test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upgrades for "real weapons" (from the shows)?

Comments

• altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    lowy1 wrote: »
    Infact Picard used a Tommy Gun on the Borg. 500 YO weapons laying waste to the "most feared" race in the galaxy.

I just want to point out that Picard was using a holographic Tommy Gun on a holodeck. Meaning he was shooting bullets made from forcefield energy bursts rendered in a virtual environment with the safety feature off.

In short, Picard shot them with a phaser rifle that looks like a Tommy Gun from a Dixon Hill novel he ran on a Holodeck to confuse the Borg. I'm sure had Picard tried that trick again we would see the Borg act like the Terminator shrugging off "bullets".
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    All well and good, but it doesn't change the simple fact that TOS did get cancelled just like ENT. Except ENT got much farther along before the studio gave up on it.

I also suspect it's less true that "ENT killed it" than that after Star Trek: [subtitle] being on nonstop for 18 years, with multiple series on at once most of that time, simple burnout killed it. (TNG went on-air in 1987, and there was at least one Star Trek series on from then until 2005 when ENT got the axe.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_%26_Order_%28franchise%29

Still plugging along...

If they were to do a Law & Order: Nemesis, then we might end up with a courtroom full of lensflare in an attempt to save the IP...
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I really don't want to further this discussion (see. where holy wars come from) but I will say that's completely and utterly wrong (it should be pointed out that my tone here is :P, not :mad: or :rolleyes:). How can I say that so definitely? Because I can watch those series all together now (go netflix) and compare them directly. If you want to see where ST when wrong, where it died, look no further than the entire breadth of TNG, VOY, and DS9. It was a gradual thing but a definite format, a style, developed which simply got boring after a while. ENT tried to reinvigorate the franchise but by that point it was too late. UPN had the oomph to push it off for their very silly programming plans (see what became of UPN) because even at a conceptual level ST was played out. Too much baggage, too little real development in the modes of story telling, points of view, or the concepts involved. There's only so much you can do to buck a sociological trend more than two decades in the making.

Don't blame the last one out. Chances are the preceeding mob created the mess, and with that in mind I'm not too keen on making sure that every bit of memorabilia from that time is appropriate to have center stage in STO. It has its own story to tell, its own icons to make (in a very small way). Reverence should be paid to the founding elements, but we should make sure the focus is on the new content.

and im just going to leave it at this 7 years 7 years 7 years that dont count as a success? a show lucky if it makes it one season
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • typoon6typoon6 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to talk about this but I have one question. How often do everyone use the ship self destruct feature on STO? For me almost never. I think they should have a update that makes us use the auto destruct more often just like in Star Trek. For example beef up the boarding parties so that they are aggressive that they only disable ship systems for a brief period of time. Have a tactical bridge officer with the teleport ability to beam over assault teams to take over the ship for a brief period of time. Once the ship is captured the enemy ship will begin fireing on their allies. If they had this feature for all races in Star Trek Online I am sure we would then use the auto destruct more often. That is what it is used for anyway. Auto destruct is suppose to be use for to prevent the star ship from being taken by an enemy.
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I just want to point out that Picard was using a holographic Tommy Gun on a holodeck. Meaning he was shooting bullets made from forcefield energy bursts rendered in a virtual environment with the safety feature off.

In short, Picard shot them with a phaser rifle that looks like a Tommy Gun from a Dixon Hill novel he ran on a Holodeck to confuse the Borg. I'm sure had Picard tried that trick again we would see the Borg act like the Terminator shrugging off "bullets".

I'd like to see them shrug off an High Explosive Round from a 203 or slug from a 12 gauge. The M2 would be ideal if you didn't have to set head space and timing every time you swap the barrel.
    HzLLhLB.gif

edited May 2014
    my bad thought they said ramming speed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Also a different, more universally accessible genre. List times when there were no science fiction oriented series on, then compare and contrast to the times when there were no crime/police oriented shows. ;)
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Unless, of course, he used a real Thompson.

But then again (hypothetically speaking), even FMJ .45 ACP rounds with non-lead cores might not defeat a drone's outer "shell". Even with a heavy bullet, and Thompson's longer barrel, allowing for greater penetration, it's still a long gun firing a low velocity handgun round. You would have to target the drone's more vulnerable points.

If using a firearm to take on drones, you would be better off with an old fashioned "battle rifle", in a full-powered cartridge. With, ironically, Starfleet's TR-116 was closest to, since it was a .30 caliber weapon designed for "heavy" work.
    edited May 2014
    Also a different, more universally accessible genre. List times when there were no science fiction oriented series on, then compare and contrast to the times when there were no crime/police oriented shows. ;)

No, I'm going to stick to my guns that Nemesis tried to kill Trek like nothing before! :P

Besides, it's depressing to think about all the sci-fi shows that have been cancelled as the airwaves have filled with more and more reality tv...
    edited May 2014
    Besides, it's depressing to think about all the sci-fi shows that have been cancelled as the airwaves have filled with more and more reality tv...

i have to agree :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    (...)

STO's for the Star Trek fan...not the TOS fan, not the DS9 fan, not the VOY fan, not the ENT fan - for all the fans - the Star Trek fans.

That's right. That's why EVERYTHING we see on the show should be available in the game, as opposed to NOTHING.

See, I would agree with you if Cryptic had have the "balls" to set their game in a specific timeframe, even if it was "teh future!". But they didn't, since it would cut profits. As of today, STO works without rhyme or reason. We just play the game and we use all assets ever seen on screen, be it ENT, TOS or TNG or Cryptic's creations I don't care about with very little exceptions. And you said it yourself, the game is for Star Trek fans - so I see no reason to NOT include the designs we know from the show, especially since the stock models are obviously the kind of mock-up the game has, in my opinion, evolved beyond. Just like old ship designs and old uniforms, the old ground weapons ("old" referring to in-game terms, not chronologically in-universe) should recieve a major overhaul, ideally replacing them with more plausible and closer-to-canon designs - there's more wrong than just the looks, the very dimensions of weapons make no sense, everything is at least scaled 10% too big.

I personally would have liked the game even better if it was set in one specific period. I would commit cirmes for a consistent TOS online game. But we don't have this. We have a casual arcde theme park-ish game with a Star Trek theme. There is no reason to not include canon designs.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited May 2014
    lowy1 wrote: »
    I'd like to see them shrug off an High Explosive Round from a 203 or slug from a 12 gauge. The M2 would be ideal if you didn't have to set head space and timing every time you swap the barrel.

I would try doing the calculations for kinetic energy impact of various handheld to mounted projectile weapon versus the energy output of a Borg drone forcefield's against a physical force, but I think that would have to be for another thread.

(You do have me giggling to myself at the image of a Browning heavy machine gun firing full auto into a swarm of drones, though)
    Unless, of course, he used a real Thompson.

But then again (hypothetically speaking), even FMJ .45 ACP rounds with non-lead cores might not defeat a drone's outer "shell". Even with a heavy bullet, and Thompson's longer barrel, allowing for greater penetration, it's still a long gun firing a low velocity handgun round. You would have to target the drone's more vulnerable points.

If using a firearm to take on drones, you would be better off with an old fashioned "battle rifle", in a full-powered cartridge. With, ironically, Starfleet's TR-116 was closest to, since it was a .30 caliber weapon designed for "heavy" work.

Shields, gentlemen. Borg adapt with their shields. Yes, their body armor still obey the laws of physics (not counting whatever Borg nanites can do) but the Borg's defense is with their adaptive shielding.

I don't think even with the micro-transporter mod for the TR-116 that it could beam a bullet around shields.

Edit 1: Also, I don't think Federation holodecks would allow you to replicate firearms. Otherwise, you can walk into any holodeck, load up the MATRIX movie (or Star Trek equivalent) and transform that holodeck into an armory. Note how Picard didn't carry the Tommy Gun out of the holodeck; it probably was holographic and had to stay in the holodeck where the emitters are.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    That's right. That's why EVERYTHING we see on the show should be available in the game, as opposed to NOTHING.

See, I would agree with you if Cryptic had have the "balls" to set their game in a specific timeframe, even if it was "teh future!". But they didn't, since it would cut profits. As of today, STO works without rhyme or reason. We just play the game and we use all assets ever seen on screen, be it ENT, TOS or TNG or Cryptic's creations I don't care about with very little exceptions. And you said it yourself, the game is for Star Trek fans - so I see no reason to NOT include the designs we know from the show, especially since the stock models are obviously the kind of mock-up the game has, in my opinion, evolved beyond. Just like old ship designs and old uniforms, the old ground weapons ("old" referring to in-game terms, not chronologically in-universe) should recieve a major overhaul, ideally replacing them with more plausible and closer-to-canon designs - there's more wrong than just the looks, the very dimensions of weapons make no sense, everything is at least scaled 10% too big.

