What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Swim Wear Seen Off Risa

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    shevet wrote: »
    However....

If you see my Orion toon, or my Fed character's Orion boff, around the place, you will almost certainly see them fully dressed. The reason being that, in my mind at least, they spend their time going into potentially hazardous situations - alien ecosystems, unfamiliar atmospheres, inclement weather, and above all people shooting at them - where showing lots of bare skin is unwise, not just inappropriate.

This. My KDF's Orion boff goes around in full battle armor.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Right, see, I'm with centersolace on this one. Starfleet officers wearing hodgepodge uniforms from all eras and flying around in Jem'Hadar DNs and Undine frigates? Perfectly fine. Klingon chick in a bikini? Immersion-breaking. :rolleyes:

Do the terms "hypocrisy", "selective perception", or "logical disconnect" ring any bells?

I agree with this so much it almost literally hurts.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    "Immersion" is not defined by anyone except CBS Studios and to a lesser extent, Cryptic Studios.

The fans of Star Trek and the players of Star Trek Online do not define what counts as "Immersion". They can have their own various opinions on what "immersion" is and is not, but just like the phrase "Real Star Trek", it is a definition that is not universally agreed-upon by all.

The only definition is the one that the owners of the Star Trek IP and Cryptic Studios says it is. No matter how illogical it might be, it comes down to the simple fact it is a property owned by someone and they decide how it is licensed. Not you, not me, not 'us'.

Clearly this is a bug and must be fixed, and as noted in the dev blogs and elsewhere, the swimwear is not intended to be worn outside of Risa.

Unless anyone here represents the legal owner of the Star Trek intellectual property, it does not matter what your opinion is in regards to the swimwear restrictions in STO. CBS Studios and Cryptic Studios made up their mind on this.

Get over it.

I think you are confusing Immersion with Canon or License Agreements. Either way Immersion is a subjective term and actually it is ONLY decided by the person who would experience it or not.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    I think you are confusing Immersion with Canon or License Agreements. Either way Immersion is a subjective term and actually it is ONLY decided by the person who would experience it or not.

It is decided by the person who owns the immersive experience to begin with. This has been the way of intellectual property for ages. They decide how much or how little immersive something is that they license to.

The fans can have their opinions, but they are just opinions and the licensor does not have to agree with them. This has been the case with Star Trek for decades over what Star Trek series, movies, or indiviudal episodes broke the 'immersion' of Star Trek. And it continued with the novels, comics, video games, etc.

They are not obligated to explain their reasoning. They are not obligated to provide logic for their decisions. They are not obligated to convince you or me that something is or is not immervise, and what the limits or boundaries are.

In short, 'immersion' is an emotion, a feeling, a perception. It can not be defined by a universal agreement because we all have tastes and opinions that differ greatly.

If immersion is an emotion, feeling, or perception -- then the only opinion that matters (and thus the only legitimate definition) is the one who owns the immersion to begin with.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Eh, I'm one of those who choose to go about in full modern Starfleet uniforms/armour suits. I'm a Starfleet Officer and half the time I'm in combat so wearing civilian clothing or bikinis isn't practical. But on the other hand who am I to judge what other people wear? I generally tend to ignore them anyway since they're in a mishmash of random outfits/uniforms from random eras.

So why not let other people run around in their swimsuits if it makes them happy? *Shrug.* I don't see what the big deal is. I'm saving up for swimsuits to wear on Risa but that's fine, my characters are on vacation. ;) When they're done they'll don their uniforms once more and go back to saving the galaxy.
  • no09dysonsphereno09dysonsphere Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It is decided by the person who owns the immersive experience to begin with. This has been the way of intellectual property for ages. They decide how much or how little immersive something is that they license to.

The fans can have their opinions, but they are just opinions and the licensor does not have to agree with them. This has been the case with Star Trek for decades over what Star Trek series, movies, or indiviudal episodes broke the 'immersion' of Star Trek. And it continued with the novels, comics, video games, etc.

They are not obligated to explain their reasoning. They are not obligated to provide logic for their decisions. They are not obligated to convince you or me that something is or is not immervise, and what the limits or boundaries are.

