What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Starfleet Operative Gear

Comments

• Options
    coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Are we breaking into Ocampa again? Or mine with Neelix?
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sounds...interesting.

I remain cautiously optimistic.
  • Options
    bobosmrade1bobosmrade1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, I remember all those episodes where they used stealth jet packs...

...wait, no I don't. That's not Star Trek at all.

I do, however, remember several TNG, and a couple DS9 episodes in which they went on stealth/infiltration missions in all black outfits with ropes and grapples.

I'm beginning to think that the people who scream 'that's not Trek!' the loudest are actually the people who know the least about Star Trek.

I cant belive I didn't remember that. But, nothing is Trek today, not even TOS.
    Cave Troll vs Forum troll
    Know the difference
    It could save your life...
    rushatsi wrote: »
    pvp? whats dat?
    Pervert vs. Pervert!:eek:
  • Options
    kerriknightkerriknight Member Posts: 274
    edited September 2014
    trek21 wrote: »
    Loses it? On the contrary imo

As I stated, throughout TNG (gradually), DS9 and VOY, it was a subtle-yet-present trend that Starfleet was becoming more used to dealing with problems headfirst, through violence rather than talking first. Not to say they didn't try to talk first, but they got more and more used to ultimately answering problems with violence.

Now it's 30 years later, and they've been engaged in multiple wars for years, even before our player characters joined the battle.

It's an entirely realistic development that the Federation has changed it's approaches, and it's general mindset to match. They still want peace of course, but things are a lot less cushy than people want/expect them to be (in-story and out).

None of that has anything to do with what I said.

I'm not arguing that it isn't "realistic" to expect a mindset of seeing violence as an acceptable tool from those who've known ceaseless warfare for going on 2 generations, I'm saying this IP loses its unique character and feel.

Yeah, its a subjective assessment, but focusing on the "human thirst for new knowledge and scientific discoveries" was what set Star Trek apart from a lot of other science fiction that all focus on a war between this species and that species.
  • Options
    coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well we can either be excited, pessimistic, or just not care either way til launch.

I am in the indifferent camp until we know the limitations of this new mechanic are.

By chance that we can used these in Social Maps... expect Klingon Batmans to run around scaling wall inside First City... or people reaching the Starfleet Academy Shuttlebay finally.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This will be fun. I can see my old Admiral doing this like a young man. ;)
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    coffeemike wrote: »
    Well we can either be excited, pessimistic, or just not care either way til launch.

I am in the indifferent camp until we know the limitations of this new mechanic are.

By chance that we can used these in Social Maps... expect Klingon Batmans to run around scaling wall inside First City... or people reaching the Starfleet Academy Shuttlebay finally.

I would be finaly be able to climb the old ESD Exchange... Good times...
    Know the difference
    pvp? whats dat?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    farmallm wrote: »
    This will be fun. I can see my old Admiral doing this like a young man. ;)

Remember, Picard was 74 years old in ST:Nemesis :)
    Know the difference
    pvp? whats dat?
  • Options
    alan171717alan171717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The 'civilizing influence of the Federation'?

That sounds horribly horribly imperialistic, with governments that are hundreds, or thousands, or in one case millions of years old I would hardly call them uncivilized.
    "I am a travelor of both time and space to be where I have been"
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    alan171717 wrote: »

That sounds horribly horribly imperialistic, with governments that are hundreds, or thousands, or in one case millions of years old I would hardly call them uncivilized.

Despite that, what we've seen of the Delta Quadrant would imply a vast, wild n' woolly frontier. Just as the American West had bastions of civilization among a wild frontier.

And there is nothing "imperialistic" about those comments. It's just a Federation-centric view by a Starfleet officer. Nothing more.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The star trek theme will now be replaced with the mission impossible theme song.

I can't wait to see all the ferrengi heist missions associated with this gear rofl.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    alan171717 wrote: »

Starfleet is imperialistic, just in other ways.

Just take a peak at military agreements with the Cardassians, they removed a threat with a treaty.
    Know the difference
    pvp? whats dat?
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    DR just means more shielding, stronger weapons payloads, more tricks of the trade in consoles tech. What actually are we all going to face in DR unlike the Borg, Voth, Undine kinda know already had to deal a heavy hand with them. Who's next? ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Remember, Picard was 74 years old in ST:Nemesis :)

Mine isn't too far from that age. Since I made my character fought in the Dominion War on his history. So he is old and grey headed.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    STO + More grind + Metal Gear = Delta Rising
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The star trek theme will now be replaced with the mission impossible theme song.

I can't wait to see all the ferrengi heist missions associated with this gear rofl.

STO will get heists before GTA V online :D
    Know the difference
    pvp? whats dat?
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The whole blog:
    The grapple gun has three settings: traverse, which lets you cross a more or less horizontal plane; zipline, that uses gravity to propel you in a controlled slide at an angle; and rappel, which allows you to drop down a vertical surface safely.

Next blog: You get a new gun...
    ect, ect

Already got some delta-marks on tribble, so new rep ??
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    farmallm wrote: »
    Mine isn't too far from that age. Since I made my character fought in the Dominion War on his history. So he is old and grey headed.

My main toons first post was in Fed-Cardassian war in 2353 :D
    Know the difference
    pvp? whats dat?
  • Options
    aaron6970aaron6970 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    How much you wanna bet this is going to be a Lobi item? ;)
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    STO + More grind + Metal Gear = Delta Rising

We already had a Metal Gear vibe when they introduced Voth powered battle suits (i.e. "mechs). It just lacked the sneak n' peak aspect.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Next on the blog list : Starfleet Intelligence Toilets ! Flushing was never that stealthy before ! :D

No, it's fine, a blog about a single item, sounds fun....... :)
  • Options
    darthvrooksdarthvrooks Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I truly can not wait to see the hysterical types of bugs this thing has or causes in game. The possibilities are limitless...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    In game handle @darthvrooks
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    coffeemike wrote: »

They still thirst for this knowledge. But they have decided to be more careful about it.

It also seems to me that the Federation is decidely going on the Offensive. The background story for the first new mission explains that Chakotay (as head of Intelligence) is in search of the Iconians. Tuvok's objective is to find Cooper and stop the Undine attacks.

Not that anyone of us (or anyone in Starfleet) has to like the situation. But it's not like Starfleet is saying: "We must solve all our problems with violence now". But they are facing factions that actively threaten the Federation and the only way to get them to talk is to use violence first to convince them that this is not the way to success.

That so many factions don't want to talk and force us in combat of course is a choice of the writers for the sake of getting the players do the fun exploding starships stuff thingy this game is so good at.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    What you're missing is that this is the method that we're going to get to the DQ.

Ha!

/10chars
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    In a world where there are such things as transporters, why do we need a grapple gun? Other than to pseudo-LARP that our characters are now Batman?

Transporters are easily detected by scanners and leave behing traces. Also, terrible things happen when using transporters.... Tuvix ! :eek:
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    Transporters are easily detected by scanners and leave behing traces. Also, terrible things happen when using transporters.... Tuvix ! :eek:

I don't think all people like their molecules compressed into a data stream.
    Know the difference
    pvp? whats dat?
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    qjunior wrote: »

Also things like transport inhibitors, interference, etc. Take your pick. Sometimes the low tech approach is the best one.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter