Install Arc
Options

Official New Crafting System "Research and Development" Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    malkarris wrote: »
    Okay, so for anyone wondering what progression now looks like with the projects I added it all up. This is maybe the fastest way to level 15 in one school. I didn't really try to optimize it or anything. This is also based on Tribble as it stands right now (July 15th, 2014).

Each 20 hour project gives you 9599 xp. You unlock another project slot at levels 2 4, 15, and when you get three separate schools to level 5. So here is what you do.

Run one project in any school, this will get you to level 2 and open up the second slot. Day 1.

Run two projects in the same school, one per slot. This will get you to level 4 and open up slot 3. Day 2.

Run one project in the old school, and then run two projects in a new school. This will get you to level 5 in the old school and level 2 in the new one. Day 3.

Run three projects in the new school, this will get you to level 4. Day 4.

Run one more project in the second school you started, this gets you to level 5 in that, and two project in a third school. Day 5

Run all three projects in the new school and you're almost to level 5. Day 6

Run one more project in the third school to get to level five and unlock that last slot, and while you are waiting for that, run two projects in any of the three schools. Day 7

Now that you have 4 slots open, start running four projects every day in the same school. You will hit level 15 by about day 22. And you get that final 5th slot.

From there, it will take you about 12 days to level the other two schools you got to level 5 to level 15, and 14 days to level a school from 0 to 15. so all told to level all schools to level 15, it would take 22 days for the first, two sets of 12 days for the second and third, and then 5 times 14 days for the rest. So 116 days to get level 15 in all five schools. Or about 4 months.

Please keep in mind that there is some overflow, and you might be able to get some things a bit faster if you ran some quick projects in the four hour "gap" between the twenty hour projects. This was only done using the 20 hour projects. So cheap way to get to level 15, and happy grinding I guess. Not as bad as it was, but well, eh. Make of it what you will.

I hit Tribble and tinkered with the new system for about an hour, i got to lvl 2 in beams but I didn't see any 20 hour projects? Which ones are they?
    P58WJe7.jpg

• Options
    williampetersenwilliampetersen Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    One suggestion for anyone even considering using the dilithium bypass for the Timer: Do not use the dilithium bypass on the 20hr project; the bypass fee is the same per hour, but the actual Crafting School XP rate is lower (just under 480 XP per hour as opposed to 600 XP per hour making things). Then again, they might change it...

...I'll dearly miss the function-oriented doff UI.

Not true. In fact, the XP project tends to be the most efficient use of time/dil because the quality of the Research Lab Scientist multiplies the R&D Branch XP (BXP). I did one with a blue that got almost 22K BXP, and one with a purple that got almost 24K BXP.

I will, too. So, SO much...
  • Options
    chrisolliecchrisolliec Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Apparently, I'm the only one who's not missing the old UI.

Or, at least the only one not too shy to say so.

I don't need a list of 10 assignments on my screen, especially not with the tiny lettering that comes with it.
    I don't see any efficiency in a crowded screen where you have to whip out a reading glass to see if it is the assignment you want to run.

This doesn't mean the new UI is perfect. It still can use some tender love & care.
    Though I fear that time's a little too short to get this all fixed 'till launch.

This also doesn't mean I don't miss some comfort functions of the old UI, like the sorting functions.
    Still wondering why they threw these overboard, in the first place...
    Though, in most cases, I found that the new system seems to give me the right personnel to do the job, unlike the old one. But sometimes, you don't need the purple doff to do that job. And then the scrolling through "hundreds" of doffs to find the handful of green ones kan get a PIA...
    And a reintroduction of the doff assignments' sorting by "schools" (aka "diplomatic", "engineering" and such) would be very appreciated.

The rest would be a little bugfixing, like disappearing rewards if the inventory is accidentially full when claiming the reward of an assignment. Which also causes the assignment to stay in the list, as if it hadn't been turned in, but the button to claim the reward is gone missing, too. There should be a thread about it in the bug report forum...
    "I came from a time long gone, saw many other times...
    But I'm still a mere human."
    Vice Admiral Chris Curtiss, Temporal Ambassador
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Not true. In fact, the XP project tends to be the most efficient use of time/dil because the quality of the Research Lab Scientist multiplies the R&D Branch XP (BXP). I did one with a blue that got almost 22K BXP, and one with a purple that got almost 24K BXP.