Completely disagree. "Immersion" is in the eye of the beholder, or the experiencer. The IP owner dictates what he wants to go into the experience, that's fine, but whether the experience itself is "immerisve" or not is a judgement call made by the consumer. The IP owner can do whatever they want, and fans can equally dismiss what the IP owner does as non immersive.
    edited June 2014
    Completely disagree. "Immersion" is in the eye of the beholder, or the experiencer. The IP owner dictates what he wants to go into the experience, that's fine, but whether the experience itself is "immerisve" or not is a judgement call made by the consumer. The IP owner can do whatever they want, and fans can equally dismiss what the IP owner does as non immersive.

And in the end, what the fans dismiss as immersive or not immersive is inconsequential to the IP holder. They [the fans] do not make the rulings.

Immersion is an emotion, a feeling, or a perception. The immersion of "Star Trek" can not be universally defined by the fans. What is acceptable to one person as 'immersive' may seem contradictory to another.

Since emotions and feelings can't be universally agreed-upon in regards to something like Star Trek, then whoever owns Star Trek ends up having the only opinion that matters.

And it is up to the fans to either accept it as artistic license by CBS Studios and Cryptic Studios, or to get over it.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Mr Iconians needs to seriously open a dictionary once in a while.

Immersion or an immersive experience is not something that is defined by anyone, it either is or isn't.
    And immersion itself is definitely not by any definition whatsoever an emotion.
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The same group of people seen doing this in Drozana have been seen with other bugged appearances like mixing STF gear and clothes and uniforms of different factions, so this is not new bug. The only thing new is there is new outfits for them to use their bug with.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • preechrsapreechrsa Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    QB9uMQb.png
    Personally, I'm glad for the opportunity to finally crush those meddlesome Joes.
    hzzfzXc.png
    Shutup Wesley: First In Everything
  • krysinskikrysinski Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    http://i.imgur.com/7HtrxwT.png

Don't you know? It's a Gorn exclusive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Academy is always open!
  • tenelltenell Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Don't you know Orions are so last years news? Its all about the Gorns in shorts now.

http://i.imgur.com/HwZl6jF.png
    RlZDKhp.gif
  • synthiasuicidesynthiasuicide Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's not an exploit. But, an example of what the state of the game is.

Fed matters more then KDF. When they tested surely they did most with Fed toons. Since that's the main population.

I did no bug to use the swimsuit outside of Risa. I transwarped to Qonos to do the Contraband thing and there it was. But, its' funny this is such a big deal.

I have yet to visit anywhere else. what time I have I do the Risa daily with a couple toons, and Space Missions. So I don't care wether they fix it or not. I spend 90% of this game in space. lol

It is funny that it also shows how few play Fed only. Since they be the ones who cry out OMG! Exploit, etc.

It'ss a KDF, Rom/KDF bug. Buy swimsuit, wear it, Go wherever you want in it. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Its too bad STO isnt an RPG, or they could fix this easily with a -50% to armor and shields for wearing off-duty gear.

You dont need armor and shields for social zones.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited June 2014
    I demand that swim wear be made available in all zones. I like my captain's lean, mean and sexy. Set phasers to "stun"!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    "Immersion" is not defined by anyone except CBS Studios and to a lesser extent, Cryptic Studios.

The fans of Star Trek and the players of Star Trek Online do not define what counts as "Immersion". They can have their own various opinions on what "immersion" is and is not, but just like the phrase "Real Star Trek", it is a definition that is not universally agreed-upon by all.

The only definition is the one that the owners of the Star Trek IP and Cryptic Studios says it is. No matter how illogical it might be, it comes down to the simple fact it is a property owned by someone and they decide how it is licensed. Not you, not me, not 'us'.

Clearly this is a bug and must be fixed, and as noted in the dev blogs and elsewhere, the swimwear is not intended to be worn outside of Risa.

Unless anyone here represents the legal owner of the Star Trek intellectual property, it does not matter what your opinion is in regards to the swimwear restrictions in STO. CBS Studios and Cryptic Studios made up their mind on this.

Get over it.

I'm sorry but (and I don't mean this sardonically) I'd love to talk to someone in consumer products at any company about how they draft their standards, what kinds of promotions they run, how brands are managed.

