What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

S9: Graphic max settings now making my GPU/CPU struggle

Comments

• Options
    xain06xain06 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Ok so I've been playing for years now, and I played approx. 8 months ago. I deployed so I wasn't able to recently, but I got back on the other day updated and played with the same settings I've always had, and it's been saying my RAM isn't up to the task but I've got 16 GB of RAM is that not enough or is something else wrong making my computer not allow STO to use it?
  • Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    aureleus wrote: »
    He doesn't say WHERE he was getting that FPS at, it could have been on Drazona or even Vulcan >.>. I highly Doubt a 750Ti is out FPS'ing a rig with an i7 at 4GHz+ paired with SLI'ed GTX 590s or even a single 780Ti *Note that's not My Rig lolz*.

Even when set to full performance mode via the Nvidia Control Center, the fact that S9 is so poorly optimized makes getting higher then 60 FPS on average very hard with the new content, unless you have a very beefy system and have tweaked certain settings in game to allow it. An even then ppl with beefy systems are having issues with S9 that really shouldn't be.

As I have said before, you know something it very Wrong when you can play BF4 on Ultra preset minus AA at 1080p and average better more consistent FPS then when you play STO at 1080p o.O. An STO's a 4 year old game >.>.

Not had an Nvidia card in a long time, so can't say to any cpanel settings, but you should not need to do what you have described. It's just, well it's just beyond belief almost that if we want to play the game, that kinda work is involved.

True that he didn't say where he was getting that FPS rate. Maybe it was on a map loading screen. :D
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    thelatathelata Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ill throw in my 2 cents,its simple cryptic botched something during s9 programming,before s9 my old laptop could play sto at medium settings,now its struggling at everything minimum,my new laptop could play sto s8 at everything at max settings,now its struggling at medium settings,put simple something in the programming has botched peoples graphics:mad:
  • Options
    dsarisdsaris Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Don't know what the problem is... but I have had to majorly dial back my graphics with S9. I used to be able to run medium-high settings comfortably with no hint of lag. Now I'm back to medium-low settings and still lag some in 20-man missions or areas with a lot of SPAM (like SB24 or the Undine BZ).

AMD A4 APU (Dual Core)... with 8 gigs of DDR3.

Whatever they did to make things "better"... made them WORSE.
  • Options
    therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    th3xr34p3r wrote: »
    Considering by now every gamer and their monkey's uncle is on a 64bit OS (unless its a custom application), I fail to see why dev's are still using 32bit engines when games like star citizen are dropping it in favor of the the double-point precision with 64bit to get more out of their game.

FFS, we had/have Frostbite 2, Nitrous, REDengine3 and now Cryengine moving/moved to 64bit, I have not seen any info on the others in that area as of yet only new ways to simplify game dev work and render tech.

Boggles the mind at times it does.

Because totally transitioning towards a new engine costs way too much with very little return for cryptic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    therealmt wrote: »
    Because totally transitioning towards a new engine costs way too much with very little return for cryptic.

Smaller games that fit comfortably into the 2 GB limits of 32-bit processes have no particular need for 64-bit native versions in the short term. On the other hand, AAA titles are already transitioning to 64-bit native executables. In some cases, these are purely internal builds to better handle debugging, unoptimized content, and rapid iteration. In the long run, it makes sense to ship these to customers.

Shipping 64-bit native applications will become the norm as 32-bit systems are retired or upgraded. Even many laptops are x64 capable. In fact, today’s gaming laptops often come with 4 GB or more RAM. While the use of 64-bit pointers can increase an application’s memory footprint somewhat, structure packing and optimization can bring a 64-bit application in line with an equivalent 32-bit application.

Such x64 native applications gain the performance benefits of extra registers. They can assume SSE2 to transition away from the less efficient x87 FP stack model. They also eliminate the fairly small marshaling costs of Win32 system calls on Windows x64 bypassing WOW64. Future development efforts of compilers, and other tools will shift from being 32-bit focused to 64-bit only. At that point, memory addressability is no longer the primary driving reason to move to x64 native applications.

There are two main challenges to the future of x64 native games beyond the traditional issue of market penetration and adoption: third-party “middleware” solutions and tools and the use of deprecated technologies.

And we can see these issues being challenged and addressed as game devs move more onto the linux builds of their engines for better support in the long term.

And here is how to port 32bit engines to 64bit for windows: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee418798.aspx#porting_applications_to_64-bit_platforms
    So again I repeat it boggles the mind as to why we are still gaming on 32bit only game engines in this day and age with 64bit gaming systems being the majority of the consumer base.
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • Options
    gabrielinwestmingabrielinwestmin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yes.. for the love of the game PLEASE FIX THE GRAPHICS !!!! Betcha a million people have now mentioned this over and over.. PLEASE!

Do a emergency patch, take the servers offline for 4 hours, I doubt people would care as long as you guys fix the graphics bug that causes these incredible frame rate stutters and disappearing weapons and shields
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Greywolf Taskforce - Officer of the Fleet
  • Options
    casper32433casper32433 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have an AMD FX 6100 6 core 3.71 GHZ, 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600 MHZ, 120GB SATA 3 solid state hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti running at 1080p hd, and running Windows 7 64 bit. Since S9 launched in any STF involving more than 15 ships the lag made it unplayable, the only way i have been able to solve this problem was to lower graphics to 720p and turn the video card slider all the way to low and sometimes min, when it had been running on high b4 s9 @ 1080p. Unfortunately in doing so the graphics have suffered. Please do what needs to be done to fix this problem so that the game can become graphically enjoyable again.
  • Options
    virkolvirkol Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I really do fail to see why they needed to change the Graphic Options anyway. The one thing I loved about STO was the fact that it's options for graphics was almost completely slider based with other drop-box menu's for certain things and they've gone and changed that to pretty much full drop-box based preset options, Why? I mean. I never had issues with STO before they did this and pre-S9 I could run the game with almost every on max. I'm not struggling to play with it on medium and quite frankly? I refuse to play with everything on minimum.

I never had one issue with the graphic options before hand, So they changed something that from what I'm aware of? Worked perfectly fine and managed to botch quite a bit up. Why would they change it? I'm guessing they're trying to make it more 'casual' and 'easier to use' for the people who aren't overly tech savvy. I just wish they had given us the option to switch between "Basic" (presets) and "Advanced" (All the sliders + Options.) But. Things were somehow botched with the changes.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Guys, stop posting your system specs. 95% of the people who plays STO have enough computer power to run it at mid-max settings. At least, they should. As we said millions of times, cryptic screwed up the game engine. And it doesnt matter if you have the best computer in the world.

But i am more concerned with the harm the game is doing to all our graphic cards. Some of us, like my case, are just running the game at the same fps than before (in my case around 60-70 fps) but the BIG difference is the work the graphic card is doing. When a graphic card takes excessive heat, due to the excessive work, that is really bad and we are making our graphic cards to live half of the life they should.

The problem is, a lot of people will never notice this, since they are fine because they still can play the game with a high rate of fps. And they dont even considered to check their graphic cards temperature.
    So, at this rate some of us will have to replace a graphic card that, in my case is not even 2 years old. We could say cryptic is "breaking" my graphic card. In the months of june - july and august, i AM NOT GOING TO PLAY STO, since i dont want to see my graphic card to burn and i am not a rich people to buy a graphic ard every year. If cryptic is not going to fix this, at least they could say it, so a lot of people can stop playing knowing they will never be able to play STO in proper conditions again.
  • Options
    geeman694geeman694 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    should I be concerned how come after the season 9 update all my grapics went to the lowest it can go and I cant seem to turn them back to normal? Its really annoying is anyone having the same issue?
  • Options
    greuceangreucean Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cryptic, fix the damn thing.... please. Or at least say SOMETHING.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well, I can't claim that "EVERYTHING IS ON MAX", quite the contrary. I run the game at low-mid settings and everything worked fine for years. With S9, I'm back to 5-10 minute loading screens in social hubs and just now have joined an KASE STF which was unplayable because two people were spamming A2B FAW beams, framerate went down to 2 fps or something, had to ALT+F4 out of the game because I couldn't even reach the menus.

It's not only the high-end that does have issues, the low end which could make the game work very well faces problems that were solved two years ago at least.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Still no word from the Devs I see.....

A video game with video problems.... Ironic isn't it. :confused:
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Still no word from the Devs I see.....

A video game with video problems.... Ironic isn't it. :confused:

I guess we will need to wait until definitely things get worst and NOBODY can play lol. So the devs will have no option but to tell us something :P honestly this is ridiculous.
  • Options
    philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I guess we will need to wait until definitely things get worst and NOBODY can play lol. So the devs will have no option but to tell us something :P honestly this is ridiculous.

Until it affects the revenue stream, this will continue to be lower priority. The game is still playable.... parts of it that is.

Doffing, ground, single player missions.... who needs massive multiplayer space battles in an MMO anyways.... :P
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Since my win7 partition decided to TRIBBLE itself, I'm in the process of doing a clean install to 8.1 (doubt there will be much if any performance difference between the two for sto but was due to make the swap to it eventually) will let you know my results once I have everything back up and running.
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I noticed a severe drop in FPS last night while downing a dino in the park region of the Dyson sphere. Bad enough to make it almost unusable for about 10 to 20 seconds. My gfx card is working at near 80 to 90% most of the time now.

Unfortunately, as past experience proves (Previous Graphics issue thread), you wont hear from the devs until they pinpoint the issue and can fix it.

I personally find that annoying in the extreme, and borders on rudeness to customers.

It's as if they don't want to acknowledge that something is wrong until they have a fix for it when all we, as users, want is a word or two to confirm they are working on it. Which I'm sure they are doing.

It seems that gfx issues are the biggest problem with this game engine right now. I sincerely doubt they are ignoring them.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Although considering the lack of any kind of acknowledgement (the problem hasn't even appeared in 'Known Issues' in any post-S9 patch notes) and ticket responses that, basically, say "we did upgrades and it's not our problem that your hardware can't deal with them" are, shall we say, about as far from encouraging as it's possible to be.

If that's the excuse they are giving in tickets then they are full of ****. There has been 0 improvements to the visual quality of this games max graphics setting since season 9 came out. Sure ESD looks nicer, but it looks no nicer than the romulan bridges and other new maps that we had since Season 8 when the game didn't run like ****. Space graphics haven't improved in the slightest over pre S9. They ****ed up, they don't want to admit they ****ed up because then they have to fix it, simple as that. Meanwhile the game continues to die as more and more players leave because of this issue and many others.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    It's as if they don't want to acknowledge that something is wrong until they have a fix for it when all we, as users, want is a word or two to confirm they are working on it. Which I'm sure they are doing.

LOL. You are assuming a lot.. seriously. You still dont know cryptic?? ow.. lol.

The only solution is to go back to the things before S9, and i dont think that will ever happen. They "worked" so much to bring us the "great" season 9, i dont think they will have the guts to revert the changes to before S9. I wish they could, but it is a really long shot. I knew this moment will come, sooner or later, i said in the forums millions of times. A time when the game will be so badly damaged that will be impossible to play. Well, tell me how your videocards feels 2 months from here. I always thought this was a cryptic strategy to break the game for good and start losing customers (since they obviously want to throw the game into the trash for good, as i see) at slow steps. Because this make no sense at all. I never saw something like this on any videogame. So, i cant find any explanations, at least any logical and reasonable explanation. It doesnt matter if they improve the graphics of the game (which is totally false), still, this game will should not require a new computer, its stupid, so they cant say to you that the hardware you have is not enougn. It is ibviously a problem of the game engine and the changes they did, and if they say otherwise, then cryptic is really messing up with their customers really badly. But as you checked tons of times, people really doesnt care, specially rich ones that waste a lot of zen every month, or the life subscribers as well. Its always the same story, unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    LOL. You are assuming a lot.. seriously. You still dont know cryptic?? ow.. lol.

The only solution is to go back to the things before S9, and i dont think that will ever happen. They "worked" so much to bring us the "great" season 9, i dont think they will have the guts to revert the changes to before S9. I wish they could, but it is a really long shot. I knew this moment will come, sooner or later, i said in the forums millions of times. A time when the game will be so badly damaged that will be impossible to play. Well, tell me how your videocards feels 2 months from here. I always thought this was a cryptic strategy to break the game for good and start losing customers (since they obviously want to throw the game into the trash for good, as i see) at slow steps. Because this make no sense at all. I never saw something like this on any videogame. So, i cant find any explanations, at least any logical and reasonable explanation. It doesnt matter if they improve the graphics of the game (which is totally false), still, this game will should not require a new computer, its stupid, so they cant say to you that the hardware you have is not enougn. It is ibviously a problem of the game engine and the changes they did, and if they say otherwise, then cryptic is really messing up with their customers really badly. But as you checked tons of times, people really doesnt care, specially rich ones that waste a lot of zen every month, or the life subscribers as well. Its always the same story, unfortunately.

I'm a lifer since beta and I care *blinks*
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    th3xr34p3r wrote: »
    I'm a lifer since beta and I care *blinks*

I'm a lifer too and I find anyone assuming I don't care quite frankly insulting. If I didn't care I wouldn't be posting here!!!

Oh and I am FAR from rich.

@edgecrysger its pretty obvious you are angry but please don't trample all over others with statements like that when we care just as much.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    I'm a lifer too and I find anyone assuming I don't care quite frankly insulting. If I didn't care I wouldn't be posting here!!!

Oh and I am FAR from rich.

