test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Invisible weapons bug since Season 9

Comments

• craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    That. And it's simply a p*ss-poor substitute for decent programming. "Instead of optimizing the graphics engine, we'll just disable a few effects when the tough gets going." Brilliant! /sarcasm

lol yeah, i think some people just dont use their brains :rolleyes:
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • yorethelyorethel Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Finally Cryptic have admitted it's a problem.

I've lost two very good fleet members due to this bug significantly destroying the enjoyment of the game.

More importantly to Cryptic two people who were buying Zen every month, one of whom was buying the max and buying all of the ships/packages released for his characters.

None of us have TRIBBLE machines the lowest out of them was CPU: i5 2500K and his GPU is a Nvidia GTX 480, the other one had a GTX 780 and still had the problem.

This is a major issue and seems to revolve around the DX11 graphics update in season 9. Perhaps speaking to Microsoft about upgrading to DX12 which is apparently going to be less demanding on CPU/GPU than DX11 was and which will allow them to display more.

Well that's just my thoughts.
    I'll still play although I have to admit to lowered play time due to this, but then again I have a lifetime sub so I can pickup and put down the game at will.
  • hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Changing the attributes of the game engine is not as easy as you guys may think lol its going to cost cryptic more than than they can get back in sales for sure.

Secondly they entire department structure seems to geared for new releases and sales ... very little has gone into graphics bugs and optimisation of the game engine.. this thread is testimony to the lack of graphics optimization.

This reminds me of the WATCHDOGS release and the poor graphics the game actually had...after lots of griping..... ubisoft let a graphics mod deved by a third party develop their graphics called the worse mod or something like that. LOL Believe it or not the game actaully looks way better finally.

Getting dev guys to change their entire game engine ---:---- chance to happen ...negligible
    Getting a poor substitute to actually let me be able to play as a stop gap measure till they update the engine ... percentage change to happen --- at least 40 percent lol

I do agree its a bit dull to ask for a cheap stop gap measure for us to play at least for now... but well its something.

I'm also wondering after reading some of FROSTS messages that they are going to have a real difficult time changing the draw effects for the engine... get the feeling the actual devs who deved the game engine don't work at cryptic anymore and the people that are left have one console access to the engine nothing more. AKA they just have input features but no control of the engine architecture.

What really really surprises me is not all the gripe about what cryptic should do or not do but my discovery that they dont have a system in place to balance game engine draw effects with newer graphical input. Thats really CRAZY this means that graphics can keep getting supposedly better at the cost of the engine overworking and then finally not drawing out effects. Leads me to think that the future of STO as a long term game is surely limited and what we will get are just simple story line releases with no apparent dev on graphics etc.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
    edited August 2014
    Ive got a suggestion for a new game engine...maybe its not that expensive: -
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/0...ith-5-royalty/

at 19 bucks a month hmmm let me see pretty good!!

ofcourse this is just one out of quite a few choices for a newer engine but this could be a way out.
    since STO has a great story line and lots of loyal fans the risk of switching to a new engine thats cheap and up to date with newer graphics is minimal.
    Ofcourse im presupposing that the cryptic "propriety engine" can be chucked out the door so easily.

ofcourse here is what Cryptic writes about the engine:
    "Cryptic utilizes a proprietary engine that contains all the tools needed to efficiently build and operate massive online games. Developed in house, the engine continues to be upgraded and adjusted by its original creators to improve the engine's versatility and functionality. In addition, efficient content generation tools have been incorporated to streamline the development process, allowing real-time testing of art assets within the game environment." :D;)
    SOURCE: http://crypticstudios.com/about
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    edited August 2014
    OOPS OOPS lol i guess revamping the engine has two choices

1. Change the engine!
    topic discussed on This thread http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1072861&page=2
    and tacofangs (cryptic studios team) says this:

"Not going to happen. No game has ever converted to a new engine. Games have had sequels made on a different engine, but the game is so intertwined with the engine that it's not feasible to separate the two. You basically have to throw everything out and start over, and if you're doing that, you might as well make a new game.

Now, our engine has a fair few limitations. Those are due to many factors (Being an MMO, Supporting low end machines, Decisions made early on, etc.), but it is what it is. We can, and have, and will again, improve the engine as we move forward. It is not a static thing."

This leads to Option 2: Revamping the engine aka the "big evolutionary fiddle"
    And to this CrypticFrost has said on this thread

"As I understand things, this is an issue with our core game engine that we are aware of and are trying to figure out the best way to fix the issue. Ultimately, there is a finite limit to how many things the game can draw at any time and when that limit is exceeded, things stop getting drawn.

The difficulty, I expect, is in getting the system to always show the player's stuff, yet also not fail to draw things like that tricobalt device that was fired at you from maximum range. Additionally, since this is the core engine, any changes also need to be compatible with Neverwinter and Champions as well as STO.

Combined, we're left with an issue that will just take a good bit of time to get fixed."

I hope you guys are catching the DRIFT on these comments ... engine is old ... quickfixing is in ..... there is a reason this game went Free to Play... Its still a good game mind you but well its getting dated... and you know you cant really teach an old dog(engine) new tricks (dx111 graphics)
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    edited August 2014
    Make a STO2 with new engine then, and just let us transfer everything we have brought and earned in STO, to STO2 :P

Seriously tho, the problem can be fixed, so people need to stop suggesting cutting back on effects or rolling back graphics to 80's style big square blocks
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    edited August 2014
    craig76 wrote: »
    Make a STO2 with new engine then, and just let us transfer everything we have brought and earned in STO, to STO2 :P

Seriously tho, the problem can be fixed, so people need to stop suggesting cutting back on effects or rolling back graphics to 80's style big square blocks

I can agree with that ...fulll support for sto2! Till then make sto1 playable for f2p players like me. World of war craft having being doing the quickfix methid for ten years. For sto Sadly I get the feeling thats whats going to happen. Quickfix !
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Fortunately, we have Cryptic's Chief Technology Officer moonlighting as STO's Executive Producer. With principal responsibility for Cryptic's core engine and each game's mission critical systems, maybe Mr. D'Angelo can put in a good word with himself and raise this as a core engine priority for current and future Cryptic titles.
    edited August 2014
    hojain2020 wrote: »
    I can agree with that ...fulll support for sto2! Till then make sto1 playable for f2p players like me. World of war craft having being doing the quickfix methid for ten years. For sto Sadly I get the feeling thats whats going to happen. Quickfix !

This isnt a biased issue. Im LTS, so it would be like me saying make sto playable for lts and gold players like me. Its an issue la lot of people regardless of what they are, are having this issue. It needs to be fixed
    If everyone was f2p, there would be no STO.

As for not going to happen with engine upgrade, they can do it, but too lazy too. " Not going to happen no company has ever done it, they made new games with new engine" one of the devs said, so, just because other companies jump off a cliff with no parachute, means cryptic will too? They would rather steal peoples money, make a new game, close sto, and force everyone to start again. If that happens, i wont be a gullible one to start all over again just so it happens again and again and again. I have invested heaps of time and money on this game, like many others have, so they should just do an upgrade of this one to save heartache. If they cant, then they at least transfer our accounts to a newer version of sto with all our toons,ships and gear,ect. That they can do.

But regardless, this needs to be fixed.
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    To many nodes connected at the same time or whatever is allocated per server request needs to be adjusted.

8742 you have limited of 15 nodes per server map, thus when all 15 player nodes are attacking the Planet Killer at the same time then more Undine are populated (unlock) or swarming beyond 15 targets the full lag starts happening. I go from norm fps to very low like the ship gets pushed very far away from the target. I am mean not my the Undine ships but from all the lag, clipping, banding all sorts of names you can use. But in the end really bad.

Need to hire 15 people run them on 15 map server but at their homes to login on 8742. Beta Test from on the same server all players use and see what is the out come? Shutting down maps or servers from prior missions not working still happening.. I have to jump to lower number of players playing so everything runs smoother.. As a work around.

Infrastructure there needs to be really investigated by Network Team (Network Engineer and Network Technicians) Something is not working right..

Before you release the next installment, might want to consider what you have in place now can handle the full load capacity!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    shouldnt have to do that tho if your machine can handle max settings. Mine can, and im not lowering it, already tried it, and looks as terrible

why dont we just go back to the 80's era graphics then? Because thats what you and some others are basically saying, roll back the graphics so they look terrible all over the game

Exactly. Some people just dont understand yet.. :eek:
    edited August 2014
    Sigh same optimized SHI& happening today. This time in STORM THE SPIRE stfs. Running it on an Alienware MX 17 this time. tried every setting from max to lowest. Revamp or quickfix whatever get this sorted please cryptic. Half my friends playing with me have dumped this game.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    edited August 2014
    hojain2020 wrote: »
    Sigh same optimized SHI& happening today. This time in STORM THE SPIRE stfs. Running it on an Alienware MX 17 this time. tried every setting from max to lowest. Revamp or quickfix whatever get this sorted please cryptic. Half my friends playing with me have dumped this game.

wait til u see it in ground battles.....great fun...not:(
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As I understand things, this is an issue with our core game engine that we are aware of and are trying to figure out the best way to fix the issue. Ultimately, there is a finite limit to how many things the game can draw at any time and when that limit is exceeded, things stop getting drawn.

The difficulty, I expect, is in getting the system to always show the player's stuff, yet also not fail to draw things like that tricobalt device that was fired at you from maximum range. Additionally, since this is the core engine, any changes also need to be compatible with Neverwinter and Champions as well as STO.

Combined, we're left with an issue that will just take a good bit of time to get fixed.

To all those people who insisted that this wasn't a problem ever before in STO:

I TOLD YOU SO.

This has been a problem with Cryptic's engine since LAUNCH of CO, STO, and NW. This has always happened, and unless Cryptic can (somehow) improve upon their engine, is something that always will happen.

The only problem is getting it fixed. And from posts like the above from developers, it's far more complicated than, "MaxEffectsDrawn=1000" in the code somewhere.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited August 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    To all those people who insisted that this wasn't a problem ever before in STO:

I TOLD YOU SO.

This has been a problem with Cryptic's engine since LAUNCH of CO, STO, and NW. This has always happened, and unless Cryptic can (somehow) improve upon their engine, is something that always will happen.

The only problem is getting it fixed. And from posts like the above from developers, it's far more complicated than, "MaxEffectsDrawn=1000" in the code somewhere.

The problem is, people is not going to play the game without being able to see a graphic effect at all. So, if cryptic will never fix this, meaning, picking the game engine and do some revamps on it, or watever, they will close the servers sooner than later. Because the next expansion will be the boil point.

And again, and said millions of times, BEFORE season 9 this only happened a few times, it was something we could live with it. After season 9, it is a total game - breaker. And if game-breakers are not fixed.. you know what happens next.
    edited August 2014
    i find it strange that they are saying its to do with the drawing. I mean, if it is because too much going on, on screen, then why is every single map affected even if there is not much going on? Sounds like more of a bug then anything. But, sometimes, if you turn your camera certain way effects reappear. Strange issue this one is

And still no mention in known issues of patch notes and no fix :( awwwwww man
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    edited August 2014
    Bump Bump Bump
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    edited August 2014
    God darn it.... high pop stfs arr still blinking out my weapons fire and shields cant see anythi g my ship does. Cryptic wtshi $ t with todays patch... award boxes get auto deducted so we do t have to open em in inventory... why didnt you do that with research material boxes as well. Id lime to pay youfor a gold account aka 299 bucks but there are way too many bugs to jsutify the amount.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    edited August 2014
    Apologies for my cryptic/ bad spelling and grammar.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
  • ccintronccintron Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Here's hoping this bug/limitation is fixed before Delta Rising arrives.

I'm essentially in Log in, Send out Duty Officers, Log Out mode.

Ghost weapons fire isn't exactly Immersive.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I was in Fed star base defense the other night with my fleet and although we had a blast in the mission I was starting to get annoyed by the fact that towards the end, in high traffic situations (i.e. when defending the station with everyone else), I could not see my weapons firing. If I changed camera angle to aft then my weapon trails appeared. Set camera back forward and then they disappeared again.

I wish someone in Cryptic would explain to me the logic in removing the players weapon effects when performance drops instead of other effects on the players game client??

Or is this another one of those good ideas that's not been thought through fully again?:rolleyes:
    server_hamster6.png
    edited August 2014
    well, i keep sayin its only going to get worse if they dont fix it, and i saw something new today, well, rather didnt see......anyway, was on ground mission, doing storyline for a new toon i just created, and behold, the disappearing act of my toon itself. Could not see him but i could see his weapons firing. Zoomed out and back in, turn camera around, nothing worked. Had to put up with it till he reappeared some minutes later. There wasn't even much happening on screen either.
    They really need to put DR on hold, and start working on these game breaking issues and bugs, including some of which are ancient bugs at that.
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited August 2014
    As I understand things, this is an issue with our core game engine that we are aware of and are trying to figure out the best way to fix the issue. Ultimately, there is a finite limit to how many things the game can draw at any time and when that limit is exceeded, things stop getting drawn.

Combined, we're left with an issue that will just take a good bit of time to get fixed.

how about options to disable some effects like your team's effects .The effects will still be there but invisible on player side.For example i dont need to see when my team is using grav wells or ewp since those powers dont affect me nor I need to counter them.
    edited August 2014
    how about options to disable some effects like your team's effects .The effects will still be there but invisible on player side.For example i dont need to see when my team is using grav wells or ewp since those powers dont affect me nor I need to counter them.

that will look stupid. as stupid as it looks now.... how about we just go back to 80's era graphics?
    Stop suggesting second rate fixes. I myself want this fixed back to what it was before S9, and so do many others
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    edited August 2014
    that will look stupid. as stupid as it looks now.... how about we just go back to 80's era graphics?
    Stop suggesting second rate fixes. I myself want this fixed back to what it was before S9, and so do many others

let me explain you what it means "Option" because you clearly are not fit to understand basic words as that.

Option means you can pick on or off .If you dont want the game to disable the effects you can let it on ,the rest of the players who pvp can disable their team useless effects that lag.The game as it looks now fits more into 70s programing so getting it into 80s would be an upgrade.

now go study more the dictionary and write 100 times "option".

you can now wait 30 years for them to fix the game engine while I want a "Option" to disable my team's spam and all DoTs that leave 10km trails behind my ship.
    edited August 2014
    let me explain you what it means "Option" because you clearly are not fit to understand basic words as that.

Option means you can pick on or off .If you want the game to disable the effects you can let it on ,the rest of the players who pvp can disable their team useless effects that lag.The game as it looks now fits more into 70s programing so getting it into 80s would be an upgrade.

now go study more the dictionary and write 100 times "option".

you can now wait 30 years for them to fix the game engine while I want a "Option" to disable my team's spam and all DoTs that leave 10km trails behind my ship.

let me explain the word "stupid" because you clearly are not fit to understand basic words like that......now, how do you like me being smart back? Dont like it? dont do it to me then!

why dont we have an option to turn off all effects and graphics then? ohhhh wait a second, that would mean no game. Also, people like you would forget you turned them off an start cryin everyone is leeching

Also, with what you said, it does affect you cause you gotta know whats going on onscreen. You gotta know when enemies are firing at you, you cant simply just seperate enemies fire thats directed at you or its directed at someone else. With what you stated, is stupid. It would take heaps of re-programming to even gives us that option where you will see enemies firing at you but not at everyone else.
    And even if they did give us that stupid option, it isn't going to fix the problem at hand now is it? no

Furthermore, it was working fine before S9 release, thus, your idea, is stupid, look the word up and then write it down 100 times troll

I was trying to be civil about it and stating a fact which is true, but, you can go take a long walk off a short cliff for all i care now troll
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    edited August 2014
    Exactly. Some people just dont understand yet.. :eek:

Agreed, but unfortunately, seems there is plenty of those around in this thread. lol.

* shakes head at people wanting to essentially turn effects off *
    yeah, smart move lol......not :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    edited August 2014

How about just getting rid of all special effects?? that will for sure fix the entire problem. Of course it will not look like a space figthing game anymore, since you will see no effects at all. But that doesnt seem to worry the players, as i see.

And you need to play more STO. Your team's effects are as important as yours, you probably never played a teamed game in STO in your life.

And again, its not about getting rid of some effects or others, for god sake. This game is 5 years old. And you telling me that i cant enjoy it at maximum settings, because i have a computer that allows me to do that, only because the game engine is so obsolete that it will not show some graphics? it makes no sense.

This is getting annoying and its throwing me away from the way at little steps. Other issue -> like everybody else, when i go to the dyson battlezone or the undine space battlezone, i need to lower my graphic effects options to medium-low. I cant accept this. And when i leave that zone, i need to switch the graphics effects to high again because I WANT TO SEE MY ENGINE TRAILS. If you keep the graphic effects on medium / low, your ship engine trails dissapear completely.

I will agree that if this game was released a few months ago or even 1 year ago, lowering some graphic options will be more reasonable than now. But for a game with 5 years old, its stupid. And for a game of this sort, that seeing your weapons firing in space is a really important thing (as well as my teammates weapons), sorry but this is not acceptable. I really hope that by the next expansion this is fixed, or i will definitely stop playing this. I already have some games in my mind, and i am ready to get rid of this dumb game for good.
    edited August 2014
    let me explain the word "stupid" because you clearly are not fit to understand basic words like that......now, how do you like me being smart back? Dont like it? dont do it to me then!

why dont we have an option to turn off all effects and graphics then? ohhhh wait a second, that would mean no game. Also, people like you would forget you turned them off an start cryin everyone is leeching

Also, with what you said, it does affect you cause you gotta know whats going on onscreen. You gotta know when enemies are firing at you, you cant simply just seperate enemies fire thats directed at you or its directed at someone else. With what you stated, is stupid. It would take heaps of re-programming to even gives us that option where you will see enemies firing at you but not at everyone else.
    And even if they did give us that stupid option, it isn't going to fix the problem at hand now is it? no

Furthermore, it was working fine before S9 release, thus, your idea, is stupid, look the word up and then write it down 100 times troll

I was trying to be civil about it and stating a fact which is true, but, you can go take a long walk off a short cliff for all i care now troll

so insult and troll is the only thing you can do?
    edited August 2014
    How about just getting rid of all special effects?? that will for sure fix the entire problem. Of course it will not look like a space figthing game anymore, since you will see no effects at all. But that doesnt seem to worry the players, as i see.

And you need to play more STO. Your team's effects are as important as yours, you probably never played a teamed game in STO in your life.

And again, its not about getting rid of some effects or others, for god sake. This game is 5 years old. And you telling me that i cant enjoy it at maximum settings, because i have a computer that allows me to do that, only because the game engine is so obsolete that it will not show some graphics? it makes no sense.

This is getting annoying and its throwing me away from the way at little steps. Other issue -> like everybody else, when i go to the dyson battlezone or the undine space battlezone, i need to lower my graphic effects options to medium-low. I cant accept this. And when i leave that zone, i need to switch the graphics effects to high again because I WANT TO SEE MY ENGINE TRAILS. If you keep the graphic effects on medium / low, your ship engine trails dissapear completely.

I will agree that if this game was released a few months ago or even 1 year ago, lowering some graphic options will be more reasonable than now. But for a game with 5 years old, its stupid. And for a game of this sort, that seeing your weapons firing in space is a really important thing (as well as my teammates weapons), sorry but this is not acceptable. I really hope that by the next expansion this is fixed, or i will definitely stop playing this. I already have some games in my mind, and i am ready to get rid of this dumb game for good.

how about reading?Go to school if you cant do it ...less games and more school would be nice.

what is so hard to undestand .....Option to turn off particle effects for your team.It wont do anything to your Pve TRIBBLE and it will fix the game for those who pvp till they "change the game engine" because i see there are "people" who think they will change the game engine in a game (thats remake the game) just for particle effects.

Option <<<<< read the damn word

your team effects are = to zero when you have buff/debuff icons.But you pve people can only troll and QQ without even understanding how the game even work.

now go back to killing borgs with your invisible plasma ...because guess what ,with or without a option to turn it off for your team it will still be OFF for everyone .

Disabling game effects is not "Lowering graphics" ....its disabling particle effects that are not needed.You are not affected by 30000 grav wells your team mates is spamming so you dont need to see the whole 30000 grav wells thus you can disable them since that power wont affect you.

How are you people even able to turn on your pc if you cant understand basic stuffs as "option" ?

I want to see the plasma spammed by the enemy team not by my team.Your broken boring pve is not important.
This discussion has been closed.