test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anything positive about 9.5?

Comments

• k4t3k4t3 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    denizenvi wrote: »
    Doffing on the Gateway has been a request for a long time, but Devs have said the current UI wouldn't easily translate to use on mobiles or tablets.

Oh I love the ones who need to use mobiles, tablets and games consoles at every game ... so many PC game titles ending up in being TRIBBLE, because they were adapted for "new" media.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    And, again, I am going to ask are you new or are you just unobservant?

About 2 months before they launch a new Season or EP is when they start the marketing push. Go back and look at when the Dev Blogs started for Season 9, 8.5, 8, etc. This is how their Marketing Team works: roughly 2 months is when they start the hype machine.
    Ok, let me ask you in a different way to make you understand what I mean:

Do you think all this marketing push is there to promote the new stuff OR is it there with it's nice giveaways to excuse the poor quality of what is coming?
    And what makes you think "most players" do not like a new Crafting System? If there are 200,000 people playing STO that would mean at least 100,001 would need to not like it. Do not make an assumption because the typical haters you see in every thread do not like something that "most" players do not like it. This forum is not representative of the entire fanbase. It is simply around 3,000 people who decide to post here.
    tbh, I believe that there will be even more than 90% of all players who dislike the new craftig. Simply because it's yet again a new dil sink (as it was before) + it even became a gamble.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    dgdolph wrote: »
    The point in my question is: They announce details of this very bad nerf at exact the same time they're having this giveaway. They could have done this 2 months ago or 2 month in the future, but they are doing it now.
    I'm just wondering if they do this on purpose to stop people quitting the game while they release stuff most players don't like.

Take a moment to really think about what you just said.

Are you imagining Cryptic devs gathered around a meeting table saying 'The players still seem a bit too happy don't they? What can we do to fix that?'

No, they are making this new crafting system expecting it to be a good thing for the game. They'll be expecting complaints, because there always are some no matter what they do; but that's as far as it goes.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    at the time the full details like we were getting now were not around at the time. facepalm all you like :P. /counterfacepalm.

Got to say, I dig that /counterfacepalm. :D

Neo: I know /facepalm.
    Morpheus: Show me.

/facepalm
    /counterfacepalm
    /facepalm
    /counterfacepalm

Morpheus: How did I beat you?
    Neo: You...your face is so big.
    Morpheus: Do you believe that my having a bigger face has anything to do with this place? Do you think that's your real face you're hitting?
    edited June 2014
    It's also available everywhere instead of having to fly across an entire sector block as a new player, which is very nice.

Why are ppl playing STO if they don't want to explore the galaxy and its locations at least once? Maybe they should delete all locations except one, so ppl don't need to move and can just press some keys to reach the needed UI or STF/fleet action?
    New players aren't going to get those stupid "exploration" missions anymore, which is nice because they're terrible.

Noone needs to do this missions, but everyone can do them. And there are ppl who like to do it. So its just a loss of variety.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    capnmanx wrote: »
    Are you imagining Cryptic devs gathered around a meeting table saying 'The players still seem a bit too happy don't they? What can we do to fix that?'

By the sounds of it, I think a lot of people think that. Probably imagine all of PWE gathering around and coming up with evil ideas to smash the happiness of players.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    If seen many negative reactions about the upcoming Crafting and DOFFing overhaul.
    What do you guys think are the positive sides of it?

<Looks for positive things to say about 9.5> Eh, STO's getting an update? :P

Seriously, I can't find the silver lining in this cloud. :(

They removed Exploration clusters and we have no idea if it's permanent or temporary. With the crafting revamp, we can't go finding anomalies in the clusters for crafting, which makes it a ton more tedious. They changed the DOFF UI when it was perfectly fine, into something that's inferior in means of information. DOFF missions were nerfed for the sake of crafting, which was the mainstay of some people's income. They nerfed Engine, Deflector, and Shield EC values for a second time, which is going to hurt casual player and small fleets. And the main focus of the update - Crafting, really didn't change. The only thing that changed is that it's now an overgrown DOFF mission with more Dilithium tax installed.

So sorry, I can't see anything good about 9.5.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    <Looks for positive things to say about 9.5> Eh, STO's getting an update? :P

Seriously, I can't find the silver lining in this cloud. :(

They removed Exploration clusters and we have no idea if it's permanent or temporary. With the crafting revamp, we can't go finding anomalies in the clusters for crafting, which makes it a ton more tedious. They changed the DOFF UI when it was perfectly fine, into something that's inferior in means of information. DOFF missions were nerfed for the sake of crafting, which was the mainstay of some people's income. They nerfed Engine, Deflector, and Shield EC values for a second time, which is going to hurt casual player and small fleets. And the main focus of the update - Crafting, really didn't change. The only thing that changed is that it's now an overgrown DOFF mission with more Dilithium tax installed.

So sorry, I can't see anything good about 9.5.

This, additionally it seems they cknowledge they make little more than a social network game by introducing a "skip doff countdown for dilithium" - premium mechanic. These are not good signs at all. And believe it or not, I don't enjoy complaining all the time XD
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The new DOff interface is a massive upgrade. No more navigating window after window. Everything is there upfront.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    capnmanx wrote: »
    Take a moment to really think about what you just said.

More like they have what they believe is a cool idea, then already nerf a few things in preparation of promoting said new thing (crafting, in this case). Alas, then they proceed like they always do, and come up with a half-arsed and/or buggy implementation of said new feature; meanwhile being too pressed by marketing to start working on yet newer things, whilst being too proud and stubborn to just undo their previous mistake.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2014

tbh, I believe that there will be even more than 90% of all players who dislike the new craftig. Simply because it's yet again a new dil sink (as it was before) + it even became a gamble.

Well, I'd bet 90% of players don't use the current crafting system. Is there passive monetization in it? Yes. There is in the current system. And while lack of good craftable items/rewards may be an issue, the new system will have new rewards. New rewards take time. Time takes money. The new system has to generate money to cover that time.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well, I'd bet 90% of players don't use the current crafting system. Is there passive monetization in it? Yes. There is in the current system. And while lack of good craftable items/rewards may be an issue, the new system will have new rewards. New rewards take time. Time takes money. The new system has to generate money to cover that time.

And players will kick and scream that it takes time and money and walk away in a huff because they don't want to work for it.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I can remember doffing getting voted as one of the best mini games around n there have to go n mess with it. Im sorry if u feel differently but why fix something that is not broken. There is stll lots of bugs in the game that need sorting e,g power tray that still removes powers for no reason (yes they said it was fixed but it did it to me last week) or forgets wot doff u used. There is lots of things that they could of added to the game that players wont ent maco outfit picards stargazer fix for gal x lance been of centra n 100s of other things.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • shadoreshadore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My brother started playing STO recently. He just unlocked the doff system for the first time. He can't figure it out and doesn't know what to do with the doffs. It needs to change for new casual players. I haven't checked out the new doff interface but if it's simpler and allows my brother to have fun with it, then I'm all for it.

My brother also likes to explore and roleplay a Starfleet captain. The loss of the exploration missions are going to affect him very negatively.

I think they should keep the exploration missions. I also think there should be a way in the options menu to switch between the new and old doff interfaces. With that option new players like my brother can use the new interface while more experienced players can use the old interface.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Ok, let me ask you in a different way to make you understand what I mean:

Do you think all this marketing push is there to promote the new stuff OR is it there with it's nice giveaways to excuse the poor quality of what is coming?
    The Marketing is always the same. It never changes. Try to understand that. PWE does things the same way every single time.

They are not giving anything away. Every 6 months they have an LTS sale, whether there is a new Season or Expansion or not. It is just what the Marketing Team does. They are on a fixed schedule. They are not trying to promote anything.
    The game has, essentially, NO Crafting System right now. Thus all the players are currently playing with NO Crafting System. If people do not like the new Crafting System they are no-more required to use it then the current Crafting System. Get it? From that standpoint nothing has changed at all.

Ultimately this is just you pretending your own opinion is bigger then everyone else's. You do not like X so 90% of everyone will not like it. That is no-more true in STO then it is in WoW, LotRO, SWTOR, or any other MMO.

You are not the enchanged Snowflake who gets to decide what everyone else will like. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    shadore wrote: »
    I think they should keep the exploration missions. I also think there should be a way in the options menu to switch between the new and old doff interfaces. With that option new players like my brother can use the new interface while more experienced players can use the old interface.

Here is my understanding of why the Exploration Clusters are being removed in Season 9.5. Cryptic wants us to do missions to acquire crafting resources instead of farming for crafting resources by just scanning anomalies in the Exploration Clusters, but if it was just a matter of farming crafting resources, then there is no need to remove the Exploration Clusters. Just remove the anomalies and leave the rest alone. Therefore, Cryptic must be doing an Exploration Revamp for Expansion 2 or Season 9.5 which is extremely unlikely. There is no point to waste resources on something that is going to be completely changed in a few months.
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'd agree about the exploration missions - I mean, of ALL things to leave out of a Star Trek game - except that, with the best will in the world, they weren't very good. They were pretty schematic even the first time I played them, and it was only a few goes before I started to notice the same scenarios coming round again with the names changed.

It'd be difficult to do much better so long as the missions were auto-generated, though. I think the time may have come for Captain Hunter's cunning plan. Maybe that's actually what they're planning behind the scenes? You never know. We can hope :-)
    edited June 2014
    And players will kick and scream that it takes time and money and walk away in a huff because they don't want to work for it.
    Players kick and scream no matter what. Some will walk away because of what the game currently has and some will walk away because of what it will become; and some will return because of the change, and so on.

Almost no change is universally hated in an MMO. Even Sony's Star Wars Galaxies lasted 6 years past NGE - and would still be going if Lucas had chosen to renew the license and allowed two SW games to be active at the same time.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • illisstr8illisstr8 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    If seen many negative reactions about the upcoming Crafting and DOFFing overhaul.
    What do you guys think are the positive sides of it?

I don't mind the new system "IF" it were not time gated, did not come with such a high dilithium price, did not have several steps to complete, and if they somehow managed to include the daily 1.2k dilithium mission.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2014
    Ultimately this is just you pretending your own opinion is bigger then everyone else's. You do not like X so 90% of everyone will not like it. That is no-more true in STO then it is in WoW, LotRO, SWTOR, or any other MMO.

You are not the enchanged Snowflake who gets to decide what everyone else will like. :)
    There's a big difference in saying: "It will be like..." or "I believe it will be like..."

What I said was:
    edited June 2014
    There's a big difference in saying: "It will be like..." or "I believe it will be like..."
    Technically there is no difference at all when it comes to precognitive statements. When you state something on a forum about the future you are giving your opinion no matter how you word it - as you cannot actually see into the future. :)
    edited June 2014
    Technically there is no difference at all when it comes to precognitive statements. When you state something on a forum about the future you are giving your opinion no matter how you word it - as you cannot actually see into the future. :)

determination vs presumption...that's the difference
    edited June 2014

Oh I can see into the future! I see ... the cup of coffee at my side will be empty in 5 minutes. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    season 8 was the bomb that sank to the bottom without exploding and no one noticed. dinosaurs with freaking lazors on their heads.. pah! it was quickly buried by the devs and community alike.

i doubt 9.5 will be such a massive disaster as season 8 was tbh.

I'm sorry but season 8 doesn't compare to 9.5 You forget that Star Trek has all sorts of craziness within each episodes. . Dinosaurs with lasers on their heads... so what. It's just a mob in one zone. Plus if you watched the Voyager episode and thought of things like "working or service dogs" it's not that far fetched or really out of place.

Destroying a working detailed UI and/or dumbing down the DOff system for idiots... is game breaking. Thinking people will gambled with dilithium on rarity and mods is futile.

I am really really worried about the leadership among the developers. They are going the wrong direction or made the decision to push a build that was so alpha to tribble that it should have never seen the light of day on a public test server.
  • crusaders4christcrusaders4christ Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    .... The game has, essentially, NO Crafting System right now.

but it does, granted it is not a good one, yet it is there. So players can choose to use that system or not if they choose to.

.... Thus all the players are currently playing with NO Crafting System. If people do not like the new Crafting System they are no-more required to use it then the current Crafting System. Get it? From that standpoint nothing has changed at all....

People still use the current system, just not many of them. Things have changed to some degree because it now uses the doff system and it is more involving. It is necessarily not a bad thing, but it added an element that effects the economy, dilithium earnings or consumption etc...

It also changed the way the clusters and nebula work, by altering its gameplay. It was easier to get crafting materials, now it is not that simple. The 1,200 dilithium daily has been effected, unless they changed that mission to support the doff system, if not, it has changed the nature of the game. Reducing yet another dilithium resource.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The problem of the old/current crafting system was that nothing was worth crafting. Everything in the crafting table was worse and/or way more expensive than the stuff you get from mission rewards, fleet store, rep store.

From what I have seen on some videos some people on tribble made it's just the same but worse.
    Endgame stuff still costs roughly about 20k dil + additional materials, rarity depends on your boffs, mk XII purple isn't even craftable and the modifiers are RANDOM. So you spend about 20k dil and HOPE you get the gear you want. Again, whats the point of crafting when EVERY other source in the game gives better gear?

Only two positive things come to my mind:
    1. It let's you choose the the energy type and mk of the weapons you craft, which is nice since it cleans up the UI
    2. seems like the Aegis Set doesn't need dil anymore, which makes it more toon friendly and makes it a good option from lvl 40 till you have rep & fleet gear IF IT STAYS DILITHIUM FREE
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    1. I hope that's not all of 9.5 and we'll get at least another FE (that would be something positive) ... right now it looks worse than Season 4 ... "Shooter Mode" was TRIBBLE, but at least you could still use the old system, New Doffing & Crafting you can't

2. It got me to Doff a lot, and play Exploration Clusters again ... because I'll probably abandon Doffing, after 9.5 is live ... not into the whole "Doffing for 2 year olds & blind people" - UI - Revamp
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • reallydumbpwereallydumbpwe Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    :rolleyes:
  • reallydumbpwereallydumbpwe Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    In the end, some people like cake and some people do not like cake. It's up to you to decide if you like cake.

The cake is a lie!
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm sorry but season 8 doesn't compare to 9.5 You forget that Star Trek has all sorts of craziness within each episodes. . Dinosaurs with lasers on their heads... so what. It's just a mob in one zone. Plus if you watched the Voyager episode and thought of things like "working or service dogs" it's not that far fetched or really out of place.

Destroying a working detailed UI and/or dumbing down the DOff system for idiots... is game breaking. Thinking people will gambled with dilithium on rarity and mods is futile.

I am really really worried about the leadership among the developers. They are going the wrong direction or made the decision to push a build that was so alpha to tribble that it should have never seen the light of day on a public test server.

you can compare them because its the same group of people and same audience. for the record the devs already done the destroying things that had no need to be broken, this is just another example but it wont be the worst. thats what i stating here, season 8 was worse because no one wants to know about it or talk about it :P. it was such a disaster for sto.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.