This.
    I personally would have liked the game even better if it was set in one specific period. I would commit cirmes for a consistent TOS online game. But we don't have this. We have a casual arcde theme park-ish game with a Star Trek theme. There is no reason to not include canon designs.

Well I would have preferred the tng era. Picking up where we left.

On topic:
    For weapons, I always hoped they would make them visually customizable to some degree. It's not only about the canon weapons, it's also that a lot of low tier weapons just look better then their high tier equivalents.

There are multiple ways to achieve that, but my personal favorite was always to have pistols,rifles and assault weapons as part of the costume while maintaining to use the original weapon visuals via "enable/disable visuals" function.
    Additional costume pieces could be unlocked then, for example the Defiant set could unlock the bajoran pistol and rifle visuals, rep projects could onlock the rep weapon visuals (like they do with the armor) ect ect.

That would add a lot if nice new options.
    For example: I always wanted to have visibly holstered pistols,even if I do not have any equipped. Because even when carrying 2 heavy assault weapons rp wise they would always have a pistol with them just in case.

Or dual pistols, why would we always use 2 identical ones? Would be cool to have 2 differently looking ones.

I could go on about that, bottom line something like that would be awesome.
    edited May 2014
    On topic:
    For weapons, I always hoped they would make them visually customizable to some degree. It's not only about the canon weapons, it's also that a lot of low tier weapons just look better then their high tier equivalents.

Or dual pistols, why would we always use 2 identical ones? Would be cool to have 2 differently looking ones.

I could go on about that, bottom line something like that would be awesome.

I too, would like it if we can skin our weapons the way we want them to look (currently, my "Eternal Miranda" crew of credits are only using the phaser rifles you see in the character select screen).

How would you do the different looking dual pistols though? I have the feeling that currently it's the left-hand weapon is just a mirror of the right hand weapon? If someone can find an instance in STO where a character is holding a different object in each hand, I'll like to be proven wrong.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would pay for an authentic weapon bundle pack. I would love to see all the weapons from the various races have a Mk XII Very Rare (Purple) version on the CStore.

For once would love to see all my Bajoran crewmen have Bajoran weapons, or my Cardy (Alien toons) equipped with compression rifles.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    edited May 2014
    stark2k wrote: »
    I would pay for an authentic weapon bundle pack. I would love to see all the weapons from the various races have a Mk XII Very Rare (Purple) version on the CStore.

For once would love to see all my Bajoran crewmen have Bajoran weapons, or my Cardy (Alien toons) equipped with compression rifles.

As much as I agree that I would love to have an authentic weapon bundle pack, I doubt they will be Mark XII Very Rare. They would most likely be scalable weapons like the Federation Type 3 Phaser http://sto.gamepedia.com/Federation_Type_3_Phaser_Rifle

Why? Cryptic need to promote its in-house designs. While they can (and should!) put in all of the weapons from the shows, they would need to give their own original designs some sort of edge so that people would get them. So, having them as the cream of the crop would be a nice compromise.

But who knows? Maybe the crafting revamp we will most likely be getting can change all of that.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I wonder why Cryptic hates pistols.

Exactly -- I wonder that same thing myself. When the best pistol in the game is the Jem'Hadar MXII Lobi upgrade, something is wrong.
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think I'd like to see this issue addressed via a revamped crafting system.

The ability to mod ones weapons could be based on holding an example of the weapon you want to mod.

So, if someone has the DS9 pack, they could create VR versions of the weapons with mods of their choice.
    edited May 2014
    If Cryptic were more consistent, one couldn't make the argument for...with Cryptic's inconsistency, it's difficult to maintain the argument against.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would try doing the calculations for kinetic energy impact of various handheld to mounted projectile weapon versus the energy output of a Borg drone forcefield's against a physical force, but I think that would have to be for another thread.
    Not this again. Data killing drones with his bare hands. Kinetic energy. And yes, a redshirt tried that too and failed miserably, but Data is A) much stronger than a human, B) invulnerable to assimilation, and C) is a main character. :D

Worf killing drones with a bat'leth. Kinetic energy.

Picard with the holographic tommygun. Kinetic energy, because how else is the hologram supposed to interact with matter?

Undine tearing apart drones with their claws. Kinetic energy.

