Options

D'Tan's actions during the new FE. IE here be spoilers

124»

Comments

• Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    icerose20 wrote: »
    Well, the way the universe will work is that there will be a third Dyson sphere found. Then, it will be found out that the third Dyson sphere is inhabited with intelligent amphibious sharks with laser. The federation happily lets the Klingon Empire takes the third Dyson sphere as every human remembers watching Jaws. They want no part of technologically advanced sharks any where near them. Then it is found out that the Jenolan Sphere is invaded by a Caniod species from the M81, again precluding the Federation from taking that sphere as we all know Cats and Dogs living together means the end of times. So the Federation gets Solane with it Jurassic Park, Klingons get to see Jaws first hand, and the Romulans get all those wonderful smells of Canines.

Ok, maybe not.
    We ran out of sharks. We use mutated sea bass instead.
    I agree. And D'Tan needs to be reminded of these little facts, before the Republic gets it's overreaching hand bitten. The Jouret gateway is officially in Federation territory. The Jenolan Sphere is Federation "soil", regardless of where it's located. And both are now overseen by a tripartite alliance of the major Alpha and Beta Quadrant powers, not the Republic alone. "Leading the charge" doesn't equate "ownership".
    It was my understanding the Jouret system was given to D'Tan.
    As for the sphere, technically they belong to the Iconians/solanae. The alliance is merely invading it, like the voth and Undines. So technically speaking, the victor gets the spoils.

As for D'Tan taking a risk spying on the other factions and how dumb it is, recent news tell us our own governments do that every day. The US government spied on several european allies. And to be honest, it was nothing new, we all know the various powers of this world are constantly doing a spy game between each others. Knowledge is power, and you don't want to be left behind. And we are not paranoid Romulan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited May 2014
    Like his actions or not yall do have to admit its the first time we see D'Tan acting remotely like a Romulan not a federation TRIBBLE kissing Carebear
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Romulans love to overreach. Especially when they know their new allies can't afford to let the Voth and Undine control the Spheres.

D'Tan is trying to do what any sensible Romulan would do: increase the power and prestige of his office and nation. I imagine the concept is similar to "saving face' in some Earth cultures. He's just doing it with diplomacy and scruples instead of warbirds and intrigue.

That's a huge improvement. I'm sure the Federation approves of it, in principle if not in practice (because it's preventing THEM from walking away with everything). It's just that most of us players are not trained diplomats, but decadent westerners who wouldn't be able to handle cross-cultural communication if our lives depended on it.

Which is fine and good. In fact, I've been a big admirer of D'Tan's mix of pragmatism and idealism.

However, I get the feeling that the Republic's successes have made them a bit cocky. They are moving a bit too fast on the interstellar political stage, making grand claims like that to the big kids on the block. "Saving face" in such a manner, at the wrong time, can backfire on you. The Republic is in a good position, politically and diplomatically. But it doesn't mean they have the Empire and Federation by the nuts.

@erei1

It was my understanding the Jouret system was given to D'Tan.

I haven't seen any indication of that. Nor have I read anything in the game lore stating the UFP ceded the Jouret system to the Republic. Unless I'm wrong and missed something, it's still Federation territory.

Many who play the game are under the impression that Tau Dewa=Romulan Republic. Truth is, all three local powers have territory in that sector block.

As for the sphere, technically they belong to the Iconians/solanae. The alliance is merely invading it, like the voth and Undines. So technically speaking, the victor gets the spoils.

In the case of the Solanae Dyson Sphere, I'm in full agreement.

But it doesn't erase the fact that the Jenolan Sphere is technically Federation property/territory. And the Solanae gateway is in Federation space.

That being said, it makes sense to have a "neutral" third party to take point, oversee operations, facilitate technology sharing, and call the shots. It's a good way to maintain the rather shaky alliance against the Voth and Undine. I'm all for it, even it means surrendering unilateral control of those assets.

As for D'Tan taking a risk spying on the other factions and how dumb it is, recent news tell us our own governments do that every day. The US government spied on several european allies. And to be honest, it was nothing new, we all know the various powers of this world are constantly doing a spy game between each others. Knowledge is power, and you don't want to be left behind. And we are not paranoid Romulan.

