Install Arc
Options

Starfleet Operative Gear

Comments

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    Is this an actual piece of equipment, or some "Press F to traverse/zipline/rappel" garbage?

Well one would break absolutely every piece of level geometry in STO and the other is going to enable some sweet situational gameplay. Which do you think?
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Askray
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    a3001 wrote: »
    Why not? It's their game. Stay in the alpha quadrant if you wish.

He might still end up repelling down a cave to snag a group of Denobulan geologists so he's probably not save wherever he goes. :P
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    britewolfbritewolf Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    stomperx99 wrote: »
    I'M BATMAN!!

:cool:

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Askray
    General T'Reirr Asei
    Captain of the venerable I.K.S. Y'Kun.
    Warrior of the Empire; Savior of Cookies; Lord of String; Devious Little S*!7
    #PlomeekSoupForTheIndifferent #AmNotFluffy #Klingons4Equality #PriorityOneRocks #ShortButPouncey

#MaybeALittleFluffy
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    bobosmrade1bobosmrade1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Nice. Really nice. I wonder what arguments Delta Rising haters will spit out when they read this.
    Cave Troll vs Forum troll
    Know the difference
    It could save your life...
    rushatsi wrote: »
    pvp? whats dat?
    Pervert vs. Pervert!:eek:
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I like it. Provided you let me do some Assassin's Creed style zipline assassinations.

(Okay not really serious. Well, maybe a little. :P)
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Nice. Really nice. I wonder what arguments Delta Rising haters will spit out when they read this.
    Probably that they won't be handed one for free. OH OH or that they think it'll cost 4k zen because CRYPTIC GREEDY. Or maybe they don't even believe we're getting one at all. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Ugh, this imperialist language disturbs me greatly, especially coming from a Starfleet representative.

I know Intelligence officers are likely to have their own perspective on things, but...ugh.

Wellcome to Cryptic's imperialistic, militaristic and sociopathic Federation. We might as well be in the MU now.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,323 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Going 3d on the battlefield. Not as extreme as jetpacks in every map, but i like the promise this brings.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited September 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Probably that they won't be handed one for free. OH OH or that they think it'll cost 4k zen because CRYPTIC GREEDY. Or maybe they don't even believe we're getting one at all. :rolleyes:

Actually, it will be a pay-per-use device (100 ZEN per use)... and THAT will only be unlocked after the new Grapple Gun Mastery system is unlocked. In three months time. :P
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    a3001 wrote: »
    Why not? It's their game. Stay in the alpha quadrant if you wish.

Considering we have jet packs there is no need for grapple guns as for staying in the alpha quadrant I may just leave the game for a unknown length of time if I want to use a grapple I would play a actions game. I play this game because it was star trek now it's just a standard space shooting game. To those who like this that's fine but this is not the reason I play and this makes it easier to play other things.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Based on the threads that pop up with the Summer and Winter Events, I can only imagine the threads that will pop up with mechanics such as these...
  • Options
    kerriknightkerriknight Member Posts: 274
    edited September 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Ugh, this imperialist language disturbs me greatly, especially coming from a Starfleet representative.

I know Intelligence officers are likely to have their own perspective on things, but...ugh.

Yeah, maybe it's because I was just reading/posting on the superiority complex of the Founders, but this is that exact same attitude on display (maybe they've continued to infiltrate SFHQ?).

This is the language of aggressive territorial expansion, not scientific exploration.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Wellcome to Cryptic's imperialistic, militaristic and sociopathic Federation. We might as well be in the MU now.

Nah mu is more civilised
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Seriously? A grappling gun? What, did anti-grav tech suddenly become useless in the 25th century? (and 'in universe' it's been used easily since Kirk's time in the 23rd century.) Gotta love how they use 20th century tech in the far future, eh?

Link:: Star Trek 5: Drop In for Dinner
  • Options
    harryhausenharryhausen Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    robeasom wrote: »
    Considering we have jet packs there is no need for grapple guns as for staying in the alpha quadrant I may just leave the game for a unknown length of time if I want to use a grapple I would play a actions game. I play this game because it was star trek now it's just a standard space shooting game. To those who like this that's fine but this is not the reason I play and this makes it easier to play other things.

Yeah, I remember all those episodes where they used stealth jet packs...

...wait, no I don't. That's not Star Trek at all.

I do, however, remember several TNG, and a couple DS9 episodes in which they went on stealth/infiltration missions in all black outfits with ropes and grapples.

I'm beginning to think that the people who scream 'that's not Trek!' the loudest are actually the people who know the least about Star Trek.

BridgeBOPSTIII.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    Is this an actual piece of equipment, or some "Press F to traverse/zipline/rappel" garbage?
    The gear is most likely mission exclusive; thus, they will be similar to the flying EV suits.

Something tells me that this may also be a reputation system reference.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Based on the threads that pop up with the Summer and Winter Events, I can only imagine the threads that will pop up with mechanics such as these...

Well people were asking for rock climbing as the next Risa activity (it's also canon [See. Ent] so this is a convenient development for next summer.) I would be more interested to see them try something with this during the winter event (scale a mountain in the shape of Q's face while fighting off the elements/little Q's for the new ship grind?)
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, maybe it's because I was just reading/posting on the superiority complex of the Founders, but this is that exact same attitude on display (maybe they've continued to infiltrate SFHQ?).

This is the language of aggressive territorial expansion, not scientific exploration.
    But I think we're forgetting something; Starfleet has become more used to dealing with violent wars and other such things since Picard's time (gradually), then the Dominion war and Janeways time in the Delta Quadrant made it more evident. Now we're in 2010, and they've dealt with multiple wars for an extended period of time

I'm not surprised that instinctively, the usual diplomacy-first approach is simply not the way to go yet, until they've had years of peace to go through and revert back to that mindset imo

So no, the Federation hasn't really changed overnight, but it is being cautious
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    TNG chain of command part 1, 16 minutes in watch from there ok.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I do, however, remember several TNG, and a couple DS9 episodes in which they went on stealth/infiltration missions in all black outfits with ropes and grapples.
    'Star Trek: TNG' episode "Chain of Command".
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    'Star Trek: TNG' episode "Chain of Command".

Also Star Trek: Enterprise episode "The Xindi" (Mako deployment)
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Ah, came in here to post some examples from episodes, but it looks like you guys have it well in hand. Good show.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    kerriknightkerriknight Member Posts: 274
    edited September 2014
    trek21 wrote: »
    But I think we're forgetting something; Starfleet has become more used to dealing with violent wars and other such things since Picard's time (gradually), then the Dominion war and Janeways time in the Delta Quadrant made it more evident. Now we're in 2010, and they've dealt with multiple wars for an extended period of time

I'm not surprised that instinctively, the usual diplomacy-first approach is simply not the way to go yet, until they've had years of peace to go through and revert back to that mindset imo

So no, the Federation hasn't really changed, but it is being cautious

Yeah, thus is the problem with expanding lore through gameplay. It almost always has to be presented in terms of a new species we're at war with.

Star Trek loses some of its unique character if the recent galactic history is dominated by serial warfare.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Also Star Trek: Enterprise episode "The Xindi" (Mako deployment)
    'Star Trek: TNG' episode "Bloodlines".

Picard and Jason Vigo (Picard's fake son) also used grappling equipment on the holodeck.
  • Options
    atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sounds perfect for deep cover agents of the Romulan Star Empire!

Down with the Alliance!
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, thus is the problem with expanding lore through gameplay. It almost always has to be presented in terms of a new species we're at war with.

Star Trek loses some of its unique character if the recent galactic history is dominated by serial warfare.
    Loses it? On the contrary imo

As I stated, throughout TNG (gradually), DS9 and VOY, it was a subtle-yet-present trend that Starfleet was becoming more used to dealing with problems headfirst, through violence rather than talking first. Not to say they didn't try to talk first, but they got more and more used to ultimately answering problems with violence.

Now it's 30 years later, and they've been engaged in multiple wars for years, even before our player characters joined the battle.

It's an entirely realistic development that the Federation has changed it's approaches, and it's general mindset to match. They still want peace of course, but things are a lot less cushy than people want/expect them to be (in-story and out).
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Are these grappling guns only going to be useful for a single mission and basically be a waste of inventory space after completing it?
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.