The pattern, given by the live-action canon, strongly indicates that Borg drone shields are utterly useless against kinetic energy weapons.
    (You do have me giggling to myself at the image of a Browning heavy machine gun firing full auto into a swarm of drones, though)
    And mowing them down like wheat. Beautiful mental image.
    Shields, gentlemen. Borg adapt with their shields. Yes, their body armor still obey the laws of physics (not counting whatever Borg nanites can do) but the Borg's defense is with their adaptive shielding.
    Every time the mechanism for adaptation is mentioned the phrasing used has something to do with frequencies. This may come as a bit of a shock to you, but matter doesn't have a frequency.

Plus there's the fact that if they could adapt to kinetic energy weapons, they should've done so a long time ago because the odds that they never tried to assimilate a species that uses firearms, mass drivers, and/or edged and blunt weapons are frankly astronomical.
    I don't think even with the micro-transporter mod for the TR-116 that it could beam a bullet around shields.
    Wouldn't have to. As demonstrated in "Field of Fire", transporters follow the "speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out" rule. The bullet just has to go near the target and let its retained kinetic energy do the rest.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited May 2014
    I too, would like it if we can skin our weapons the way we want them to look (currently, my "Eternal Miranda" crew of credits are only using the phaser rifles you see in the character select screen).

How would you do the different looking dual pistols though? I have the feeling that currently it's the left-hand weapon is just a mirror of the right hand weapon? If someone can find an instance in STO where a character is holding a different object in each hand, I'll like to be proven wrong.

They are the same because of a lazy copy & paste.
    I see no reason why should write an overcomicated script to mirror the pistols (while performing completely different actions with both hands...) instead of just copying the item.
    And I see no reason to assume why having different items in both hands should be impossible in this game while it is possible in... Every other mmo including 2 based on the same engine.
    stark2k wrote: »

Well, right, they don't see purple mark xii in cstore. Doubt they evel will. We are supposed to work for those. (Or gamble)

But customizable weapons would would solve that issue.
    edited May 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Not this again. Data killing drones with his bare hands. Kinetic energy. And yes, a redshirt tried that too and failed miserably, but Data is A) much stronger than a human, B) invulnerable to assimilation, and C) is a main character. :D

Worf killing drones with a bat'leth. Kinetic energy.

Picard with the holographic tommygun. Kinetic energy, because how else is the hologram supposed to interact with matter?

Undine tearing apart drones with their claws. Kinetic energy.

The pattern, given by the live-action canon, strongly indicates that Borg drone shields are utterly useless against kinetic energy weapons.

And mowing them down like wheat. Beautiful mental image.

Every time the mechanism for adaptation is mentioned the phrasing used has something to do with frequencies. This may come as a bit of a shock to you, but matter doesn't have a frequency.

Plus there's the fact that if they could adapt to kinetic energy weapons, they should've done so a long time ago because the odds that they never tried to assimilate a species that uses firearms, mass drivers, and/or edged and blunt weapons are frankly astronomical.

Wouldn't have to. As demonstrated in "Field of Fire", transporters follow the "speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out" rule. The bullet just has to go near the target and let its retained kinetic energy do the rest.

Hmmm. I have to concede to you that those are very good points. I was envisioning Borg shields reacting much like the navigational deflectors on starships, in which objects above a certain speed limit would trigger the navigational deflectors so that it impacts off a energy shield rather than hit the hull (which can be devastating if a ship is moving at impulse power and runs into a meterorite the size of a soda can).

So in melee attacks, whereas the opponent is definitely moving below the speed of projectile fire arms (I'm guessing 800 fps?) the shields don't trigger. Otherwise, a Borg drone will have to raise and lower its shields every time it interacts with a physical object.

So Data killing a Borg drone with his hands, a Bat'leth strike by Worf, and an Undine claw attack are almost moving beneath the speed threshold to trigger the shielding. The holographic Tommy gun was probably shooting energy bursts (force fields) in a frequency that the Borg drones at that time were not adapted to (same reason why the regular phaser rifles only had 12 shots before they were no good earlier in First Contact).

As for the mechanism for adaptation... you can adapt to the "frequency" of matter per se by the same principal that tractor beams work. I mean, the ENT-D caught the Stargazer during that one episode when it did the Picard Maneuver.

However, you are correct that the probability of the Borg encountering species with firearms, mass drivers, etc are pretty high. Which they *SHOULD* have adapted to...

In conclusion, I'm just going to quote Kronk here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UHoOfxcOv0E

"Well, you got me. By all accounts, it doesn't make sense."
    (UFP) Ragnar
    edited May 2014

However, you are correct that the probability of the Borg encountering species with firearms, mass drivers, etc are pretty high. Which they *SHOULD* have adapted to...

