test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dilithium Exchange went freefall

riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
http://imgur.com/DfEojUM

Now at 120k total available.

Keeps going downwards...

I'd like to meet the genius that decided that T5 upgrades would cost Zen.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You expected different?
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    You expected different?

No, but surely not to such degree of available Zen. 120k is everything there is in the system.
    edited August 2014
    No, but surely not to such degree of available Zen. 120k is everything there is in the system.

Ofcourse. The owners of all the Zen just heard that it's going to cost zen to upgrade to tier 5 U, so they are going to jack the price as high as they can to get Dil hand over fist.

Sad part is, it will work.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Way to break your game Cryptic... :rolleyes:
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Only way it will reverse course would be a new fleet holding or new tiers for existing ones. Outside of those two scenarios, it will keep going up because Cryptic hasn't come up with new meaningful dil sinks.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Only way it will reverse course would be a new fleet holding or new tiers for existing ones. Outside of those two scenarios, it will keep going up because Cryptic hasn't come up with new meaningful dil sinks.
    As I said elsewhere, I think we can expect a new Fleet Embassy in the Delta Quadrant once we get there, so that will drive some of the price down. Plus who knows what we will have to do to get Mk XIV gear.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Keeps freefalling. less than 70k zen available.
    edited August 2014
    Keeps freefalling. less than 70k zen available.
    It's 7 AM where I am at - 5 AM where Cryptic is at. Most people are barely awake in the US right now to put anything on the Exchange. Come back in 12 hours, after work/school and lets see where it is at. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    It's 7 AM where I am at - 5 AM where Cryptic is at. Most people are barely awake in the US right now to put anything on the Exchange. Come back in 12 hours, after work/school and lets see where it is at. :)

East Coast very awake.
    edited August 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    East Coast very awake.
    Yeah, 8 AM there, but that does not mean people jump up and immediately run to STO. They have to get ready for work/school and so on. As I said, look again in US prime time, not early morning.
  • williamknight50williamknight50 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    May not be popular with you all in this thread however... Excellent, Hopefully the price will continue to increase. I miss the days of 350 plus dil per Zen. ( I am totally serious)
    Original name before the merge Ice_Knight. Join Date 7/29/08
  • caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited August 2014

You know this is an international game right?
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I guess good news for me who uses Zen to Dilithium, not so much for the other guys. I think Cryptic thought the Crafting system was going to be a Dilithium sink; I don't think it's having the effect they had in mind though.

Many of my fleet mates are just "meh" about it still allowing certain individuals get to level quick and then giving those individuals the components required to craft for them.

A new fleet holding or new Mk XIV gear through the fleet might be wants needed; would also help to make large fleets more desirable.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have 30k zen and 800 k dilithium. And they aren't going anywhere near the exchange.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
    edited August 2014
    caldannach wrote: »
    The fact that it is international does not mean an equal number of players come from each country.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well something like this was to be expected....escpecially after they dropped the bomb with the "pay zen for upgrade" thing.
    My guess is that aside from 1 new holding that the mk XIV gear will probaly cost immense ammounts of dilithium. 50k per item wouldn't suprise me since they spoiled us with all the dil events, first weekend and now the project which rewards 50k upon completion.
  • caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The fact that it is international does not mean an equal number of players come from each country.

Sure.....guess your next comment will be 'MURICA.

Do you have the statistics for where the proportions of STO players come from? I would actually be curious to see them if you do.
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
    edited August 2014

While I do not disagree, you cant completely discount the international player base. I have seen plenty of people on at non US prime times. Plenty of Germans and Australians and other nationalities that play STO. Seen plenty of German and other language No Win Scenario messages at various times.
    edited August 2014
    Sure.....guess your next comment will be 'MURICA.

Do you have the statistics for where the proportions of STO players come from? I would actually be curious to see them if you do.
    No, but since this is the time of day when Cryptic normally has Server Maintenance - and they have stated many times that they have Maintenance when their Server Data indicates it is their least number of people are online to be affected, it is safe to assume that now is not their peak period. So now is not the time to jump to Exchange conclusions.

Come back in 12 hours after European Prime has hit and US Prime is coming into play and you will have a better indication.
  • mercurythefirstmercurythefirst Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited August 2014

The majority of Star Trek fans are from the Americas and Europe. The prior is sleeping, the latter is working.

Edit: Are you sure they didn't just shut down offers in the exchange because of the upcoming maintenance?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    bloodpact.net

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."

-Michelangelo
    edited August 2014
    While I do not disagree, you cant completely discount the international player base. I have seen plenty of people on at non US prime times. Plenty of Germans and Australians and other nationalities that play STO. Seen plenty of German and other language No Win Scenario messages at various times.
    You are missing the point by assuming I am being pro-America or anti-Europe. That is not the case. My point is that 7 AM is not prime time in America and 2 PM is not prime time in Germany. Most Americans are not gaming at this time of day because it is early and most Europeans are either at school or still at work. Using data based on this time of the day is just flawed. Use the data from after Euro and US prime has hit.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    May not be popular with you all in this thread however... Excellent, Hopefully the price will continue to increase. I miss the days of 350 plus dil per Zen. ( I am totally serious)

You are correct, it is not popular.

The reason for this is easy even for you to understand: High prices for zen into dilithium favor those who spend real life money, but it put those who play F2P and do not have Rl money to spend at a disadvantage.

Those who play F2P greatly outnumber those who throw down RL money and when the F2P part of the community is hurt then the community as a whole and the dilithium exchange in tow will grind to a snail's pace .

Therefor, towering high conversion prices for zen into dilithium hurt everybody.

Edit: Personally i will take it very slow with upgrading the T5 ships i have in my possession and not get caught up in this frenzy.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited August 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    You are correct, it is not popular.

The reason for this is easy even for you to understand: High prices for zen into dilithium favor those who spend real life money, but it put those who play F2P and do not have Rl money to spend at a disadvantage.

Those who play F2P greatly outnumber those who throw down RL money and when the F2P part of the community is hurt then the community as a whole and the dilithium exchange in tow will grind to a snail's pace .

Therefor, towering high conversion prices for zen into dilithium hurt everybody.

Gee isn't the Dilithium exchange just like how the stock exchange works? Yeap, the rich DGAF, they just want MOAR and they really don't care what the poor has or does not have.
    afMSv4g.jpg

edited August 2014
    You are missing the point by assuming I am being pro-America or anti-Europe. That is not the case. My point is that 7 AM is not prime time in America and 2 PM is not prime time in Germany. Most Americans are not gaming at this time of day because it is early and most Europeans are either at school or still at work. Using data based on this time of the day is just flawed. Use the data from after Euro and US prime has hit.

I was not making that assumption and you are making an assumption based on an assumption that was not made. Lets start again.

A portion of the player base is sleeping and another is working. As I said, Australia is still up and I know plenty of Australian players. All I am saying is that we cant solely base the econemy of Dil and Zen solely on the US and European player base. Note Its 8:36 am right now so I am heading out to work shortly.
  • mercurythefirstmercurythefirst Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As I said, Australia is still up and I know plenty of Australian players

Australia has a population of 20 million.

USA has 380 million.

Europe has 600 million.

I know a lot of Norwegian gamers, since there are so many of them, they'll keep the dil exchange alive, right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    bloodpact.net

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."

-Michelangelo
    edited August 2014
    I was not making that assumption and you are making an assumption based on an assumption that was not made. Lets start again.

A portion of the player base is sleeping and another is working. As I said, Australia is still up and I know plenty of Australian players. All I am saying is that we cant solely base the econemy of Dil and Zen solely on the US and European player base. Note Its 8:36 am right now so I am heading out to work shortly.
    No, we cannot base it only on the US and Europe, but we can say that the majority of players have the biggest impact, and the majority of players are not online yet. That is all I am saying. We are several hours away from when the majority of players will hit the Servers.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014

For reference.

Australia has a population of ~23 Millions.
    USA has a population of ~313 Millions
    GErmany has a population of ~82 Millions.

If the available Zen in the Dilithium Exchange is in correlation with "prime time" numbers for population centers in the world, this could imply that in the EU/USA primetime area, there will be 12 times more Zen in the Exchange than during the Australian primetimes.

That would blow the current 120K numbers to 1,480K.

Though maybe it will mean the opposite, because also 12 times as many people suddenly grab every Zen they can.

I guess it's time to sell my stipend.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It'll be arrested if they announce that getting Mk XIV gear involves dilithium in some way.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    exchange was up to 200zen to 1dil last I looked and stocks was running out fast.

there may be a lot of ftp gamers who are looking to get zen to upgrade t5 ships or buy t6 ships but there are likewise an equal number of zen buyers who will be holding tight to there zen for the same reasons.
    I can see the zen/dil exchange drying up completely for the foreseeable future the way things are going.
    t6 ships I can live with, introducing them with the level upgrade was inevitable but charging zen to halfway upgrade some existing ships is inexcusable, ive seen cryptic make some poor decisions but to charge money/zen for t5 upgrades has got to be the biggest blunder ever.
    I have always defended cryptic in the past when people complained about hidden costs like this but im thinking now that the players who said that all they want to do is line their pockets were closer to the truth then I would like to think.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

edited August 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Gee isn't the Dilithium exchange just like how the stock exchange works? Yeap, the rich DGAF, they just want MOAR and they really don't care what the poor has or does not have.

I wouldn't compare the multi millionaires and billionaires to those that make 25k to 35k a year. That's borderline insulting. However as a MMO player for the last 15 years I can say that I have no qualms on dropping 15 to 30 dollars a month in a game that I enjoy. I just like the idea that the 15 to 30 $ I may drop in Zen will go allot farther if I am buying Dil.

As for free to play, players, I will not get too deep into that, I do not like the perceived entitlement some to most of these players seem to have. Why pay for something when you can get it for free. When you cant get it for free complain because its a FTP game.