That really is my dog in this fight. I don't have a personal interest in wearing swimwear around the game. I'm interested in discussing, debating and, yes, second guessing consumer products policies, branding, and design.

That is really the only valid reason for forums. Anything else would be better handled through blogs and tickets.

What ought to get outlawed is "shut up"/"let it rest"/"I don't care"/"I'm sick of this topic"/"stopo whining" posts on ANY TOPIC, ever. Posters on a forum should have an unlimited tolerance for armchair IP and design quarterbacking. That's what forums are for.
    edited June 2014
    Its too bad STO isnt an RPG, or they could fix this easily with a -50% to armor and shields for wearing off-duty gear.

Yeah... I've suggested this. Often. It would be consistent and rational, not arbitrary and taste based.
    edited June 2014

But then how would my Orion toon fight? That would be a cruel nerf to the KDF!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
    edited June 2014
    preechrsa wrote: »
    QB9uMQb.png
    Personally, I'm glad for the opportunity to finally crush those meddlesome Joes.

Okay. You're using a different method than I am. Tell me how you do this in a PM and I'll tell you how I do it.
    edited June 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    But then how would my Orion toon fight? That would be a cruel nerf to the KDF!

Expand the Orion species trait to negate the penalty.
    edited June 2014
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Absolutely right. I also believe that forums posters should have endless amounts of tolerance. In fact, posters should be so incredibly tolerant, that they should tell OTHER posters how to post on forums! Phrases like "stop whining"/ "let it rest"/"I don't care" and so on should definitely be banned and outlawed from the forums. That's just one example of my boundless tolerance for forums posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DItgXSSknpo

Let's all gather around the camp fire, sing kumbaya and make some s'mores.

- Judge Aaron Satie
    edited June 2014
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Absolutely right. I also believe that forums posters should have endless amounts of tolerance. In fact, posters should be so incredibly tolerant, that they should tell OTHER posters how to post on forums! Phrases like "stop whining"/ "let it rest"/"I don't care" and so on should definitely be banned and outlawed from the forums. That's just one example of my boundless tolerance for forums posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DItgXSSknpo

Well, I agree with your stated position. I'm sure this is probably some example of Poe's Law where I'm the fundamentalist and you're the satirist but, really, tolerance isn't my objective here so much as endless debate is, which I think is, really, what life is about. And if that means some intolerance for exasperation, so be it.
    edited June 2014
    Mr Iconians needs to seriously open a dictionary once in a while.

Immersion or an immersive experience is not something that is defined by anyone, it either is or isn't.
    And immersion itself is definitely not by any definition whatsoever an emotion.

You're agreeing with me without actually agreeing with me.

Can immersion be defined by anyone? No.

If it can't be defined, why can't it be defined? Because it is a mental state that inherently varies from person to person.

Emotion can be part of immersion, but not all forms of immersion are emotion exclusively. "Feeling" immersed in Star Trek by definition is an emotive state.

Immersion either is or isn't? Correct. Because it is dependant on the individual to perceive or not perceive.

If something is or isn't, then it needs to be able to be defined. If it can't be defined, but has an absolution of either 'is' or 'is not', then I'm going have to say that's an emotion -- even if you're saying it isn't an emotion.

If it can't be defined, but either exists or does not exist, then the only party who ultimately decides is the property owner. And as intellectual property goes, they have the rights to artistic freedom (or in this case, restriction, which is in of itself a form of artistic freedom) -- without having to abide by any sort of 'logic' or 'illogic' as set by STO players who have different opinions.

The only sense of 'immersion' that matters, is the one that CBS Studios and Cryptic Studios says that matters. It is up to the fans to be immersed or not be immersed. STO's owners as a whole do not have to explain their artistic and development choices if they do not want to.

They explained them in game, on the forums, and in dev blogs. It is up to others to accept it or get over it.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • preechrsapreechrsa Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    e7aT09Z.png

This year's styles are so fabulous!
    hzzfzXc.png
    Shutup Wesley: First In Everything
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm not going to delete or edit my original post. I don't mind being "that guy" in this case because it's really immersion breaking for me to see people walking around space stations in swim trunks.
    What I really can't stand is all the people that continue to take advantage of bugged stuff and exploits in this game. They should be perma-banned.
    So it's all about you.

