test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

S9: Graphic max settings now making my GPU/CPU struggle

Comments

• captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    aureleus wrote: »
    lolz that vid :D. An no I'd leave that filter off actually.

In your Catalyst Control Center, in the *Gaming* tab in the sub category 3D App settings, for your current HD 8670 I'd use these settings.

In the Anti-Aliasing area *Top*

*Top to bottom*

Use Application Settings

Use Application Settings

Standard

Multisampling

Off

Next Section.

Texture Filtering.

Use Application Settings

x16

High Quality

On

Next Section.

Frame Rate Control.

On, Unless Application Specifies

On

Next Section.

Tessellation.

Use Application Settings

Use Application Settings

Remember this is Going from Top of the list to the Bottom of the list. Based on each section within the Catalyst Control Center.

Hope this helps in game some :P These are Basically what settings I use for my 270X, I then just change the settings in game an go from there lolz.

Just what I needed.

Man I came to the right place, you guys in this thread are pro.

Many Thanks. I'll drop a line to tell you how it works out. Other than that good night.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Ow, its curious to see how a lot of graphic options are totally different from the Radeon cards and the Nvidia ones lol.

By the way, is the Tessellation a selectable option in the radeon panel??? :eek: that is really amazing.. i thought that method of parsing things like hair and really small objects was only available if the game had the option.

As far as i know Tessellation is probably the option that more resources drain from the videocard. So even if the game is not using it, and you have it activated , turn it off!. Anyways i dont think a game that has no use of tesellation will use it, but just in case..
  • aureleusaureleus Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Ow, its curious to see how a lot of graphic options are totally different from the Radeon cards and the Nvidia ones lol.

By the way, is the Tessellation a selectable option in the radeon panel??? :eek: that is really amazing.. i thought that method of parsing things like hair and really small objects was only available if the game had the option.

As far as i know Tessellation is probably the option that more resources drain from the videocard. So even if the game is not using it, and you have it activated , turn it off!. Anyways i dont think a game that has no use of tesellation will use it, but just in case..

Yes all the options with in the 3D Application Settings tab have pull downs for selecting different options. An there's actually quite a lot of options :P. Mine is set so that I have max quality plus max performance, since I don't use AA. Which I leave as Application Controlled. This way my video driver isn't messing with my game in an adverse way when I start it up. Some games will have issues if AA is forced via the video driver and not with the in game options.

Also his HD8670 can use tessellation, and STO does use *Some* tessellation. Its just not on say the same level as Star Citizen :).

An since using DX11 with my 270X which I upgraded from an HD4890, even with my tessellation settings set to *AMD Optimized* I still get Far better and smoother FPS then with my HD4890 in DX9 LOL.
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Speedtest.net and post your results
    Pingtest.net and post your results

stuttering is indicative of extreme latency, NOT system performance, you may need to update your NIC driver, or upgrade to Cable. If you live on West Coast of the US you should NEVER see this latency as the STO servers are located in California.

The double edged sword these days that people do not realize is that if your CPU is a bit dated, then you are hurting yourself when you choose "Minimal" settings, as a lot of the tasks asked of the GPU are handed off to the CPU when you switch to "Minimal" rendering the GPU into just a relay of the CPU's progress. I recommend using Medium or just below settings, NEVER use the lowest. you can get the best performance out of STO by turning off AA.

"Stuttering" is telling me a connectivity issue, if it were your system you would experience such things as extremely reduced frame rates, use FRAPS to give a real time read out of your frame rate. Fraps is simple and easy to use, so it shouldn't be rocket science, just read everything and react accordingly. NOTE: Fraps must remain running to work, you can minimize it, but the window you cannot close, as it will close the program.

Game server is located in Boston. Do a trace route you can follow it there.
    320x240.jpg
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yes all the options with in the 3D Application Settings tab have pull downs for selecting different options. An there's actually quite a lot of options :P. Mine is set so that I have max quality plus max performance, since I don't use AA. Which I leave as Application Controlled. This way my video driver isn't messing with my game in an adverse way when I start it up. Some games will have issues if AA is forced via the video driver and not with the in game options.

Also his HD8670 can use tessellation, and STO does use *Some* tessellation. Its just not on say the same level as Star Citizen :).

An since using DX11 with my 270X which I upgraded from an HD4890, even with my tessellation settings set to *AMD Optimized* I still get Far better and smoother FPS then with my HD4890 in DX9 LOL.

Yay, i know. It is the same for nvidia cards, but what i was asking is. My videocard supports tesellation as well (and it is an "old" gtx650) (already played a few games with tesselation effects) but i never saw any option related to it in the nvidia control panel. Its true that i dont update the control panel since a long time ago :D, so maybe im missing something.

And no. I dont think that STO uses tessellation LMAO. There is not place in the game to use that rendering method. And i never saw anything that will be possibly rendered with tesselation. And Tesellation was not even present in any videogame AFTER STO, not before. In fact, i think a couple of years ago, maybe three. Anyways, STO doesnt have enough rendering level to be able to use advanced rendering methods like tesellation. Not by far lol.

But only a few games are prepared to use tesellation effects, so that was my question. Its really weird that you have an option to "control" tesellation, since it is more an specific game option than anything else.
    edited May 2014
    I had to go back in and turn the Open GL Triple Buffering off, the Texture filtering back on Application settings, and the Tesselation mode to AMD optimized, using Auraleus' settings cut into my frame rate. It's back to smooth now.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    edited May 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    I had to go back in and turn the Open GL Triple Buffering off, the Texture filtering back on Application settings, and the Tesselation mode to AMD optimized, using Aureleus' settings cut into my frame rate. It's back to smooth now.

Tripple Buffering should actually help. Try changing that one and leave the rest as is and see how that go's. If it cause's any issues then just switch it back. This will also help determine or prove my point with your HD8670 being the weak link in the system. Also lowering the Visual FX setting should help.
    edited May 2014
    Tripple Buffering should actually help. Try changing that one and leave the rest as is and see how that go's. If it cause's any issues then just switch it back. This will also help determine or prove my point with your HD8670 being the weak link in the system. Also lowering the Visual FX setting should help.

Roger. Will do good buddy.
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm curious to know how messing with settings works for other people who perhaps have comparable systems to my own. I've spent a lot of time trying combinations to restore performance on Max, but alas no dice so far.

We still have faith in the devs to resolve the FPS problems, graphics issues in general so let us hope they are at least thinking about it, if not directly working on it.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So I decided to go into my motherboard bios and set the pcie latency from 64 to 128 since I am running a single gpu build and no other pcie devices atm.

Thus far my results are as follow:

Vicious Cycle (no sound): 30-40fps in combat full fx render
    Vicious Cycle (Sound): 20-30fps in combat full fx render

CE: Both with and without sound the results are the same, when looking at the CE with everyone else firing and their fx going off I noticed that it did render mine at above 35fps and anything below that it would randomly decide to render mine and the others or not depending on where I looked.
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
    edited May 2014
    th3xr34p3r wrote: »
    So I decided to go into my motherboard bios and set the pcie latency from 64 to 128 since I am running a single gpu build and no other pcie devices atm.

Thus far my results are as follow:

Vicious Cycle (no sound): 30-40fps in combat full fx render
    Vicious Cycle (Sound): 20-30fps in combat full fx render

CE: Both with and without sound the results are the same, when looking at the CE with everyone else firing and their fx going off I noticed that it did render mine at above 35fps and anything below that it would randomly decide to render mine and the others or not depending on where I looked.

I don't see how it should be expected that we'd need to even consider doing something like this to try and alleviate issues that have either arisen or has been the straw to break teh camel's back with S9.

If anything works for anybody, great, but this ultimately can only be something for Cryptic to address.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
    edited May 2014
    I don't see how it should be expected that we'd need to even consider doing something like this to try and alleviate issues that have either arisen or has been the straw to break teh camel's back with S9.

If anything works for anybody, great, but this ultimately can only be something for Cryptic to address.

I was curious to what my results would be and wanted to post them to see if they be any use for others since I never really played around with that particular bios setting.
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
    edited May 2014
    I was curious to what my results would be and wanted to post them to see if they be any use for others since I never really played around with that particular bios setting.

Out of curiosity I went and had a go with this. Nothing, nada, zip, zero. Not surprised.
    edited May 2014
    Out of curiosity I went and had a go with this. Nothing, nada, zip, zero. Not surprised.

*shrugs* prob a placebo for me then.
    edited May 2014
    *shrugs* prob a placebo for me then.