@edgecrysger its pretty obvious you are angry but please don't trample all over others with statements like that when we care just as much.

Yup you right. Of course i assume not all lfsers are "OK" with the way cryptic is doing things. I apologize. But anyways, its sad to see a lot of em are really pushing cryptic to keep doing what they have been doing until now, just new content , bugged content and no fixes at all. And things like performance issues should be the very first things on line to fix. I just dont accept that A LOT of people that always are "OK" with the ways of cryptic are lfers. And if people keep giving money to cryptic, this will never change and of course forget about these performance issues to be fixed.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yup you right. Of course i assume not all lfsers are "OK" with the way cryptic is doing things. I apologize. But anyways, its sad to see a lot of em are really pushing cryptic to keep doing what they have been doing until now, just new content , bugged content and no fixes at all. And things like performance issues should be the very first things on line to fix. I just dont accept that A LOT of people that always are "OK" with the ways of cryptic are lfers. And if people keep giving money to cryptic, this will never change and of course forget about these performance issues to be fixed.

I understand your passion sir, I truly do :)

Unfortunately you are right that there will always be those that are happy to pour money into game regardless of faults.

The graphic issues with the engine are seemingly increasing though. Affecting people with high-end and low-end systems. I just wonder how long it will be before it affects all in some degree.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I love to do NWS, but after s9 its a no go, when the enemys come from all sides the lag makes it impossible.
    i have a gtx-580, 3gb.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I have a GTX650ti direct cu II with 2gb, 16 GB RAM, a core i5 3570, blah blah, more than enough to run this game at max settings and not even sweat. In fact that is what im doing. With the exception of the undine battlezone, some fleet alerts, sometimes the tau dewa partrol mission and a few more zones, i always play at 60-70 fps all the time. With all settings maxed. In undine battlezon, and the other zones, i cant reach more than 5-10 fps. But because as we said, it is a problem of the game engine, nothing more.

That is not a problem for me. What is a problem, as i said tons of times, is that, playing any other game, like BF4 for example, my videocard temp only reaches 55-60c at most, but playing STO, ONLY playing STO, it raises to 70 - 75c. So, the next month, that number will be almost 90c. And of course i am not going to play STO at that temp. Not if i dont want to buy a new card the next year. So, its obvious that the game engine is pushing videocards too much, for unkown and UNNECESSARY reasons.
  • Options
    aureleusaureleus Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sounds like they need to implement Mantle into STO's engine :/ *That would be cool IF they did*. However the likely hood of them doing that is even slimmer then them Fixing this Known issue with the current rendering engine >.>.

The fact that they haven't even acknowledged the issue is Really Annoying, it proves that they Don't care what so ever about there player base and are only concerned with profits. An even if that is the case, if they really cared about there profit income they'd fix issues that force players to leave once there fed up with it. An this graphics issue is Definitely one of those issues that will force players to leave STO out of frustration.

So Cryptic! Get off your Lazy TRIBBLE and fix it! :P
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Well, if thats the case, once cryptic keep releasing more content, the effects will be exponentially bigger lol. And at that point, no one will be able to play anymore, so i guess the profits are gone. So i really dont see the point here. As i said, i suspect this is a strategy to start making people to think on stop playing. There must be a reason cryptic wants to just end STO, but since there are a lot of players now, they need to do it in some smooth way lol.

I bet that all the players that are really ok when cryptic announces a new fancy event, or new c-store re-vamps, or a new esd, or watever, instead of fixing bugs and listening to their customers, are the ones who will regret more when one day cryptic announces the end of STO, and then everyone of em will ask "why??? i dont understand.." lol. Of course you dont, even if you are playing at 4 fps lol. I really see this coming, because if we think like logical persons, its the only path this will take if cryptic keep doing nothing, unfortunately.

But lets grab a little hope and see if cryptic is just working on this in "silence", thats the only hope i have right now.

And i am concerned, but i cant imagine other players that are playing at 15-20 fps. That must be really frustrating. And we are talking about a 4 years old game.. lol. Its a question of taste, i will never play a game at crappy settings. I go to play mario bross instead. Specially if that game should be played at hyper mega max settings in the new computers (2-3 years old).

Come on, cryptic!, we dont want to see this game going to the obvlivion!!.
  • Options
    metaphorgrandemetaphorgrande Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Still crickets from Cryptic on this issue huh? Please just say anything, my goodness!
  • Options
    phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Still crickets from Cryptic on this issue huh? Please just say anything, my goodness!

don't worry, when they finally break the game(or at least make it unplayable for most of playerbase) they'll say something =D