What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Macintosh Client is crashing

Comments

• Options
    has422has422 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Welp, I am a brand new player. I literally found this game and signed up about three days ago. Got my first toon up to level 17 and now ... it crashes every few minutes. The game seems pretty cool but this is frustrating. I guess I'll watch and wait.

At least it's nice to know it's not just me.
  • Options
    amandar25amandar25 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I quite agree, mhall85. But it was the only way for me to get on last night and participate in my regular fleet rp night. The CrossOver is a free 14 day trial. I haven't committed to the full version yet (39$) but it does run the game BETTER than the mac client did, at least for me, so even if the devs don't fix the native mac issue within two weeks I may just keep it.
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited October 2014
    amandar25 wrote: »
    I quite agree, mhall85. But it was the only way for me to get on last night and participate in my regular fleet rp night. The CrossOver is a free 14 day trial. I haven't committed to the full version yet (39$) but it does run the game BETTER than the mac client did, at least for me, so even if the devs don't fix the native mac issue within two weeks I may just keep it.

Oh, that's fine... I mean, as users, you gotta do what you gotta do. :) I have no problem with players doing that!

I just don't want this to become the *official* solution to the problem... and there is precedence for this, given that the official solution to participate in livestream raffles is "run an emulator." :(

They're apparently working on it, though, so I shall remain hopeful!!!

(And thanks for the tip about CrossOver!)
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    jaymclaughlinjaymclaughlin Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    mhall85 wrote: »
    the official solution to participate in livestream raffles is "run an emulator." :(

Don't even get me started on that!!! I've missed several red matter capacitors, uniforms and an Oberth ship because of that!
    animated.gif
  • Options
    sykes79sykes79 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Run it via Windows Steam and all should be well.

Thanks for the info. I got STO installed via crossover, I've been playing for an hour and so far there has been no problems.:)
    SyD2j3q.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I would like to point out that running a VM or emulator, and having to spend extra money on said programs, is NOT a solution to the Mac problems. That's passing the buck. No one should have to pay for an extra piece of software when there *should* be a completely viable native option of the game.

Here's hoping we get a fix soon! Thanks for the hard work, devs!!!

I totally agree. My copy of crossover is a demo that will expire in about 14 days. Hopefully there will be solution for the official mac version long before then and I don't have to spend $34 just so I can play sto.
    SyD2j3q.jpg
  • Options
    amandar25amandar25 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hooray glad CrossOver is working for folks in a pinch! :D Hopefully all issues will be fixed soon.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Still no fix, and still no acknowledgement from the devs :mad:
    animated.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Hooray glad CrossOver is working for folks in a pinch! :D Hopefully all issues will be fixed soon.

This CrossOver is from CodeWeavers? There's a Mac and Linux version, yeah?

Just want to make sure I have the right one, in case I need to get the trial. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    This CrossOver is from CodeWeavers? There's a Mac and Linux version, yeah?

Just want to make sure I have the right one, in case I need to get the trial. :)

Yep, that's the one.:)
    SyD2j3q.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    sykes79 wrote: »
    Yep, that's the one.:)

Thanks! Go Team . :D
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I'm trying crossover... it's crashed on me 4 times so far, but I'm now downloading the STO patch

Hopefully it will work well enough while they bring out an actual fix
    animated.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I would also like to point out that this will be a program running inside a program running inside a program running inside a program running inside a program! (STO > Steam > Windows > Crossover > OS X) :rolleyes:
    animated.gif
  • Options
    g0mjabbarg0mjabbar Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I tried CrossOver and it does work for me, however it would not work through Steam. So I just found where Steam put the game and ran the .exe directly through CrossOver and that works fine. Had to download 10GB patch which took hours, and the Delta Rising loading screen took about 10 minutes to load the first time through. Other than that, game is running well and not crashing. FYI you can get a free trial of CrossOver for 14 days so hopefully they will fix it by then.
  • Options
    ahnuarahnuar Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am also having almost instant crashes. Game will not stay up for more than a few minutes before crashing to desktop.

I will mention that the game was performing with no issues prior to release of Delta Rising.

Only way I can play is to use Bootcamp and boot into my Win 7 installation.

Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 15"
    2.6 GHz Core i7
    16 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1 GB
    Mac OS X 10.9.5
  • Options
    skarp2skarp2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ahnuar wrote: »
    I am also having almost instant crashes. Game will not stay up for more than a few minutes before crashing to desktop.

Same for me. I just spent a few days downloading this game (I can only stay logged on for so long each night). So I was very disappointed when this started happen only a few minutes into the game. I am giving up completing the training after four crashes.

Note: I get an error message on the splash screen related to shader problem.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Still downloading the patch on crossover :eek:
    animated.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Patch finally finished... been stuck on the DR splash screen for the past 30mins though

Really don't think this crossover thing is a viable option!
    animated.gif
  • Options
    shoujokakumeishoujokakumei Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    For me, it crashes even faster under CrossOver than just running the Mac client. I can't even get past the loading screen. Had to download the STO installer twice because it crashed mid-download. Then had to download the patch twice because the same thing happened.
  • Options
    executiveoneexecutiveone Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Top item in the release notes for tomorrow's patch:
    Resolved a number of issues causing graphic and UI related crashes.

Here's hoping this includes our issue....
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Top item in the release notes for tomorrow's patch:

Here's hoping this includes our issue....

Yeah I saw that!

Fingers crossed!!!
    animated.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Saw the patch notes now, thanks for the tip-off guys! :)

I WANNA FLY MY DAUNTLESS!!!!
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I got to fly my Phantom today...it's awesome
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Updated with today's patch... crashed twice in the course of about 5-8 minutes. :( :mad:

Anyone else??
  • Options
    geohzardgeohzard Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yup, still crashing.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Yup.... Had so much hope and crashed within minutes!!!! :mad::mad:
    animated.gif
  • Options
    chrisdandorffchrisdandorff Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yes, also still crashing !!!

The strange thing is: I only crash on my iMac. When I play STO on my MacBook Air, it is completely stable.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Well, if any of you are on Twitter, hit up @trekonlinegame... be respectful, but let them know this problem persists!
  • Options
    g0mjabbarg0mjabbar Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Still crashing here as well, no change. Back to using PC version through CrossOver for now.
  • Options
    devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    A new patch was released today that supposedly dealt with UI crashes. Well, the Macintosh client is still crashing. My character was in Delta Quadrant command running toward the ground equipment vendor when the game froze and then crashed to the desktop. There was no crash error window. Once again here are my computer specs.

27" iMac
    Mac OS X 10.9.5
    3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB