What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dilithium Exchange went freefall

Comments

• Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is Exactly what I said would happen if they made the upgrades cost zen instead of dilithium. Hit 200 this morning on it's way to 400 very soon. A very sad decision in my opinion. So easy to have made it dilithium instead. It shows a real lack of concern and a pure desire for $$$$$$$

So... we'll be looking at 20 zen a day you can earn or 600 a month. In a way that doesn't sound so bad, but you have to figure in how much things actually cost. To buy a new ship = 5 months. 10 keys = 2 months. Free to play? I'm not so sure.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    at last check over an hour ago it got as high as 215. i wonder if sto has the same dil cap at 500 nw does.

the dil exchange at the time of this ticket stamp shows 195.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is Exactly what I said would happen if they made the upgrades cost zen instead of dilithium. Hit 200 this morning on it's way to 400 very soon. A very sad decision in my opinion. So easy to have made it dilithium instead. It shows a real lack of concern and a pure desire for $$$$$$$

So... we'll be looking at 20 zen a day you can earn or 600 a month. In a way that doesn't sound so bad, but you have to figure in how much things actually cost. To buy a new ship = 5 months. 10 keys = 2 months. Free to play? I'm not so sure.

I have no problem with the current trend. From my perspective F2P or not if youre willing/capable of investing RL money into a game then you deserve the pay off. And no Im not talking about P2W. But since theres a RL Money to IG Money Exchange. It only makes sense that those infusing the game with the life blood that keeps it alive are better off for it.
  • Options
    rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Last night (uk time) after the annoucement zen shot up to over 180 a zen i thought it was going to climb to over 200 at one point. I hope to get home in tim e before it goes up again.
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have always defended cryptic in the past when people complained about hidden costs like this but im thinking now that the players who said that all they want to do is line their pockets were closer to the truth then I would like to think.

The whole upgarde system is a cash grab, better realizing it now than later.
    Yeah the upgrades may be account wide here comes the catch:

The upgrade gives your ship +10% hull & shields and +1 console slot.

Just think about, even with the extra "upgrade" the normal T5s (most of the c-store ships) are just gonna be same lavel as our current fleet ships, minus the scaling and mastery of course.

Only upgraded fleet ships will have the same stats as true T6 Ships. It's nice that even the upgrade on fleet ships is supposed to be account-wide but even then you have to buy a fleet ship for every character you want to use it on which again costs zen for fleet ship modules for every additional ship.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,323 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have no problem with the current trend. From my perspective F2P or not if youre willing/capable of investing RL money into a game then you deserve the pay off. And no Im not talking about P2W. But since theres a RL Money to IG Money Exchange. It only makes sense that those infusing the game with the life blood that keeps it alive are better off for it.

I don't think anyone minds that those investing RL money get their pay off, but greed and wishing it goes as high as 350 is something else.

Personally i get the impression that the rate (last i checked it was 200) is at the point where F2P players start breaking away from the game.

If a large part of the F2P community breaks away, or at the very least considers taking an extended break from the game, then everybody gets hurt.

The exchange should realistically never go above 150-160.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah the upgrades may be account wide here comes the catch:

The upgrade gives your ship +10% hull & shields and +1 console slot.
    It also grants you access to 4 of the 5 special Admiral abilities. For some reason people always seem to overlook that. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

what does this have to do with anything. Are you talking about buying zen to convert to dilithium? If so, then great! That's the only thing that will save the market.

What we're talking about here is the fact that all of these games have a mechanism to earn the real world currency. STO has been very fair about this for a long time in my opinion. But with prices soaring to a possible 400 it no longer feels fair to me.

in purchasing 2 lifetime subscriptions I feel I've contributed my fair share of $$$$$$$$$$ as well.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    edited August 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    I don't think anyone minds that those investing RL money get their pay off, but greed and wishing it goes as high as 350 is something else.

Personally i get the impression that the rate (last i checked it was 200) is at the point where F2P players start breaking away from the game.

If a large part of the F2P community breaks away, or at the very least considers taking an extended break from the game, then everybody gets hurt.

The exchange should realistically never go above 150-160.

I think youre blowing this way out of proportions here. Theres no telling how many F2Pers actually turn to the Exchange. Let alone if it will instigate a mass exodus from the game.

This sounds more like a Doom post then anything else. From my perspective 200-250 is the solid ground considering Zen represents real money.
  • Options
    caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    For reference.

Australia has a population of ~23 Millions.
    USA has a population of ~313 Millions
    GErmany has a population of ~82 Millions.

If the available Zen in the Dilithium Exchange is in correlation with "prime time" numbers for population centers in the world, this could imply that in the EU/USA primetime area, there will be 12 times more Zen in the Exchange than during the Australian primetimes.

That would blow the current 120K numbers to 1,480K.

Though maybe it will mean the opposite, because also 12 times as many people suddenly grab every Zen they can.

I guess it's time to sell my stipend.

Mate are you really that clueless about the rest of the world and its Geography that you quote Germany's population like its the only European nation that has STO players?

That was my whole bugbear in this thread, a seeming lack of knowledge of an area that has a roughly equal size and a bigger population than the USA.

Germany is not Europe.

Europe is Europe.

There are a lot of European players that play this game, from Western Europe, to Scandinavia, through to Eastern Europe.

US players may be the most outspoken, doesn't mean they are the majority. Though they might be, i'm not disputing that, then again so could Euro players. Until i see some facts and figures showing either, i make no assumptions and neither should anyone else.
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    It's 7 AM where I am at - 5 AM where Cryptic is at. Most people are barely awake in the US right now to put anything on the Exchange. Come back in 12 hours, after work/school and lets see where it is at. :)

I think the majority of the playerbase is probably asian... STO's buissness model is exactly them.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    what does this have to do with anything. Are you talking about buying zen to convert to dilithium? If so, then great! That's the only thing that will save the market.

What we're talking about here is the fact that all of these games have a mechanism to earn the real world currency. STO has been very fair about this for a long time in my opinion. But with prices soaring to a possible 400 it no longer feels fair to me.

in purchasing 2 lifetime subscriptions I feel I've contributed my fair share of $$$$$$$$$$ as well.

1.) Youre speculating as to how far it will go. Theres no telling if it will make it to 300 let alone 400.

2.) If you have 2 lifetime Subs...Thats 1k Zen a month in your pocket. If you purchased the LFS anytime during the first year or two of the game. Its more then payed itself off and youre now seeing a profit in regards to your investment. So by all means youre safe.

3.) Ima ask you the same thing. What does this have to do with anything?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    caldannach wrote: »
    Europe is Europe.
    Either way, we are not in European or American prime time yet - and American prime time covers all the Americas from Canada to the southern tip of Argentina.

And Germany was brought up because I responded to someone who specifically mentioned Germany as his example.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    I think the majority of the playerbase is probably asian... STO's buissness model is exactly them.
    PW has just recently started converting NWNs for their Asian market. I would not be surprised to see STO follow suit next year.
  • Options
    riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Guess now we really need a new Fleet Holding, a huge dilithium sink that might provide intelligence boffs, some MK XIV gear, stuff like that. Would rebalance things, there's too much dilithium in the system.

And in a week we're going to get the rewards from CE. uh-oh...
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well, as the saying goes "vote with your wallets", well, it looks like people are ravenously stockpiling zen. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    PW has just recently started converting NWNs for their Asian market. I would not be surprised to see STO follow suit next year.

To me, STO is down to a Facebook game... Log in, assign your tasks, log out...

There is no difference... On a rare occasion, something new is added, you go check it out, and then likely never come back.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    To me, STO is down to a Facebook game... Log in, assign your tasks, log out...

There is no difference... On a rare occasion, something new is added, you go check it out, and then likely never come back.
    Well, that is your choice. I am a firm believer in the idea that there is no hobby I will not eventually get bored with - especially when you only do that one thing every day.

As I always say, if I only watched I Love Lucy on TV 3 hours a day for months to years I would be very bored with I Love Lucy too. That is why TV shows come on once a week - watching other things keeps you from getting bored with your favorite shows. Just as you need a lot of different TV programs and movies to keep from being bored people need a lot of different gaming experiences to keep from being bored.

Heck, there is even times when I am bored with all MMO gaming and do not play any of my games. :)
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    caldannach wrote: »
    Mate are you really that clueless about the rest of the world and its Geography that you quote Germany's population like its the only European nation that has STO players?
    Get Real - It was not really relevant For the point I was to make whether I did only take US + Germany figures or US + Europe figures. It's a whole magnitude of difference between US + Germany than Australia. I Didn't need to bother to google the exact Europe figures for that point. Since cosmic mentioned Germany specifically, I started with looking for the current Germany population figure.

That said, I am clueless about geography, but I know that Germany is not Europe. At least not yet. Muhahaha.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well, that is your choice. I am a firm believer in the idea that there is no hobby I will not eventually get bored with - especially when you only do that one thing every day.

As I always say, if I only watched I Love Lucy on TV 3 hours a day for months to years I would be very bored with I Love Lucy too. That is why TV shows come on once a week - watching other things keeps you from getting bored with your favorite shows. Just as you need a lot of different TV programs and movies to keep from being bored people need a lot of different gaming experiences to keep from being bored.

Heck, there is even times when I am bored with all MMO gaming and do not play any of my games. :)

that analogy doesnt really fly either, ncis used to be a big thing but its worn out its purpose years ago and i just stopped watching it because its always the same thing each week. a variation on a theme isnt exactly a new concept.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014

This is actually highly unlikely, as the majority of the Trans-Pacific cable links are over subscribed for their capacity, resulting in persistent lag and connection problems... Hope Google hurries up with that Trans-Pacific cable project...
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The amount of clueless people crying doom over Zen hitting 200 Dil certainly gave me a sensible chuckle.
    This is actually highly unlikely, as the majority of the Trans-Pacific cable links are over subscribed for their capacity, resulting in persistent lag and connection problems... Hope Google hurries up with that Trans-Pacific cable project...

I don't know about STO specifically, but PWE region-locked Champions Online back when they took over, cutting off former players from that region. They didn't seem to care, so there couldn't be that big a player base there.
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think this is having the affect Cryptic wanted...200 Dilithium for one Zen or just opening the wallet...are those wallets I hear opening?
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    1.) Youre speculating as to how far it will go. Theres no telling if it will make it to 300 let alone 400.

2.) If you have 2 lifetime Subs...Thats 1k Zen a month in your pocket. If you purchased the LFS anytime during the first year or two of the game. Its more then payed itself off and youre now seeing a profit in regards to your investment. So by all means youre safe.

3.) Ima ask you the same thing. What does this have to do with anything?

The discussion is what is a fair exchange price not if it benefits me personally. I merely added that to forestall your tired freeloader argument.

I mean at 400 I would actually pay 1 dollar american for for 40,000 fleet credits. Sure that benefits me personally. But it does not benefit the game in general, which is what matters.

Too much dilithium in the game as it is making it more and more worthless. That is the problem. There is a desperate need for dilithium sinks. That is what we are discussing.

• Options
    strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Lulz. Came back after a pretty long break. Couldn't remember how to play and remembered being somewhat dissatisfied with a couple of my characters. Decided to start over.

Stripped them, sold off what I could, bought ships and R/D stuff for the new character. Completely forgot about the dilithium they had accrued.

Beginning to sound like I should have waited a couple days and taken advantage of changes in the market.

Darn it. :mad:

<<chuckles>>
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • Options
    edited August 2014

It's not my choice... Cryptic has made this game this way... It may have better graphics, and is in 3d... But it's still just farmwille..
  • Options
    gagocashgagocash Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Money farmers?

i like the new season Greed Rising. it's not only that the greed is rising, no dil/zen rate is rising too.
    It's not my choice... Cryptic has made this game this way... It may have better graphics, and is in 3d... But it's still just farmwille..

In my eyes its a completly bugged moneygrab game with comic graphics.
    M.A.C.O. ELITE COMMANDER & KIRK'S PROTEGE
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    It is your choice on how you choose to play it. If you wish to only log in, do Doff Missions, and log out that is your choice. You can choose to log in, do PvP, do Foundry, etc - or you can choose to not log in at all. It is still your choice.
  • Options
    edlemmingedlemming Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for letting me know :) just posts loads of Zen for a redicilous ammount of Dil on the Exchange :D
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I guess this is the last step to "force" some reasonable players to stop playing STO. xD. Good job cryptic (because this is clearly another stealth strategy to force players to charge more zen).