Not only that. There are probably a million ways a Borg drone can die due kinetic energy that do not involve weapons or any "attack". Falling rocks. Falling down somewhere. Collision with.. Something. Ect ect ect.
    If the Borg could protect themselves against kinetic they would have done that a long long time ago.
    edited May 2014
    Not only that. There are probably a million ways a Borg drone can die due kinetic energy that do not involve weapons or any "attack". Falling rocks. Falling down somewhere. Collision with.. Something. Ect ect ect.
    If the Borg could protect themselves against kinetic they would have done that a long long time ago.

Still somewhat falls under my "speed threshold" theory. Lethal weapon fire is a bit faster than falling boulders or getting rammed by a car. Though, honestly, if you're throwing a rock at a Borg drone on a starship... you got an interesting ship.

Then again, one of the most annoying thing about Borg drones is their "creation" time. Borg drones down? Infect local biological entities. Mass of Borg drones dead by falling lumber triggered by the Ewoks on Endor? INFECT EWOKS.

Oh jeez, I'm now imagining a crossover with Ework Borg Drones. 'scuse me, I... need to step outside.
    (UFP) Ragnar
    edited May 2014
    Still somewhat falls under my "speed threshold" theory. Lethal weapon fire is a bit faster than falling boulders or getting rammed by a car. Though, honestly, if you're throwing a rock at a Borg drone on a starship... you got an interesting ship.

Then again, one of the most annoying thing about Borg drones is their "creation" time. Borg drones down? Infect local biological entities. Mass of Borg drones dead by falling lumber triggered by the Ewoks on Endor? INFECT EWOKS.

Oh jeez, I'm now imagining a crossover with Ework Borg Drones. 'scuse me, I... need to step outside.

Even borg drones do leave ships to assimilate planets.
    Also intend of a rock it can be a debris part of the damaged ship it is on.
    IMO the speed threshold doesn't make much sense. Beside the fact that this would have stoped Picards holographic bullets (Although.... I'm still convinced that this was energy after all, just none they had adapted to...) to interact with stuff that threshold could (and therefore, for the Borg as efficient beings: WOULD) be much lower so that a bath'leth/Mek'leth slash would definitely not hit.
    edited May 2014
    Even borg drones do leave ships to assimilate planets.
    Also intend of a rock it can be a debris part of the damaged ship it is on.
    IMO the speed threshold doesn't make much sense. Beside the fact that this would have stoped Picards holographic bullets (Although.... I'm still convinced that this was energy after all, just none they had adapted to...) to interact with stuff that threshold could (and therefore, for the Borg as efficient beings: WOULD) be much lower so that a bath'leth/Mek'leth slash would definitely not hit.

(I'm back. Boy, was it nice outside.)

I concur. The speed threshold theory is simply the best idea I have to explain why melee attacks don't trigger the shield effect. It's not the best explanation but one that makes me comfortable with the hierarchy of energy weapons being better than projectile weapons in Star Trek.

Well, other than Rule of Cool.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    starswordc wrote: »

This may come as a bit of a shock to you, but matter can very well have a frequency. Delve a bit into quantum physics and you'll see.

For starters.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited May 2014
    (I'm back. Boy, was it nice outside.)

I concur. The speed threshold theory is simply the best idea I have to explain why melee attacks don't trigger the shield effect. It's not the best explanation but one that makes me comfortable with the hierarchy of energy weapons being better than projectile weapons in Star Trek.

Well, other than Rule of Cool.

I think the best explanation is it simply doesn't have any effect on kinetics. Starsword is right in that regard: bullets ( or rocks or cars or pieces of debris) do not have a frequency to adapt to in the way an energy weapon has.
    Energy weapons just work entirely different...
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think the best explanation is it simply doesn't have any effect on kinetics. Starsword is right in that regard: bullets ( or rocks or cars or pieces of debris) do not have a frequency to adapt to in the way an energy weapon has.
    Energy weapons just work entirely different...

Actually, they don't.
    Particle weapons follow particle physics, just like matter follows particle physics.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    STO's for the Star Trek fan...not the TOS fan, not the DS9 fan, not the VOY fan, not the ENT fan - for all the fans - the Star Trek fans.

That would be a good point, if Cryptic's designs looked like a natural evolution of Star Trek aesthetics.

Too many guns in-game right now threw out the Star Trek look, and are just generic sci-fi guns. Because of this, I would have no problem seeing older designs creep back into use.