test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upgrades for "real weapons" (from the shows)?

124»

Comments

• altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think the best explanation is it simply doesn't have any effect on kinetics. Starsword is right in that regard: bullets ( or rocks or cars or pieces of debris) do not have a frequency to adapt to in the way an energy weapon has.
    Energy weapons just work entirely different...

Still, we have tractor beam technology and normal shields/deflectors can block solid objects. Heck, if Wesley Crusher can make a portable tractor beam emitter in "The Naked Now", I'm sure the Borg has something better (gravitron beam from the deflector dish, ho!). I'm also treating the word "adapt" as more than just changing frequencies but also changing defensive system tactics.

Once again, the limit of this system being triggered is my "speed threshold" theory.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Actually, they don't.
    Particle weapons follow particle physics, just like matter follows particle physics.

Particles do not disintegrate people. Particles do not stun people, unless a lot of them hit you very hard on the head.
    Particles are just the means of transportation. Energy causes the real effect. And that effect is filtered out.
    That would be a good point, if Cryptic's designs looked like a natural evolution of Star Trek aesthetics.

Too many guns in-game right now threw out the Star Trek look, and are just generic sci-fi guns. Because of this, I would have no problem seeing older designs creep back into use.

Admidatly they became better at that. The armitage, venture, odyssey ect look like a sort of consistent evolution from the original.
    So does the odyssey uniform.

Still that game always was about living out that Star Trek fantasy the way one likes it best at least visually.
    So why keep the weapon looks crapy just for the sake of "them being old". That argument never worked in STO and it never should.
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Admidatly they became better at that. The armitage, venture, odyssey ect look like a sort of consistent evolution from the original.
    So does the odyssey uniform.

With ships, yes. A few of the guns look nice (Voth rep), but most are still the same generic models we've always had.

Ground weapons on the whole need another revamp. We need new designs, new abilities, new melee weapons (and boffs need to use them), mk XII versions of the LoR unique weapons, ect.
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Particles do not disintegrate people. Particles do not stun people, unless a lot of them hit you very hard on the head.
    Particles are just the means of transportation. Energy causes the real effect. And that effect is filtered out.

Matter does have a frequency for gods sake.
    The physical half knowledge in this thread is driving me crazy... time to bail.
    Get a book about quantum physics. Just do.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited May 2014
    With ships, yes. A few of the guns look nice (Voth rep), but most are still the same generic models we've always had.

Ground weapons on the whole need another revamp. We need new designs, new abilities, new melee weapons (and boffs need to use them), mk XII versions of the LoR unique weapons, ect.

Could be an "Expansion #2" feature. I mean, we just killed off the Crafting NPC recently didn't we?
    (UFP) Ragnar
    edited May 2014

Agreed. And while they are on that they can implement my desired customization :)
    Or something like guild wars transformation stones...
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would try doing the calculations for kinetic energy impact of various handheld to mounted projectile weapon versus the energy output of a Borg drone forcefield's against a physical force, but I think that would have to be for another thread.

(You do have me giggling to myself at the image of a Browning heavy machine gun firing full auto into a swarm of drones, though)

Shields, gentlemen. Borg adapt with their shields. Yes, their body armor still obey the laws of physics (not counting whatever Borg nanites can do) but the Borg's defense is with their adaptive shielding.

I don't think even with the micro-transporter mod for the TR-116 that it could beam a bullet around shields.

Edit 1: Also, I don't think Federation holodecks would allow you to replicate firearms. Otherwise, you can walk into any holodeck, load up the MATRIX movie (or Star Trek equivalent) and transform that holodeck into an armory. Note how Picard didn't carry the Tommy Gun out of the holodeck; it probably was holographic and had to stay in the holodeck where the emitters are.

The thing is that we haven't seen any indication that the Borg's shields adapt to primitive kinetic energy attacks (i.e. projectiles such as bullets, arrows,spears, etc.). Which makes sense, considering that their primary targets for assimilation are advanced space faring races. Most of whom have moved on to directed energy weapons.

If the Borg did run into the oddballs out there still using firearms (or EM weapons) of some sort, their adaptation would probably center around their armor, nanotechnology (accelerated healing and combat trama-related first aid), and new redundancies in newer generations of adapted drones.

So, while projectile weapons would probably be more effective, it would be a constant race to stay one step ahead of the Collective (assuming you get constantly lucky, like the Federation did, when the Borg take notice of your culture).

With the TR-116, the transporter mechanism was an unauthorized modification. Basically, an assassin's gimmick that would not be needed in a mass produced variant.

As for the last part, I didn't say anything about taking a holo-gun from the holodeck, which would probably be impossible. I was referring to a real Thompson SMG.
    edited May 2014
    Matter does have a frequency for gods sake.
    The physical half knowledge in this thread is driving me crazy... time to bail.
    Get a book about quantum physics. Just do.

Which is what I said - for gods sake - twice now.
    But I don't need to read a book on quantum physics to discuss science fiction physics, because fact is: Phaser weapons are at least partly particle weapons. We now they have frequencies, because they change those frequencies to overcome the borg adaptation.
    For gods sake.

And- for gods sake - read posts before commenting on them.
    edited May 2014
    Which is what I said - for gods sake - twice now.
    But I don't need to read a book on quantum physics to discuss science fiction physics

Well, it's even easier in Trek.
    In real life, all the stuff is theory.
    In Trek, it's reality. Matter does have a frequency, it's based on particle-wave duality in essence.
    Particle weapons are working on the same principles. To think the Borg can't adapt to kinetic energy because of some scientific necessity is borderline stupid. If you break it down enough, there is no difference between matter and a phaser beam. You can change matters frequency too, if you are advanced enough.
    Ever wondered what all that "phase" tech in Trek is about?
    In the best case, it's an author oversight. Or Borg can adapt and it just wasn't shown. They are shot by "energy weapons" all the time before they adapt.

Is it so hard to grasp that? Obviously it is. Klingon science I guess. :rolleyes:
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Regardless of how space magic is supposed to work, the Borg could just strap on body armor.

I imagine the reason they don't in First Contact is because they can throw around human goldshirts like ragdolls. Only Data and Worf are a problem in a fight, and Worf has to be armed.

If people attacking them in melee is a problem, they'll just adapt around it . . . like, say, the infected drones using grav shift are doing. When the enemy comes at you with swords, lock them in place and make them fall back on those energy weapons.
    edited May 2014
    The thing is that we haven't seen any indication that the Borg's shields adapt to primitive kinetic energy attacks (i.e. projectiles such as bullets, arrows,spears, etc.). Which makes sense, considering that their primary targets for assimilation are advanced space faring races. Most of whom have moved on to directed energy weapons.

If the Borg did run into the oddballs out there still using firearms (or EM weapons) of some sort, their adaptation would probably center around their armor, nanotechnology (accelerated healing and combat trama-related first aid), and new redundancies in newer generations of adapted drones.

So, while projectile weapons would probably be more effective, it would be a constant race to stay one step ahead of the Collective (assuming you get constantly lucky, like the Federation did, when the Borg take notice of your culture).

With the TR-116, the transporter mechanism was an unauthorized modification. Basically, an assassin's gimmick that would not be needed in a mass produced variant.

As for the last part, I didn't say anything about taking a holo-gun from the holodeck, which would probably be impossible. I was referring to a real Thompson SMG.

I agree, we have no indication that the Borg against projectile attack (though I would watch a TV series arc about the Borg invading a species with an Industrial Revolution tech level). But I think its safe to assume that they had to encounter some species at that tech level and that they didn't pass over a planet for assimilation simply because they "weren't advanced enough".

Sorry about the holo-deck gun assumption. I don't think there are replicators in the Holodeck either to replicate a real Thompson plus that drum magazine. Also, I'm pretty sure the Thompson Picard used is a holographic version because he had to change "Dixon Hill" novels when he found out he was in the wrong story arc. He then ran up to a bunch of "Mafia mook" NPCs with the knowledge that one of them is armed and grabbed the Thompson out of a violin case. Which, I think I'm safe to assume would be holographic.

We don't see Picard carrying around a Thompson afterwards either, so I don't think he stopped and replicated one with ammunition after the holodeck fight.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This may come as a bit of a shock to you, but matter can very well have a frequency. Delve a bit into quantum physics and you'll see.

For starters.

Quantum physics doesn't really apply on the macroscale, no matter what Star Trek thinks. At the scale that is actually relevant, you're dealing with Newtonian/Einsteinian physics.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited May 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Quantum physics doesn't really apply on the macroscale, no matter what Star Trek thinks. At the scale that is actually relevant, you're dealing with Newtonian/Einsteinian physics.

Which Trek also got covered.
    Either that, or every force field holding someone in a Brig would be obsolete.
    And we are talking about Trek...

Also, quantum physics is the basis everything else stems from. It's like saying your DNA has no effect on your body, because there, physiology applies.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Which Trek also got covered.
    Either that, or every force field holding someone in a Brig would be obsolete.
    They are obsolete. A friggin' locked door doesn't fail when the power gets knocked out.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you're talking about. The evidence points to a different kind of forcefield in use there and in a nav deflector, and the kind that combat shields seem to use.
    Also, quantum physics is the basis everything else stems from. It's like saying your DNA has no effect on your body, because there, physiology applies.
    Oh, come off it, you know what I mean. Quantum effects disappear when you increase scale to a dozen or so atoms and up. Matter stops behaving like a probability and starts behaving like a solid object.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited May 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    They are obsolete. A friggin' locked door doesn't fail when the power gets knocked out.

Haha, well yeah, that's true. :D
    EDIT: Oh, I see what you're talking about. The evidence points to a different kind of forcefield in use there and in a nav deflector, and the kind that combat shields seem to use.

Well I am talking about principles here. The technology to stop kinetic force via forcefields does exist.
    I would just wish the authors would have directly stated that this tech can't be applied to - say - personal shielding.
    But as it stands, we are left with yet another inconsistent technology and many questions.
    Oh, come off it, you know what I mean. Quantum effects disappear when you increase scale to a dozen or so atoms and up. Matter stops behaving like a probability and starts behaving like a solid object.

Yes.
    But look at what Trek does with quantum physics. Phasing technology, particle weapons and force fields of all kind themselves... even a simple laser is a quantum mechanical design.
    It's about principle. People say matter is matter, and energy is energy, and they are totally different, and thus matter can penetrate magical shields energy can't penetrate.
    I challenge that on the basis that in real life theory, and in Trek reality, matter can be trated like every other particle-wave dual phenomen.

On a sidenote: If I tend to sound a bit assholish in my last posts, I want to apologize. It wasn't intended. Reading them again showed me that I indeed may have come over harsh and a bit smartass...y? Is that even a word?
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    We are actually getting the voyager Compression Phaser Rifles in delta rising.
    I agree 120% with updating the weapons from the show. I would also like to see the Bajoran phasers to have lighter yellow beams and make the proper sounds.

I would really love to see a special "LEGACY PACK" that is sold via c-store, to support the game. This pack would consist of the following:

*legacy pack for die hard fans of star trek history*--
    - LATE 23rd CENTURY STARSHIP INTERIOR PACK, (looks like the enterprise and excelsior bridges and hallways/quarters from star trek undiscovered country)

- CASUAL DUTY UNIFORMS CIRCA LATE 23rd CENTURY PACK, (kirks admiral tunic from the search for Spock, Scotty's engineers vest as seen in the next generation episode "relics" where they find Scotty on the dyson sphere. Engineers radiation suit. Admirals gold lining on the big maroon wrath of khan tunic & security uniforms with helmets as seen in the undiscovered country.

- TOS FLIP OPEN COMMUNICATOR EMOTE (when wearing tos or twok uniforms this action happens when beaming up to the ship.

- TOS TRANSPORTER EFFECT (this is a good transport that happens for legacy pack owners. It could activate only if you are wearing tos uniforms. this is not such an important request but if it wasn't too difficult it'd be fun.)

- LEGACY WEAPONS PACK, (TWOK phasers with pulsing beams and secondary beam is a series of small beams which set the target on fire. This secondary setting matches the scene when Kirk melts the slug that comes out of chekovs ear. Assault phaser pistol from the undiscovered country with bright blue beams and knock back effect. Secondary setting stuns. Phaser type 1 and 2 from the first season of TNG, accurate dolphin phaser from voyager, and phaser rifle from TNG. Enterprise phase pistols with more reddish orange beams and secondary effect is stun. Malcolm Reed's spacial charges, these act as mines that can possibly be set up on walls in passage ways *these spacial charges could also be stuck to an enemy like how archer blew up the reptilian on the xindi weapon.*)

- LATE 23rd CENTURY STARSHIP PHASERS. (the same pulsing/oscillating phasers you see in the wrath of khan, these phaser banks would only go on excelsior class, ambassador class, stargazers and constitution starships. They'd level up with your captain.)

- LATE 23rd CENTURY SHUTTLE CRAFT, (the same shuttle seen in star trek 5 the final frontier. This shuttle is a little longer in length and has the constitution refit style warp nacelles. This shuttle would have those pulsing phaser beams from twok, and a special console called "emergency plan B", which increases the shuttles maneuverability so much that all enemy fire misses the shuttle as well as the shuttle speed and turn rate greatly accelerate and the impulse engines glow bright blue. Sulu pulled this maneuver to crash in to the shuttle bay in star trek 5 the final frontier.)

This legacy pack really makes sense to me and it's the only thing I've asked for. It'll allow players to truly emerse themselves in to their own personal story line. This legacy pack would also open up new frontiers in the foundry because foundry producers can make 23rd century style missions as well as time travel style missions for players.
    The other thing the legacy pack would bring is a balance to all the new content being created. Giving us players authentic star trek memorabilia will add a more star trek feel to this game as we forge ahead with new and unusual content.

-
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    We are actually getting the voyager Compression Phaser Rifles in delta rising.(...)

-

Do we? Can you state a source? Or is it part of the 200 bucks *ahem* bundle? :D

If it's hidden behind a paywall then it'll probably be another blue sub-par item because Cryptic needs to weasel out P2W accusations XD
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • ledgend1221ledgend1221 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Do we? Can you state a source? Or is it part of the 200 bucks *ahem* bundle? :D

If it's hidden behind a paywall then it'll probably be another blue sub-par item because Cryptic needs to weasel out P2W accusations XD

It's the Delta rep ground weapon. Can call in Orbital strikes too.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'd just like weapons AND ships from the films and series that could be upgraded. I want a TAC, ENG AND SCI Voyager...one for whichever speciality.
    edited October 2014
    It's the Delta rep ground weapon. Can call in Orbital strikes too.

Are there screenshots yet? Bcause back when it was announced the picture of the compression rifle showed a generic beam rifle like the bio-molecular weapons sans the green pipes...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • sadorsador Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't know precisely what everyone is on about, but I love my Federation Type 2 Phaser MK XIV. It's glorious, the dps is really high, on the order of 185 or something like that and every target vaporizes in that spiffy blue flash. It will be orange before I am done with it. :D
    edited May 2015
    sador wrote: »
    I don't know precisely what everyone is on about, but I love my Federation Type 2 Phaser MK XIV. It's glorious, the dps is really high, on the order of 185 or something like that and every target vaporizes in that spiffy blue flash. It will be orange before I am done with it. :D

"Everyone is on about" that this is a TOS weapon. But you have neither the TNG version of the Type I, Type II or Type III and a lot of Klingon weapons are missing etc. it's not that there aren't good canon weapons in the game.

EDIT: Ooops, I think I confused two similiar threads. Still, this is my point in the whole affair :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sador wrote: »

This thread is from last year, before there was Mk XIV anything. :rolleyes: