test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Invisible weapons bug since Season 9

craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
edited September 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
This has been an ongoing issue for the last 5 weeks in stfs, the effects for assimilated gear, weapons fire effects, shield effects all vanish. They seem to be turning on and off at their own accord.
I can sit outside esd and watch the assimilated gear effects turn on and off, as if i am removing the gear from the ship and putting it back on. Something wrong with the rendering i am guessing.
Here is the thread where some of us players have been discussing it under support.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1097731

This problem needs to fixed, asap preferably. It is wrecking the gaming experience for a lot of us.
Some have tried other things, but to no avail, nothing really works. That brings the issue to the game, not hardware or software or game settings or gpu settings, but the game.
I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
planet-space-sun.jpg
Post edited by craig76 on

Comments

• Options
    hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Been having the exact same issues as posted above. Disappearing shields and wepons fire in large scale stfs like crystal cat and fleetbase etc. Been happening for the last few weeks and have been posting on the secondary link as well entioned above.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • Options
    kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have been having since season 9.

I didn't had this problem before season 9, so yes, seems to be a bug added with season 9
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Same issue here, beam weapons/shield graphics disappear in larger fights. I can see my damage numbers rolling off my target (sometimes) but the firing effects are gone. This is a big problem for those of us that use a lot of beams as we often cannot tell who we're targeting or if our weapons are actually working.

Some people have been saying it's a limitation of the graphics engine and that it can only render so many effects at a time. If that's the case, then we need an option to prioritize our own effects over those of our team mates. I still see my team mates beams just not my own, the priority should be on MY weapons. A client side graphics option to limit team mate particle effects would surely fix this issue. As long as I can see fire coming at me, and fire coming from me, feel free to sacrifice friendly beam effects to compensate.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As long as I can see fire coming at me, and fire coming from me, feel free to sacrifice friendly beam effects to compensate.

Yeah, the invisible one-hit-kill borg plasma torpedo knocks at your hull....

It's been an issue for a while now. There are a lot of threads about this topic and many came up with the idea of prioritizing your own FX over your teammate's but once again nothing has been done about that.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited July 2014

It's been an issue for a while now. There are a lot of threads about this topic and many came up with the idea of prioritizing your own FX over your teammate's but once again nothing has been done about that.

From my understanding, the initial problem was that the bug used to cause invisible fire from your enemy, hence the whole 'invisible Borg torpedo of doom' thing.' That doesn't seem to happen anymore, but sadly, it seems the 'fix' was to make my weapons invisible instead which honestly isn't much better.

If true though, it means that at least something was done to address it at one point, the solution just isn't the optimal one. Hopefully, the problem can again be addressed but this time in the way that many users, myself included, have suggested.

Time will tell I guess.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    If they can not fix it so we can see all weapons firing and other effects, then they should just give up. How stupid does it look now with not seeing the effects? It will look just as stupid seeing only your weapons firing,etc and not seeing everyone elses effects and seeing them fly around appearing to be doing nothing? . The other thing is, if they prioritize it, then there is going to be the issue of people claiming others are leeching in stfs.

I can sit outside ESD and watch the effects for my assimilated gear vanish. So this issue is not just with stfs, but everywhere in game. I am also starting to see the same problem in ground combat.
    So, prioritizing is not the answer guys.
    It wasnt an issue before S9, surely they can get it to work like it was prior to S9.

Again, they know of problems in tribble but continue to release broken s*** on us every single season because of the deadline. To hell with the deadline, stop releasing broken patches on us!
    And fix the effects to how they were working before S9
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014

You cant prioritize anything. My shots are as important as my enemie's. I want to see where im shoting at, and i want to see what weapons are firing at me, so i can respond in consecuence. Both cases are important. Same scenario as if you playing with friends. You need to know if your friend is using beams, projectiles or watever. Because the way your teammate plays, its really important when you need to cover, use heals, skills or watever. Disabling and prioritizing some effects is not the solution, it never was. The only solution is, cryptic worrying about this issue. Until cryptic realizes (they already know, but they are not losing money because of this, so they are not worried...) this is a game-breaker bug and some players will not have patience to eat it for much more, me included, nothing will change. But this is related as well to the low performance of the game engine. Its the same that trying to fight in the undine battlezone, for example. Who will like to fight in a super laggy fps zone, where all the essence of the game is lost and the only thing you can do is to press the fire button?? apparently, a lot of people likes to play in this situation, because they keep asking for new content, new expansions, they keep posting new massive player battles ideas :P, and they complain about almost anything but the important things, like this one, or they keep complaining because they dont have that shiny skill working as they want, but they are ok with the loadout system malcfunctioning since day 1 or the powertry bug still not working as intended. They complain about having things they dont want, or content they wish and they dont get, and people quits the game because of the new crafting system of the new doff ui, but people is completely ok with these total game-breakers.

So, i said a bunch of times, this will never change. Because people dont want to change.. unfortunately.
  • Options
    philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    To any Dev that may be reading this thread, also check out....

here... here... here... here...

This issue is a killjoy for many players.

PS. One of the posters in the "Invisible weapons..." thread is running an Intel Core i7-4820k CPU @ 3.70GHz, 8gb ram Win 7 64bit Nvida Geforce GTX 680. Another poster there stated a GTX Titan was having the same problem.

For fun lets look at PassMark video card benchmark G3D Marks for these cards;

HD 6850 - 2,238 (my card)
    GTX 680 - 5,715
    GTX Titan - 8,000

So don't even think about pulling the "it's your GPU" card....
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

PS. One of the posters in the "Invisible weapons..." thread is running an Intel Core i7-4820k CPU @ 3.70GHz, 8gb ram Win 7 64bit Nvida Geforce GTX 680. Another poster there stated a GTX Titan was having the same problem.

GTX 680 - 5,715
    GTX Titan - 8,000

I know its not my cards. I have 2 pc's and a laptop. Laptop has integrated graphics, 1 pc has a single EVGA GTX 760 @4GB VRam, and 2nd pc has 2 EVGA GTX 760's FTW Edition running in SLi, @4GB VRam each, all 3 have same issue being effects vanish.

I have noticed the issue is starting to spread to ground missions too now. So, its going to get worse if they dont fix it soon
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    gabrielinwestmingabrielinwestmin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Same issue here, had the problem when I had a GeForce 750ti and still have the issue after getting my Radeon R7 265 oc'ed to a core clock of 1150 and memory clock oc'ed to 1550

PWE, CRYPTIC whoever.. FIX IT! *please*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Greywolf Taskforce - Officer of the Fleet
  • Options
    ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I too, have been experiencing invisible weapons since S9 launched. I had no such issues before, even in CCE or SB24.

Dyson space has always been "slower" for me, but Undine battlezone is nearly unplayable.

Weapons drop outs now happen even occassionally on Borg eSTFs and FAs. I've been taking them pretty light heartedly for a while, but it is getting old that this issue still isn't on the "known issues" list.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I too, have been experiencing invisible weapons since S9 launched. I had no such issues before, even in CCE or SB24.

Dyson space has always been "slower" for me, but Undine battlezone is nearly unplayable.

Weapons drop outs now happen even occassionally on Borg eSTFs and FAs. I've been taking them pretty light heartedly for a while, but it is getting old that this issue still isn't on the "known issues" list.

I agree with you. This going on for a short while was "somewhat" ok, but after this amount of time is really getting my knickers in a twist.

On top of this, the only direct response from the Devs (Taco) saying that they ramped up the challenge for high end settings. I like the next guy enjoy a challenge, but come on.....

This is a video game.... shouldn't a priority be put on the video aspect.... :confused:
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    shailatshailat Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited July 2014

GTX 680 - 5,715
    GTX Titan - 8,000

LOL ME!

I posted this in that post as well to let the devs have a visual on the bug we are all refering to

Star Trek Online Graphic Bug <<< Youtube link
    ogew7.jpg
  • Options
    joshglassjoshglass Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I still get it, but only when fighting the Crystalline Entity.
  • Options
    i10oxi10ox Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As of right now you will not get another dime until this problem is fixed. Your game is unplayable. :(
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    joshglass wrote: »

you are a lucky one then :)

Me, i cop it in all stf's, sitting outside ESD i see my assimilated gear turn on and off, and have seen the ground combat weapons fire vanish as well. It is spreading like a virus.
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    i10ox wrote: »
    As of right now you will not get another dime until this problem is fixed. Your game is unplayable. :(

Well said, i agree
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    joshglass wrote: »

I second the congrats on it only occurring in CE.

By the way, are your graphic settings still maxed? What GPU are you using?

If this is the way it's gonna be from here on out, it would be nice if Cryptic would post the recommended PC requirements to play this game at max settings. I have no issues upgrading if it's required (did so once 2 years ago), but would hate to if it is a problem on their end... which I tend to lean towards after reading so many posts on so many threads.

Come on Cryptic.... throw us a bone here!
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    craig76 wrote: »
    This has been an ongoing issue for the last 5 weeks in stfs, the effects for assimilated gear, weapons fire effects, shield effects all vanish. They seem to be turning on and off at their own accord.
    I can sit outside esd and watch the assimilated gear effects turn on and off, as if i am removing the gear from the ship and putting it back on. Something wrong with the rendering i am guessing.
    Here is the thread where some of us players have been discussing it under support.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1097731

This problem needs to fixed, asap preferably. It is wrecking the gaming experience for a lot of us.
    Some have tried other things, but to no avail, nothing really works. That brings the issue to the game, not hardware or software or game settings or gpu settings, but the game.

I regret to say I feel the turning off of these effects actually *was* the fix! Or, rather, what Cryptic considered a 'fix' for ppl complaing about the graphics being too heavy for their cards. Instead of optimizing the render engine, they figured they simply turn off a lot of special effects when the going gets tough! Tada! Solved! /sarcasm
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've also experienced this annoying bug. It generally occurs when there is a lot happening on screen at once. Crystal Entity comes to mind as a good place to see the bug. All visual effects, weapons, bridge officer powers, the shield display everything flickers off and on...it's really quite annoying. Hope they fix it at some point because it really ruins some of the enjoyment of the game.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I second the congrats on it only occurring in CE.

By the way, are your graphic settings still maxed? What GPU are you using?

If this is the way it's gonna be from here on out, it would be nice if Cryptic would post the recommended PC requirements to play this game at max settings. I have no issues upgrading if it's required (did so once 2 years ago), but would hate to if it is a problem on their end... which I tend to lean towards after reading so many posts on so many threads.

Come on Cryptic.... throw us a bone here!

Ask and you shall receive - updated after Season 8 went live!

http://support.arcgames.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4009/~/(sto)-system-requirements

I chuckle, GeForce 8800 is "recommended". If the game is running like hell well above that threshold, Cryptic/PWE should ensure either:

a)It doesn't run horribly at the recommended requirements (preferred)
    b)Update requirements to the true values (but considering people have claimed problems on GeForce TITANS, I'm reluctant to think it's enitrely a requirement issue)
    or
    c)A combination of the two (probably more realistic).

To not do so runs the risk of angering old players who had the game run fine before. More importantly, it will confuse new players, who will just think the game runs horribly (as their computers are well above the requirments) most of the time, and quit.

Unforuntately, this issue seems to have fallen into the "ignore it and it will go away" category. So I just avoid areas and queues where I have problems. That is NOT a solution, but it's all I can do for now.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Ask and you shall receive - updated after Season 8 went live!

http://support.arcgames.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4009/~/(sto)-system-requirements

I chuckle, GeForce 8800 is "recommended". If the game is running like hell well above that threshold, Cryptic/PWE should ensure either:

a)It doesn't run horribly at the recommended requirements (preferred)
    b)Update requirements to the true values (but considering people have claimed problems on GeForce TITANS, I'm reluctant to think it's enitrely a requirement issue)
    or
    c)A combination of the two (probably more realistic).

To not do so runs the risk of angering old players who had the game run fine before. More importantly, it will confuse new players, who will just think the game runs horribly (as their computers are well above the requirments) most of the time, and quit.

Unforuntately, this issue seems to have fallen into the "ignore it and it will go away" category. So I just avoid areas and queues where I have problems. That is NOT a solution, but it's all I can do for now.

Thanks for posting this Ralph.

Checked out the "recommended" cards' PassMark video card benchmark G3D Mark...

851 .... (GeForce 8800 GTS 512)

LOL

Minimum card.... GeForce 7950... G3D Mark = 310

LOL x2
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    having 2 evga gtx 760's ftw edition, not top of the line, but they are great cards, it shouldnt be happening. It was ruuning fine pre s9, now it looks shocking.

As ive stated, im starting to see the vanishing act spread to ground combat, and i cop it in all space stf's.
    Not on.
    Keep this at top of forum till they acknowledge it and fix it!
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    darthvrooksdarthvrooks Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Nice to see this bug is now completely ignored in two different sections, I appreciate consistency.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    In game handle @darthvrooks
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Nice to see this bug is now completely ignored in two different sections, I appreciate consistency.

i have gotten replies from devs in the bugs section before......maybe give em a few more days, they coulda been busy doin something else, who knows, but hopefully after weekend we will hear something......if not, well, my wallet wont hear them till it is fixed, for me, im avoiding space combat, but im even seeing this issue in ground, so its killing the game for me. :mad: Coming up 6 weeks of it now, if not,more!
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    craig76 wrote: »
    i have gotten replies from devs in the bugs section before......maybe give em a few more days, they coulda been busy doin something else, who knows, but hopefully after weekend we will hear something......if not, well, my wallet wont hear them till it is fixed, for me, im avoiding space combat, but im even seeing this issue in ground, so its killing the game for me. :mad: Coming up 6 weeks of it now, if not,more!

14 weeks and 4 days here, since the April 22, 2014 release of Season 9.

I hope your right with your optimism. I've used the same excuses for them not addressing this issue as well....
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    14 weeks and 4 days here, since the April 22, 2014 release of Season 9.

I hope your right with your optimism. I've used the same excuses for them not addressing this issue as well....

well, time does fly

It shoulda been fixed 10 weeks ago then :\
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2014
    I did send out an email about this to get more knowledgeable people than myself to look at this. I wish I had more news for you, but that's all I have at this time.
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Still getting this issue, it's making certain maps Unplayable as you can't see who your firing at.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    shailatshailat Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I did send out an email about this to get more knowledgeable people than myself to look at this. I wish I had more news for you, but that's all I have at this time.

Thank you for the pop in frost, I know that most will still be mad that you didnt have more news about it, but for me, the fact that a Dev came in here and acknowledged that they are trying to figure out why it happens makes me happy, so again, thank you for taking you time to pop in
    :)
    ogew7.jpg
This discussion has been closed.