Personally, I can't stand the idea of swimsuits/beachwear being worn around spacedock, etc., but I take the adult option and ignore all that, just like I ignore the THOUSANDS of USS EnterpriZes, Kirks, Picards and anyone who flies a USS IM0VR9000 or USS UrMomzHawt. If you're fixating on minor things like swimwear in an area known for weird RP and cybering, then I don't know how you can play this game at all...
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
    edited June 2014
    You're agreeing with me without actually agreeing with me.

Can immersion be defined by anyone? No.

If it can't be defined, why can't it be defined? Because it is a mental state that inherently varies from person to person.

Emotion can be part of immersion, but not all forms of immersion are emotion exclusively. "Feeling" immersed in Star Trek by definition is an emotive state.

Immersion either is or isn't? Correct. Because it is dependant on the individual to perceive or not perceive.

If something is or isn't, then it needs to be able to be defined. If it can't be defined, but has an absolution of either 'is' or 'is not', then I'm going have to say that's an emotion -- even if you're saying it isn't an emotion.

If it can't be defined, but either exists or does not exist, then the only party who ultimately decides is the property owner. And as intellectual property goes, they have the rights to artistic freedom (or in this case, restriction, which is in of itself a form of artistic freedom) -- without having to abide by any sort of 'logic' or 'illogic' as set by STO players who have different opinions.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You're going a long way with some assumptions, starting with the one that subjective views are only valid for the person who has already subjectively experienced them.

My take here is that you a coherent and self-consistent policy trumps all.

Second, that while immersion may be subjective, there are fairly consistent standards for what enhances or diminishes immersion. There's academic research on this. It can be polled. It can be measured in percentages and through qualitative data.

Just because something is qualitative and subjective doesn't mean it's invalid. Really, I think it comes down to the consistency of an argument and the quality and coherency of the a priori arguments, not property rights.

Anyone trained in consumer products or marketing is concerned with the appearance of coherency in the eyes of the consumer and actively tries to avoid "because I own it and I say so" dictums.
  • delsabereduxdelsaberedux Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm sorry but (and I don't mean this sardonically)

Don't you have to be a bit laid-back or a little self-aware before you can be sardonic? Just a thought. I don't have David Letterman on speed dial, unfortunately.
    Relax.
    edited June 2014
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. You're going a long way with some assumptions, starting with the one that subjective views are only valid for the person who has already subjectively experienced them.

My take here is that you a coherent and self-consistent policy trumps all.

At the risk of sounding like Lionel Hutz, I'll say that self-consistence is a form of consistence.
    Second, that while immersion may be subjective, there are fairly consistent standards for what enhances or diminishes immersion. There's academic research on this. It can be polled. It can be measured in percentages and through qualitative data.

Unless this can be directly applied to an extremely diverse and opinionated group like STO, I'd say that's a cherry-picked study (or series of studies). Furthermore, I'll also argue that even if such a study were made on the STO playerbase as a whole, it ultimately would not matter in terms of actions being taken (or not taken), due to artistic license.
    Just because something is qualitative and subjective doesn't mean it's invalid. Really, I think it comes down to the consistency of an argument and the quality and coherency of the a priori arguments, not property rights.

I think it does make it invalid, but I do concede you may have some good points.
    Anyone trained in consumer products or marketing is concerned with the appearance of coherency in the eyes of the consumer and actively tries to avoid "because I own it and I say so" dictums.

George Lucas, EA Games (particularly BioWare), and other creators would disagree. They have invoked 'Because I own it and I say so' on numerous occasions without seemingly worse for the wear. People are still buying BioWare games, people are still giving the Star Wars IP money hand-over-foot despite the things George Lucas chose to do with his property.

And in terms of STO, there seem to be enough players saying immersion was already ruined because of this or that, but they still seem to fork over money for zen and play the game. So clearly it is not a matter of such great importance as to affect their profits made.

And it is yet still important enough to CBS Studios or Cryptic Studios as to make this decision in the game -- since they clearly are not as disillusioned with immersion as various players have stated they are. Which brings me back to my original point that their opinion is the only one that matters when it comes to such things.
    ExtxpTp.jpg