I have no issue with the allied powers keeping on top of things, via information gathering by their intelligence agencies. A certain amount of self-interest is logical. Ignoring that nearly led to the downfall of the Federation in the 24th Century. I would expect the Empire and Republic to think the same.

However, if I were a Starfleet intelligence officer, I would have problem with hostile powers poking around. Even if it was something as simple as knowing when Quinn took a dump, or all of the titles in the President's stash of Gorn TRIBBLE. :P

@kodachikuno:

Like his actions or not yall do have to admit its the first time we see D'Tan acting remotely like a Romulan not a federation TRIBBLE kissing Carebear

Cultivating "friends" isn't TRIBBLE kissing. It's the smart thing to do.

The leadership of the Romulan Star Empire "acted like a Romulan". And it cost them their homeworlds, much territory, and the lives of billions. D'Tan isn't that stupid.
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    D'Tan is a foolish old man with foolish ideals. Foolish... and dangerous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    prierin wrote: »

D'Tan's "foolish ideals" are the ideals which define what it means to be Rihan Havran in the first place. D'Tan's "foolish ideals" are the central ideals of the Rihannsu and Havrannsu, the ideals which motivated our ancestors to leave Vulcan and strike out in quest for a home where they could be true to themselves and not submit to an externally imposed tyranny of a false orthodoxy over their hearts and minds.

Dangerous? Yes, and so am I, more dangerous than any person you are likely to ever meet -- not intrinsically, but because of the power of those same ideals, which I am sworn to defend, and the appeal of those ideals to the Havrannsu and the Rihannsu. Strike me down and more will come, and more, and more. Tyranny must surely tremble at these ideals, or it is blind to its own weakness to these ideals. Ahr'lleiset na mnhei'sahe hachaen lamne'elh s'Rihan. The central mnhei'sahe (ruling passion) of the collective Romulan psyche is freedom. For freedom we left our home and risked wandering in what might have proven to be a fruitless quest. For freedom we dared to stand up to superior numbers and technology, and we bested them. Their numbers dwindled, and ours swelled. Let tyranny hear its death knell; join in the chorus which hails our legacy: Freedom!
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I haven't seen any indication of that. Nor have I read anything in the game lore stating the UFP ceded the Jouret system to the Republic. Unless I'm wrong and missed something, it's still Federation territory.

Many who play the game are under the impression that Tau Dewa=Romulan Republic. Truth is, all three local powers have territory in that sector block.

That's a tricky one to guess without being established by the writers either in canon or in STO. I'm not talking about Jouret alone, but in general.
    I hope it's evident to everyone that the borders we see on the Star Trek map are not actually borders in the conventional sense. They way I look at them, they represent a certain factions domain, but that doesn't necessarily mean they represent ownership on everything within. For certain factions those borders may in fact represent ownership, but it's not so black/white in the entire galaxy.
    For example, the native Orion homeworld as well as Nausicaa are well within the Federation borders on the Star Trek charts. And if you happen to be interested in reading the planets' descriptions in STO (those pop-ups as you approach them), you'll notice that many systems that fall within Federation borders are in fact independent and not part of the Federation.

That said, I don't know how could Jouret possibly fall under Republic ownership, given that the faction was conceived less then a year ago (in STO timeframe). Maybe it would be understandable if it was a Romulan (RSE) colony system that decided to join the Republic, but as you said - we have no evidence mentioning the ownership of Jouret.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    peregryperegry Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    prierin wrote: »

Actually, for Romulans, D'tan is quite young.

D'tan first appeared in Star Trek as a boy of about 13 to 15 years old in 2368 (TNG: "Unification"). This places him as between 55 and 57 years old in STO.

Romulans, as a Vulcan offshoot race, are not genetically drifted enough so to be considered a different species. (Human, Andorian, and Vulcan are all separate species. Caucasian, Aenier, and Romulan are all races of those species.) As Vulcans can live to 200 years old or longer, it follows that Romulans can also do so. This puts the age of 55 at about one quarter through a Romulan's lifespan, or, in human terms, their mid 20s.

Suddenly D'tan's attitudes and actions make a lot more sense, don't they? He's a young man out to change the world who wasn't vested in the old system in the same way.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    That said, I don't know how could Jouret possibly fall under Republic ownership, given that the faction was conceived less then a year ago (in STO timeframe). Maybe it would be understandable if it was a Romulan (RSE) colony system that decided to join the Republic, but as you said - we have no evidence mentioning the ownership of Jouret.
    jouret is the former site of the new providence colony until the borg scooped it off the face of the planet...so unless the romulans moved in after that, i doubt it was a romulan colony that defected
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jouret is the former site of the new providence colony until the borg scooped it off the face of the planet...so unless the romulans moved in after that, i doubt it was a romulan colony that defected

Don't worry cryptic will retcon the retcon of the retcon to fix things :D
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited May 2014

To be fair, Jouret shouldn't even be in the Tau Dewa sector block: Jouret Planetary System.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited May 2014
    The leadership of the Romulan Star Empire "acted like a Romulan". And it cost them their homeworlds, much territory, and the lives of billions. D'Tan isn't that stupid.

Actually if you paid any attention at all it was the Tal Shiar that hatched that little scheme and despite their propaganda and personal opinions to the contrary the Tal Shiar are NOT the leadership of the RSE
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    amosov78 wrote: »
    To be fair, Jouret shouldn't even be in the Tau Dewa sector block: Jouret Planetary System.
    It was specifically stated to be on the Federation edge of the NZ though. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Actually if you paid any attention at all it was the Tal Shiar that hatched that little scheme and despite their propaganda and personal opinions to the contrary the Tal Shiar are NOT the leadership of the RSE

Nope. At this point they're a state unto themselves and the RSE as we knew it basically doesn't exist anymore.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    However, I get the feeling that the Republic's successes have made them a bit cocky.

Romulans also love to get cocky. They're not going to be talked into accepting a second-class status, and any attempt to humble them into doing so is going to cause far more problems than it'd solve.

The thing about "face" is that everyone has one. The Federation's "face' is that they're evolved and peaceful and superior to you. The Klingons' is that everything is a Norse saga that they're the heroes in. The Romulans' is that they're constantly on a quest of power and dignity for their families and country.

Trying to humble the Republic would be like calling the Klingons a bunch of stupid nerds who're acting out a juvenile fantasy, or telling the Federation that they're a pack of arrogant racists who kill people all the time and still act superior. Even if that's your opinion, you don't say it in the middle of a delicate diplomatic situation, unless you're North Korea or something. The whole point of diplomacy is coming up with a way where everyone walks away with their separate viewpoints satisfied while maintaining their own interests. Sometimes, that creates some weird situations, but it generally works out best that way.

As for the border of the Republic, that sort of thing will take years (or decades) to work out. The vast majority of Romulan space is held by a government (if it still exists) that is tied up with in-fighting and corruption, and possibly illegitimate.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited May 2014

The Tal Shiar is/was a governmental entity of the Romulan Star Empire. They were not some stand-alone, off the books entity like Section 31. They had immense power and influence in the political landscape of the Empire, to the point of playing kingmaker (like secret police entities have done in real life past history) and using fear to keep the Senate and nobility in-line with the Praetor's agendas.

They may not have been "the" Empire. But they have always had a disproportional amount of power and influence, when compared to the Senate. To the point where they were a de-facto "shadow government" with the Praetor as the "head" (whom they betrayed in favor of the Iconians, as the new "king"), and had no real oversight of their operations/schemes.

But my point in that post was mostly aimed at the Senate and Praetor, whose typical Romulan xenophobia and culture of treachery/suspicion, led them to ignore the warnings and offers of assistance until it was too late for the billions on Romulus and Remus.

Acting like "real" Romulans sealed their fate. And helped destroy one of the greatest Empires in the quadrant.

D'Tan is on the right path with his new ideas of a Romulan society. I just hope he doesn't turn into the typical scheming Romulan TRIBBLE of old.