Most likely is, the main problem is with the engine its self. So really, no matter what kind of PC you have or beefed up it maybe the engine is just too poorly coded and unoptimized atm to really see any gains with tweaking anything.

Were just going to have to hope that cryptic gets off there arses and does something about it. Cause I don't like buying a new video card thinking I'd get better performance in all the games I do play and then after one update the one game I play the most now has the worst FPS issues, yet its one of my older games I play O.O.....that makes no sense what so ever on a performance standpoint....

You know something is Very Wrong when you can play BF4 on Ultra at 1080p minus AA and get better more consistent FPS then in a 4 year old MMO that's graphics are no where near what BF4 has...hell I get better FPS on Skyrim, and I have over 150 mods, most of which are cosmetic related :O.

So Ya erm Cryptic, you need to do something about this Graphics issue cause it is really starting to get on peoples Nerves. >.>
    edited May 2014
    So Ya erm Cryptic, you need to do something about this Graphics issue cause it is really starting to get on peoples Nerves. >.>...

This I guess. :(
    edited May 2014
    Well in terms of our problem we've been left out of patch notes and known issues again. Sighs. :(
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    They have just been piling it on assuming that their old 32bit engine is going to handle it and it's just not up to the task. I have yet to see what is so great about these updated graphics? They don't look any better, the only difference that I can see is noticably poorer performance in areas where I've never had a problem before.
    Any settings that I change in graphics makes very little difference in frame rate but if I turn off the hud my frame rate doubles instantly, this leads me to suspect that one of the culprits is in how that is being processed.
    Not even a mention in Known issues is not very reassuring. I for one have no intention of sinking three grand in a high end game computer just to be able to play this game when it works fine for many other titles, especially when players who have such systems are among those having problems with whatever the hell they've done to this game.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yet another week with no acknowledgement from Cryptic. These guys no how to throw players away from there game. Let's first make it unplayable then not answer players when they ask legitimate questions.

Here are some quick tips on how to keep your player base happy.

Acknowledge bugs
    Fix bugs
    Communicate with player base( it is alright to have bugs, most players understand they happen, it to ignore the players is inexcusable. I would be happy with a post that said this.)

We are aware of the graphic issues some players are having. We currently have a team dedicated to fixing such issues. Then list a dev that is in charge of the team that is troubleshooting the problem. That way the player base can look for post from that dev.

What in the hell is the dev tracker for if the Devs don't post in it what they are working on.
    320x240.jpg
  • gabrielinwestmingabrielinwestmin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Just a plain jane Core i7 4770k CPU with 8 Measily gigs of DDR3 RAM (2133 speed) and a GeForce 750ti and I have all the graphics options set all the way high even with VSync enabled. No problems on my end, I get average of 50 frames per second and sometimes it will drop to oh.... 43.

The only thing I do before launching STO is to make sure my graphics card power setting is set to maximum performance instead of balanced.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Greywolf Taskforce - Officer of the Fleet
    edited May 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    They have just been piling it on assuming that their old 32bit engine is going to handle it and it's just not up to the task. I have yet to see what is so great about these updated graphics? They don't look any better, the only difference that I can see is noticably poorer performance in areas where I've never had a problem before.
    Any settings that I change in graphics makes very little difference in frame rate but if I turn off the hud my frame rate doubles instantly, this leads me to suspect that one of the culprits is in how that is being processed.
    Not even a mention in Known issues is not very reassuring. I for one have no intention of sinking three grand in a high end game computer just to be able to play this game when it works fine for many other titles, especially when players who have such systems are among those having problems with whatever the hell they've done to this game.

Considering by now every gamer and their monkey's uncle is on a 64bit OS (unless its a custom application), I fail to see why dev's are still using 32bit engines when games like star citizen are dropping it in favor of the the double-point precision with 64bit to get more out of their game.

FFS, we had/have Frostbite 2, Nitrous, REDengine3 and now Cryengine moving/moved to 64bit, I have not seen any info on the others in that area as of yet only new ways to simplify game dev work and render tech.

Boggles the mind at times it does.
  • carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    TWENTY FOUR pages on this and not a single word from Cryptic? Not even a "we are aware and investigating". Disgraceful. I haven't spent money on this game for over five months and have no plans to do so with this kind of respect for their players.
  • tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    And it's still borked too...
    I'm surprised that no one has threatened to take this matter to the Better Business Bureau. With how many players are effected by this issue, and the fact that Cryptic has yet to even achknowlage the issue makes you wonder if they really even care about there player base.

If they really care about keeping profits rolling in then they need to fix this issue, cause as it is going to the new battle zone or doing any of the new content kills our FPS.
    edited May 2014
    Just a plain jane Core i7 4770k CPU with 8 Measily gigs of DDR3 RAM (2133 speed) and a GeForce 750ti and I have all the graphics options set all the way high even with VSync enabled. No problems on my end, I get average of 50 frames per second and sometimes it will drop to oh.... 43.

The only thing I do before launching STO is to make sure my graphics card power setting is set to maximum performance instead of balanced.

Dude, for real and that's nice to know. A lot of us have beefier rigs than you and are getting 6FPS or less.

simeion1 - what he said, the only thing I've seen is the vague twitter response I got.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    They have a section in the forum called "Dev Tracker" that they may as well remove, it has not been used since I can not even recall, they never post in it so it serves no other purpose but to remind us that there was better communication once upon a time long ago. Devs do not tell us what they are working on, no acknowledgment of ongoing issues and judging by what shows up in patch notes they seem to be picking and choosing problems to deal with like it's a buffet lunch while other issues just keep getting buried deeper and deeper in the muck.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The only issue with the dev tracker is that it tries to redirect back to page 1.
    edited May 2014

Dude, for real and that's nice to know. A lot of us have beefier rigs than you and are getting 6FPS or less.

simeion1 - what he said, the only thing I've seen is the vague twitter response I got.

He doesn't say WHERE he was getting that FPS at, it could have been on Drazona or even Vulcan >.>. I highly Doubt a 750Ti is out FPS'ing a rig with an i7 at 4GHz+ paired with SLI'ed GTX 590s or even a single 780Ti *Note that's not My Rig lolz*.

Even when set to full performance mode via the Nvidia Control Center, the fact that S9 is so poorly optimized makes getting higher then 60 FPS on average very hard with the new content, unless you have a very beefy system and have tweaked certain settings in game to allow it. An even then ppl with beefy systems are having issues with S9 that really shouldn't be.

As I have said before, you know something it very Wrong when you can play BF4 on Ultra preset minus AA at 1080p and average better more consistent FPS then when you play STO at 1080p o.O. An STO's a 4 year old game >.>.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    He doesn't say WHERE he was getting that FPS at, it could have been on Drazona or even Vulcan >.>. I highly Doubt a 750Ti is out FPS'ing a rig with an i7 at 4GHz+ paired with SLI'ed GTX 590s or even a single 780Ti *Note that's not My Rig lolz*.

Even when set to full performance mode via the Nvidia Control Center, the fact that S9 is so poorly optimized makes getting higher then 60 FPS on average very hard with the new content, unless you have a very beefy system and have tweaked certain settings in game to allow it. An even then ppl with beefy systems are having issues with S9 that really shouldn't be.

As I have said before, you know something it very Wrong when you can play BF4 on Ultra preset minus AA at 1080p and average better more consistent FPS then when you play STO at 1080p o.O. An STO's a 4 year old game >.>.

I recently upgraded my rig, or to be more accurate replaced it almost entirely. Got a nice new core i5 4440, 16GB of ram and an AMD R9 270x 2GB gpu.
    I started up STO with this new rig and saw that in the old interiors where fps hadn't been an issue like DS9 or K7, I was seeing frame rates locked at a rock steady 120 fps with all settings maxed @1920x1080. On the new ESD however, I was getting only very slightly higher frame rates than on my old rig*, around the 20 mark. Juddery, but usable.
    But going into the undine space battlezone was a nightmare. Frame rates as low as ever, even with settings reduced.

*Old rig had reduced settings. No bloom, no post processing, no AA, no shadows, no ssao, no depth of field etc.
    I need a beer.

• xain06xain06 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Ok so I've been playing for years now, and I played approx. 8 months ago. I deployed so I wasn't able to recently, but I got back on the other day updated and played with the same settings I've always had, and it's been saying my RAM isn't up to the task but I've got 16 GB of RAM is that not enough or is something else wrong making my computer not allow STO to use it?