Install Arc
Options

Anything positive about 9.5?

Comments

• Options
    k4t3k4t3 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    It doesn't need adjustment. It needs to be reverted to its original state altogether.

They're trying to fix what isn't broken, and breaking it.

+++++++++...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    It doesn't need adjustment. It needs to be reverted to its original state altogether.

They're trying to fix what isn't broken, and breaking it.

That's so true. If our beloved Sir Tuffli was dead by now, he's posslibly turning in his grave right now :(

His work doesn't deserve that kind of treatment!
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    dgdolph wrote: »
    There's absolutely no problem with you liking the new face lift! I don't care if you like your cake or not...

It's just that some of your arguements are more likely speaking against your point of view.

The rarity and time, being off to the side rather than beneath...makes it stand out. It's easier to read, for me, something that is more spreadsheet-like in that fashion than in the paragraph-fashion that currently exists. I can quickly do a comparative at a glance with the system on Tribble that I can't do on Holodeck.

Along the lines of the following:

Burger - Fries - Soda
    Nuggets - Fries - Shake
    Salad - Soup - Tea

vs.

Burger
    Fries
    Soda

Nuggets
    Fries
    Shake

Salad
    Soup
    Tea

The current system has not only the icons but also the separation text. The new system has larger icons and removes the text. It's not redundant like it is currently. A sorting option would probably be nifty, but all in all - less space is being taken up telling me the same thing. Hell, it tells me three times - cause it's also there taking up space to the side when I click an assignment.

Folks complaining about the new system and the automatic assignment of DOFFs - have to wonder if they've even looked at it...because guess what it's doing, eh?
  • Options
    sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    JJ Abrams should have told Cryptic that Star Trek fans HATE change....
    y1arXbh.png

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    sle1989 wrote: »

Did you even read the damn thread?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Not having to zone for certain DOFF chains - the chains are available right there in sector space as long as you're near the cluster/nebula.
    That is not actually an advantage. In fact, that is a significant DISadvantage, since you will no longer be able to access the assignments via bridge or use your account bank to pull out the various supplies you inevitably need for missions. On top of that, the selection of missions has been utterly gutted.

So you trade not having to zone into a cluster for not being able to even access the cluster at all in a logistically feasible manner, and TWO loading screens if you require any supplies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2014

1) I don't hate change - I dislike degradations. Btw, as a ST Fan I totaly loved ST:ENT which included some major changes!

2) I also dislike seeing the way cryptic is wasting resources. They are fixing (and breaking) things that do not need to be fixed.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014

you got a point or you trolling just for the hell of it?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    That is not actually an advantage. In fact, that is a significant DISadvantage, since you will no longer be able to access the assignments via bridge or use your account bank to pull out the various supplies you inevitably need for missions. On top of that, the selection of missions has been utterly gutted.

So you trade not having to zone into a cluster for not being able to even access the cluster at all in a logistically feasible manner, and TWO loading screens if you require any supplies.

Um...you know you're heading there, why don't you have the supplies with you?

I don't go to my bridge for any assignments. So it's no loss for me.

Also, I only go to clusters for chains - which means I almost never go to clusters.

Just because something is an advantage for me, doesn't mean it is an advantage for you. Just because something is a disadvantage for you, doesn't mean it is a disadvantage for me.

Things will affect folks differently...

Something I do hate about the nebula/clusters with the change, mind you...is they're too damn bright, lol.

While obviously some of the folks will just moan and groan about any change, there are folks that may have actual problems with the changes. Those problems shouldn't be simply dismissed as dislike of change.
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Biggest positive I can think of is that before updates like this we got something nice. In this case it was the more alt friendly way of getting event ships, and in the previous update it was a free increase in inventory slots.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    dirlettia wrote: »
    Biggest positive I can think of is that before updates like this we got something nice. In this case it was the more alt friendly way of getting event ships, and in the previous update it was a free increase in inventory slots.

lol that's true

Also, do you think it's just random timing that they're goin to sell life time subs in a special promotion while they are decreasing the value of their game?

I believe they know when they're doing bad stuff and try to keep folks happy with nice giveaways on the other hand.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Also, do you think it's just random timing that they're goin to sell life time subs in a special promotion while they are decreasing the value of their game?
    You are either new here or unobservant. They have an LTS sale twice every year: beginning of Summer and beginning of Winter.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    stardate336914stardate336914 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think the new doffing system looks like a major improvement over the old. Less clicking = boss.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    You are either new here or unobservant. They have an LTS sale twice every year: beginning of Summer and beginning of Winter.
    That doesn't change my question. They could have waited for the sale to announce stuff that drives away the players.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    That doesn't change my question. They could have waited for the sale to announce stuff that drives away the players.

Cryptic runs on a schedule that's pretty much the same year in and year out...
    ...and something that might drive you away, doesn't mean it's going to drive everybody away.

The game does not revolve around your little pinky...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It is not "random" in any way because Cryptic has the same sale every year at the same general time. If they have another LTS sale in August, that would be random. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The current system has not only the icons but also the separation text. The new system has larger icons and removes the text. It's not redundant like it is currently. A sorting option would probably be nifty, but all in all - less space is being taken up telling me the same thing. Hell, it tells me three times - cause it's also there taking up space to the side when I click an assignment.

As someone who doesn't doff everyday, doesn't have all their characters maxed out in all commendation categories, and doesn't have the commendation symbols memorized, that separation text actually becomes useful and helpful. I can only imagine how much more difficult it will be for a new player who's just unlocked the doff system for the first time to find what they want.

While my preference would be to keep the current Holodeck UI, I'd actually be fine with the Tribble UI if they either put that separation text back in or add text describing the category above the text listing the rarity of the assignment. AND allow me to narrow down my choice of doffs by searching by traits when planning an assignement as in the current UI.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    zulisvel wrote: »
    AND allow me to narrow down my choice of doffs by searching by traits when planning an assignement as in the current UI.

It's something they need to add back, but it's not something I'm sure they've actually removed. We're early into the process - you go to select another DOFF and it's showing you the +Crafting bonus? It's obviously a work in progress...but yeah, they need to make sure the trait filter is there in the end.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    It is not "random" in any way because Cryptic has the same sale every year at the same general time. If they have another LTS sale in August, that would be random. :)

The point in my question is: They announce details of this very bad nerf at exact the same time they're having this giveaway. They could have done this 2 months ago or 2 month in the future, but they are doing it now.
    I'm just wondering if they do this on purpose to stop people quitting the game while they release stuff most players don't like.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

why announce nerfs and a badly designed crafting system before an lts sale for? where is the profit in it? its sneaky and underhanded, but if you can get some lts sales in before you announce something badly designed with nerfs then you get a lot of money from it to take back home. the fact is that pwe are a company and they need money no matter how they can get it. i also wouldnt suggest following through on reversing the money payment to pwe, because the chances are a ban would follow once you got your money back.

so your choices are:
    1. complain until you sprout antennae, go blue in the face and eventually grow ridges, but no matter how hard you try it will be a cold day on andoria before pwe ever acknowledge your needs. (your choice atm)
    2. put up, shut up and play the game.
    3. take that nice door over there out and dont create a thread about it either.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Lifetime Subscription Sale announced: June 19th
    Crafting Revamp announced: June 17th

Omgherd, they announced a LTS sale to try to sneak in some sales before announcing they were totally butchering the game!

Oh, no, wait...they didn't.

/facepalm
  • Options
    denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm ok with the new Doff UI. Some things could be improved, but most of the changes I can get used to. Seeing relevant traits when selecting a doff for an assignment would be nice, even though they're already sorted. And success-only modifiers need to be either scrapped or shown, as they apparently affect the new system but aren't displayed.

I have a hunch the UI revamp was intended to get the Doff system ready for the Gateway. Doffing on the Gateway has been a request for a long time, but Devs have said the current UI wouldn't easily translate to use on mobiles or tablets. Perhaps this UI is what they need to make it work.
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Lifetime Subscription Sale announced: June 19th
    Crafting Revamp announced: June 17th

Omgherd, they announced a LTS sale to try to sneak in some sales before announcing they were totally butchering the game!

Oh, no, wait...they didn't.

/facepalm

at the time the full details like we were getting now were not around at the time. facepalm all you like :P. /counterfacepalm.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The best part about Season 9.5 is that the Crafting System is finally getting some attention. Before, crafting was just some game feature that was completely ignored by almost everyone. The ones that actually used it just used it for Horta, Delta Flyers, Aegis Set, and maybe a few other items and might not touch it for months. Most MMOs have dedicated crafters, but that doesn't exist in STO. The only major change that Cryptic needs to do for crafting is remove dilithium as a crafting resource, but keep the completion fee. So pay a certain amount of dilithium to complete the crafting project now or wait an hour or two. If Cryptic wants to use dilithium as part of crafting, then they can sell crafting resources in the dilithium store, but those items can be obtained through regular gameplay or through the exchange.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    at the time the full details like we were getting now were not around at the time. facepalm all you like :P. /counterfacepalm.

that a new one got to keep that one in mind
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    k4t3k4t3 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So it's no loss for me.

That's the point - for you! ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    If seen many negative reactions about the upcoming Crafting and DOFFing overhaul.
    What do you guys think are the positive sides of it?

There is a good chance nothing will break.

One is just a UI update, so everything in the back doing the work remains untouched far as I can guess.

The other borrows heavily from the Doff and Reputation systems, and doesn't really feature anything genuinely 'new' again as far as I can guess.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    The point in my question is: They announce details of this very bad nerf at exact the same time they're having this giveaway. They could have done this 2 months ago or 2 month in the future, but they are doing it now.
    I'm just wondering if they do this on purpose to stop people quitting the game while they release stuff most players don't like.
    And, again, I am going to ask are you new or are you just unobservant?

About 2 months before they launch a new Season or EP is when they start the marketing push. Go back and look at when the Dev Blogs started for Season 9, 8.5, 8, etc. This is how their Marketing Team works: roughly 2 months is when they start the hype machine.

And what makes you think "most players" do not like a new Crafting System? If there are 200,000 people playing STO that would mean at least 100,001 would need to not like it. Do not make an assumption because the typical haters you see in every thread do not like something that "most" players do not like it. This forum is not representative of the entire fanbase. It is simply around 3,000 people who decide to post here.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Like I said, some people like cake and some people do not like cake.

A lockbox is about a cake .
    That you can like or leave , up to you .

The "improvement" to the Doff system is about catering (once again) to the ... -- I don't even want to say "the lowest common denominator" -- cuz I don't think that it's even about that anymore .

But I did at least find some traces for the Doff systems's "upgrade" in one interview with Geko to Terilynn Shull :
    Rivera thinks that the current DOff system tends to scare away many of the game's more casual players; he would like any new changes to also include ways to make the system less complicated and therefore more fun to use.

To prove his point, he turned the question around on me. "Right now the duty officer system allows people to make ship consoles. Terilynn, how do you make ship consoles using your duty officers?" I admit it -- I was silent. I had no clue. He smiled and said, "Exactly." He wants it to be easier for players to identify the types of assignments that are available to achieve more specific goals, like building a console or similar items. He said that it was a "failure on [their] part" and that he wants to ensure that if a player wants to make a console, she has what she needs to make it the way she wants it.

... it's like ordering a burger you see ...

But that's not all ... , there's more :
    Let's start with the duty officer system. Rivera told me that he feels the DOff system doesn't have enough "collectability" built into it, that it doesn't contain many unique officers able to perform distinct missions that reward something special. For instance, ideally, a player would be able to assign her unique officer to a tactical mission, and that unique officer would always return "a dead So'Na, or something like that -- something unique that the player needs." As he put it, "That's one thing I don't think our system has."

Rivera also explained that he believes the current DOff system lacks clear goals. While chain assignments do exist, Rivera would like to see changes implemented to the way assignments allow players to choose to complete specific objectives. He would like to see players be able to, for example, build a ship and see all the steps the player needs to do in order to complete that task. When asked whether he sees DOffs becoming a more integrated part of the crafting system, Rivera replied, "I would love to see DOffs and the reputation system merged into a greater DOff system that involves crafting, but as much as I want to see it built up, I also want to see it simplified."

I believe that he used Terilynn as an example when asked why they cut up the STF's .
    It was to "make it easier for players like Terilynn" .
    Needless to say she still does not STF (last I heard) .

Let's hope this supposition works out better .
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The redesigned interface for crafting, with some work, could be very good. It's certainly preferable to the current giant list of items. It's also available everywhere instead of having to fly across an entire sector block as a new player, which is very nice.

The star clusters are gone with a convenient button in their place. Apparently this has its flaws, but for me, it's an improvement. New players aren't going to get those stupid "exploration" missions anymore, which is nice because they're terrible.

The doff interface sucks, though. I really hope it ends up better than what we have now before release. I'm always in favor of improving things, right now there's no improvement, it's actually more difficult to use than the current menu.