@shaanithegreen

Romulans also love to get cocky. They're not going to be talked into accepting a second-class status, and any attempt to humble them into doing so is going to cause far more problems than it'd solve.

The thing about "face" is that everyone has one. The Federation's "face' is that they're evolved and peaceful and superior to you. The Klingons' is that everything is a Norse saga that they're the heroes in. The Romulans' is that they're constantly on a quest of power and dignity for their families and country.

Trying to humble the Republic would be like calling the Klingons a bunch of stupid nerds who're acting out a juvenile fantasy, or telling the Federation that they're a pack of arrogant racists who kill people all the time and still act superior. Even if that's your opinion, you don't say it in the middle of a delicate diplomatic situation, unless you're North Korea or something. The whole point of diplomacy is coming up with a way where everyone walks away with their separate viewpoints satisfied while maintaining their own interests. Sometimes, that creates some weird situations, but it generally works out best that way.

As for the border of the Republic, that sort of thing will take years (or decades) to work out. The vast majority of Romulan space is held by a government (if it still exists) that is tied up with in-fighting and corruption, and possibly illegitimate.

While I don't agree 100% on all points, you make a very good argument here. Good food for thought. I only wish that all such discussions went this way on these boards.

@shpoks

That's a tricky one to guess without being established by the writers either in canon or in STO. I'm not talking about Jouret alone, but in general.
    I hope it's evident to everyone that the borders we see on the Star Trek map are not actually borders in the conventional sense. They way I look at them, they represent a certain factions domain, but that doesn't necessarily mean they represent ownership on everything within. For certain factions those borders may in fact represent ownership, but it's not so black/white in the entire galaxy.
    For example, the native Orion homeworld as well as Nausicaa are well within the Federation borders on the Star Trek charts. And if you happen to be interested in reading the planets' descriptions in STO (those pop-ups as you approach them), you'll notice that many systems that fall within Federation borders are in fact independent and not part of the Federation.

You are absolutely correct. The whole thing concerning territorial "boundaries" (in a traditional sense) is a convoluted mess (even worse in the game, with it's limitations). Somebody would have to come up with some very detailed star charts to sort it all out for us fans. But I wouldn't take the job. :P
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It was specifically stated to be on the Federation edge of the NZ though. :P

I don't remember that, the New Providence colony on Jouret IV was scooped up by the Borg, just as the Federation and Romulan outposts along the Neutral Zone had been the year before. That didn't mean that it was also situated near the Neutral Zone though.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2014

We do not get “cocky”. We merely remind others that respect is warranted when addressing us, should they forget. Should they forget a second time, then we become… passionate, but not cocky.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The Klingons have an entire functional language. One of them served on the bridge of the Enterprise, and is the longest running character in all of Trek. We see Captain Kirk grow to hate them and eventually come to forgive them. I think it's safe to say that they are better developed.

We spend seven seasons getting to know the Cardassians and the people they've hurt, watching them rise, fall, rise again, and fall again. The shows tell us that the Tal Shiar is terrifying, but we actually SEE the Obsidian Order at work on several occasions. We get Garrick as an important window into their culture, being a better spy and backstabber than any Romulan is ever shown being throughout the entire run from of the TNG era.

The Dominion has three main races, each of which has as much (or more) development and nuance than the Romulans throughout most of TNG, one of which is a beloved main character in all seven seasons of DS9.

Even the BORG, who have no culture and who are not individuals, eventually get a main character in Seven of Nine to explore their viewpoint and what it means to be Borg over many episodes.

Do the Romulans ever get anything like that in TNG? Short answer: no. Long answer: noooooooooooooooooooo. We get Tomalok's smug face, Sela showing up every now and then, and like three episodes total that show Romulan society, and they become a minor plot point in the Dominion War arc.

cut the rest to make my point here, remember reading a interview with ENT creators who said going forward ENT would have been based on the earth Romulan war we would have found out that ta'pol was half romulan (her farther being a rommie agent) and would have gone into detail over the romulan empire and its relations with starfleet, which is why im so saddened that it was canned.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok