... I should have mentioned the 'right click -> Show Package Contents' thing to see inside of an app.

It caused problems using the Wine's Mac Driver like the last Unofficial Mac Version I put out before the Official Mac version started, so i switched it back to using WineskinX11... this (and X11 in general on OS X) can sometimes be finicky, for reasons I've never totally figured out. If it starts but shows no windows, its often best to reboot, and make sure you don't automatically open programs the same on next launch. I hadn't run anything Wineskin in about 2 weeks, and hadn't rebooted my system, and I couldn't even get it to show up until I rebooted the first time.
  • Options
    asches1asches1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Try this...

Download this wrapper

Dude: you're THE man! Looks like its working and I recommend it to everybody.

Long live smart ppl :D
    Everybody looks right, but you pass left...
  • Options
    asches1asches1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    iathor wrote: »
    I tried therealdoh123's Wineskin wrapper, but it wouldn't even start up successfully for me (I did copy the STO contents into it properly, as far as I could tell). I could only see the wrapper process in Activity Monitor, and it didn't seem to be actually doing anything at all, it wasn't using any resources at all.

Could be an OS version issue or something (I'm on 10.9.5).

Go to your system preferences, in the security & privacy section go to the and "allow applications downloaded from:" => anywhere. If you don't do that, it won't work.
    Everybody looks right, but you pass left...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Anyone hear an update on the Mac front?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Anyone hear an update on the Mac front?

nope...nada...zilch
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    nope...nada...zilch

Horse TRIBBLE. :(

I re-tried therealdoh's Wineskin app, with the other graphics settings he provided, this morning... and I was able to walk around ESD... then I tried flying around ESD... then I went all the way to the Dilithium mine in Beta Ursae... NO CRASH! So, I tried to replay "Diplomatic Orders"... an easy mission, but a good test with VO, cutscenes, ground battles, space battles, and a powerful boss at the end (plus, I needed a quantum torpedo launcher, LOL). STILL NO CRASH!!!

I got really excited, so I went to ESD, and I was going to attempt to upgrade my Fleet Defiant. It crashed five steps away from the Ship Selector, LOL. I CAN'T WIN!

Some things I noticed with the Wineskin, though... even though it stayed up for 20-30 minutes, it's REALLY dark for me. Brightness calibrator won't work, and the brightness controls on my keyboard are overridden. The graphics, too, if you use therealdoh's settings, are (duh) reduced. It's just sad to think that some of the great art of this game has to be taken away, in order for it to even work.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Horse TRIBBLE. :(

I re-tried therealdoh's Wineskin app, with the other graphics settings he provided, this morning... and I was able to walk around ESD... then I tried flying around ESD... then I went all the way to the Dilithium mine in Beta Ursae... NO CRASH! So, I tried to replay "Diplomatic Orders"... an easy mission, but a good test with VO, cutscenes, ground battles, space battles, and a powerful boss at the end (plus, I needed a quantum torpedo launcher, LOL). STILL NO CRASH!!!

I got really excited, so I went to ESD, and I was going to attempt to upgrade my Fleet Defiant. It crashed five steps away from the Ship Selector, LOL. I CAN'T WIN!

Some things I noticed with the Wineskin, though... even though it stayed up for 20-30 minutes, it's REALLY dark for me. Brightness calibrator won't work, and the brightness controls on my keyboard are overridden. The graphics, too, if you use therealdoh's settings, are (duh) reduced. It's just sad to think that some of the great art of this game has to be taken away, in order for it to even work.

Hold down 'fn' when you launch the app, to get Wineskin menu.... or right click the app, show packages contents, and run Wineskin.app inside there.

Go to Screen Options, and there is a slider bar for extra gamma correction that will help some.

X11 driver for Wine uses an older extension for controlling things like this. This extension is not implemented in any X11 build thats ever been made for OS X... so it doesn't work.... except I think some special hack-workaround that Codeweavers stuck in their custom X11 for Crossover... but they don't make that source available.

You can also try using the Mac Driver setting instead of using X11, and see if it works any better... I was having some issues and just stuck with using X11.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Hold down 'fn' when you launch the app, to get Wineskin menu.... or right click the app, show packages contents, and run Wineskin.app inside there.

Go to Screen Options, and there is a slider bar for extra gamma correction that will help some.

X11 driver for Wine uses an older extension for controlling things like this. This extension is not implemented in any X11 build thats ever been made for OS X... so it doesn't work.... except I think some special hack-workaround that Codeweavers stuck in their custom X11 for Crossover... but they don't make that source available.

You can also try using the Mac Driver setting instead of using X11, and see if it works any better... I was having some issues and just stuck with using X11.

Thanks!!! I'll try it!!! You are a big help, good sir. :)
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Came in just to echo everyone else: Prior to S9, the Mac client was SUPER-STABLE.

Now, it just crashes to desktop regularly for next to no reason. What was changed as far as the graphics engine (which I think is the culprit) to make this happen?
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    stormf0stormf0 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Tried again tonight. Insta-crashes in game (2-3 minutes max). Please remember us, developers!

To those who have "get a real computer" comments, remember that in STIV, Scotty didn't use an IBM; he used a Mac. :D

Composer7777
    Happy to Game on my Mac
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I finally got the wineskin to work and have been playing contently...my T6 Phantom is a beast...Dev's fix the mac version
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    holyhutchholyhutch Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm also a mac client user, suffering from endless crashes since the Delta Rising release. I'm eagerly awaiting a patch to fix the client.

SH
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    asches1 wrote: »
    Go to your system preferences, in the security & privacy section go to the and "allow applications downloaded from:" => anywhere. If you don't do that, it won't work.

No, that's not it -- I started it using the trick for opening individual unsigned apps in Finder (right-click the app and use the Open option in the context menu). I'm not going to trust all unsigned apps, thank you...

The problem is, the wrapper starts up, and I see a process running, but it does nothing after that.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Sorry guys, I never expected it to work on every system... didn't do much troubleshooting, just got it working on my own. I'm using nvidia video, but I'm also running on OS X 10.8.5 ... I have not tested it on 10.9.x or 10.10.x

... (elided) ...

It caused problems using the Wine's Mac Driver like the last Unofficial Mac Version I put out before the Official Mac version started, so i switched it back to using WineskinX11... this (and X11 in general on OS X) can sometimes be finicky, for reasons I've never totally figured out.

Needing X11 is probably why it doesn't work at all on my machine, which is running 10.9 -- Apple stopped directly supporting X11 with 10.9, and you have to download it separately from the open source version if you need to use it. I'm not sure why the "Do you want to install X11?" popup didn't show, though. That's supposed to pop up if something tries to talk to the X11 server on 10.9 and later. At least it does that if I try to run the X11 launcher I still have installed.

I was poking around inside the Transgaming config stuff today, and it looks like they're running in 32-bit mode. Does your Wineskin version run a 64-bit client? If so, I wonder if that's the issue -- they might have run out of address space... Though the Windows version apparently still runs on 32-bit machines.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I had three crashes of the Mac client tonight just at my fleet star base (fleet "Settlers of Caitian"). Two of them happened when I wasn't actually doing anything at all, I had left the machine for a bit because of slow zone-ins to the fleet star system and the fleet base itself, and after zoning in and sitting for a minute or two, the client simply crashed with no input at all.

One crash was zoning from the base map to the fleet star system, no other players were in the system. My ship was the Chimera 1000-day veteran ship, if that matters. (Character was S'leen'h@iathor.)

The other crash was after zoning into the base, also with character S'leen'h@iathor. No one else in the base (which is a stock Fed T1 with no frills added, an no other PCs there). I hadn't moved the character at all, was just getting the random base NPCs walking around for a bit, then the client just crashed.

I also got a crash on another character (Eleven of Ten@iathor) just running across the main ops area in the same fleet base; the only other thing going on was some doff mission completions.

