test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why hasn't Cryptic revealed the ship upgrade Token cost?

Comments

• gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    And I'm sure that'll be the official story.

If I were Smirk and all, I'd be worrying more about Twitter and Facebook.

Far more public.

All sorts of people, STO players and non-STO players, will have a chance to see just how good PWE are at customer relations tomorrow.

Be interesting to see if any media pick it up.

Media never have before, I'll be very surprised if they do this time around.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    rinkster wrote: »

Be interesting to see if any media pick it up.

They barely picked up on the fact that Bungie just about lied about Destiny's content (BTW guys, what you're whining about here is very "first world" among MMO's. :P) I think DR costs being about what we expected (500-1000 zen for T5-U, somewhere between 2500-3500 zen for T6) isn't going to be of any general interest.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Make no doubt about it: This is ENTIRELY intentional.

It will likely be high. Plan on no lower than 1k zen. Sticker shock is best coated with the new shinines and distractions of DR.
    If it's that much, then forget it! I'm not shelling out that much for ships I've already paid for.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014
    stark2k wrote: »
    I guess that answers it, they should update their in game prices to reflect this. So in the end the ship upgrade cost will be 10 dollars a token. Borderline double dipping if you ask me.

Um, no. That IS double dipping!
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    It's a legitimate question irregardless of whether he can afford it or not. The communication department of Cryptic has been quite remiss in putting out blogs in a timely fashion and the announcement of the specifics of T5U upgrades came much too late. People should be given time to prepare and it's an issue that the player base has a right to debate considering how much investment we're talking about for players with multiple characters and ships.

Additionally, there is no real justification for the delay in disseminating this important info other than the developers fearing a serious backlash from the player base for what many consider to be triple dipping. Cryptic does have a right to charge us for new content but those charges should be reasonable and shouldn't remain a secret until the last minute.

Unfortunately, it seems the developers no longer respect the opinions of the player base on the need for more transparency about major changes to game play and the cost structure. I believe Taco said something like we're devs so just deal with it because your input no longer really matters (paraphrased of course).

well if that's true, then I have really lost all trust/faith in Cryptic as a company.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    Why even make a thread about it? You know your gonna upgrade your fav. ship. It wouldn't matter if it was 5000-10000 zen. Your gonna do it and DON'T LIE and say you won't. So when Deltas released just buy your token(s) and STFU.

P.S. Hope I didn't come off to strong. Didn't mean to if I did. Hope you have fun playing delta.

No, if the price was that high I WOULD NOT upgrade any ships! Myabe you should STFU! :mad:
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I'm not convinced that they're all that bothered about forum rage.

They're not. They're probably still embarrassed saying the number out-loud, though.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I find it discourteous, tbh. If you want our money, tell us at least how *much* of it you want! (And no, 'All of it!' is not an acceptable reply).

Agreed. Respect your consumer, particularly when you are asking for their money. However, given they revealed nothing yesterday I'd say we have our answer. Its going to be a lot more expensive than it should be and will be a greedy 1,000 Zen upgrade.

They are just being sneaky and avoiding it, hoping it'll be brushed over today in the excitement of launch.
  • vorga113vorga113 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    redheadguy wrote: »
    well if that's true, then I have really lost all trust/faith in Cryptic as a company.

You started off with faith in them? :confused:
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This - once the servers come backonline, subsequent to the big patch, MOST players will be in-game. The forum rage regarding costings will therefore be less as a by-product of there being less people logged into the forums.

Sure, until the server bursts into flame 10 minutes after launch and then it will be forum ragestorm ! :D
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    side comment re: "but they don't sell $5 of zen anymore, there won't be a $5 upgrade"...

...since when has the minimum sale of an online currency effected the prices on a cash shop? Heck, most fake-currency stores I've seen have some sort of pricing scheme that'll leave you with extra points/gil/zen/crystals/whatever left over.

And there are plenty of things on the zen store that are less than $5 (keys, doff & research packs, etc), even when they *did* offer a 500 zen purchase.

More likely is that they got tired of paying the credit-card service fees on such a small transaction. /shrug
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You know you could just level and then try to be new-elite rather than being ready with your wallet 14 days before the servers are patched

Developers might even take you seriously too
  • admiralcarteradmiralcarter Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    One thing popped into my mind recently...

Maybe there wont be any upgrade tokens that cost ZEN. Maybe they just port over the upgrade thing from tribble were you just can hit "Upgrade" and thats it...

Now that would be a surprise :eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Star Trek Online Intro HD [3rd Fleet Anniversary]

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Now that would be a surprise
    No, THAT would be a miracle.
    That would be something, a general free upgrade for everyone. Unlikely that it'll happen though. :P
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
    edited October 2014

Maybe there wont be any upgrade tokens that cost ZEN. Maybe they just port over the upgrade thing from tribble were you just can hit "Upgrade" and thats it...

Yeah. Except, there is no upgrade thing from tribble were you just can hit "Upgrade" and that's it. Ony for ships that get a free upgrade to begin with.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited October 2014
    Yeah. Except, there is no upgrade thing from tribble were you just can hit "Upgrade" and that's it. Ony for ships that get a free upgrade to begin with.

Last time I played I could upgrade my Odyssey for free by hitting "Upgrade" and thats what I meant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited October 2014
    Last time I played I could upgrade my Odyssey for free by hitting "Upgrade" and thats what I meant.

Odd. I tried my C-Story Ody, the other day, and it popped up a window asking me to purchase an upgrade token. And then, when I tried to, it failed, of course (as they closed off the C-Store). Only ships that get a free upgrade button were my lockbox ships.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited October 2014

From Cryptic ? That would be a bug, and you would see a server down and a hotfix in the hour. Maybe with a rollback. Just to be sure. But it wouldn't get through the QA, that's probably the first thing they double check.
    We are talking about one of their cash grab after all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The only problem with the whole "but they don't sell $5 of zen anymore" is that PWE hasn't stopped selling zen in $5 dollar amounts.

The charge page on Arc doesn't list the $5 dollar purchase option, but you can still buy zen in $5 dollar amounts from PWE's Charge Zen page.

Okay, that is odd. :)

But I'm still more willing to put it down to incompetence ("idiot web manager hasn't updated the page to match what the Arc developers are doing") than some conspiracy. :P
  • xstaythirstyxxstaythirstyx Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Odd. I tried my C-Story Ody, the other day, and it popped up a window asking me to purchase an upgrade token. And then, when I tried to, it failed, of course (as they closed off the C-Store). Only ships that get a free upgrade button were my lockbox ships.

You must have been playing on Tribble my friend, seems that your purchases do not port over from Holodeck - It's like re-buying everything again over there, but then again why purchase on tribble?
    [SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    WOW, not even a blog or anything on the main subject matter of this thread, and we are here, this is the day, the hour, the moment. :(

I am keeping my fingers cross and hoping everything is at the 500 Zen price, either that or at least cut the prices of all current CStore ships by half.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    edited October 2014
    You must have been playing on Tribble my friend, seems that your purchases do not port over from Holodeck - It's like re-buying everything again over there, but then again why purchase on tribble?

Of course your purchases carry over to Tribble. :) You just can't access the C-Store from inside Tribble.

And C-Store Ody was never going to get a free upgrade, far as I know.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited October 2014

Oh okay, they must have changed it then.

Was playing on Tribble like 3 weeks ago. It was possible back then. Guess no free upgrades then :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You just can't access the C-Store from inside Tribble.

You could before Delta Rising, and will probably be able to do so, after Redshirt is gone again ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's gonna be a surprise
    GwaoHAD.png
  • illisstr8illisstr8 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    It's gonna be a surprise

T-minus 2hrs & 7 minutes before DR launch, first place I am going to check is the CStore and search for the token cost. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • illisstr8illisstr8 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Here is my Tribute video for Delta R, enjoy, --> Final Countdown
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    illisstr8 wrote: »
    Here is my Tribute video for Delta R, enjoy, --> Final Countdown

I'm sry my dear but I prefer this version better, The Final Countdown mashup
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The only problem with the whole "but they don't sell $5 of zen anymore" is that PWE hasn't stopped selling zen in $5 dollar amounts.

The charge page on Arc doesn't list the $5 dollar purchase option, but you can still buy zen in $5 dollar amounts from PWE's Charge Zen page.

1. Go to Arc'c Charge page
    2. Scroll down and click on Already have ZEN? Go to My Wallet
    3. Then click on Charge Your ZEN

Select your payment method i.e. Paypal, Visa, etc. and then you'll be asked to select how much you wat to buy.

• $200.00 20,000 + 1,300
    • $100.00 10,000 + 600
    • $50.00 5,000 + 300
    • $30.00 3,000
    • $20.00 2,000
    • $10.00 1,000
    • $5.00 500

This works like a charm, every time. Just did it again to test, with $5.00.
    My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.