Install Arc
Options

Anything positive about 9.5?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I feel I need to ask why people choose to continue to be negative towards something that is still in an alpha phase?

If you listen to the Priority one podcast, you'll hear that Geko states that the chance of getting purple goes up as you gain levels to the point that you'll get the purple at 100%. The reason why the chances are so low is because you're just starting out and they don't expect newer captains (since the new system is designed to unlock after the doff system) to be making Mark XII right off the bat. Furthermore, the prices right now were chosen mainly just to have something to go up. They can change it down the road.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I feel I need to ask why people choose to continue to be negative towards something that is still in an alpha phase?

Because it's TRIBBLE no matter how you slice it? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    dgdolph wrote: »
    There's a big difference in saying: "It will be like..." or "I believe it will be like..."

What I said was:
    tbh, I believe that there will be even more than 90% of all players who dislike the new craftig. Simply because it's yet again a new dil sink (as it was before) + it even became a gamble.

just give up.. the cosmic is one of those special members who rides a mighty high horse from which he dictates how everything is and isn't. you are not allowed to have an opinion in his eyes, he will twist what you say or ignore parts of what you say to prove himself correct. ie, read his wonderfully awesome response the the very question I quoted from you.

I will agree with you however, that cryptic does tend to blanket bad news around the launches of their usual deals. they dangle the keys in one hand, while they get ready to slap you with the other.

as for those who are saying we still have time before this goes live and changes can be made.. ummmm.. no.. in my long standing history with cryptic, almost everything that had severe opposition rolled out of the gate without any such changes. they are not known for their reading the forums and making changes based on polular feedback.
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited June 2014

If you listen to the Priority one podcast, you'll hear that Geko states that the chance of getting purple goes up as you gain levels to the point that you'll get the purple at 100%. The reason why the chances are so low is because you're just starting out and they don't expect newer captains (since the new system is designed to unlock after the doff system) to be making Mark XII right off the bat. Furthermore, the prices right now were chosen mainly just to have something to go up. They can change it down the road.

(See signature Pic below)

On a more serious note, Players who are posting already in my opinion are giving a very Knee jerk reaction to the system, Taking it as it is, it is rather bland, But I'm hopeful that if Geko is true to his word on priority one, then it will be a good foundation on which to build in the future

( Not to mention there are parts of the crafting system that are not currently live, and so no palyer can possibly have tested them on tribble unless the tribble build has updated between me typing this and last visiting tribble)
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I am sure you will love all those [DMG]X3 modifiers too... Just sayin'. I think we are all familiar with how much mods make or break a weapon regardless of mark or rarity.
  • Options
    agentexeideragentexeider Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    If seen many negative reactions about the upcoming Crafting and DOFFing overhaul.
    What do you guys think are the positive sides of it?

The answer is no, there isn't anything positive about 9.5.

Question answered, next thread.

/thread
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Alas, I don't think of that as a positive thing. I'd hoped for additional complexity, actually.

I posted an idea where the existing data samples would be converted by a process I called "RESEARCH" into usable materials. For instance, you might convert mineral samples into things like Duranium or Tritanium. There would be a cost associated with each such material. For instance, Tritanium would require more samples to make than Iron would.

These materials would then be used to make items, in a system that admittedly borrowed from the crafting system of Star Wars Galaxies, where you would make an item using basic components, and then optional components too.

BUT, they're convinced everyone who plays this game is a blasted idiot who gets lost in a small square box that you can escape from by flying in any direction in a straight line.

I can't even put into words how angry all this is making me.

I don't disagree with you about the crafted lack of complexity in the actual crafting materials, but my post was simply saying -- HEY FREE INVENTORY SPACE! Which means no more crafting stuff cluttering our banks. So how can that not be a good thing? :confused:
    adverbero wrote: »
    On a more serious note, Players who are posting already in my opinion are giving a very Knee jerk reaction to the system, Taking it as it is, it is rather bland, But I'm hopeful that if Geko is true to his word on priority one, then it will be a good foundation on which to build in the future

( Not to mention there are parts of the crafting system that are not currently live, and so no palyer can possibly have tested them on tribble unless the tribble build has updated between me typing this and last visiting tribble)

So it's a knee-jerk reaction to see tons of content being axed for the sake of an overgrown DOFF reputation system? I can't say I blame everyone.

Memory Alpha and the missions associated with her are gone.

Exploration Clusters and missions associated with them are gone. (Which believe it or not was a big chunk of the game).

And of course, them nerfing EC drops because people are too wealthy, instead of curbing the those who are causing the inflation - the farmers.

So yeah, can't blame people for knee-jerking. Especially when that knee just shot up between our legs. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Maybe we will get to craft endgame ships. It may take a month but it would be something nice and help give each player a diffrent personallity. That is if they can add a personal flavor of thier own.
    There is one VERY BIG POSITIVE but, its a personal one for me. Thanks to cryptic and the way they are handeling STO. They have made me very F2P educated. I know for a fact I will never play another F2P MMO after STO. I will continue to support sto as long as it doesn't go 100% P2W. Buying a item today and having it or playing the game for 3months to get it is basically the same thing anyways. But that aside I have to thank cryptic. I've seen a few F2P games latley I would like to play but after seeing their ways to make money I turn away.
    What I do see happening is this. The F2P model being compared to a FAD. Just something that happens for a short time and then dissapears only left in the minds of a few people. Like the days of the MOHAWK haircut. I believe everyone at some point will try a F2P game there all over the internet in the form of adds. But all game companys know they have to take as much money as fast as they can from thier players because they all know as soon as they see the wolf under sheeps clothing their gone. Thats why Cryptic pushes Lifetime subs down our necks. They got to get as much as they can and get it fast before your gone. Yet another reason why we are always getting New shinnys. Yet another reason why were not getting anymore content and getting content taken away.
    SO TY Cryptic or PWI, everwhos ideas it was to do the things it did to sto. Right now, it would make a great browser game (HEY, maybe thats what there......). You have taught me a lifelong lesson. Of course now, if we get season 2 and its packed with Lore, quest, bosses. Dozens of missions and new sectors to explore you could very well reguvinate my faith in your company and F2P. As of right now tho, I hope you enjoy yourself making all that money, it just won't be no more of mine.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It employs people at cryptic studios. Which is good for our National, and Global, economy.
  • Options
    sudonamisudonami Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think that the new crafting being properly organized compared to the current system will be an upside. However the lack of a tactical crafting tree is concerning. Engineering and science have there own tree to craft consoles, where is the Tac tree for energy consoles?

(yes i know it could possibly come later and not at start but fleet gear is expensive and this coulde be a slightly cheaper alternative)
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited June 2014
    sudonami wrote: »
    (yes i know it could possibly come later and not at start but fleet gear is expensive and this coulde be a slightly cheaper alternative)

HAHAHA ... are you serious? The new dilithium RNG game will cost you way more potentially than buying from fleet. Notice how they started to hike the price of gear from rep (dilithium).
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    sudonamisudonami Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    HAHAHA ... are you serious? The new dilithium RNG game will cost you way more potentially than buying from fleet. Notice how they started to hike the price of gear from rep (dilithium).

I gave up on trying to keep up with the dil economy. i was thinking more in terms of the fleet credits. Not everyone has a lot of those. to compensate they make the dil cost higher. Do i like this, no. but it seems fair so far. That is likely to change looking at that past of this game.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That "craft a starship" thing sound interesting indeed. but as always it depend on how Cryptic actually realizes that idea.

I bet it won't be the way most of us are hoping for...
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    firestorm10491firestorm10491 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Positive hmm. This is quite the stretch but by eliminating the clusters completely this actually gives them the option to add more sector space where the clusters used to be. If you look ahead instead of at the present then this could be seen as a benefit.

Another positive so far is that R&D supplies carries an entirely different inventory area instead of taking up space we use to pick up loot. Fleet actions will offer craft components as an option in order to give people a reason to continue doing them after they max the reputation.

If they got rid of the gambling for blue or purple using dilithium for crafting then the overall system would be good, grindy but usable. The prices aren't "set" yet but lets hope they come down.

I think the EP needs to look through his division and find out who has gambling problems since they keep wanting to push it on us. Gambler's Anonymous would be a positive for Cryptic and us the rest of PWE can do what it wants...