test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Macintosh Client is crashing

Comments

• skarp2skarp2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    devencombs wrote: »
    A new patch was released today that supposedly dealt with UI crashes. Well, the Macintosh client is still crashing.

Same here. And it is such a shame, because I think this game has a potential for the immersive gameplay I am looking for.

My specs:
    CPU: 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB
    RAM: 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3

Edit: iMac 27" late 2013
  • axonjaxon33axonjaxon33 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yep, still crashing out in Mac client. Same issue, same specs.
  • jaymclaughlinjaymclaughlin Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Thought you might like to see the response from Cryptic to my bug report...
    Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. Usually, graphics should be lowered down in case a program is running on the intel chip instead of the dedicated Graphics card.

Suggested solutions:

1. Please make sure you're using a wired connection as wireless can be interrupted by interference thus will disconnect you from the server and will end to a unresponsive program that leads to crashing.

2. From your game launcher choose "Options" from the top bar, check "Force verify," and uncheck "On-demand Patching." Save changes and then log in. The patcher will then examine every bit of game media and bring everything up to date since you disabled on-demand patching.

3. Close all programs that aren't needed to run the game to free up as much RAM as possible when playing the game

4. Compatibility issues for the programs such as TeamViewer, ASUS programs, Display Fusion, and Mumble are known to cause problems (please disable if you have these)

5. Disabling anti-aliasing:

- Launch the game and log in.
    - Press the Esc key and Click the "Options" button.
    - Click the "Video" tab at the top.
    - Click the box to show advanced video settings.
    - For Antialiasing, click the drop down menu and select "None".
    - Click the "OK" button.

6. Steam launcher should be disabled if you're using STO launcher.

7. If you're playing in the Tribble, please note that we do not provide support for the PTS. Instead, we highly encourage all PTS related reports to be posted in the appropriate forums which I've listed below for your convenience.

For bug and technical reports:
    Redshirt: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=336
    Tribble: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=229

For feedback and general discussion:
    Redshirt: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=337
    Tribble: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=250

For the latest updates and patch notes:
    Redshirt: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=335
    Tribble: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=228
    We appreciate your patience.

Regards,
    Liuna
    Game Master
    Perfect World Entertainment
    http://support.arcgames.com/

Anyone think this is a generic response and Liuna didn't actually read the bug report?
    animated.gif
  • devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Anyone think this is a generic response and Liuna didn't actually read the bug report?

I have tried all those suggestions and they don't work. This has nothing to do with our processors or graphics cards because the game was working fine before Delta Rising. It has everything to do with how the new expansion was coded. I wish they would acknowledge that.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited October 2014
    devencombs wrote: »
    I have tried all those suggestions and they don't work. This has nothing to do with our processors or graphics cards because the game was working fine before Delta Rising. It has everything to do with how the new expansion was coded. I wish they would acknowledge that.

Exactly. I already run this game on lower graphics, and it was working fine on October 13th. Shoot, it worked the morning of October 14th, before the patch. :(
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
    edited October 2014

Yeah, it's probably an automated response. The word "Mac" isn't even mentioned.

This still may be a general game issue, and they're still working out bugs... but still, very irritating. :( I don't like seeing all of these videos of how fun the game is, and I can't play. :mad:

Just keep bringing it to their attention, as firmly and respectfully as you can!!!
    edited October 2014
    Well we've been ignored on here and on twitter!

To be honest, I have suspicion that the problem may be related to Nvidia cards. Most macs use Nvidia cards, and there are some windows people having issues too... probably also using Nvidia cards.

Now... if you scroll to the bottom of the forum... you'll see some logos. Rule number 1 in most businesses... keep your advertisers happy! To do that, make sure the game is compatible with their products!!!

Of course I might be wrong, and it might just be that it's purely a mac issue. I'd rather it was a card problem though, as they're more likely to fix it if it's affecting windows users!
    animated.gif
    edited October 2014
    Well we've been ignored on here and on twitter!

To be honest, I have suspicion that the problem may be related to Nvidia cards. Most macs use Nvidia cards, and there are some windows people having issues too... probably also using Nvidia cards.

Now... if you scroll to the bottom of the forum... you'll see some logos. Rule number 1 in most businesses... keep your advertisers happy! To do that, make sure the game is compatible with their products!!!

Of course I might be wrong, and it might just be that it's purely a mac issue. I'd rather it was a card problem though, as they're more likely to fix it if it's affecting windows users!

I'm also hoping it's graphics card issues, for those reasons. I have an NVIDIA chip, and Intel processor... that's two of the logos at the bottom right there!

I know it feels like we're being ignored, and it's very frustrating... just keep bringing it to their attention!!!
    edited October 2014
    No mention of fixes in latest patch notes/emergency maintenance. :(

Keep on 'em until it's fixed, guys!
    edited October 2014
    So another patch while I was asleep.... changed nothing

The mac client is still showing errors on the loading screen and still crashing after a few mins!

Still no actual response on whether they're looking into this via any medium whatsoever!

:mad:
    animated.gif
    edited October 2014
    Yep, 4.5 to 5 hours of maintenance last night, and still no fix. :(

Given the craziness with the emergency repairs last night, I think they've got a lot of serious bugs on their hands. I'd like to think that they're spending their time fixing said bugs, not even having time to post on threads like this.

On to Twitter, though! Gotta let them know!
    edited October 2014
    They no doubt have lots of bugs and problems, and they all need to be sorted, and everyone will want their problem to be priority.

With that said, I'd place this as a pretty high priority though. There are people completely unable to play the game. That is far worse than some of the other problems they seem to be looking into.

I've tweeted, and retweeted, but as far as I can tell, no one has had a response of any description, from anyone, via any medium.

That's what bugs me the most!
    animated.gif
    edited October 2014
    They no doubt have lots of bugs and problems, and they all need to be sorted, and everyone will want their problem to be priority.

With that said, I'd place this as a pretty high priority though. There are people completely unable to play the game. That is far worse than some of the other problems they seem to be looking into.

I've tweeted, and retweeted, but as far as I can tell, no one has had a response of any description, from anyone, via any medium.

I know, I'm right there with you. :(

I changed my Aenar's uniform this morning... took 5 logins to do it. :(
    edited October 2014
    Lets hope they get something sorted today!
    animated.gif
  • shoujokakumeishoujokakumei Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The only response I've gotten is to get marked as spam on the official Facebook.
  • executiveoneexecutiveone Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited October 2014

What does one have to do to make the Known Issues list? I mean, I appreciate that there are a quite a few bugs with any expansive release, and I know (and appreciate that) the devs were working overtime last night to fix some of them. But you'd think this would rate a notch higher in the acknowledgment department than "The Vaadwaur missile in 'The Battle of Korfez' has incorrect art."
    edited October 2014
    you'd think this would rate a notch higher in the acknowledgment department than "The Vaadwaur missile in 'The Battle of Korfez' has incorrect art."

Exactly this!!!
    animated.gif
  • heffernan3heffernan3 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    workaround: not using any crappy overpriced apple hardware might seem to fix the problem.
  • nimrod5nimrod5 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The client just tried to upgrade to a new version, I got a message saying unable to patch and now I can't even open the game. At least I don't need to wait for it to crash now.
    edited October 2014
    Well maybe it's a sign that they're working on a fix?

I'm ever hopeful!!!
    animated.gif
  • nimrod5nimrod5 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    We can but hope.
    edited October 2014
    Well the launcher just updated... but then said it couldn't patch. Tried again and it wouldn't load at all.

So I deleted it and re-downloaded it.

It updated again... then patched... and now it's re-patching STO.

I'm trying not to get too excited!
    animated.gif
    edited October 2014
    If anyone has any success getting in-game, please post... and keep trying!

I fear we'll be in for a long, STO-less weekend... :(
  • lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited October 2014
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Devs,

A LOT more reports of crashes in this thread, from the Mac sub-forum: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1250901

Please look into this! Don't forget about us Mac users!!

Whats scary is that people actually think they'll be forgotten.
  • stormf0stormf0 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The new patch did not fix my crash issue. My mac client crashes after 2-3 minutes of gameplay. Graphics settings do not appear to be an issue; I have 512 MB graphics on my MacBook pro and had only rare crashes before the update. Something is still not right, but my crash window doesn't give me an error code to report. After trying to play through about 20 crashes tonight, I think I'm done for a while. I'll probably check in tomorrow to keep farming my DOFFs in sector space and hope to finish before crashing out again.

The sad thing is, what little taste I got of the new content was really, really cool, and I think STO did a great job with the story and atmosphere. If we could just solve the crashes, I'd be one happy Admiral. :)

Composer7777
  • whisperorwhisperor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Cryptic For God Sakes, please fix the bug issues that keep plaguing Mac Clients. How can anyone play when the game itself keeps crashing every two minute; what should've been a 2 minute section of a game takes roughly 45 MINUTES to complete because of the crashes.
  • yellowsunwarroryellowsunwarror Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Getting very frustrated!
    Running a Macbook Pro and the game worked perfectly until Delta Rising came out. I deleted the app and reinstalled - took me all day. Tried it and it crashed withing 2 minutes of starting. There doesn't appear to be any particular reason for it, I can be walking around, flying my ship or getting my DOFFs working on something and then it will just crash to desktop.
    Sent a ticket out and received the generic don't try to run the app with other programs running and to lower the display settings - even though I've been running the program for months perfectly before this. - Oh no it couldn't be we just did a huge upgrade to the site and forgot something...no it must be something I'm doing wrong right?
    I guess I wouldn't be so upset if I hadn't spent tons of money upgrading my ship and buying stuff..I'd just go play something else.
    Weird thing, my wife is playing the game on her Mac, she just started so she is just moving up the missions. I thought that maybe flying into the Delta Quadrant was the problem. She's still playing right now as we speak with little issues.
    Anyway...please fix this, been wanting to play and I don't get much time to do so.
    Please review my first Foundry Mission. Attention to orders.
    Mission Code: ST-HF7GJONHM - Update! This mission has graduated and can now be found in Browse All! Thank you everyone for your reviews.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014
    Yep, 4.5 to 5 hours of maintenance last night, and still no fix. :(

Given the craziness with the emergency repairs last night, I think they've got a lot of serious bugs on their hands. I'd like to think that they're spending their time fixing said bugs, not even having time to post on threads like this.

On to Twitter, though! Gotta let them know!

It would be great if they acknowledged there was a problem they are working on. I feel ignored.
    Mission Code: ST-HF7GJONHM - Update! This mission has graduated and can now be found in Browse All! Thank you everyone for your reviews.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014

Yup, this is what I got too. Pretty sure they aren't reading the detailed report I sent them either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited October 2014
    No mention of fixes in latest patch notes/emergency maintenance. :(

Keep on 'em until it's fixed, guys!

Aye. Even though I don't use Mac:
    FIX IT!
    Mac one of the two leading operating systems. Denying your Mac players if roughly like denying half of your playing population.
    PS: Macs are for people with money. So denying the Mac user population is denying your population with money.