Options

Dilithium Exchange went freefall

1235»

Comments

• Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    chad4231 wrote: »
    I`m new player. Like any gamer i try games as F2P to see if i like it before considering signing up as a money player. After just a few weeks of playing this game i`m already at the stage (lvl 50)of the long grind of swapping 8000 dil into a few zen each day as i work towards getting my first proper ship. If the exchange rate doubles in your favour it will make you happy but how many new free players will stick around after reaching level 50 & hitting this grind stage, then double the grind time from what it is already? You might say that will encourage free players to upgrade just to get zen easier but its still too early to consider upgrading for most new players, frustration & boredom kick in & people go looking elsewhere for their gaming, then you have a site that will die eventually from lack of cash players in the future.
    That means F2P members are as much the "life blood" of this site (& all MMO sites) as money players are.

And Ill flip this back on you. Ive been a long time player. Was a paying player for the first two years of the games existence.

I went 6 months of paying without content so YOU could try this game for free. The entire time the playerbase was lead to believe that content was coming, that it had been 'delayed' over that summer. Only to hear at the end of August/Beginning of September that the game was going F2P and nothing previously announced would be available til after the transition. People lost months of investment into this game because of lies and misinformation. So I could careless about how much effort a F2Per has to put in to then turn it around and exchange it for RL Money. The more the better in my opinion.

When the game first went F2P they opened the game up fully to F2Pers with very little restrictions that they couldnt circumvent using their time in game to do so. Which meant if you were a Subbed Player or had LTS'ed Up within the year prior to the F2P Transition. You were no longer a 'valued' customer. And by no means is the True F2Pers who have never spent a dime on this game the 'Life Blood' of this game. Those who continue to invest through CStore Purchases and Subs are the 'Life Blood' of this game. LTS Players are 'Life Blood' for only as long as their Subs can span the amount of time it would take a Subbed Player to spend that much through Subscriptions. After that the LTS Player will have to continue spending to still fall into that category of keeping the game alive. But just because you exchange some Dil for Zen doesnt mean youre helping the game stay on its two feet. The RL Money has already been placed in PWE/Cryptics pockets and regardless of what you do with that Zen. Its no longer worth the RL Money it came from.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I believe this was only a minor bump in the price, at one point I see it go up to 200 to 1 now its dropped down to 175 to 1 it may well drop a bit more yet, in a couple of days it could be back to what it was before DR T5U/T6 ship announcement.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Guess y'ins should have listened eh.

Not really, it wasn't one of your better moments that thread.
  • Options
    buddha1369buddha1369 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You kids these days are all soft what with your kit modules and Fleet ships and your angry rock music! Back in my day we paid over 400 dil for c-points and we liked it!
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    buddha1369 wrote: »
    You kids these days are all soft what with your kit modules and Fleet ships and your angry rock music! Back in my day we paid over 400 dil for c-points and we liked it!

Yeah yeah granddad, whatever...

/jk.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    As of last night the best Dil:Zen offer I saw (from the POV of the Dil seller, of course) was 175:1.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
    Cryptic zen sale will only hold until it ends. The closer we get to DR release the more you are going to be embarrassed by your post.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And Ill flip this back on you. Ive been a long time player. Was a paying player for the first two years of the games existence.

I went 6 months of paying without content so YOU could try this game for free. The entire time the playerbase was lead to believe that content was coming, that it had been 'delayed' over that summer. Only to hear at the end of August/Beginning of September that the game was going F2P and nothing previously announced would be available til after the transition. People lost months of investment into this game because of lies and misinformation. So I could careless about how much effort a F2Per has to put in to then turn it around and exchange it for RL Money. The more the better in my opinion.

When the game first went F2P they opened the game up fully to F2Pers with very little restrictions that they couldnt circumvent using their time in game to do so. Which meant if you were a Subbed Player or had LTS'ed Up within the year prior to the F2P Transition. You were no longer a 'valued' customer. And by no means is the True F2Pers who have never spent a dime on this game the 'Life Blood' of this game. Those who continue to invest through CStore Purchases and Subs are the 'Life Blood' of this game. LTS Players are 'Life Blood' for only as long as their Subs can span the amount of time it would take a Subbed Player to spend that much through Subscriptions. After that the LTS Player will have to continue spending to still fall into that category of keeping the game alive. But just because you exchange some Dil for Zen doesnt mean youre helping the game stay on its two feet. The RL Money has already been placed in PWE/Cryptics pockets and regardless of what you do with that Zen. Its no longer worth the RL Money it came from.

in a way what you say is true, but in another way its also wrong.
    if it wasn't for players exchanging dilithium for zen there would be no need for the other players to buy that zen in the first place.
    so in a way dil sellers are helping to bring money into the game only in an indirect way.
    at the end of the day any zen purchase with real money is helping to keep the game going so don't knock dil sellers as they are helping also, in a way.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    We'll see. I'm still calling for a full fall.

However, there are 2 factors which can easily save the market.

-charging dilithium in some way to upgrade equipment to 14.

-people reaching level 14 in crafting and wanting to autocomplete to 15. I don't have much faith in this second thing. I will make 15 around Sept 20 and am happy to wait 'til then to see the dealeo with the 14 gear.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    buddha1369 wrote: »

That post is great when you read it in the voice of Dana Carvey's "Grumpy Old Man" character.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I was about to farm Dil for the new Constellation and some other smaller purchases. However with this going very high. Count me out. I will save my Dil for something later or when the market drops. This is just too high for my taste and what I can do to farm it.

If I could do it in reverse and had tons of zen waiting. This would be perfect to build a nice stock pile of Dil. For when the market goes the other way and get lots of cheap zen. Or to speed up Crafting.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited August 2014
    Lawl... you'll never seen the Dilithium Exchange in the 50:1 or the 220:1 ratios have ya???

>.<
  • Options
    asdfg0258asdfg0258 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Lawl... you'll never seen the Dilithium Exchange in the 50:1 or the 220:1 ratios have ya???

>.<

I remember thinking that 42:1 was high cause back then i had no clue how to farm dil :D
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited August 2014
    asdfg0258 wrote: »
    I remember thinking that 42:1 was high cause back then i had no clue how to farm dil :D

I remember them good'ol days... >.<
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWJXDG2i0A

But yeah aslong as it doesn't mean people aren't buying zen with real cash no stress
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    in a way what you say is true, but in another way its also wrong.
    if it wasn't for players exchanging dilithium for zen there would be no need for the other players to buy that zen in the first place.
    so in a way dil sellers are helping to bring money into the game only in an indirect way.
    at the end of the day any zen purchase with real money is helping to keep the game going so don't knock dil sellers as they are helping also, in a way.

I would wager most of the Zen on that market is coming out of Subs/LTS stipends and less of it is coming from people directly purchasing Zen just to put it in the exchange.
  • Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    See my thread from a few days ago at http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=18871091#post18871091

Looks like Cryptic thought it was getting out of hand too and started the sale in order to cool things down a bit. The higher rates were really starting to tick people off.