I also note that the Cryptic error crash reporter seems to be hanging up indefinitely trying to terminate processes, if it even makes a showing at all for a given crash (usually I don't even see it). So I don't think any of these crashes are sending anything useful home for analysis.

System info: late 2013 Retina Macbook Pro running 1440x900 fullscreen, 16G RAM, Mac OS 10.9.5
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Needing X11 is probably why it doesn't work at all on my machine, which is running 10.9 -- Apple stopped directly supporting X11 with 10.9, and you have to download it separately from the open source version if you need to use it. I'm not sure why the "Do you want to install X11?" popup didn't show, though. That's supposed to pop up if something tries to talk to the X11 server on 10.9 and later. At least it does that if I try to run the X11 launcher I still have installed.

I was poking around inside the Transgaming config stuff today, and it looks like they're running in 32-bit mode. Does your Wineskin version run a 64-bit client? If so, I wonder if that's the issue -- they might have run out of address space... Though the Windows version apparently still runs on 32-bit machines.

WineskinX11 is built into the wrapper, it shouldn't require XQuartz to be installed.

Wine and Cider both on OS X are basically 32 bit only... so thats not the issue.

You can go in Wineskin.app and change it to use the Mac Driver instead of X11. That seems to work ok, except you have no multitasking easily. I have had X11 (including Crossovers, and Wineskin's) stop drawing any windows at all before even though it was running... but every time its happened a fresh reboot has fixed it.
  • Options
    shoujokakumeishoujokakumei Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have the same issue with the workaround posted - nothing opens, even if I right-click and select open. I don't even see a process starting up, and the Wineskin.app won't open for me to fiddle with settings there - it just bounces in my dock for 20 minutes until it turns to "Not Responding." :confused: (Edit: Wineskin did finally open after I rebooted three times, we'll see what happens next, LOL.)

(Edit #2 - Well, upon changing the Wineskin settings, I get a window that says "Verifying Star Trek Online" with a progress bar that isn't moving, so I'll leave that there for a while and see what it does... Thanks for that info!)

(Edit #3 - Ultimately, same result as using CrossOver - Crashing at 1/3 to 1/2 of the Cryptic loading screen, regardless of what settings I apply. Oh well.)

Meanwhile, the Mac client is crashing even more for me now - the other day I managed a couple patrol missions, today I can't even set up my R&D projects and DOFF assignments. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm happier by the day that I didn't waste money on the Delta pack.

For the record: I'm running 10.10 (and had the same issues on 10.9), on a 21" iMac with a 2.8 Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, and 512MB AMD Radeon graphics - all worked fine before this debacle with DR.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    No, that's not it -- I started it using the trick for opening individual unsigned apps in Finder (right-click the app and use the Open option in the context menu). I'm not going to trust all unsigned apps, thank you...

For the record, you don't have to leave the setting to "Allow All" on forever. Go to System Preferences, then Privacy, then change the setting, open the app, then change the setting back to "App Store and Trusted Developers" or whatever.

I've had to do this before with a piece of Ambrosia Software, and I did the same to get the Wineskin to open. It works, and you'll only have to it ONCE. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Nothing like crashing seconds after logging in!!! :P :(

Does anyone else start to worry the second people start activating powers outside of ESD, or drop a party ball in a social zone? "Oh TRIBBLE, that overabundance of graphics is gonna make me crash..." :P
  • Options
    groselicaingroselicain Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Does anyone else start to worry the second people start activating powers outside of ESD, or drop a party ball in a social zone? "Oh TRIBBLE, that overabundance of graphics is gonna make me crash..." :P

I can do you one better:

I've crashed so much recently that when I'm in Chrome just doing web browsing, any sort of unexpected activity on the sides of a page immediately makes me think the browser is about to crash.
  • Options
    shoujokakumeishoujokakumei Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't worry about my other applications crashing... I don't run anything else that was only developed halfway.