test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upgrades for "real weapons" (from the shows)?

Comments

• centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I wonder why Cryptic hates pistols.
  • kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Also, could we PLEASE make the Bajoran weapons like the TOS weapons so that each time you click on the pack you get the weapons, I have an all Bajoran crew in Bajoran uniforms I'd like to equip with Bajoran rifles.
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • ender357ender357 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    also, there are more energ types, such as verteron energy and even subnucleonic
  • hawke89305092hawke89305092 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There's a reason that I stick to Mk IX common phaser pistols on my Starfleet characters, and this is it.

I would do dirty things to get Cryptic to recycle that model for an endgame weapon... :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    (...)

...STO's timeline is ~2409-2410.

TOS & films generally took place between 2263-2293. That's 117 years ago.
    TNG & films generally took place between 2364-2379. That's 31 years ago.
    DS9 generally took place between 2369-2375. That's 35 years ago.
    VOY generally took place between 2371-2378. That's 32 years ago.
    ENT generally took pace between 2151-2161. That's 249 years ago.

This is Star Trek Online, but it is not TOS Online - it's not TNG Online - it's not DS9 Online - it's not VOY Online - it's not ENT Online. It's Star Trek Online...it's 2410...deal with it.

But why on earth would anyone want to play a Star Trek game that looks nothing like the shows and movies? I certainly don't play this game for Cryptic's own, roughly-based-on-designs that clearly belong more to a Mass Effect fangame than a Star Trek game. :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • gogereavergogereaver Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    yea dunno where hes going with this unless hes asking for rep version of retro phasers. because short of rep gear there the best free phasers in the game.
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ...STO's timeline is ~2409-2410.

TOS & films generally took place between 2263-2293. That's 117 years ago.
    TNG & films generally took place between 2364-2379. That's 31 years ago.
    DS9 generally took place between 2369-2375. That's 35 years ago.
    VOY generally took place between 2371-2378. That's 32 years ago.
    ENT generally took pace between 2151-2161. That's 249 years ago.

This is Star Trek Online, but it is not TOS Online - it's not TNG Online - it's not DS9 Online - it's not VOY Online - it's not ENT Online. It's Star Trek Online...it's 2410...deal with it.

edit: The "deal with it" may come off as harsh to some, but in the end - it is what it is. This isn't the first thread nor first post on the matter wishing that STO was more like a particular series or movie, but the game is not set during any such period - so it doesn't make sense for it to do that. It's moved forward - it's moving Trek forward. Folks will get into that it's not moving Trek Canon forward, etc, etc, etc - but they can't play Trek Canon - so it's a moot argument. Heck, I'd love a TOS Online or even a TOS-era Movie Online game - without all the garbage that came later; but it's not that - it's not set during that time period. I had to accept it, I had to deal with it...simple as that.

AK47. :cool:
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    But why on earth would anyone want to play a Star Trek game that looks nothing like the shows and movies?

The same reason some folks decided to watch TNG.
    The same reason some folks decided to watch DS9.
    The same reason some folks decided to watch VOY.
    The same reason some folks decided to watch ENT.

And sure, some folks won't like what STO is doing and some won't play...

Just like some folks decided not to watch TNG.
    Just like some folks decided not to watch DS9.
    Just like some folks decided not to watch VOY.
    Just like some folks decided not to watch ENT.

STO's for the Star Trek fan...not the TOS fan, not the DS9 fan, not the VOY fan, not the ENT fan - for all the fans - the Star Trek fans.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The same reason some folks decided to watch TNG.
    The same reason some folks decided to watch DS9.
    The same reason some folks decided to watch VOY.
    The same reason some folks decided to watch ENT.

And sure, some folks won't like what STO is doing and some won't play...

Just like some folks decided not to watch TNG.
    Just like some folks decided not to watch DS9.
    Just like some folks decided not to watch VOY.
    Just like some folks decided not to watch ENT.

STO's for the Star Trek fan...not the TOS fan, not the DS9 fan, not the VOY fan, not the ENT fan - for all the fans - the Star Trek fans.

ENT bad example as it got canned :) and like you said star trek is for all this should be the main reason every thing from the show/movies should be in the game now it being top level stuff is another story
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    OK how bout some of the Lobi store weapons, like the new wrist laser, only rare. Elachi pistol, only rare, voth AP cannon which is still quite hard hitting only rare.

Upgraded dominion ground set, only rare it's a mkII, or the upgraded dominion pistol, only rare.

Cost lobi crystals, but only rare?

Sorry I can see why some are against some of the c-store stuff not going to lvl XII and not being very rare, but the Lobi store weapons, come on you can't sit there and tell me that those cannot be mk XII very rare grade.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    edited May 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    ENT bad example as it got canned :) and like you said star trek is for all this should be the main reason every thing from the show/movies should be in the game now it being top level stuff is another story

Not every race, technology, ship, person from TOS was in TNG.
    Not every race, technology, ship, person from from TNG was in DS9.

etc.

Or the other way round:

In TOS, there weren't any Bajorans. Or a Dominion.
    So aren't they Trek?

Reproducing things just to be self-referential isn't good. It's just that... self-referential.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited May 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Not every race, technology, ship, person from TOS was in TNG.
    Not every race, technology, ship, person from from TNG was in DS9.

etc.

Or the other way round:

In TOS, there weren't any Bajorans. Or a Dominion.
    So aren't they Trek?

Reproducing things just to be self-referential isn't good. It's just that... self-referential.

im not saying have every species playable every plot ability seen in out all of star trek add to the game... but show/movies hand weapons would not be a huge massive undertaking at least In my opinion and this game is set after tng so Bajorans Dominion have been seen

and im going to tell you straight up i would not be playing this game at all if nothing from show/movies was not in this game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited May 2014
    im not saying have every species playable every plot ability seen in out all of star trek add to the game... but show/movies hand weapons would not be a huge massive undertaking at least In my opinion and this game is set after tng so Bajorans Dominion have been seen

and im going to tell you straight up i would not be playing this game at all if nothing from show/movies was not in this game

But 2410 weapons haven't been seen in TNG/DS9/Voy.
    Because... 2410.
    That doesn't mean they aren't Trek. They are just new. Because that's the given scenario.

Weapons from older eras are, too, in the game.
    I just can't follow people saying "this is not Trek" because

1. it has new stuff never seen before
    2. old stuff we know from the series isn't top notch anymore
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited May 2014
    But 2410 weapons haven't been seen in TNG/DS9/Voy.
    Because... 2410.
    That doesn't mean they aren't Trek. They are just new. Because that's the given scenario.

Weapons from older eras are, too, in the game.
    I just can't follow people saying "this is not Trek" because

1. it has new stuff never seen before
    2. old stuff we know from the series isn't top notch anymore

as to why i said it being top level is another story :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ENT bad example as it got canned :)

Yep, just like TOS- which had an even shorter run than Enterprise. :rolleyes:
    edited May 2014
    Yep, just like TOS- which had an even shorter run than Enterprise. :rolleyes:

well fans some how got it back for one more season then it was going to have if i recall right
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited May 2014
    as to why i said it being top level is another story :)

Well yeah.
    But you still see my problem. I just quoted you for convenience to make a bigger point.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • thecegorachthecegorach Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    oldkirkfan wrote: »
    I want to take my Kentucky Long Rifle in, and have it updated to a modern weapon.
    This, and take my Model T and refit it to run in the Indy 500.

When was the Colt .45 invented? 1903 or something, right? To fight the Moro tribesmen in the Philippines.

100+ years later, it's still a perfectly serviceable (and instantly recognizable/iconic) firearm.
    edited May 2014
    When was the Colt .45 invented? 1903 or something, right? To fight the Moro tribesmen in the Philippines.

100+ years later, it's still a perfectly serviceable (and instantly recognizable/iconic) firearm.

1911...and uh...the Colt .45 from 1911 isn't the same gun as the Colt .45 a hundred years later. Might bare the same name, but then again - Ford F150's roll off the assembly line year after year with the same name too...
    edited May 2014
    1911...and uh...the Colt .45 from 1911 isn't the same gun as the Colt .45 a hundred years later. Might bare the same name, but then again - Ford F150's roll off the assembly line year after year with the same name too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gewehr_98
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited May 2014
    well fans some how got it back for one more season then it was going to have if i recall right

And it still didn't last as long as Enterprise, which also didn't have to be brought back from the dead.

In fact, if you want to point to episode count/how long the series ran and claim it as a measure of quality, then obviously the only series worse than TOS was TAS, Enterprise outlasted TOS, and everything else stomped TOS, TAS, and Enterprise. :D

Depends which "Colt .45" you mean. The .45 Single Action Army revolver came out in 1873. The semi-automatic you're almost undoubtedly referring to is the Colt M1911, which came out in (I know, right? :D ) 1911.
  • thecegorachthecegorach Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Whatever may have changed about them since the 1911 model, they still look pretty much the same, looking at online pictures anyhow, which in the context of this discussion would support the idea of upgrading at the very least the TNG-era weapons whilst retaining their recognizable appearances.
    edited May 2014
    And it still didn't last as long as Enterprise, which also didn't have to be brought back from the dead.