I will, too. So, SO much...

That's odd, my testing of yesterday's Tribble patch was giving me 9599 Crafting XP on a Success and 10599 Crafting XP on a Critical Success for the 20hr project, also with a Rare doff. Which school were you leveling when you tested? I was leveling Beams for playtesting how the [Mods] worked, so maybe there are varying levels in different Crafting Schools (sounds like a bug)? Also, were you using the pop-up above the Chat window to check the reward amounts, or tracking BXP manually for each project completion using the BXP bar tooltip?
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    picard99picard99 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Seconds are missing from count down timer at R&D.Or is that as designed.Seconds are at duty officer assignments so why not R&D too :)
  • Options
    williampetersenwilliampetersen Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    That's odd, my testing of yesterday's Tribble patch was giving me 9599 Crafting XP on a Success and 10599 Crafting XP on a Critical Success for the 20hr project, also with a Rare doff. Which school were you leveling when you tested? I was leveling Beams for playtesting how the [Mods] worked, so maybe there are varying levels in different Crafting Schools (sounds like a bug)? Also, were you using the pop-up above the Chat window to check the reward amounts, or tracking BXP manually for each project completion using the BXP bar tooltip?

I did one in beams with the purple (at level 3), and one in... Shields? At level 0 with the blue.

Let me see if I get the same result.

Huh. Seems to have been fixed. The Research project is now only giving 6K XP (which is half as efficient as making things).
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I did one in beams with the purple (at level 3), and one in... Shields? At level 0 with the blue.

Let me see if I get the same result.

Huh. Seems to have been fixed. The Research project is now only giving 6K XP (which is half as efficient as making things).

Gah, I just went and double-checked Tribble as well. Yup, looks like it rewards half as much as crafting items, even worse than my original tests. Wonderful. I suppose the plus side is that it'll help me avoid spending dilithium for awhile since my crafting levels will be too low to make anything useful :P

Well, time to wait and see what the Holodeck patch does with it...
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    xmaxdragonxxmaxdragonx Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I will not be coming back after the summer event, because you: A. Didnt give us old system captains any credit for their maxed out crafting at all. B. Took away dill grinding. You took it away even though it was balanced and available for everyone. A huge money grab. C. You also keep forcing more money grabs with overpowered equipment. That now requires an insane time to grind the dil., or an overpriced lottery system with the lock boxes. See I could stand the lockbox scam when I could grind dil easily, but when you made it harder I dont even want to play. All the good things in the game are in those boxes. When you realize later on how this has hurt the community you will wish you had not went down this road.
  • Options
    gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So,they redo a useless system into a time consuming useless system
  • Options
    jandraelunejandraelune Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    =.= New crafting system has fails in it for those they had already maxed out their crafting and built a large collection of all mats.

You can NOT trade in all your old work and time MAXING crafting, it's reset to >> ZERO and must start all over again.

Another fail, new crafting mats are NOT tradeable, ' Bind on pick-up '. Due to this, you must do 100% of mat farming on the single char you want to work crafting on.

Converting old mats only gives you random chance of Common, Uncommon or totally random with chance of Rare>< Even if you have ALL the old mats in stacks of 500, all you can get is the LOW tier new stuff, you can't even trade Rare for Rare >< Best hope you get is trading a >> RARE << for Random for less odd's of getting a Rare then you did before ><

You are yet forced to have MORE Doff's to fill up your LIMITED Doff space just for crafting and nothing but crafting.

Hello was anyone THINKING whent hey threw this out and undid EVERYTHING the old players worked on?
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bind on pick up . . . FAIL.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    agentexeideragentexeider Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's a Greek Tragedy.
  • Options
    dorilin8dorilin8 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have several Toons with Max Crafting Skills (Old System)!

they all took a Lot of Currency and Farming! I could have made more Currency Selling the mats I farmed Hours For, instead I used them to Max my Crafting skill!!!

WHY!!! Oh WHY!!! Did STO devs think its OK to reduce my Skill to 0 when they introduced this New System? At the Very Least they could have Maxed 1 or 2 Crafting Schools depending of the Toons Old System Crafting Progress, or Even CXP, let the players Decide which School!!!

THIS needs to be Fixed!
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    SORRY TO SHOUT BUT I REPORTED THIS A MONTH AGO WHEN THE CRAFTING FIRST CAME TO TRIBBLE BUT IS NOW ON HOLODECK

WHEN PICKING UP MATS FROM THE VARIOUS MAPS THEY GO TO YOUR REGULAR INVENTORY INSTEAD OF THE R&D TAB WHERE THEY CAN BE USED FOR CRAFTING. THIS MEANS YOU HAVE TO GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO FIND A BANK ACCESS TO SWAP THEM OVER,

Edit: Since posting I have found that it occurs when doing the asteroid mining on Ishi's asteroid near DS9. As well as rewarding the dilithium the particles rewarded end up in the regular inventory not the R&D tab as other areas in the game.

At the time when originally testing this was the only area available to me to get particles.
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,625 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Please separate the crafting materials from inventory at vendors. K thnx bye
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    jkersjkers Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    All you have to do is click and drag the mats in your inventory up to the r&d tab and it will put it in your r$d slots automatically...only new particles that you collect go into your inventory...once that new particle is in your r&d slots it will go to there ...that is what I experienced with the new system
  • Options
    jniebaumjniebaum Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dorilin8 wrote: »

they all took a Lot of Currency and Farming! I could have made more Currency Selling the mats I farmed Hours For, instead I used them to Max my Crafting skill!!!

WHY!!! Oh WHY!!! Did STO devs think its OK to reduce my Skill to 0 when they introduced this New System? At the Very Least they could have Maxed 1 or 2 Crafting Schools depending of the Toons Old System Crafting Progress, or Even CXP, let the players Decide which School!!!

THIS needs to be Fixed!

I feel you man I got shafted by the Devs in the same way. Would have been nice to atleast gotten something to show that all the PROGRESSION I did wasn't just for nothing in the end.
  • Options
    atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited July 2014
    dorilin8 wrote: »

THIS needs to be Fixed!

Cryptic: We are going to introduce a way for player to make Ultra Rare weapons and equipment but it will take a days to get there. Rome was not built in a day

Forum Player: wahhh i want it now! gimeme gimeme gimeme now! I should never have to work for new things added to the game because a long time ago I did something really easy and I deserve everything with no effort.

BTW your skill is not reset to 0. Your general skill is still there. Mine is still 1650
  • Options
    cbob312cbob312 Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Suggestion: We should be able to salvage parts and materials from gear drops. That way even white drops are useful.
  • Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Many players maxed out our crafting skills in several toons, per player. We did the work. Cryptic thinks it would be a grand laughfest to wipe out our hard work, reset everything to zero and that players will be OK with this? And give us random rewards, instead of firmly targeted items as before? FAIL! Another boring, time-consuming grind after we already did the work once before! Why not convert our experience and assets like you did when the Omega system was revamped? At least that was fair. Resetting skills to zero is simply frustrating and unfair, proving that we are wasting our efforts and massive expenditures of our time. So why give the new R&D a chance? You'll just zero us out again in the future. Very, very disappointing.
  • Options
    mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    atlmykl wrote: »
    Cryptic: We are going to introduce a way for player to make Ultra Rare weapons and equipment but it will take a days to get there. Rome was not built in a day

Forum Player: wahhh i want it now! gimeme gimeme gimeme now! I should never have to work for new things added to the game because a long time ago I did something really easy and I deserve everything with no effort.

BTW your skill is not reset to 0. Your general skill is still there. Mine is still 1650

You know what? I haven't played since they made this awful mess live. I tried it on Tribble. I saw how the reactions to it was and agreed to it being an awful implementation of a crafting system that is a poor clone of the one available on Champions Online and Neverwinter Online. Yet Cryptic doesn't seem to care what we think. That's the big problem.

About those that had leveled up their toon to max in the previous crafting system to get kicked to the curb with "I Maxed Crafting & All I Got Was This Louse DOff" is an insult to all of those who put in the time to farm the materials and time to level up their toons in crafting.

The smart thing had been ot credit them not being able to max out the new crafting system instantly, but to at least let them max out one of the 7 different schools. If they cared, that is. Handing out a common Aegis DOff that isn't even bound and can be accidentally put in to a fleet project that is just a huge insult to the players that got them.

I would be ashamed if I had been in any way involved in putting these changes in to the game.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    actual bugs:
    the interface will swap tasks. I think it has to do with a missing crafting officer... if you select an item you can't make due to lack of officer, it will (randomly??) swap it back to another type you can make and then use your materials & time to craft the incorrect thing. Not a big deal so far farming for xp, but at higher levels, that would be devastating to lose all the dil materials. It only seems to happen when a type of item (pretty sure it was sci consoles) have different officers for different results. In my case it swapped me from a +shieldcap console to a useless crew recovery console, IIRC, it was something like that.

quality of life feedback...

- the materials crates from stfs etc should stack with like kind
    - old schematics should be right click to redeem some materials or something.
    - no ground melee weapons available
    - no kit modules available.
    - mark XI, which is hardly usable in today's game, costs dil materials. It should not.
    - the mission on the personnel officer gives no officers, which is misleading.

- there is no way to cancel a job once started.
    - the result of your job is immediately visible upon starting it. I would prefer not knowing and being able to cancel a job to knowing and being stuck with it.

- it is unclear where to get catalysts.
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I just seen the last Tribble notes. It seems to me to filter and to find specific Doff is more clickie and scrolling.

I have not touched the crafting system since 9.5 launch as I think it's the most horrible UI changes of all time. I will not use it. I don't even do the Foundry missions aka exploration.

Am I wrong? About the filtering being more clickie and scrollie.
  • Options
    bbushwookiebbushwookie Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    mattachine wrote: »
    Yet Cryptic doesn't seem to care what we think

Perhaps the small amount of people (usually the same ones on every thread), that complain about everything new, are a small amount compared to the actual player base. So maybe "we", being the forum complainers, do not represent the majority of feedback they are getting?

That being said...I like how they have the components right on the same page as the gear you are making....However...After you make them, and have to come back and re-select the MK and type you are making is a bit annoying. Not a huge issue, just is a hassle when making a bunch of the same thing, like beams or cannons, ect.
    Space chatter is soothing~
  • Options
    chrisolliecchrisolliec Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I just seen the last Tribble notes. It seems to me to filter and to find specific Doff is more clickie and scrolling.

*cut for focus on topic*

Am I wrong? About the filtering being more clickie and scrollie.

I feel similar.

Though I like the idea that the doff profession required for the assignment appears on top of the list, I think it is no good idea to have all professions selected when opening the doff selection window while using the department heads suggestions option.

That said, I have the feeling that this doff system is partially gone wrong, from the logic view.
    Sometimes, you have doffs required to even be able to start an assignment. And then, on other assignments, there is a profession mentioned that grants success, but if you use a different doff, no matter what profession it's of, that doesn't matter in any way, as long as it has a better "quality" than the one that should do the job.

It feels quite odd to me that a purple doctor should be able to perform a turbolift maintenance better than a blue maintenance engineer - even a white one should be able to get that job done better than the doc. As well as any other member of the engineering corps.
    I'd rather have a technician doing the maintenance than a doctor, if the maintenance engineer is missing. Or would you send your maintenance engineer to the sick bay to cure someone else's anaprolean fever? I don't think so, seeing that the medical assingments need at last someone from the medical staff, be it a nurse or a biochemist, to be able to start any of these missions.

This had occurred before the revamping*, but got worse afterwards.
    I would appreciate if you could do something about it.

*: The best example for this are the assignments on Risa and in Q's Winter Wonderland.
    If you choose your biologists to do the job, you get actually a penalty. Usually, a green doff of an other profession gets a higher crit chance than a blue biologist.
    "I came from a time long gone, saw many other times...
    But I'm still a mere human."
    Vice Admiral Chris Curtiss, Temporal Ambassador
  • Options
    deonshackerdeonshacker Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Joining, WHERE IS MY MAXED OUD CRAFTING???
    I'm WERRY ANGRY about that!
    Now I tried to do new, but understand what this IMPOSSIBLE without dilitium...
    I agree buying starships for real money, okay, fleet modules also acceptable, but skills NO!
    Owners, are u mad?
    I like this game, I want support it, and already spent much money on it, but after that I will not buy ZEN any more...
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited August 2014
    The new crafting system is another example as of what the point of STO is: money/time sink.
    If you ask me, I have gotten tired of sinking my time into the rep system, and I'll simply will not log into STO just to renew the rep cycle anymore. What does this have to do about crafting? The crafting system follows the same hurdle as the rep system, but at a larger scale. If I tend to rep when pigs fly, then I'll tend to STO crafting when cows land on the moon.
  • Options
    radiantdarkness0radiantdarkness0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    For the love of all things get rid of the Dilithium requirements!!!!! It killed the old system and its going to kill the new system.

Issues so far.

1: Get rid of Dilithium Requirements!!!!!!! I can't stress this enough

2: Need to add modular system for modifiers to craftable items. I.E. [Arc] [Acc] things like that

6: What happened to the Aegis Engine and Deflector? What about adding in an Aegis Warp Core/Singularity Core

7: Need to add a way of breaking down loot drop items into crafting mats. This is the corner stone of all crafting systems in mmo's.

8: Need to add a way of getting schematics for making modular modifiers through research. This is R&D after all!

9: We need some creativity here Dev. If I want to craft an Omni-Directional Antiproton Dual Beam Bank Mk XII Very Rare. Or maybe I want to Craft an Omni-Directional Romulan Hyper-Plasma Torpedo Launcher Then let me make one.

10: All these craftable items at max level need to be on par with Fleet and Reputation Equipment otherwise its just a waist of time and materials.

I agree with the above parts of comkiller007's post. The new crafting system is a massive disappointment, and the way the transition was handled from the old system to the new one was a grave injustice. Not just for those of us who spent so much time getting Memory Alpha crafting to max level, but for anyone with any degree of investment in the previous system.

#2 and #7 above are of central importance: Crafting should be a way of creating the specific items you want (ie: targeted loot). I've watched this game evolve since launch in 2010.

I've watched and waited and hoped. And been met with disappointment time and time again. To be fair, the game has come a LONG way. But unfortunately, in most ways, it feels like a long way in the wrong direction.

:: Lockboxes and the Lobi Consortium are a collective abomination. They give the impression that "Greed is Good", and encourage gambling, which are both anathema to what the real foundation of Star Trek is about.

:: PVP lacks balance, both in terms of the power slant, and in terms of match-making.

:: The STF system is a cheap immitation of the better system it should have been.

:: Rigid Bridge Officer layouts are the devil. (lol)

:: And more. I could go on a serious rant about this game

STO feels like a decrepit, dried up old christmas tree (the core system) with a lot of very pretty ornaments hanging on it (all the awesome little pieces like story missions with full voice acting, and other cool stuff).

This revamped crafting system was almost a new ray of hope. But its current iteration is pretty horrible: It's boring, way too random, and way too expensive. And the lower levels offer absolutely NOTHING -- ZERO -- to long-term players with max level characters. Just like the reputation systems. You grind it, you max it, you get the prize at the end, and then you forget about it.

This game is so frustrating because of all the ways in which it was almost good. Like many others, i pre-ordered the Collector's Edition, along with a LTS to this game, was in the beta as well, and then subsequently spent tons of cash in the C-Store. I believed this game had designers and developers behind it who had a real passion and vision toward making STO not just good, or great, but something legendary: The next Star Trek. Period.

Now 4 years on, and the end-game is nothing but a grind. :mad:

Hopefully the upcoming Delta Rising expansion will start to turn things around. I don't expect Cryptic to deliver a masterpiece overnight. But i do expect you guys to show us players that you actually care about the IP, about our time investment, and about creating a true game world.

.... STO crafting?! Bah! Humbug!