test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why we are afraid of Delta Rising.

assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
Because of things like this. If Cryptic is unable to keep a promise as simple as putting an NPC on a map within 4 months (and instead makes the mission unobtainable), why should we trust them when they say that our old ships won't become obsolete?:confused:
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Post edited by assimilatedktar on

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You make a good point, but you also point out the flaw in your thread: People aren't afraid of DR...

People are afraid that their very expensive ships become obsolete, despite being told otherwise.

Thus far, this is the only real concern I've seen (despite some people claiming otherwise)... it's not "will my borg set be obsolete", or "What about My MK XII Fleet weapons".

Yes there are SOME, but the concern is mainly the ships.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Smirk didn't actually promise that the contact would be there this time, just that future events would go "...according to plan." You can't even pick up the mission to talk to Rojal, so I guess that's the "plan" now.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    You are both wrong.

What people fear about Delta Rising is the idea of getting a Neelix Boff forced upon us that is undismissable like Tovan Khev.

We have Boff's?
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Because of things like this. If Cryptic is unable to keep a promise as simple as putting an NPC on a map within 4 months (and instead makes the mission unobtainable), why should we trust them when they say that our old ships won't become obsolete?:confused:

im not afraid of DR, having the kazon in the game has unsettled a few other people so much so this one person on the forum is shouting for the hell of it because he dont like kazon. too bad, they are here and im revelling in the idea of kazon defeating t6 ship players :P.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You are both wrong.

What people fear about Delta Rising is the idea of getting a Neelix Boff forced upon us that is undismissable like Tovan Khev.

WHY WOULD YOU SAY SUCH A THING?

:eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    on the other hand, barbarians almost destroyed the roman empire once, so dont underestimate the strength of the kazon :P.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    You make a good point, but you also point out the flaw in your thread: People aren't afraid of DR...

People are afraid that their very expensive ships become obsolete, despite being told otherwise.

Thus far, this is the only real concern I've seen (despite some people claiming otherwise)... it's not "will my borg set be obsolete", or "What about My MK XII Fleet weapons".

Yes there are SOME, but the concern is mainly the ships.

I've also seen people complain about the Mk XII sets and weapons, but there is (was?) a half-done upgrade interface, so I guess we'll be able to upgrade them for tons of dilithium.
    However, you are wrong about the ships. It's not about them being expensive. It's about the ships people want to fly. Just like people complained when their favourite T5 ship didn't have a fleet version yet. If someone tells me that there will be new ships with awesome abilities that everyone will want to have, but that our old ships won't become obsolete that's red alert. Because I've actually build whole character concepts around their ships. I have a character in a Galaxy-X with AGT uniforms. I have a time-traveling TOS Vulcan in a D'kyr. I don't want that to be ruined by the new best ships looking like the Dysons or Iconian-hybrids. In the shows the crews stuck to their ships. The ships were basically part of the cast. We are constantly forced to upgrade.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You are both wrong.

why would you come up with such a hellish idea... good thing all my slots are full :P

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    on the other hand, barbarians almost destroyed the roman empire once, so dont underestimate the strength of the kazon :P.

The military technological difference between the barbarians and Rome was pretty negligible. Also, Rome was already on its way out by the time the barbarians arrived. How do you think Rome conquered most of Europe in the first place?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I've also seen people complain about the Mk XII sets and weapons, but there is (was?) a half-done upgrade interface, so I guess we'll be able to upgrade them for tons of dilithium.
    However, you are wrong about the ships. It's not about them being expensive. It's about the ships people want to fly. Just like people complained when their favourite T5 ship didn't have a fleet version yet. If someone tells me that there will be new ships with awesome abilities that everyone will want to have, but that our old ships won't become obsolete that's red alert. Because I've actually build whole character concepts around their ships. I have a character in a Galaxy-X with AGT uniforms. I have a time-traveling TOS Vulcan in a D'kyr. I don't want that to be ruined by the new best ships looking like the Dysons or Iconian-hybrids. In the shows the crews stuck to their ships. The ships were basically part of the cast. We are constantly forced to upgrade.

As I said: It's not that there are zero concerns about it... But look over the things... Look over the feedback to the dev-blogs... The ones that generate most posts are ships, not gear... They pop up, but it always ends with the ships.

And yes... Some people like to play around with different themes for their character... I am all for that, and won't say it's silly or anything like that, but I honestly doubt that this is the main concern.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    OP is cherry picking to look for excuses to be concerned. Disregard all the times when the devs got things right, let's just focus on the times they get things wrong!

And hell, you're quoting Smirk, not an actual developer. I doubt he controls the flow of content or schedule at all, let alone bug fixes.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    OP is cherry picking to look for excuses to be concerned. Disregard all the times when the devs got things right, let's just focus on the times they get things wrong!

And hell, you're quoting Smirk, not an actual developer. I doubt he controls the flow of content or schedule at all, let alone bug fixes.

Not saying you aren't right... But how about mentioning them..?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Not saying you aren't right... But how about mentioning them..?
    No, I'm tried of digging up quotes and citations from devs just to quell a few paranoid rants of people that would rather ignore them and complain anyway. They're out there. Watch/read past dev interviews, read announcements, cross-reference them. I have other things to do.

For crying out loud, the devs said years ago that we'd get a crafting update. They said we'd get a rep revamp. They told us almost to the letter exactly what was in each major update this year. They even told us, months before STLV even, almost exactly what they verbally announced at STLV. And you want me to prove it?!? The information is and has always been readily available to all of you. If your goal is to make me look like a liar, fine. But don't ignore things that have actually came to fruition from dev hints and reveals then whine about how you're so scared of things.

Seriously, it's not gonna be as bad as you think. No, I don't know the future, but I'm saying this beyond a reasonable doubt that our ships are not gonna fall behind the new stuff.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am looking forward to it, but it was announced too early. Now I find myself lacking motivation to do anything but farm dil and fleet marks and ec to hit the ground running when it comes -- my list of to-do stuff is all invalidated.

I share the concern about my ships, and am also concerned about what lifetime benefits will be given.

And my biggest concern atm is the broken stuff. The not quite fixed DO interface, for example, is a horrible clunky bandaid. The missions show negative time then, ONE at a time, some sort of "fix it" routine discovers and fixes the missions so they are completed. It takes forever, and it looks unprofessional, and I have to ask, why was it monkeyed with in the first place? The timers, I mean... they were FINE until someone touched them. And the timers should not have needed to be messed with to drag the data into the new interface?!

On top of that there are other persistent bugs. We need a bug fix season, not a one here & there patch but a full season of nothing but bug fixes.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited August 2014

You've just hit the nail on the head about my biggest concern with DR. I just want to continue using my favourite ships at end game in the same weightclass as any other end-game ship. Don't care if the upgrade costs any type of resources as long as they can be brought to a full and complete T6.
    Feeling like I'm forced out of my ship if I want to be top-notch in a game where ENT era ships pass as lockbox quality doesn't sit well with me at all.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I sort of agree, O, but in agreeing there is an issue.

Thing is, DR will be what it will be.

I figure the devs will do what the devs always do.

Make content they think will entertain, which will entertain the majority of us, at least some of the time.

There will be issues, because big complicated things have issues, many will be sorted out quickly, some slowly, some sadly ignored.

In other words, business as usual. Which is not bad, because we're still playing it, right?

However, I think you're being a bit too easy on the PR side of things.

I doubt that, if an individual is responsible, we know who they are.

But the front line of the PR side of things recently has not been working very well.

That's not an entirely trivial problem.

Because, mishandling that sort of thing can hit revenue streams.
  • Options
    jedispartan4845jedispartan4845 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the devs say sometime 6 months to a year ago that they weren't going to introduce T6 ships with the level increase? That when it happened they where looking at giving our Boffs the ability to fly our extra ships in some form or another? Such as a direct form or a doff like system for them?
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The title should be "Why are some of us afraid... You shouldn't use the word We in anything you write because you don't speak for the playerbase. I'm not afraid of the expansion. I'm excited for it.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hmmm.

Not exactly the same thing, but I don't buy a computer, a car, a refrigerator, then complain two years later that it is no longer the best model out there. Nor do I expect Lenovo, Lexus or LG to give me free equipment upgrades so that it simulates the newest/best stuff coming out right now.

If that's the expectation, it's entirely unreasonable.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the devs say sometime 6 months to a year ago that they weren't going to introduce T6 ships with the level increase? That when it happened they where looking at giving our Boffs the ability to fly our extra ships in some form or another? Such as a direct form or a doff like system for them?

Probably, but the second part of that has already been officially ruled out for DR.

Which is fair enough, and Geko did say the idea is still on the table.

Just not ready to implement yet.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    No, what was said that it was unlikely to happen... Geko (the dev who said that) didn't say they weren't going to do it... Having some condition of "Unlikely" doesn't prevent something from happening.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The title should be "Why are some of us afraid... You shouldn't use the word We in anything you write because you don't speak for the playerbase. I'm not afraid of the expansion. I'm excited for it.

If he speaks of opinion shared by at least 2 people, he is fully right to use "we". Since I already agreed with him before you posted, that makes at least 2 people, so his "we" is spot on.
    Come back when you have something more intelligent to nitpick.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    darthlokidarthloki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    first I'd like to say that I can understand that some are afraid of the new expansion but then there are some who are quite excited for the new expansion everyone has different tastes. Now of course I don't think that the op shouldn't have put WE in the title thread because he doesn't speak for me or anyone else even those who happen to agree with him cause as I said there will be those who agree with the OP and those who do not agree and is excited about the new expansion or those who are just indifferent
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    However, I think you're being a bit too easy on the PR side of things.
    I disagree, simply on the grounds that I only see people doing their job and getting the worst end of the stick with it. Yes, I do understand that people in general can have have demonstrated to be very irrational in their general though, if not believing irrational things, then using intellect to justify things they have came to believe for irrational reasons in the first place, and that the PR department must acknowledge that and operate plastic to it... to an extent. Sometimes, it's the players' turn to take responsibility when reasonable. And this seems like the perfect time for it.

Sure, some of the things the devs say about the content they plan on implementing seems as though they are just 'wishes', and that we can just brush that off. But they're not mere fanboys dreaming of how they can influence their beloved franchise, they're developers of a continuation of the main continuity that actually can influence the franchise. They don't just talk out of their TRIBBLE. If they plan on doing something, unless it's something that is yet too difficult from a development standpoint or something that they merely got sidetracked with, they're probably gonna make it a reality.

And some of them do play the game. They have admitted to it, not even a month ago in fact. They realize how big of a thing our current ships are to us. Hell, it's probably higher on the list than the mere 7-10 innate tier-6 ships. To think that the PR department needs to convey such a position that, granted all IMO is the most reasonable position to assume? That alone I think is unreasonable.

It would be suicide for them not to retrofit our old ships. Which is actually worse off for them than any of us. Why? STO is their lives. Their jobs. STO is what feeds their families. If they recognize such an obvious thing to do to keep most of their players playing, of course they'd do it. And yes, it IS possible that our current ships won't be upgraded. But if you look at the bigger picture, it's neither plausible nor reasonable from either side.

It's just so heartbreaking to see my fellow trekkies worried about this. I don't want you guys worried about it either. I'm worrier for you. But as I'm not part of the STO team, I can only do so much. And honestly, I'm not sure I can give much more reason than I have been.

Just don't lose hope guys. ;_;
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    why would you come up with such a hellish idea... good thing all my slots are full :P

You and I both know Cryptic would be so kind and give you an extra slot to squeeze him in, nice try though.

I say the only thing you guys should be afraid of is the new shinnies. And what I mean by new shinnies is bugs.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    You've just hit the nail on the head about my biggest concern with DR. I just want to continue using my favourite ships at end game in the same weightclass as any other end-game ship. Don't care if the upgrade costs any type of resources as long as they can be brought to a full and complete T6.
    Feeling like I'm forced out of my ship if I want to be top-notch in a game where ENT era ships pass as lockbox quality doesn't sit well with me at all.

You and me both. I mean hell I have ships I love for toons and it's their main ship.

I have 9 chars, 1 char per carrier track per faction.

Each char has their own ship they use. I put time and effort into getting those ships the way I want for the most part.

I don't want DR to come in and completely train wreck everything and suddenly to be current I have to go back(and yes I've dropped about 150 bucks and I realize it's a gamble but damn it I don't want to give up all those ships I like!) and now I have to get all those ships to be able to enjoy the new content.

That will be a deal breaker for me with Star Trek if everything I've done is suddenly "oops sorry, you're SOL, but go get our new shines and don't forget to pay!"
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I disagree, simply on the grounds that I only see people doing their job and getting the worst end of the stick with it. Yes, I do understand that people in general can have have demonstrated to be very irrational in their general though, if not believing irrational things, then using intellect to justify things they have came to believe for irrational reasons in the first place, and that the PR department must acknowledge that and operate plastic to it... to an extent. Sometimes, it's the players' turn to take responsibility when reasonable. And this seems like the perfect time for it.

There's an important truth in what you say.

One way or another, things will always go something like this........

.....dev announces a desire to create feature X during a podcast, he is pressed for a release date but will only say its on the table but wont be out for six months.

Cue minority who now firmly believe it will be implemented in six months.

There is another group of people who understand that was not the information intended, but zealots are hard to reason with.

Low level forum war ensues......devs wonder whats wrong with people.

As Sir Terry once wrote, to find the IQ of a mob, simply find the person with the lowest IQ then divide by the number of people in the mob.

That does happen, and I dont expect devs to deal with it.

I want devs to be hired for their skills in making the game, not how well they deal with someone who's irrationally irate.

However, I do expect there to be an arm of the companies bringing us the game that do specialise in that area. PR, or CM.

Cordially, I disagree that work in this area has been up to snuff recently.

I sincerely doubt that those employees in this area visible to us are the root of the issue.

There are too many examples recently of the PR/CM side of things not striving for excellence, let's say.

I'd like that to change.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    No need to be afraid. It will be nothing new.

It'll be some pretty locations and more stuff to play through, pretty much what we have already with a new paint job. I'm not expecting anything ground breaking or innovative here.

I'm quite sure to appease everyone in STO you could probably complete all the new content blindfolded, riding a tricycle and simply slapping the hulls of enemies with a wet haddock. So I am also not really expecting much challenge either.

As for the new levels, the new abilities and yes, the new ships? Not really worried. Without more information there is no point in being worried. There is every chance a T6 ship is just another T5 one with some more flashing LED lights on it, and perhaps some toys to better compliment these new level 60 abilities.

Seeing as a T4 ship can keep up with T5 now, why could a T5 not keep up with a T6 in the future?
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You are both wrong.

Since I like Tovan Khev I have no problem with a Neelix Boff. He's the best cook in the Delta Quadrant
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
This discussion has been closed.