In fact, if you want to point to episode count/how long the series ran and claim it as a measure of quality, then obviously the only series worse than TOS was TAS, Enterprise outlasted TOS, and everything else stomped TOS, TAS, and Enterprise. :D

i see TOS as the foundation the one that started it all but i should say imo its TNG DS9 VOY that took off with it ENT is what killed it along with Star Trek Nemesis

also im not trying to trash TOS in any way
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited May 2014

The new M 98, M 03, M 12...are not the same as the original guns. They're also produced as hunting rifles rather than combat arms.

Check out some of what's going on today:

http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/guns-2000-2009.asp

www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/guns-2010-2019.asp
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Sad part is, most of the lobi weapons are only rare at best. You think it's sad that the c-store weapons are low, try the lobi weapons that are outclassed already.

Well they did buff the temporal rifle recently and some of the last major additions haven't been light weights (voth minigun and undine wrist lance, the latter of which is probably my new favorite weapon). There's definitely been a lack of attention paid to where pricy special weapons fit into the current scale but it seems that's changing.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    For those that say we can't have vr versions of the canon weapons I say poppycock. Just because it's old does not mean it is inferior or ineffective to new, modern weapons. If they had a Remington M870 or M203 in game, I could go to Defera Invasion Zone and ask the Borg why they can't adapt to ancient technology as I dismember every drooling drone in the area. Infact Picard used a Tommy Gun on the Borg. 500 YO weapons laying waste to the "most feared" race in the galaxy.

The thing is, is it's an ideal way for Cryptic to make more money on the game, especially if they add ship parts.
    HzLLhLB.gif

edited May 2014
    i see TOS as the foundation the one that started it all but i should say imo its TNG DS9 VOY that took off with it ENT is what killed it along with Star Trek Nemesis

also im not trying to trash TOS in any way

All well and good, but it doesn't change the simple fact that TOS did get cancelled just like ENT. Except ENT got much farther along before the studio gave up on it.

I also suspect it's less true that "ENT killed it" than that after Star Trek: [subtitle] being on nonstop for 18 years, with multiple series on at once most of that time, simple burnout killed it. (TNG went on-air in 1987, and there was at least one Star Trek series on from then until 2005 when ENT got the axe.)
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited May 2014

John Moses Browning officially patented his short recoil operating system in 1899. The Colt Model 1900 was introduced shortly afterwards, chambered in .38 ACP (the ancestor of the .38 Super cartridge). The .45 ACP was first commercially available in the Colt Model 1905, but wasn't officially adopted by the U.S. Armed Forces until the Model 1911.

During the Moro uprisings, many who carried sidearms into the field griped about the .38 Long Colt's performance (Never mind the fact that the .30-40 Krag rifle cartridge also failed to stop in many instances as well). So, many opted to carry the old Colt M1873 Single Action Army, or Remington Model 1875 Army, as their sidearm of choice. Both were chambered in the .45 Colt round (also colloquially known as the ".45 Long Colt", to distinguish it from the .45 Automatic Colt Pistol cartridge).

And yes, the 1911 (along with the Browning High Power) is the finest service pistol made by the hand of man. I own several, and love them.
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Whatever may have changed about them since the 1911 model, they still look pretty much the same, looking at online pictures anyhow, which in the context of this discussion would support the idea of upgrading at the very least the TNG-era weapons whilst retaining their recognizable appearances.

Off Topic - Nothing changed on the M1911A1 in it's 103 year existence. The only reason it's no longer used by the U.S. military's conventional forces is because the other members of NATO Bit***d about NATO only adopting American calibers (specifically the 7.62 (.30 cal) and 5.56). Too Bad the .45 outclasses the 9mm in every aspect...

On Topic - You're right but every old canon weapon should be upgraded IMHO.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited May 2014

I really don't want to further this discussion (see. where holy wars come from) but I will say that's completely and utterly wrong (it should be pointed out that my tone here is :P, not :mad: or :rolleyes:). How can I say that so definitely? Because I can watch those series all together now (go netflix) and compare them directly. If you want to see where ST when wrong, where it died, look no further than the entire breadth of TNG, VOY, and DS9. It was a gradual thing but a definite format, a style, developed which simply got boring after a while. ENT tried to reinvigorate the franchise but by that point it was too late. UPN had the oomph to push it off for their very silly programming plans (see what became of UPN) because even at a conceptual level ST was played out. Too much baggage, too little real development in the modes of story telling, points of view, or the concepts involved. There's only so much you can do to buck a sociological trend more than two decades in the making.

Don't blame the last one out. Chances are the preceeding mob created the mess, and with that in mind I'm not too keen on making sure that every bit of memorabilia from that time is appropriate to have center stage in STO. It has its own story to tell, its own icons to make (in a very small way). Reverence should be paid to the founding elements, but we should make sure the focus is on the new content.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!